As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: done for September, use the next thread

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Indeed, the XNA site for Xbox Indie games has been combined with all this phone stuff. They just got it up and running yesterday iirc.

The Xblig devs are trying to figure out how this, and the new 360 dash, and WP7 is going to effect developers but nobody is really sure yet.

slash000 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    The only way the story can be "months long" is if the few story scenes are put in between ridiculously long grinds and fetch quests.

Or if you don't play all day every day. And it won't be months' long per se, just spaced out, normal play will make it worth the ride for a while.

Like I said, I qualified my post with the obsessive-MMO-player thing calling the game short and walking away from it.

By the way I just read the EA Louse thing, and have one thing to say.

U MAD

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    City of Heros was actually fun.

Mildly successful maybe? Character creator was great, and the game was fun too. I loathe WoW.. I can't even think about it without a bile like taste filling my mouth. I was up until 5 AM once looking for a Mountain Lion femur...

That was when I swore off MMO's and the fetch quest-a-thons.

I wouldn't call it "mildly," it's just a success. The game has been alive for a long time, the just put out a new expansion - they're on good footing. While every MMORPG is their competitor, their direct competitor is Champions Online and for the last few months I haven't seen anyone really talk about that one.

The character creation in CoX is fucking incredible and it should have set an example to the medium as a whole that letting people create their characters' looks in so many different ways helps bolster attachment to that character. My WoW characters don't feel so great since I end up looking like a lot of other people. My CoV characters though, I've only seen one rifle-wielding cowgirl (my corruptor) and one axe-wielding psychotic murderer who dresses in school girl clothes with a creepy mask on (my brute) (or, one of my brutes).

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    There are plenty of MMO's out there that are financially successful.

They are not WoW successful, however. The last five years have been pretty bad. Though this is mostly the fault of the companies behind the games, creating runaway hypetrains and then failing to deliver as they release several months too early. Some of them manage to scrape by with a modest number of subscribers(Age of Conan,Warhammer) , some are just a god damned train wreck (All Points Bulletin).

MMO' makers need to realize reviewers review games. Not patches.

WoW and APB are so extreme in terms of MMO success or lack thereof that it isn't fair to compare the rest of the genre to them, at least if you're trying to create a definition for success. You don't need to be as good as WoW to succeed. You don't need to be as bad as APB to not-succeed (but, man, if you do, Jesus jumped-up Christ).

Henroid on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Champions Online was essentially a better version of CoX's character creator combined with a super-hero styled WoW . It wasn't bad, and I enjoyed it more than CoX, but it was severely lacking in content.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Champions Online was essentially a better version of CoX's character creator combined with WoW's mechanics and a superhero aesthetic. It wasn't bad, and I enjoyed it more than CoX, but it was severely lacking in content.

I didn't get to see the CO character creation first-hand. Seeing what people make isn't necessarily a good measure because a lot of people don't really make things the same way I would. I had a strong interest in CO, but like I mentioned, it seems like interest in the game plummeted for the most part. But CoX is still thriving. Not hanging by a thread; I mean, it's alive and well.

But my perceptions could just be biased somehow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    CoX fills it's niche better.. It has it's own thing going on, while Champions Online sorta went after the WoW crowd and failed.

CoX also had the benefit of being able to establish a fanbase before WoW came out, and exist on the market while WoW was still only extremly successful and not the black hole of MMO subscribers that it is today.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This video is a good example of why FFXIV is fucking itself over:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EaGvRv6jqw
    There is no decent excuse for that stuff. The vast majority of people simply aren't going to put up with it.

Also, I think my new avatar might be creepier than Suchong.

http://kotaku.com/5663278/redbox-takes-video-game-rentals-nationwide
    Redbox, the kiosk rental service offering DVDs at grocery stores, drugstores, convenience stores and store stores, will expand its pilot offering of video game rentals to locations nationwide.

An email sent this week to customers says games are coming in "late October." The rentals will be $2 a day; DVDs are a dollar-a-day.

Redbox's site already has a robust games page up, listing numerous current releases. I visited a kiosk near me here in Eugene, Ore.; it wasn't yet offering games.

Thanks to reader Nathan F. for the tip.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wait that Redbox stuff actually makes them enough of a profit to expand? Wow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm very reluctant to believe that 300 million has been spent on The Old Republic.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't there a game that came out not too long ago that was based on a Warcraft III mod?

Made big news because only 80k people bought it but over 100K people hit the servers or something.

Sheep on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You're thinking of Demigod IIRC.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Proving there is a strong piracy underground guerrilla group in the industry!

Henroid on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The numbers were 18k out of approximately 120k connections were legit.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm noticing a bit of talk here about the Wii finally declining in sales. But is it still the top selling system? Or has the PS3 or 360 finally overtaken it? Highly doubtful I know but I'm curious.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think right now the 360 has been selling better since the redesign, hasn't it?

That is speaking for US sales alone, that is.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

That Redbox stuff makes enough of a profit to force Blockbuster into bankruptcy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That Redbox stuff makes enough of a profit to force Blockbuster into bankruptcy.

Well, it's popular and ubiquitous enough for that, but it doesn't say much about the profit necessarily. :P

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If that guy's rant is correct, EA might cease to exist as a company come TOR's horrific launch

override367 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If that guy's rant is correct, EA might cease to exist as a company come TOR's horrific launch

People still play Star Wars Galaxies.

TOR will at least make its money back.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I think right now the 360 has been selling better since the redesign, hasn't it?

Yeah, in the US the 360 has outsold the Wii for the last three months in a row.

In Japan, I'm pretty sure the PS3 and the Wii have been neck-and-neck for quite some time now (with both well behind the DS and PSP, of course).

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Well I can see it helping to bring down Blockbuster (since there's other shit against Blockbuster's service).

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-13-gt5-has-been-delayed-again
    Update 2: The European PlayStation blog has tweeted that a new Gran Turismo 5 date will be confirmed "before the end of the month".
    "We are sorry to say that Gran Turismo 5 will not be available on the previously announced release date of November 3rd, but the game will be released before Christmas," a statement read.

http://kotaku.com/5662886/gran-turismo-5-delayed-now-coming-this-holiday-season:
    Update: SCEA tells Kotaku that the delay is indeed global adding that they can't elaborate on whether "holiday season" could mean early 2011. When asked for specifics about the cause of the delay they only said that "Polyphony is optimizing ever aspect to provide the best racing experience."

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/gran-turismo-5-is-delayed-again/
    “We’re really close, but this was an executive decision that was made yesterday,” said Taku Imasaki, the North American producer for Gran Turismo 5, in a phone interview. “Realistically, we thought we had a good date. We’re not happy over here.”

Mr. Imasaki said the company “is shooting for it to be out by the holidays. You won’t see too much more delay.”
    Sony: Even their announcements of delays are fucking incompetently handled. Jesus Christ.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Somebody needs to lock the code depot for GT5 and swallow the key.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inregards to bad company culture, have you guys seen this?
    http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/

I don't necessarily believe it but its interesting. The whole DotA trademark thing is a mess with potentially more crap on top.

Mgslee on
    Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, in the US the 360 has outsold the Wii for the last three months in a row.

In Japan, I'm pretty sure the PS3 and the Wii have been neck-and-neck for quite some time now (with both well behind the DS and PSP, of course).

Really? I knew the PS3 was a better seller in Japan, but tied with the Wii?

I'm surprised--though I probably shouldn't be (Wii market saturation, added with more stuff for the PS3 on the whole).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Current sales of the PS3 and Wii are close. Lifetime sales are still far apart. Pretty much the same in the USA. Wii sales fell to a decent amount above the PS3 with the recent 360 model pushing that above as far as current sales go.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mgslee wrote: »

I don't necessarily believe it but its interesting. The whole DotA trademark thing is a mess with potentially more crap on top.

Yeah, we had a discussion on it earlier in this and some other threads around here.

Riot Games has come out and said Icefrog was never employed there, and Valve has outright said the blog is fake.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This GT5 delay stuff is really serious business, isn't it?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    People were wondering what GT5's budget was earlier and I found this quote on GAF:
    Speaking to the magazine, Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi said the budget for the game is around $60 million. That makes it among the most expensive games ever made--but not the most expensive, according to Yamauchi.

"There are other games that cost more," said the famously perfectionist designer "Considering the size and scale of the game, I think it's probably a fairly small amount."
    I didn't get to see the CO character creation first-hand. Seeing what people make isn't necessarily a good measure because a lot of people don't really make things the same way I would. I had a strong interest in CO, but like I mentioned, it seems like interest in the game plummeted for the most part. But CoX is still thriving. Not hanging by a thread; I mean, it's alive and well.

But my perceptions could just be biased somehow.

You don't need the game to play around with it, they released the CoH character creator as a free demo prior to the games release. You should still be able to find it. I never played the game but I did play around with the creator and it was pretty impressive.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You mean the CO character creator?

Henroid on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If found the character creator to be... not so amazing. I mean, yes, it's more advanced than just about everything else out there, but that just makes every limitation that much more aggravating. What do you mean I can't have both a bionic eye and an eye patch?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mgslee wrote: »

Yeah, we had a discussion on it earlier in this and some other threads around here.

Riot Games has come out and said Icefrog was never employed there, and Valve has outright said the blog is fake.

what is all this about exactly?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5663410/steam-to-introduce-digital-trade+ins
    Right now, if you buy a game from Steam, finish it and don't want it, well, you can...delete it. You can't go trade it in. But there are whispers that the digital purchase giant is considering implementing such a scheme.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, taking a break from wildly speculating about the future of the industry, has actually gone on record to say he's heard Valve will soon be allowing those who download a game to trade it in.

"Steam is phenomenal, it's a great service," he told NowGamer. "Steam gives gamers enough other stuff so that they don't resent the fact they can't trade in their games. And you know, name all the Steam games that you've purchased that you've traded back in to somebody else for credit. Steam's about to let you do that supposedly, you know like trade and exchange, but they're going to take a fee from it."

Interesting. At the moment, if you delete a game you've purchased, you may not get anything back in return for offloading it, but you can download it again in the future. Giving consumers the option of forsaking that convenience in exchange for credit towards future purchases would, we'd imagine, go down a treat with most of Steam's regular users.
    Crazy Pachter or Sensible Pachter.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If found the character creator to be... not so amazing. I mean, yes, it's more advanced than just about everything else out there, but that just makes every limitation that much more aggravating. What do you mean I can't have both a bionic eye and an eye patch?

Why not just go for a bionic eyepatch?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A steam trade in eh? But games during a sale, get 2x what you paid during that sale! Or buy a pack during the big sales and make more than your money back! :P

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not to mention that because Steam deals in digital format only it probably isn't legal to trade anything at all unless they had the consent of all the publishers and developers anyways.

COULD it happen? Sure. I could also sprout delicious chocolate wings tomorrow and fly to Hershey.

Astale on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Everyone is going to be offloading their copies of Portal that they got for free.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And so it was said that Pachter will inherit the earth

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Everyone is going to be offloading their copies of Portal that they got for free.

Or Valve will simply keep track of what you paid for it. Pretty sure they already know how much you paid for each of your Steam titles, even though they don't show it.

They can tell if you got a game via promotion or bought it already.

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.