As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    shadowane wrote: »
    I had a couple beers aged in bourbon barrels on Sunday and I realized while I thought they were delicious, I also claimed they taste like bourbon. Honestly though I don't really know what bourbon tastes like. Anyone able to describe it at all?

Like wood and charcoal, mostly (well, and alcohol).

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »
    I had a couple beers aged in bourbon barrels on Sunday and I realized while I thought they were delicious, I also claimed they taste like bourbon. Honestly though I don't really know what bourbon tastes like. Anyone able to describe it at all?

Like wood and charcoal, mostly (well, and alcohol).
    Hmm I guess I can see that. Considering it's empty, used barrels and Stouts are already slightly smoky and woody, I can see it just tasting sweeter and more alcoholic as a result.

shadowane on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Bourbon tastes woody and a little sweet with vanilla notes

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks guys. I was probably right in describing the flavor as bourbony then. I must say, the two stouts aged in bourbon barrels (Dark Horse Plead the Fifth and Port Older Viscosity) were so freaking good. They had a nice, thick mouth feel and this wonderfully sweet flavor.

shadowane on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    SKITTLES VODKA IS A TASTY TREAT.

Have you ever tried Sour Skittle's in that form?

Because I think I need to go to the store and do this right now.

Mmmmm sour skittles......

Burtletoy on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

my mouth is watering (the thought of sour things makes my mouth water, not delicious things) just thinking about that

what would you mix it with

Casual Eddy on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

my mouth is watering (the thought of sour things makes my mouth water, not delicious things) just thinking about that

what would you mix it with

Probably anything you'd make with Puckers.

Quid on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Will, is this a travesty worth spilling tears over?

Because I bet they'd mix well with sour skittles vodka.
    No elitism here; just jokes!

adytum on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I must hate myself because I want to see more terrible cocktail videos. How do you even find them?

Cervetus on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Awful-Bartender/193946874432

Also, just click around on the suggested videos and you'll find so many more.

Doc on
    edited October 2010
    Oh God, it's like the best thing to ever happen to something terrible. I think I need some straight whiskey to still my nerves.

Cervetus on
  • RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dear drinking thread:

I'm a fan of hoppy beers (Stone Ruination, Green Flash Imperial, etc.) and a few basic cocktails (White Russian, Cape Cod, Mai Tai). Unfortunately my friends are still in college mode--they go to dive bars and order PBR by the pitcher. Are there any classy cocktails that even the lowliest bartender would know how to make? Or am I pretty much stuck with the nicest beer on tap?

Failing that, what are some good drinks to make at home? Most of my favorites so far either rum or vodka-based, and are either sweet or fruity; but I'd love to try some drinks that will put some real hair on my chest.

Rollsavager on
    edited October 2010
    Black russians. I always order those at bars when I want something strong and delicious and manly/classy looking.

Every bar has kahlua and vodka.

But make sure they don't try to add coke! Asshole bartenders!

adytum on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Verr wrote: »
    Tried my first gin on the recommendation of this thread.

Picked up a bottle of Beefeater, and at first, I was put off. Harsh, oily, almost a.... sugary after taste?

But then I grew to love it. Now I'm writing a bazillion page paper, and like generations of writers before me, drinking gin.

(Holy fuck Beefeater is fucking expensive. 21.99 for a 750?)

You're writing a paper and you think Beefeater is fucking expensive? I'm going to use my brilliant powers of deduction to conclude that you're in college.

Although if you want cheaper gin you could try New Amsterdam.

Yes?

I'm not sure if you're making fun of my poorness or making fun of my richness.

And 21 bucks isn't that expensive, but i've been drinking tequila so shitty it isn't even on a shelf. 13-something for a handle. I guess I was more upset at the fact I don't know what good gin tastes like, so 21 bucks was a lot for a taste test.

Verr on
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't really making fun of you. I just got out of college and went right from that to unemployment, so no judgments are being made.

Cervetus on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Dear drinking thread:

I'm a fan of hoppy beers (Stone Ruination, Green Flash Imperial, etc.) and a few basic cocktails (White Russian, Cape Cod, Mai Tai). Unfortunately my friends are still in college mode--they go to dive bars and order PBR by the pitcher. Are there any classy cocktails that even the lowliest bartender would know how to make? Or am I pretty much stuck with the nicest beer on tap?

Failing that, what are some good drinks to make at home? Most of my favorites so far either rum or vodka-based, and are either sweet or fruity; but I'd love to try some drinks that will put some real hair on my chest.

here's my list of the classics:

manhattan
    old fashioned
    daiquiri
    margarita
    sidecar
    martini

any half-decent bartender can make all of these, which unfortunately is kind of hard to find. none of these are embarrassing girlie drinks, really. maybe the sidecar.

if you currently drink those sweet and fruity drinks, you could ease yourself into real drinks with, like, the daiquiri, margarita, sidecar and maybe try the martinez and old fahioned. I'd start by mixing them sweet and fruity and first and then starting to dial the sweet components down a little and the booze up.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Dear drinking thread:

manhattan
    old fashioned
    daiquiri
    margarita
    sidecar
    martini

any half-decent bartender can make all of these, which unfortunately is kind of hard to find. none of these are embarrassing girlie drinks, really. maybe the sidecar.

if you currently drink those sweet and fruity drinks, you could ease yourself into real drinks with, like, the daiquiri, margarita, sidecar and maybe try the martinez and old fahioned. I'd start by mixing them sweet and fruity and first and then starting to dial the sweet components down a little and the booze up.

How many times have I gone into a bar and said "I'll have an old fashioned," only to be met with "an old fashioned what?"

Doc on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Black russians. I always order those at bars when I want something strong and delicious and manly/classy looking.

...coke?!

Gim on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think it will put hair on your chest, but its hard to mess up a Gin and Tonic.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »

...coke?!

I've had it happen a few times at different bars. I don't know where the idea comes from.

adytum on
  • Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

manhattan
    old fashioned
    daiquiri
    margarita
    sidecar
    martini

any half-decent bartender can make all of these, which unfortunately is kind of hard to find.

Rollsavager, this is a good list, but beware; as previously noted either in this thread or the last, it can be tricky to order a classic margarita or daiquiri. Many uneducated bartenders will assume you want a pull from their frozen slushie machine, not a freshly shaken and strained cocktail.

Adam Bomb on
  • CaliSwagCaliSwag Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Oatmeal Stout- BOMB
    pumpkin beer- BOMB
    Tequila sunrises- BOMB

Question... whats the difference between a tequila sunrise and a tequila sundown??

CaliSwag on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd never heard of a Tequila Sundown, but apparently it uses pomegranate juice instead of grenadine.

Chanus on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, sort of in the vein of Rollsavager, I need some Whiskey based cocktails that a bar will not easily fuck up

I found a place that does a nice Manhattan, and I really enjoyed it.

Arch on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the mango rum I bought is pretty damn good on the rocks. I'm not a fan of sweetened alcohols, but this is acceptable. It kind of tastes like punch, but it is straight rum!!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I'd never heard of a Tequila Sundown, but apparently it uses pomegranate juice instead of grenadine.

grenadine traditionally is just sweetened pomegranate juice

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    So the mango rum I bought is pretty damn good on the rocks. I'm not a fan of sweetened alcohols, but this is acceptable. It kind of tastes like punch, but it is straight rum!!

i wonder if it would work as a substitute in gin drinks. mango is a little piney, and it might sub in for the juniper character of gin. maybe try it with some tonic water to check?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010

grenadine traditionally is just sweetened pomegranate juice

Touché.

Chanus on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone know some good drinks that use Grenadine but not Tequila ?

jackisreal on
    edited October 2010
    i made my own grenadine a few months ago

it was delicious

basically it ends up with the same basic recipe as simple syrup, only using pomegranate juice instead of water

however, i liked to reduce part of the pomegranate juice first

so:

take a bottle of pomegranate juice. you can use Pom or, like, knudsens or something. make sure it's 100% pomegranate and not a blend.

12 oz. pomegranate juice
    8 oz sugar
    1 oz lemon juice

set aside 4 oz pomegranate juice. take the 8 oz portion and cook it in a saucepan until it has been reduced by half - down to 4 oz or so. combine the lemon juice, sugar and both the reduced and unreduced pomegranate juice in a jar or bottle and shake until the sugar is dissolved. keep refrigerated.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010
    jackisreal wrote: »

the entire class of "Daisies" use grenadine.

Gin daisy

2 oz gin
    1 oz lemon juice
    1/2 oz grenadine

combine ingredients with ice; shake and strain. works with most base liquors.

you can include an egg white and start with a dry shake - a long shake with all the ingredients but no ice to froth up the egg white - prior to introducing the ice if you want to be olde-style

also the harvard cocktail uses grenadine (which i don't like, but frankie does)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010

the entire class of "Daisies" use grenadine.

Gin daisy

2 oz gin
    1 oz lemon juice
    1/2 oz grenadine

combine ingredients with ice; shake and strain. works with most base liquors.

you can include an egg white and start with a dry shake - a long shake with all the ingredients but no ice to froth up the egg white - prior to introducing the ice if you want to be olde-style

also the harvard cocktail uses grenadine (which i don't like, but frankie does)

That actually sounds really good--I don't have gin right now though, I wonder what it would be like if I replaced the gin with vodka ? Or whiskey+ some bitters? Tonight shall be a night of alchemy. I have all this lemon juice but I've never mixed with it.

jackisreal on
    edited October 2010
    it works just fine with vodka, if a little basic. it's listed as a thing with whiskey also. basically the "Daisy" is claimed to work with pretty much any base spirit. I've done rum and applejack as well, and it's fine.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it works just fine with vodka, if a little basic. it's listed as a thing with whiskey also. basically the "Daisy" is claimed to work with pretty much any base spirit. I've done rum and applejack as well, and it's fine.

"Whiskey Daisy" sounds hilarious

also delicious

Arch on
    edited October 2010

Hmm. I have Canadian Club whiskey and Old Overholt rye whiskey, which do you think would work better?

jackisreal on
    edited October 2010

Hmm. I have Canadian Club whiskey and Old Overholt rye whiskey, which do you think would work better?

mmm

i guess i could see both ways. neither is going to be really sweet. maybe the canadian club, since it's going to have a more mellow flavor. rye tends to be a little spicy, and it might throw off a sweet/ sour cocktail.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mmm

i guess i could see both ways. neither is going to be really sweet. maybe the canadian club, since it's going to have a more mellow flavor. rye tends to be a little spicy, and it might throw off a sweet/ sour cocktail.

Old Overholt is not very spicy(Sazerac has a bite because they add anise) and is much smoother than Canadian Club. Overholt is a top quality whiskey, Canadian Club... not so much.

Edit: Also, Canadian whiskeys are blends, (typically of corn and rye whiskeys) so there is no telling how it will taste with regards to anything with a specific dominant grain.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2010
    i like overholt a lot and think that it's an amazing value in whiskey, but it's a blend as well. it's not 100% rye, and it's not single-barrelled and it's likely not even produced soup-to-nuts at the same distillery.

it's been a while since i've had canadian club in particular, but my experience with canadian whiskeys is that they are blended specifically to produce a very consistent, smooth, mellow and unoffensive flavor profile (just like Canadians!).

Actually, i guess my understanding of blended whiskeys, the whole point of blending in the first place is to produce consistent flavor profiles.

i find overholt spicier than bourbon, but yeah not as spicy as sazerac or copper fox. probably spicier than the rittenhouse i had though and about the same level as ri(1).

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010
    Man.

So I knew that Don Draper (from Mad Men) drank canadian club, so I wanted to find a picture to make it seem like maybe I didn't buy it because it was $13, and I find this page:

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/drinks/article/847200--why-don-draper-is-mad-about-canadian-club

which lists this drink:

New York Cocktail

-Lemon wedge
    -Fresh ice
    -2 oz rye
    -1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
    -1/2 oz simple syrup (boil 2 parts sugar, 1 part water until sugar is disolved; cool)
    -Dash grenadine
    -Lemon twist

Rim a cocktail glass with lemon from wedge.

To a cocktail shaker, add ice and rye, lemon juice, simple syrup and grenadine. Shake well and strain into prepared glass. Garnish with lemon twist.

Makes 1 drink.

We have come full circle

jackisreal on
    edited October 2010
    that's pretty close to a whiskey daisy, actually.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png