As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Topia wrote: »
    Badwrong wrote: »
    By default, yes key/mouse is bad. But I have zero issues with the UI after changing some things. Not to be confused with the LAG that happens with each interaction like selling vendor junk, I dont blame that on the UI at all, I blame it on the servers only being in Japan.

So you have zero issues with the fact that

1. Inventory can't be sorted
    2. You can only trade 4 items at a time, despite being able to use 8 in a synth
    3. That crystals/shards are arbitrarily capped
    4. That you can't see durability on items in the equipment tab, only in the inventory tab
    5. That you have to remove items to repair them
    6. That underwear is something that needs to be repaired, even though you can't take it off
    7. That you can't target party members by clicking on their health bar, you have to either click on them directly or cycle through party members in an unintuitive order
    8. The ridiculous number of steps involved in any action
    9. That you can't just walk away from a vendor, you have to back all the way out of the interaction
    10. That chat is capped at about as many characters as are in this sentence
    11. That you have to switch linkpearls to talk in different chat channels
    12. That you have to be next to somebody to invite them to a party, or a linkshell, or to remove them from a linkshell.
    13. That you can't see party members on the world map
    14. That you can't zoom out on the world map
    15. That equipped gear takes up inventory space, in a game where you're likely already carrying multiple gear sets.

NONE of these things bother you? Is one thing to acknowledge the glaring flaws and say you've gotten used to them, that's fine. It's another to pretend they don't exist.

Or did you just mean that you had no problem navigating the UI? Because obviously that's a different issue, and in that case whoops.

WOAH WOAH WOAH! You're taking this way too far. If you're going to be an extremist like this get OUT.

Number 15 is totally normal for some games.

You feel better now?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WOAH WOAH WOAH! You're taking this way too far. If you're going to be an extremist like this get OUT.

What I meant to say is "this game is made of rainbows and sunshine." It just came out wrong.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I... I don't get your post, Shorn.

What I meant to say is "this game is made of rainbows and sunshine." It just came out wrong.

Forgiven.

Topia on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    By default, yes key/mouse is bad. But I have zero issues with the UI after changing some things. Not to be confused with the LAG that happens with each interaction like selling vendor junk, I dont blame that on the UI at all, I blame it on the servers only being in Japan.

So you have zero issues with the fact that

1. Inventory can't be sorted
    2. You can only trade 4 items at a time, despite being able to use 8 in a synth
    3. That crystals/shards are arbitrarily capped
    4. That you can't see durability on items in the equipment tab, only in the inventory tab
    5. That you have to remove items to repair them
    6. That underwear is something that needs to be repaired, even though you can't take it off
    7. That you can't target party members by clicking on their health bar, you have to either click on them directly or cycle through party members in an unintuitive order
    8. The ridiculous number of steps involved in any action
    9. That you can't just walk away from a vendor, you have to back all the way out of the interaction
    10. That chat is capped at about as many characters as are in this sentence
    11. That you have to switch linkpearls to talk in different chat channels
    12. That you have to be next to somebody to invite them to a party, or a linkshell, or to remove them from a linkshell.
    13. That you can't see party members on the world map
    14. That you can't zoom out on the world map
    15. That equipped gear takes up inventory space, in a game where you're likely already carrying multiple gear sets.

NONE of these things bother you? Is one thing to acknowledge the glaring flaws and say you've gotten used to them, that's fine. It's another to pretend they don't exist.

Or did you just mean that you had no problem navigating the UI? Because obviously that's a different issue, and in that case whoops.

You feel better now?

Jokes, bro.

a puddle on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To get my FFXI sub canceled I had to cancel my Playonline content ID, then call SE three times, then change my credit card number.

Cancelling a FFXI subscription also usually resulted in you invalidating your registration code that came with the game and/or sending some sort of secret signal to Square telling them to delete your character.

There's a company that just doesn't fucking get it. I picture their customer service department as being staffed entirely by people with Downs Syndrome.

Regina Fong on
    edited October 2010
    To get my FFXI sub canceled I had to cancel my Playonline content ID, then call SE three times, then change my credit card number.

Cancelling a FFXI subscription also usually resulted in you invalidating your registration code that came with the game and/or sending some sort of secret signal to Square telling them to delete your character.

There's a company that just doesn't fucking get it. I picture their customer service department as being staffed entirely by people with Downs Syndrome.

Didn't they just have a policy at the start of FFXI that any character/account that was inactive for over 3 months was deleted? Pretty hardcore, when you consider that you could only have 1 char per account (unpaid) anyway. Can't really turn around and call it a database concern at that point.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I resubbed twice after 1yr+ of being away and never lost my main or bank. Granted, it's been over a year since the last time I played.

sim on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Didn't they just have a policy at the start of FFXI that any character/account that was inactive for over 3 months was deleted? Pretty hardcore, when you consider that you could only have 1 char per account (unpaid) anyway. Can't really turn around and call it a database concern at that point.

The thing about coming up with mindblowingly stupid policies is that afterwards people will call you stupid a lot. They will also tend to assume other things you do are probably stupid, since you have a proven track record of making stupid decisions.

:P

Regina Fong on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FFXI also had some downright weird policies when it came to such things as retrieving a stolen account. I remember there being some long convoluted story about some poor woman who had her paladin stolen and was having a hellish time trying to get it back. It was bizarre enough it hit several of the usual internet gaming news outlets, but I'm having a hard time remembering enough details to look it up.

Anyone remember that enough to have a link or name? It was a funny-ish story so I wouldn't mind reading it again.

Astale on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, a few random questions that I'm just curious about.

1) How much gil do you have? I've got around 300k, haven't made much effort to acquire the moneys.

2) Which path companion did you pick? I haven't got to this point, but I think I'll do the r15 and r20 quests tonight.

3) When it's available, are you going to purchase more retainers? I think I'll get 1 or 2 more, unless some change renders them unnecessary. I really wish you could summon them to a bell AND sell shit on them. Right now storage is way more important to me, so I only sell stuff in my personal bazaar.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AtomBomb wrote: »

1) How much gil do you have? I've got around 300k, haven't made much effort to acquire the moneys.

2) Which path companion did you pick? I haven't got to this point, but I think I'll do the r15 and r20 quests tonight.

3) When it's available, are you going to purchase more retainers? I think I'll get 1 or 2 more, unless some change renders them unnecessary. I really wish you could summon them to a bell AND sell shit on them. Right now storage is way more important to me, so I only sell stuff in my personal bazaar.

1) Before I left for work today I was sitting at 1,300,000 gil. Its not hard to get money, thats all from crafting and some leves... and thats after I've spent about 500k on various things. Its probably more now since I had 500k of stuff to be sold before I left. If you dont craft, no biggie, just sell crystals/shards... you can make a killing of them. 19-20 grinding I got at least 60 crystals and who knows how many shards, I've been selling them along with other stuff just to stay under the cap of how many I can carry.

2) Path companion?

3) I still just use bazaar. I only made maybe 200k off my retainer.... the rest has all been bazaar. Sometimes when I'm actively crafting near Ul'Dah repair NPC I shout out what I'm selling and get even more sales that way. Usually just bazaar it up when I'm at work. But my retainer is now just storage like you said.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    2) Lodestone posted an article about "Choosing Your Path Companion" last week-ish. Something about the fifth story mission.

No idea if it has any game effect, ala Adventuring Fellow or not.

Neurotika on
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    2) Lodestone posted an article about "Choosing Your Path Companion" last week-ish. Something about the fifth story mission.

No idea if it has any game effect, ala Adventuring Fellow or not.

Oh cool... I just did the upto the level 20 story quest, so havent had to choose yet.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited October 2010
    I chose mine, he's a Male Taru Conjuer. He is an insecure whiny kid. But he will be able to heal me.

He is excited to go on adventurez.

Topia on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you summon him in the field? Is he a plot-quest only fella?

Neurotika on
    edited October 2010
    So far he's quests only.

Topia on
  • useruser Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've got 586k, not a lot for someone who's unlocked r30 leves, but I don't really craft much for profit.

I picked a Miqo'te LNC as my path companion, though I've yet to adventure with her.

I plan on getting at least 2 additional retainers, with that added space I hope to be able to finally rank up a gathering class.

user on
    edited October 2010
    I have about 100k atm. But I burn through money crazy fast buying stuff to synth with. Turns out its hard and expensive to level every synth at once. I might have to break down and specialize.

Probably going to get a lady lalafell so we can drop amazing alliterations together.

Two retainers minimum, but also maybe maximum (for me $15, the typical MMO sub, is kind of a psychological barrier).

a puddle on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow puddle, I didn't know you had ranks in every class.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
    edited October 2010
    The sock is glistening with poop.

a puddle on
    edited October 2010
    Anyone know where I can buy botany and Thaumaturge gear in Ul'dah?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Botany: Tataroga, Sapphire Avenue

Thaumaturge: Pimelle, Bric-a-Brac

a puddle on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Well yes, I have no issues navigating the UI. By default I did, with some keybinds in windows though its easily better with key/mouse than gamepad for me.

But I also don't really have issue with this list of things you made, to the point that I call them flaws. I see a "flaw" in a game as something broke, buggy or not working how the developers designed it. Initially it felt weird for all those things to work as you listed, I can't say I notice it bothering me at this point.

Don't get this confused with me saying I don't notice all that stuff. Surely I do if comparing FFXIV to most popular MMOs. Its just that one or two extra keypressed doesn't bother me.

Your name is accurate then, because your opinions are simply bad and wrong.
    Design decisions that are made poorly are still flaws!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited October 2010
    neville wrote: »

Neville if you don't like FFXIV then you don't like America, and if you don't like American then you can get out.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    neville wrote: »

Neville if you don't like FFXIV then you don't like America, and if you don't like American then you can get out.

lets make up.
    and by make up, i mean make out.
    :3

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

1. 500K but i've been there 3 times and typically drop back to 200K quickly. I spend a lot to make a lot =)

2. Conj. figured it would be good for my pug.

3. I am going to buy one for gear and leave my other for crafting.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

1) 300k gil. All leves; no external selling or buying. I tend to to just hand off shards, crystals, and other stuff to people in the linkshell.

2) None yet. :(

3) Probably not, I'm very cheap.

Sejarki on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

1. I usually hover around 350 - 400k at any given time. Most of mine comes from selling random GSM stuff.

2. Haven't gotten there yet :(

3. Most certainly. At least 2, way too much stuff that I need to store for the future, or materials in general that I hold on to until I have the crystals to synth them

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sitting on around 700k. Have bought maybe 50k in shards, but thats about it. Haven't sold anything, so its all leves/selling to npc/chests.

Thinking of switching to lancer... I'm enjoying speed surge, and the extra range on basic attacks, and looking forward to Feint a lot.

Edit so I'm not double posting:

The ending time for FINAL FANTASY XIV all-World server maintenance conducted on Oct. 15, 2010 starting at 0:00 PDT has been changed to 1:45 PDT.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
    Oct. 15, 2010 from 0:00 to 1:45 (PDT)
    * Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
    FINAL FANTASY XIV

HOW FUCKING DARE THEY GET DONE EARLY. What an incredible inconvenience.

Saphier on
    edited October 2010
    Wow. They ended early and the pushed through the changes to the market wards.

List of changes: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=dbb5a630f338f84b0b3583928bd4c19715154f30

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is quite a lot of wards.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We will be closely monitoring the trends and developments of the market system following the implementation of these revisions and new features, and will continue to make further adjustments and alterations to improve player usability and convenience. For example, we are currently looking into options that will provide players with precise information as to which items are located in which market areas, or the ability to seek out specific items without the need for speaking to retainers, and more.

Also, we are now taking steps to increase the number of retainers that a character is able to simultaneously employ.

You know what else would make for more usability and convenience? A bloody Auction House. With blood.
    Anima
    Q. What is the deal with the anima regeneration rate?
    A. During the Open Beta, anima was recovered at the rate of one point every six hours (Earth time). Since service began last week for owners of the collector’s edition, however, that rate has been adjusted to one point every four hours.

Followup question: "Why don't you realize that this is still horrible?"

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
    edited October 2010
    Kashi wrote: »
    We will be closely monitoring the trends and developments of the market system following the implementation of these revisions and new features, and will continue to make further adjustments and alterations to improve player usability and convenience. For example, we are currently looking into options that will provide players with precise information as to which items are located in which market areas, or the ability to seek out specific items without the need for speaking to retainers, and more.

Also, we are now taking steps to increase the number of retainers that a character is able to simultaneously employ.

You know what else would make for more usability and convenience? A bloody Auction House. With blood.
    Anima
    Q. What is the deal with the anima regeneration rate?
    A. During the Open Beta, anima was recovered at the rate of one point every six hours (Earth time). Since service began last week for owners of the collector’s edition, however, that rate has been adjusted to one point every four hours.

Followup question: "Why don't you realize that this is still horrible?"

Kashi, that anima update didn't just happen. It's been that way since retail. They are just referring people to the previous page they posted about.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • ShimazuShimazu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's to hoping this is as awesome a change as it seems. I've probably dug through thousands of bazaars by now, and if players go along with the new ward scheme, in combination with the browse streamlining, it should be bearable now. Bearable is a half-step closer to enjoyable.

Shimazu on
    FFXIV - Cao Cao @ Sargatanas
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow. 20 wards. And all of them are pretty specific.

It should make shopping bearable.

Sigtyr on
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    but where's the ward for adventurers who just want to sell random shit? Kind of like the flea market/tag sale ward.

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I don' see having a ward with a tax reduction for random items as being well received by the community.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited October 2010
    If you just wanna sell miscellaneous stuff you can put it in any market, you aren't forbidden, you just don't have the reduced tax. You can also put it up in your bazaar, which will probably help it sell faster.

a puddle on
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Those are some pretty specific wards. A little odd for a game that is encouraging me to flick between professions at the drop of a hat, but it's an improvement of sorts - especially 'Targeting and selecting a retainer will automatically open their Bazaar.' I've also vastly enjoyed the bazaar system, so things are pretty good now, it seems.

Now, surprise me with Inventory management, a search function for said wards and a mail system, next week (Fridays seem to bring updates, and my 30 days is up on the Sunday), and I'll feel a lot more like continuing for 30 more days. As it stands, I'm not quite sure.

Edit: The bag slots I see on my paperdoll; are these completely unused at the moment, or is it potentially an item that no one knows how to make yet? Even additional bags with 20-30 slots would solve a lot of problems I have.

Silent Tristero on