As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Forumers Logo (Post-PAX East 2011)

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    ZeroHour! You were one of the guys who helped make the buttons for the drinking tournament. Tell us your design secreeeeetssssss.

ZeroHourHero designed the Pokecrawl buttons.
    GalFriday designed the TWDT 2010 buttons.

Atlus Parker on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I feel that because there is so much disagreement about what exactly represents a gamer (or that gamer's pax experience), maybe we should look at this differently. Instead of trying to sum up our culture in terms of things that everyone is in to (because you won't find anything) maybe we should focus on the diversity of gamers and have the sentiment similar to "many nations united under one flag" ... except nerdy.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I'm going to have to disagree with your stance prinny. The ball hasn't actually stood the test of time, as many of our current community members were not around for the ball. The Magical Mystery Tour, however, has proven itself to be a semi-annual tradition, and I think it does deserve a place in the design.

If the DS is included, I see it as being more faded into the background of the shield as a whole, but I do not view it as necessary to the piece.

I agree with Moe... I dont see the DS and the ball as the best representations of our community. I'm not saying they shouldnt be included, but I guess I would like to see a collage of all the various events on top or around the shield.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If we are able to agree on nothing as key symbols of who we are, we are going to have a difficult time filling out the shield. I therefore propose that we come to a consensus of what the shield should represent, or what its overall theme should be. Doing some research into escutcheons (shields in heraldry) may help us to understand what the shield should be. Determining this would thereby allow us to fill out the shield not with things that we think represent PAX, but that we believe would help us to represent what the shield stands for. Then it will be less a matter of personal preference and more a matter of getting the shield to conform to what it stands for. Let us discuss what the shield may stand for.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Prinny, I understand your enthusiasm, but art by committee doesn't really work very well. How about we let Yamara finish what she's working on now, before tossing out ideas to potentially change it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The enforcers did this exact thing a while back (a crest style thing) I have alerted the artist to this thread.

Im sure some of you have seen me wear that shirt before with the crest on it.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited October 2010
    Prinny, I understand your enthusiasm, but art by committee doesn't really work very well. How about we let Yamara finish what she's working on now, before tossing out ideas to potentially change it.
    Youch. Shot down in flames by the Moe.
    Fair enough. Ball's in your court, Yamara. Looking forward to seeing what you're putting together.

papaprinny on
  • tetujintetujin Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    The enforcers did this exact thing a while back (a crest style thing) I have alerted the artist to this thread.

Im sure some of you have seen me wear that shirt before with the crest on it.

so bigred pinged me^, he thought you guys might want a little inspiration. this is the crest i did for the enforcers a couple years back -- we put it on a t-shirt, maybe you've seen it floating around. a coat of arms for gamers was the basic idea. i hope it puts lots of ideas into your heads! or if nothing else, illuminates a direction you don't want to take for your own logo ;)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FQGKp4P6jRzrGd5OzbKC8MTKZid9G0vlh19gKB7csr0?feat=directlink

[ please note and respect the copyright -- i do this for a living :) ]

tetujin on
  • GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I seem to recall that some good designs for the pre-PAX bar crawls were created for the different teams. (Ugh, I'll admit, I'm leaning toward heraldry for this, despite what I said earlier.) Does anyone know who made those designs? I'd love to get into contact with that person if so.

Moe, can you post a link to the Prime 2010 bar crawl topic? You seem to have disappeared it, and I am too much of a PAX forum noob to know where you put those.
    ZeroHour! You were one of the guys who helped make the buttons for the drinking tournament. Tell us your design secreeeeetssssss.

ZeroHourHero designed the Pokecrawl buttons.
    GalFriday designed the TWDT 2010 buttons.

Atlus is right, I made the TWDT 2010 buttons.
    Design secret #1: Listen to the people that you are working for
    Design secret #2: Have absolutely no social life: this enables you to spend 40+ hours on button creation... that or have the type of social life that would allow you to spend time making buttons.
    Design secret #3: Know about PhotoShop

I think that there are a lot of passionate and talented people here, if you would like me to work on something I am down with it. :D

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks everyone for the input and ideas. I tried to incorporate as much as possible. I reduced the colors to be more appropriate to heraldry, the red and blue of Prime and East. I added a d20 and dpad flanking top and bottom, as incidental art to show our PAX roots.

http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~waage/pax/community_logo/draft2-thick_burst.png

This is intended for a printed t-shirt (I use Cafepress, but if someone wants to get it done 'proper', I can provide), and I can reduce some of the 'grunge' for other uses, if someone wants it for something else. Opinions welcome.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yamara wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the input and ideas. I tried to incorporate as much as possible. I reduced the colors to be more appropriate to heraldry, the red and blue of Prime and East. I added a d20 and dpad flanking top and bottom, as incidental art to show our PAX roots.

http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~waage/pax/community_logo/draft2-thick_burst.png

This is intended for a printed t-shirt (I use Cafepress, but if someone wants to get it done 'proper', I can provide), and I can reduce some of the 'grunge' for other uses, if someone wants it for something else. Opinions welcome.

Thats.....awesome. I may or may not have shed a tear.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • LonoLono Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow... Yamara, that's gorgeous. I would love that on a black shirt.

2, please.

Lono on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's fantastic Yamara! It would look great on shirts, forum badges, whatever!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love it, but here's some possible changes to consider:

a) Single lightning bolt rather than three - Harry Potter only has one, so having three is a bit confusing.
    b) More shading on the red banner at the bottom - make it look like cloth perhaps?
    c) Put a cowboy hat on the horse?

That said, it looks amazing already. :D

Heleor on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Absolutely brilliant, Yamara. Very beautiful.

The only thing I'd change are the three lightning bolts for the same reason Heleor stated. I don't know if there's someone else you can incorporate from Harry Potter to fill space off the top of my head.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    Perhaps a martini glass to emphasize the fact that it's a drinking tournament?

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Perhaps a martini glass to emphasize the fact that it's a drinking tournament?

More like a goblet...then with the lightning bolt..that'd be perfect behind the pokeball.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    I think there are three lightning bolts because it's the Triwizard Drinking Tournament

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010
    I think there are three lightning bolts because it's the Triwizard Drinking Tournament

haha d'oh...shuffling off to bed now.

Rdr on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WOW!! This is awesome!!

MetaverseNomad on
    edited October 2010

But there's not three Harry Potters! Perhaps I'm being too literal. Maybe a lightning bolt and two crossed wands?

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Very nice, yamara. You are a talented artist.

However, let's not be too quick with this. Let's give this some time. There should be no hurry to get this printed. We should allow the design to go through significant vetting and allow the ideas floating around right now to incubate. Not to say that it isn't worthy of being printed. But I am convinced that a great design, when not drafted under a deadline, can be made better with time.

And sorry Moe, I'm not convinced that art by committee is impossible. It would beg the question of why we are discussing this to begin with. I also seem to recall this process working with the challenge coins. Though not every idea was incorporated, a number of them were, and many of those ideas were made better with suggestions.

So let's allow this to sit for a while and allow ideas to accumulate. I think some of us are a bit too hasty to get something finalized here. We have nothing but time.

Edit:
    Heleor wrote: »
    c) Put a cowboy hat on the horse?
    Now this is an interesting idea. A nice throwback to the Bad Horse prank. Something to consider.

Edit x2:
    And of course, we will want to have this printed as a sewable badge at some point, something I can put on my hoodie, backpack, etc. A sticker for my laptop or my DS is another consideration.

papaprinny on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My first reaction to the shield was WOW!. I really am impressed with this design and the background of people behind it is an excellent idea.

Then I started to examine it closer and spotted what believe to be problems. First the use of the pokemon ball is probably copyrighted to the nth degree, so you're going to have to lose that. The 3 lightening bolts could really mean anything as does the fried chicken and the map to a city.

Now I believe them to mean the tri-wizard drinking tournament, Pre-PAX dinner and the CCST respectively. It's a lucky guess though and I do believe we need to work on those symbols. I have a special interest in this as this heraldry will adorn all future PAX Forum badges so I want to make sure it's fit for purpose, so to speak.

Finally the two animals either side of the shield, the horse and the fish. Are these creatures required as part of some heraldry tradition or can we replace them with something we PAX people are more familiar with? They look fine, I just want to make this shield as PAX community releated as possible.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited October 2010
    Im pretty sure the fish is referring to troutslap on irc and the horse is the first pax prank

BigRed on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh, I know I'm going to be ripped on for this, but I'll face the music: What does "extraneus es amicitia" mean? It isn't "Don't be a dick", is it? They cut the Latin classes a year before I went into high school and despite my efforts at hijacking what I could find from the previous classes, teaching myself Latin was an epic fail.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Im pretty sure the fish is referring to troutslap on irc and the horse is the first pax prank

I thought it was for salmon security....

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited October 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »

I thought it was for salmon security....

If thats the case then why have 2 things on there that refer to the same community thing...

BigRed on
    edited October 2010
    acumen101 wrote: »
    Ugh, I know I'm going to be ripped on for this, but I'll face the music: What does "extraneus es amicitia" mean? It isn't "Don't be a dick", is it? They cut the Latin classes a year before I went into high school and despite my efforts at hijacking what I could find from the previous classes, teaching myself Latin was an epic fail.

I thought it was "Don't be a Dick" as well but search in the East Challenge Coin thread and saw papaprinny say that is "Numquam mentula es" - http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16795852&postcount=82

Google says Numquam mentula es is Never a nice art

extraneus es amicitia means friendship of a stranger you are according to Google Translate.

/shrugs

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    The fish and the horse refer to the PAX prank, and also work well as border animals (if there's one on one side, then there needs to be something on the other side). The map to the city stands for the Magical Mystery Tour, not the CCST.

Also, I believe the latin at the bottom translates to "strangers are friends"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To add yet another layer to the animals, the fish could represent Seattle's delicious seafood and the horse could represent Paul Revere? Of course, for this to make sense, the two would have to be swapped to match East/West.

Just a thought. It looks awesome! I can't wait to see how this evolves.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Awesome design. Totally looking forward to seeing it on stuff.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aggregating my responses... I wouldn't be surprised if there's copyright on the pokeball, I was mostly hoping that for such a simply drawn thing, not trodding on their character copyright, it wouldn't be a problem. However, if we can replace it and still make it clear, without even more copyright issues, I'd be happy.

Rdr, I had originally tried out the Triwizard goblet shadow on the design, but it made that area of the shield too prominent, and muddied the rest of the things in that area.

Granted, Heleor, that the lightning bolt does convey Harry Potter, but the reason it ties more to him is because all the movies say "Harry Potter" and their font has it integrated into the P. Really, what you should question is why does the Triwizard Drinking Tournament have "Tri"wizards but four houses competing? :D

I had tried a handlebar mustache on the horse, but even that was confusing to 'read' on the image. I think a cowboy hat on the horse would actually make it not really look like a horse anymore. To make it read right, I think I'd have to make the horse no longer a silhouette, and add more detail. That would make it a bit more prominent, and I think ultimately unbalance the design (even if I did the same with the salmon). I do like the idea of making it more prank-specific, though, but I like that the horse and fish now seem to have three meanings.

I might be able to add some incidental shading to the banner at the bottom to make it a bit less flat. That part was actually a 5 minute outline, and I didn't change anything on it after. I picked the latin 'strangers are friends' because of a description I liked (from Caelesto?) that the PAX community was a large welcoming community of strangers who become your friends. But that was too long, so I truncated it. :) The general consensus on here and IRC seemed to be that other phrases used were for other events or tied to other people (like Wil).

Prinny, as I mentioned, I can provide other formats for sewn badges and such if people need them. Stickers are easy, at least. Sewn things have very specific requirements as to what size parts of the design can be, and for that case, I would need to know the company's requirements and probably the final size of the design, to make sure no piece of the design was too small to be sewn.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    edited October 2010
    When this image is completed, who will own the copyright? Will it be released in to the public domain? When you get into merchandising things such at T-shirts, stickers, buttons, patches, and the like, you need to have this figured out. Before the design is finished, not after because something like this can go badly if this issue is not addressed. Especially in a case like this, where ideas are coming from many different people.

Sumi on
    edited October 2010
    It is worth mentioning that the challenge coin designs are owned by no one, though someone inevitably puts them together. This promotes community expressiveness. Though it is not my place to tell you what to do with your design, I would highly recommend releasing it with no copyright.

The hat problem crossed my mind, by the way. Don't try too hard to fit too much detail on there. Sometimes it is better to go with a more traditional design than to modify it to provide some kind of meaning for those whom you are tailoring the overall design to.

For what it's worth, I love your Latin motto. "Numquam mentula es" is more of a motto for PAX. "Extraneus es amicitia" is very well-suited to the PAX community. I vote we keep it, as it is very welcoming and tells the onlooker that, yes, you too are invited to be a part of this community.

papaprinny on
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love the logo actually, it came out really well, and at first I was torn because I do love the "Numquam mentula es" but I can see why it wouldn't fit as well.

As for the copyright with the pokeball, maybe that can just be replaced by a ds? even if its just a silhouette of one, just my $.02

MxWood on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nice design, for the pokeball couldn't you just switch the red and white, to opposite when at the pokeball is, and you don't have to worry about the copyright thing? just an idea, not sure if it will solve the problem or not.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here are my quibbles:

What is the significance of the stars at the top and bottom of the design? There are 8 stars at the top and 4 at the bottom - this being heraldry, nothing is there accidentally or for aesthetic reasons, right? My suggestion would be to have stars on the right and left hand sides to represent the number of PAX's (like a country's World Cup wins). Unfortunately, that would be 7 for Prime and only 2 for East at this point, which would understandably be a little unbalanced. Keeping it in the current Top/Bottom orientation might work better.

The people behind the crest really take away from it for me. I totally understand that it is representative of us, the community. However, every time I look at it, it looks to me like you took a stock image of the Best Buy Geek Squad and put it back there (http://www.thesmallbusinesscoach.com/images/geeksquad.png). On a t-shirt I think it might work, but for a patch or sticker I think it would really take away from the rest of the design.

I would definitely make the D20 at the top bigger to make it slightly more prominent/noticeable among the stars.

I would like to see the Pokeball stay. If it is a problem however, why would using a DS be any different? I guess if the rendition is generic enough, it could be hard to prove that it is a DS, and not a cell phone or whatever, but it seems like the DS design would be just as protected as the pokeball, no?

Great job though!

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    Here are my quibbles:

What is the significance of the stars at the top and bottom of the design? There are 8 stars at the top and 4 at the bottom - this being heraldry, nothing is there accidentally or for aesthetic reasons, right? My suggestion would be to have stars on the right and left hand sides to represent the number of PAX's (like a country's World Cup wins). Unfortunately, that would be 7 for Prime and only 2 for East at this point, which would understandably be a little unbalanced. Keeping it in the current Top/Bottom orientation might work better.

The people behind the crest really take away from it for me. I totally understand that it is representative of us, the community. However, every time I look at it, it looks to me like you took a stock image of the Best Buy Geek Squad and put it back there (http://www.thesmallbusinesscoach.com/images/geeksquad.png). On a t-shirt I think it might work, but for a patch or sticker I think it would really take away from the rest of the design.

I would definitely make the D20 at the top bigger to make it slightly more prominent/noticeable among the stars.

I would like to see the Pokeball stay. If it is a problem however, why would using a DS be any different? I guess if the rendition is generic enough, it could be hard to prove that it is a DS, and not a cell phone or whatever, but it seems like the DS design would be just as protected as the pokeball, no?

Great job though!

I think the purpose of this design to to have it as a mainstay design for all things PAX Community. If we put stars representing number of PAXes then it'd need to be updated twice a year and in a couple of years where are we going to put all of these stars?

I wouldn't mind the stars being replaced with different kinds of dice though.

As for the people in the background...he said that he'd change the design to fit needs for stickers/patches. Like taking away people and grunge and such.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    What does the bottom right image on the shield stand for?

Sumi on
    edited October 2010
    The Magical Mystery Tour

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png