As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic missing?

AiouaAioua Ora OccidensOra OptimaRegistered User regular
Monday's comic ( http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/10/11/ ) comes up as a red x for me. I've tried to get to it though my home internet, work, and my phone (comcast, qwest, and t-mo; respectively), so it's probably not something on my end.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
Aioua on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm getting the same. It's also gone from the Monday SE++ comic thread. Maybe something to do with the recent forum downtime?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't see monday's comic either.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Same here

DesertBox on
  • Formica ArchonisFormica Archonis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also not working here. Seems rather not like a problem on our ends!

Formica Archonis on
  • ognaldognald Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    same here.
    does anyone have a cached copy or something?

ognald on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2010
    Is this working for you?

1045357283_GCxg2-L.jpg

Tube on
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, but that's wednesday's comic, not monday's. Monday's comic is still not working for me

DesertBox on
    edited October 2010
    Woops, er, I was testing you. That was a test. You passed the test.

The front page types are aware of the problem, it'll be sorted out as soon as possible

Tube on
    edited October 2010
    Can someone with a cached copy of the comic just post it here?

ognald on
  • Abn0rmalAbn0rmal Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    The front page types are aware of the problem, it'll be sorted out as soon as possible
    I'm having trouble imagining what kind of problem could be so catastrophic that it's impossible to fix a broken link to Monday's comic by Friday afternoon.

Did a meteorite crash into a data center somewhere and for some reason it didn't make the news?

Did a freakishly improbable set of cosmic rays erase the bits storing each and every copy of that comic in existence?

Did the authors not draw it because they both were abducted by aliens at the same time and had their memory of the abduction replaced with the memory of producing their comic?

Abn0rmal on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Because the PA content and server setup isn't being run out of a personal home server - they have a CDN network/backend and a whole bunch of other stuff that can't turn on a dime.

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2010
    Abn0rmal wrote: »
    I'm having trouble imagining

Don't trouble yourself with it then. These forums are a free service and if you feel the need to be obnoxious on them you can go elsewhere.

Tube on
  • geekoidgeekoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone have a link to a cached copy?

geekoid on
    Now I will break machinery with my head!
  • adelazeroadelazero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone actually seen the strip? Just curious.

adelazero on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I saw it on Monday.

Last Son on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is this still broken for some people? Because Google Cache has it if you want to view it that way.

It's working fine for me even after a cache refresh. If you're still having trouble, hit Ctrl+F5 on that page.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • scarvexxscarvexx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the google cache seems to suffer fom the same deficiency. it could be on our end, who else here operates in australia?

scarvexx on
  • GrimgrockGrimgrock Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Hate to make my first post a 'me too' but... 'me too'. I've tried several different browsers on two different computers with no positive results. I wasn't able to find it on Google Cache either.

Grimgrock on
  • OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn this is annoying. D:

OmegaDez on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Google cache tends not to cache images only the webcode.

DeShadowC on
  • CrazyVincentCrazyVincent Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    e136f7ea928e8f48a77a7966be01636097688383.png

CrazyVincent on
    edited October 2010
    Nice one, 10 points to Gryffindor for you.

Tube on
    edited October 2010
    hip hip hooray for CrazyVincent!!! \o/
    I'm surprised the admins still haven't fixed it :o

ognald on
    edited October 2010
    scarvexx wrote: »
    the google cache seems to suffer fom the same deficiency. it could be on our end, who else here operates in australia?

I'm in Canada and I can't make it work on any of my PCs in any of my browsers, even ones I've never used to visit the site before. Google Cache has the webpage but not the image.

Big thanks and one more hooray for CrazyVincent!

Formica Archonis on
    edited October 2010
    ognald wrote: »
    hip hip hooray for CrazyVincent!!! \o/
    I'm surprised the admins still haven't fixed it :o

It's not within my control.

Tube on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't see today's comic in Firefox or in IE. I also can't see last Friday's comic, even though I *could* see it on Friday. I can see last Wednesday's comic, but not last Monday's comic. Once I get to 'The Apex' I seem to be able to see that and all the earlier comics.

*edit* I'm not getting a red X, I just get a blank space where the comic should be. This is also happening in the New Comic thread in SE++

Desktop Hippie on
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey I can see it now! And all the other missing ones! Forget I posted anything.

Desktop Hippie on
  • SinbadEVSinbadEV Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still can't see the MOnday comic (though I'll stop bothering to try now that I've seen it in CrazyVincent's post), for the record, I've not only tried it on multiple computers, I've tried it on two completely independent internet providers (both in Canada) though I can't see how it's a connection issue as other images apparently hosted on the same domain seem fine.
    http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1043242901_D8qj7-L.jpg NOT WORKING

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1038013639_EDtew-L.jpg IS WORKING

so WTF eh?

SinbadEV on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CDNs are like a huge, complex machine. Takes a little bit for the goop it processes to work its way through all the pipes.

Screw up a publish, and you have to do it again.

And the pipes are all over the planet. When your tube gets its allotment of delicious goop will depend on what priority (bandwidth, space, other stuff) your local node(s) gets in the CDN.

A "domain" is just a reference to some IPs and some contact info. It could point to anything at any time depending on various things. The one that works made it through all the tubes fine. The other one apparently has not.

MKR on
    edited October 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    And the pipes are all over the planet. When your tube gets its allotment of delicious goop will depend on what priority (bandwidth, space, other stuff) your local node(s) gets in the CDN.

Helluva goop quota, then. I asked someone in California (near LA) who doesn't read the comic to check and he says the file isn't there either.

Formica Archonis on
    edited October 2010
    MKR wrote: »

Helluva goop quota, then. I asked someone in California (near LA) who doesn't read the comic to check and he says the file isn't there either.

Well then I don't know. I still don't see it either all the way over in the dreadscape of Georgia.

I don't know who's responsible for handling that part of the site, but you'd want to e-mail them with your ISP and location.

MKR on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, the goo is definitely in Kansas's tubes, as I can see the comic again.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    I can't see today's comic. Seem to be able to see all the previous ones.

Desktop Hippie on
    edited October 2010
    Yup, I can see it now.

Desktop Hippie on
  • adelazeroadelazero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just checked, and I can see it, now, too. Thanks to FyreWulff and MKR for explaining stuff, and thanks to Cardboard Tube for sticking around. I may not know anything about anything, but I know when people are being cool. ^_^ Thumbs up to the people who fixed it, too!

adelazero on
    edited October 2010
    Cool here too. Thanks!

Formica Archonis on
    edited October 2010
    The goop must flow.

MKR on
    edited November 2010
    I haven't been able to see any of the comics since last Wednesday :(