As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
So I'm not usually too big on JRPGs, but I've been rocking out the PS2 I bought last summer a whole bunch. I beat FFX when I was 11, and going back and playing it now that I'm 20 has been rad, but I know what I'm doin' and I can recall most of the story.

So today I popped in FFXII, and it's pretty dadgum cool. Only problem is, I have no idea what to do with Vaan on the license grid and the whole system is unfamiliar to me.

Next up is Kingdom Hearts, which is really hard because you run around a-la-plaformers but it seems like a regular RPG to me.

Also, more to the point:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LOXE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004TC6E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05B9661MBJZQP7RCHMAJ

Is that worth $30?

reposig.jpg
Fandyien on

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But...that says $16.83?

Is is beyond fucking belief worth that price.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not worth the $30. The slowdown in chrono trigger is killer. Also, while I love a bunch of ps2 RPGs, my biggest love will always be ps1 jrpgs, when I had hours to play and and let them blow my mind

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, so it does.

I also want to get chrono cross at some point, which is equally cheap and on amazon.

Also why do I do with fran? Should I give her more nukes or more healy spells?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    what product is it amazon is blocked here

Squall on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't get Chrono Cross. It's convoluted and boring.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fandy, you can run Vaan anyway you want. Most people have him rolling short swords and shields, but I said fuck that and gave him heavy weapons/mega-black magick.

Fran will fuck dudes up at a range. MORE NUKES.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the easiest way to win XII is to abuse overdrives or whatever the hell they call them

Squall on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I want to make Vaan a time thief. I think I'm gonna go with green magic, sword/shield, and maybe daggers? I'll load fran up with ballin' nukes and I guess balthier can keep shooting folks.

PS i just found a gambit what do I do to make it possible to activate

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My problem with XII:

"Oh shit this game is fucking awesome time to go level... Oh God I love the grind its so awesome, lets go kill some marks... damn couldn't kill that one time to grind more... Oh God this is so fun... maybe I should go do some story, Oh shit where am I supposed to go? Oh shit what's the plot? I don't understand what's going on, time to go level and kill more marks...."

generally I loved the gameplay and couldn't stand/had no drive to finish the plot

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    my favorite part is when you get to the final boss and he basically says 'who the hell are you'

Squall on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Front Mission 3 and 4 though 3 is PS1 old

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've only killed the Rogue Tomato so far. I gotta return that quest and hopefully get an equally ludicrous mark in return

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The World Ends With You is all the JRPG I need

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I want to make Vaan a time thief. I think I'm gonna go with green magic, sword/shield, and maybe daggers? I'll load fran up with ballin' nukes and I guess balthier can keep shooting folks.

PS i just found a gambit what do I do to make it possible to activate

Give Balthier more than just guns. Make sure that dude has some magicks. The bigger the better. Guns are really underpowered and slow late in the game. I micromanage, so I often have Baltheir shooting mans, casting healing magicks on mans, or casting casting Scathe.

Nifty trick: Equip three reflect armors, caste an area magic at YOUR party, watch it get cast a bajillion times and do a fuckton of damage to your enemy. Especially useful on enemies that negate physical attacks.

Gambits are activated from the menu screen. Select a character you want to set a gambit on, find the action you want that character to do, and then selected a condition for that action. It's a condition.

If x, then y.

You can enable gambits from the battle menu by just clicking Gambits to ON.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Balthier needs something other then first aid, which always misses
    MISS
    MISS
    MISS

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seriously, load him up with healing white magick. If my Balthier didn't have Curaja, I'd be so fucked.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My one problem with the license system is that it's pretty hard to determine what you want if you don't have the spells/items already

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm thinking I might pick up Final Fantasy Tactics on PSN this weekend, my brother's been riding me about never having played it.

Peen on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This guy doesn't have a clue.

Chrono Cross does have some plot issues but the gameplay is fun as hell. Plus also the music.

And yeah don't buy the Anthologies. As has been mentioned already, the Chrono Trigger port is seriously god-awful.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also other ps2 jrpgs you need to check out that are probably hella cheap nowadays:

persona 4
    Dark cloud 2
    Rogue galaxy
    Valkyrie profile 2
    Odin sphere
    Shadow hearts covenant
    Steambot chronicles

That should tide you over for like a year

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can actually get the FF4+Chrono Trigger for $12 after shipping on the page you linked.

Though I find the GBA FF4 and the DS Chrono Trigger to be the best versions of those. And as long as you have a DS/DSLite, you can have both carts in at once! The DS FF4 is really good, but they added in a lot of BS random difficulty.

Jishian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rogue Galaxy is decent, but it's also hardcore jrpg. If you're looking to jump into the most jrpg of jrpgs, go for it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube ate up 200+ hours of my life.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

This guy doesn't have a clue.

Chrono Cross does have some plot issues but the gameplay is fun as hell. Plus also the music.

And yeah don't buy the Anthologies. As has been mentioned already, the Chrono Trigger port is seriously god-awful.

Yes, the music in Chrono Cross was pretty good. Especially that opening song. And the game play is good.

But seriously? "Some plot issues?" I don't want to get into spoiler territory but
    that whole bit about how it ties back to Chrono Trigger with Schala and Balthasar is so tenuous.

If you're going to play it, just pretend like it's like...a "spiritual successor" to Chrono Trigger or something. Or that it's not related at all.

Cilla's right. It's definitely worth a play through for the music alone, though.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, I forgot about the Shadow Hearts games. Shadow Hearts: From the New World might be the single craziest game I've ever played (not named God Hand).

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    My one problem with the license system is that it's pretty hard to determine what you want if you don't have the spells/items already

Items, yes. Spells, no.

Weapons and armor are pretty straightforward. The higher the level, the better the weapons. Accessories don't really work the same way, so I didn't really bother with them outside the Bubble Belt.

Spells are pretty easy. Only a few spells are new/foreign. Scathe, for instance, is something I hadn't seen before. It's basically just an AoE version of Flare. If you have questions about something, definitely just look it up.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    tales of symphonia is also a game that people should play

Squall on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You only need one PS2 RPG:

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

Well, it's a start anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Umaro wrote: »
    Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube ate up 200+ hours of my life.

yesss this

man now I want to play it again

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't get why Nocturne is so adored, beloved and expensive. The plot has an interesting twist in the first few minutes of the game but doesn't really do anything else from there, and the gameplay, while not standard, was absolutely nothing to write home about.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure if it counts as "last gen", but I started playing Zork recently. I'm pretty late to the party I guess. The trilogy was free to download, though now that I actually look at the site, it's not officially Infocom, so I won't link it just in case.

I am enjoying it more than FF8 though.

Jishian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    God the Shadow Hearts games were great

If you want to play them you really need to start from the first, the mechanics are so dated that you'll hate playing it after going through 2 or 3

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't get why Nocturne is so adored, beloved and expensive. The plot has an interesting twist in the first few minutes of the game but doesn't really do anything else from there, and the gameplay, while not standard, was absolutely nothing to write home about.

I posit that you smell

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I rented Chrono Cross once, dunno what I was expecting but about ten hours in when absolutely nothing had been said or done which related it back to Chrono Trigger I sort of lost interest and popped FF7 back in to die to emerald weapon again.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pfff

emerald and ruby were easy

man I loved exploiting the hell out of the materia system.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

The more you read into Nocturne's plot, the more you get from it. Very little is spoon-fed to the player, and that's what I like about it. There's certainly no setting quite like the Vortex World, either.

Press Turn was a great combat system, and fusion, well, love or hate. :P If you love it, get ready to lose hours fusing and refusing for the perfect skill set.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Maybe I just didn't like it because all the main characters were twats, except your character, who was nothing.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pfff

I sunk a lot of time into getting every single Enemy Skill for the Enemy Skill materia. 'Bad Breath' was a complete bitch. Goddamn Marlboros.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yuko and the blonde man are pretty nice to you.
    Of course the second one will be

But of course they're pissed. The world just ended. Everyone they knew is dead.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pfff

Yeah I was too young to really get into exploiting the system so I would just get my ass kicked. All I cared about was getting a cool chocobo.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg