As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy Tactics-Multiplayer!!

ProfsProfs Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I didn't see any thread out there about the recent preview of the game posted by 1up, but the port of the original PS Final Fantasy Tactics for PSP, with a suffix now of War of the Lions, features a number of changes to the original game. Most notably, multiplayer and co-op of some sort. The only thing I ever wanted out of the original Tactics was multiplayer head to head, and the advance version fucking depressed me. For me, this is the penultimate, and may actually force me to buy a PSP. Fuck you Square, may you burn for that. Let the salivating begin.

Link: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3159537&sec=PREVIEWS

Profs on

• imundercoverimundercover Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FFT is still one of my favorite games, ever. I remember having a discussion, years ago, with a friend about how awesome a versus mode could be. Then FFTA let us down with that shitty co-op mode. God, I hope they get the multiplayer right.

imundercover on
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hopefully they add some multiplayer to the upcoming DS Tactics game. I enjoyed FFTA (I didn't play the first one), but not enough to warrant getting a PSP for it. I'll probably pick this one up in a few years when PSPs finally hit the DS price level.

Oh yeah, I'd have to agree that FFTA's coop sucked. A lot.

ikillkenny on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FFT is still one of my favorite games, ever. I remember having a discussion, years ago, with a friend about how awesome a versus mode could be. Then FFTA let us down with that shitty co-op mode. God, I hope they get the multiplayer right.

The only way I can see them fucking this up is to make multiplayer real time or something equally not FFT. They have the system, they just need to let one player control one side and another player control the other side.

Veevee on
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Exactly. The system's been there since the game was made, which is why it pissed me off so much that there wasn't any multi. It doesn't need anything extra in it. Just let you pick the map and your team, and have at it. Honestly, this is the thing I've said, "Christ, I would fucking kill for that" for soooooo long. It...seems surreal. If Starcraft 2 is announced this weekend, along with this now, my dick will start an everlasting ejaculation.

Profs on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Things like this are the reason that time travel should be invented, so I can go back and make my childhood kick ass.

Dondums on
    internet
    edited May 2007
    What...what are you saying? You've never played the game? Whaa!?!?! GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!

Profs on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No, I played it. Many times. I was saying that this should've had multiplayer during my childhood.

Dondums on
    internet
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Profs wrote: »
    So, For me, this is the penultimate, and may actually force me to buy a PSP.

You use this word, but I do not think you know what it means.

pe·nul·ti·mate premium.gifspeaker.gif (pĭ-nŭl'tə-mĭt) Pronunciation Key
    adj.
    1. Next to last.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hopefully it won't involve some kind of "use your characters from your save file" mechanic, because then it will just boil down to whoever has the higher leveled save.

Anyway, this pretty much cements it--I'm a future PSP owner.

Captain K on
  • XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Torgo wrote: »
    Profs wrote: »
    So, For me, this is the penultimate, and may actually force me to buy a PSP.

You use this word, but I do not think you know what it means.

pe·nul·ti·mate premium.gifspeaker.gif (pĭ-nŭl'tə-mĭt) Pronunciation Key
    adj.
    1. Next to last.

I think he means it's the ultimate pen.

Xieflow on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll give you a hint, multiplayer will be an unbalanced mess, a mere add on afterthought and nothing to really look foward to. The chance of it not happening is slim to none. For proof look at the multiplayer in Tactics Ogre:KoL and FFT:A. For a slightly more enjoyable but still broken as all hell experience, try Fire Emblem (GBA) or Fire Emblem:Sacred Stones.

The game is going to be worth it entirely on the merit of an improved localization and possibly faster load times.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm just looking foward to finally getting my hands on it, since it was never released here.

Kelor on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, just in case you haven't noticed (a lot of people don't) -- this doesn't mean online multiplayer. It's local wireless only.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why the hell won't they do online multiplayer? It's turn based! C'mon!

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I hope judges are back.

What?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited May 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I hope judges are back.

What?

Judges and laws are confirmed in FFTA:2.

Wouldn't want it any other way.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited May 2007
    I hope judges are back.

What?

mrburnswj8.gif

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hope judges are back.

What?

If it works the exact same way as it did in FFT:A, I'll be sure to not get it. I wasn't a fan of the judge/law system.

As for the topic at hand...

Using teams from save files would be disasterous in having matches against random people. Playing with friends can often yield more fair results, as in, not being smashed by characters 30 levels higher than yours. Well, unless you play through the game slowly.

Henroid on
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the grammatical update Torgo.

As far as the balance of the game goes, yes, it's very possible the game will be broken in multiplayer with the number of classes they have, but I wouldn't speak assuredly like that until I'd flexed my muscles against a human opponent. There's alot of variety in the classes, and while some shit (like lancer's jump) will be broken, I feel like the game offers so many ways and combinations that it'd still be a great deal of fun, if for no other reason than to fuck around.

The lack of online multiplayer sucks, but I would honestly be using this with my friends most of the time so local wireless doesn't bother me.

Profs on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I never played FFT, but I own FFTA and I hate the judge/law system. It just doesn't make sense in a strategy game.

It's like playing StarCraft and being told you're not allowed to use Hydralisks this round, but they tell you this after you have already developed a system and your forces so that your Hydralisks are awesome. I know there are ways around it, and it wasn't bad when it was just one, but when they get up to 3 laws it just got stupid. I spent more time moving around the map to get the laws just right rather than actually playing the game.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't involve some kind of "use your characters from your save file" mechanic, because then it will just boil down to whoever has the higher leveled save.

This saddens me greatly but it's likely true for me as well.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also need to ban Orlandu from multiplayer to make it last more then one round. God Orlandu is like a God amongst boys in that game.

Brue on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Brue wrote: »
    Also need to ban Calculators from multiplayer to make it last more then one round.
    Fixed for accuracy. I saw amazing shit pulled off in the game by my brother with his Calculator.

Henroid on
    edited May 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yeah, I never played FFT, but I own FFTA and I hate the judge/law system. It just doesn't make sense in a strategy game.

It's like playing StarCraft and being told you're not allowed to use Hydralisks this round, but they tell you this after you have already developed a system and your forces so that your Hydralisks are awesome. I know there are ways around it, and it wasn't bad when it was just one, but when they get up to 3 laws it just got stupid. I spent more time moving around the map to get the laws just right rather than actually playing the game.

I can see why some people might be turned off to the law system. You realize that at any time you can change the jobs of your characters to exploit certain laws, right? Other good FFTA 2 news, experience and most likely job points are handed out to all party members, not just those in that particular battle. This means that if your character doesn't work for a particular challenge, you can just bring another and not worry about over/under leveling.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited May 2007
    Wow, if only there was some RPG where all characters were drawn from the save file, but preset at the same level to keep things fair.

Of course, this game would have to obscure, because nobody would be pissing and moaning about drawing characters from save files for multiplayer if a wildly successful handheld series did such a thing.

:roll:

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Brue wrote: »
    Also need to ban Calculators from multiplayer to make it last more then one round.
    Fixed for accuracy. I saw amazing shit pulled off in the game by my brother with his Calculator.

Black mage with Math skill and Equip Knight Sword
    Equip Excalibur

CT 5 Holy

Game over.

Alternately, Equip Shield and a Fire Shield (CT 5 Fire 3), or Rubber Boots (CT 5 Lightning 3)

Delzhand on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The new Onion Knight class in Lion War makes Orlandu look like a naked level 1 Squire, by the way.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, if only there was some RPG where all characters were drawn from the save file, but preset at the same level to keep things fair.

Of course, this game would have to obscure, because nobody would be pissing and moaning about drawing characters from save files for multiplayer if a wildly successful handheld series did such a thing.

Uhuh. Like after Halo 2's great matchmaking online hosting system we'd never have to put up with shitty console non-matchmaking online again. Fuck, with that I'm at least talking about the same console family.

I return you :roll: and give you another :roll: as well.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited May 2007

Uhuh. Like after Halo 2's great matchmaking online hosting system we'd never have to put up with shitty console non-matchmaking online again. Fuck, with that I'm at least talking about the same console family.

I return you :roll: and give you another :roll: as well.
    What the hell are you going on about?

Everyone is bitching about level disparity with save file characters, and there's a DS game RIGHT NOW selling a gajillion copies with a very elegant solution. A series, mind you, that takes incredible baby steps when it comes to change.

If they go with our own characters for multiplayer and don't address level gaps, the game deserves to be a flop.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited May 2007
    Guess you can't expect everyone to be psychotic and level every character to 99 before the end of the first act. Oh well.

This is another reason I'm not too worried about the balance in the game; some things are just blatantly overpowered in the game (calcs for example), and I'd imagine player-driven bans will come into effect. Something akin to how certain characters are banned in fighting games (Necrid).

Profs on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Necrid is banned because he fucking sucks. I imagine Calculators will be more akin to wavedashing or snaking.

Or maybe not, I guess the argument is that wavedashing/snaking takes skill, whereas Calculators only require basic understanding...

Delzhand on
    edited May 2007
    Clear this up for me, because I'm imagine people pulling off batshit insane math with an actual calculator to somehow dominate this game. It's a class, right?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes, it is an actual class. A very devestating actual class.

But, on the multiplayer note: Must get PSP. There is no option in this for me.

MechMantis on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Clear this up for me, because I'm imagine people pulling off batshit insane math with an actual calculator to somehow dominate this game. It's a class, right?

Yes. It's a class that allows you to cast almost all of your black, white, time, and oracle (can't remember if summons are included - probably not) spells instantly and without MP cost using a series of variables (such as the turn charge timers for characters being a certain number, levels a certain multiple, etc) to determine who is targeted. Built up properly, it's possible to the point of being pathetically easy for a single Calculator to solo the entire game of FFT.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'm so fucking happy I bought my PSP. MGSPO, GTALCS, Socom, and now FFT have made it a very useful gaming tool.

TheSonicRetard on
  • NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I can see why some people might be turned off to the law system. You realize that at any time you can change the jobs of your characters to exploit certain laws, right? Other good FFTA 2 news, experience and most likely job points are handed out to all party members, not just those in that particular battle. This means that if your character doesn't work for a particular challenge, you can just bring another and not worry about over/under leveling.

The only problems I had with the law system is that you can skip a law you do not like by running around on the map, and that some were a little too restrictive (I can not remeber it correctly but I think there was one where you pretty much had to had a beastmaster).

Newres on
    960751-1.png
    edited May 2007

I'm so fucking happy I bought my PSP. MGSPO, GTALCS, Socom, and now FFT have made it a very useful gaming tool.

Don't forget Sonic Rivals!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's no question the multiplayer mode will just use your saves. Sure, Square could develop a kickass system wherein you picked a level for all characters to be, chose a flat number of JP for each team to utilize in fleshing out each character, and a flat amount of money to equip everyone, and that'd be awesome as fuck...but I really don't see that happening.

Vincent Grayson on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I loved soloing FFT with Ramza

good fun =)

Xaquin on
  • imundercoverimundercover Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Black mage with Math skill and Equip Knight Sword
    Equip Excalibur

CT 5 Holy

Game over.

That's awesome. I had a teleporting, chantage-toting, dual-wand, suicide-run Summoner with Draw Out skill. Maximize your magic skill and check out Draw Out's damage.

Crazy characters FTW

imundercover on