As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Difficult is Fun: Gothic

124»

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Dropped this for a bit due to picking up Mass Effect 1/2 again. Played a little today.

Managed to kill my 6 wolves and get some skins. Now I can go uptown! I haven't yet, trying to polish off a few more quests.

LPs feel a lot more precious this game. I think Gothic 1 had faster leveling overall. I've been playing for quite a while, and I only just hit level 5. I've sunk all my points into strength, skinning, and 1 handed combat. I still feel pretty gimpy.

I did follow Lares' advice and use Sleep on a guard so I could nab some free leather armor. That helped a lot. I've got enough gold to get a new sword now, I think I'll blow most of my cash on it.

Have you been to the Mercenary Farm yet? I missed it early on the first time I played but there's a cave just outside the farm and a witch lives in there. She makes potions and teaches you a few different things. Not critical to success or anything but the cave is easy to miss.

emnmnme on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still need to go to the merc farm. I'm working my way there.

I'm kind of ticked that I spend 15 points on sneaking and lockpicking, only to find that sneaking requires Dex or something. I wake up people from 15 feet away, making lockpicking impossible.

captaink on
    edited September 2010
    I am playing this super sporadically.

The LP cost to increase my strength just doubled. Do I have to balance strength and dexterity or is it just doubled forever?

captaink on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have played a bit of Risen, and by now I am quite enjoying it. It seems very unlikely that I will finish the game though.

Uniquely in my gaming experience I almost quit the game simply because of how annoying the bandits in the swamp were. I came there expecting the usual small town in peril routine, but I did not expect every single person I met to insult me in every goddamn sentence. I walked out of the town and quit the game for a few days after talking to most of the bandits, and only after the friend who recommended the game to me told me that I would get the chance to beat up and/or rob almost every person in the village did I give the game another go.

It is still hardly gripping storytelling. I have yet to give a shit about a single person I have met (with the possible exception of a few of the refugees in the town).

Vic on
    edited September 2010
    Risen is so much like Gothic 2 it is crazy. Risen is the better game though.

captaink on
    edited September 2010
    I've been using shift to sneak this whole time.

Sneak is actually X.

facepalm x100

captaink on
    edited September 2010
    Finally made some serious progress. Bought some hunting skills and took a hunting trip 'round the world. Ended up with 2 levels and advanced into chapter 2. I also got inducted into the ring of water. AND I got some medium merc armor. AND AND I beat 2 regular trolls and 1 black troll for a cool 2k xp plus some quests completed.

So, does the 2:1 ratio for strength persist past 30? I really have to sink 14 levels of lp into it to max it out?

captaink on
    edited September 2010
    I hope orcs are easier to kill than these bandits, otherwise my trip back into the valley of the mines is going to be agony.

captaink on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just tried the Gothic 4 Demo. Since I had just played the new Castlevania demo right before this, it didn't hold my attention for too long. Got to a point where I was supposed to go find blue mushrooms for a guy that looked suspiciously like the satyr from the original Clash of the Titans and just had to stop. Maybe I'll go back, because it wasn't really bad--who knows?

Also, I was surprised at how authentic the MC's girl looked for the time and setting. That is to say, quite busted. Usually that's not the case in these fantasy games.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    I found Diego! He helped me kill some orcs: I run around and he picks them off. For 300 xp a pop!. Unfortunately he won't follow me out towards the castle, so most of those orcs are still alive.

Question: Do I ever get back down to 1:1 ratios for LP:Strength (or Melee skill). Right now it's 2:1 for anything that I've hit 30 in (Strength, 1-h, 2-h, and Dex). Not sure how I will afford the strength to wield some of the weapons I've been seeing.

captaink on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just tried the Gothic 4 Demo. Since I had just played the new Castlevania demo right before this, it didn't hold my attention for too long. Got to a point where I was supposed to go find blue mushrooms for a guy that looked suspiciously like the satyr from the original Clash of the Titans and just had to stop. Maybe I'll go back, because it wasn't really bad--who knows?

Also, I was surprised at how authentic the MC's girl looked for the time and setting. That is to say, quite busted. Usually that's not the case in these fantasy games.

I was actually really enjoying the demo up until I was told to go collect blue mushrooms. I thought that was a joke. I thought, "Can't I just give this ugly fucker some gold or something?" *POWER OFF*

I came back a few days later to realize the demo doesn't save your game. Crappy. Still, I'm tempted to pick this up when it comes out later this month. I loved the combat for some reason.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

I was actually really enjoying the demo up until I was told to go collect blue mushrooms. I thought that was a joke. I thought, "Can't I just give this ugly fucker some gold or something?" *POWER OFF*

I came back a few days later to realize the demo doesn't save your game. Crappy. Still, I'm tempted to pick this up when it comes out later this month. I loved the combat for some reason.

Apparently, it's supposed to come out around the 19th or so. Same time as Fallout New Vegas. They're so boned.

Metallikat on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I forgot this thread is more active than the one actually made for Gothic 4! I should have posted my impressions here.

If anyone wants to read my impressions of the full game (with screenshots!), here's the link to the post:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=16937756#post16937756

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

Apparently, it's supposed to come out around the 19th or so. Same time as Fallout New Vegas. They're so boned.

Oh, jeez, really? Yeah, quite boned.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    I restarted Gothic 2 with a bit of...skewing things in my favor. Someone wrote a script that lets you change stuff up. I set it to 'easy' so I got 20 LP per level. A bit easy to begin with, but when strength goes 2:1 at 30, and 3:1 at 60, it feels a little more reasonable.

captaink on
    edited October 2010
    So far easy playthrough is going much better. Knowing where to go and being more powerful makes this much better.

Do there continue to be awesome Dex Swords? I just got a Master Sword. 60 Dex for a 120 damage sword. All the Str swords I can find have requirements equal to their damage.

And despite have that 120 damage and ~70 strength, I still have a pretty hard time with orc warriors, and I can't kill any of the wargs I have found.

captaink on
    edited October 2010
    I got the portal open for the water mages. Should I go do all this Night of the Raven stuff, or should I go to the valley of the mines for the rest of Chapter 2?

captaink on
    edited October 2010
    Night of the Raven content is awesome! Way more fun than the base game. I topped out my strength at 90, not sure if I will find a trainer that can get me above that or if I should start eating my strength stews and potions and whatnot.

captaink on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nvidia ever address the issue where Nvidia users couldn't play Gothic II?

Waffles or whatever on
    edited October 2010
    I'm playing on a 7800GT

captaink on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Night of the Raven content is awesome! Way more fun than the base game. I topped out my strength at 90, not sure if I will find a trainer that can get me above that or if I should start eating my strength stews and potions and whatnot.

Night of the Raven is perhaps one of the best game addons ever made, although it feels way too short. Nonetheless no one should miss out on it.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited November 2010
    I beat the Night of the Raven extra content. I liked it, though Raven wasn't too tough himself. Being a mercenary, I trashed the Claw of Beliar for extra XP. I've got better swords.

captaink on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Loved Gothic 2. Getting destroyed by a troll I wandered into for the first time taught me to run away from almost anything.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Trolls actually beatable though! Great early XP if you don't mind dodging and whittling away health for 10 minutes straight.

captaink on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trolls actually beatable though! Great early XP if you don't mind dodging and whittling away health for 10 minutes straight.

Yeah I really liked Gothic 2s approach to enemies. Its like yeah, things will mess you up, but if you have enough patience you can win. Or just wait until you are a beast and smash things. I went through as a swordsmen in Gothic 2 where normally I am mage. Really liked the game. Didn't play any of the others. Tried the demo for Gothic 3, but just couldn't get into it.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Made it to Chapter 3. Now everything has gone to hell and the [strike]Nazgul[/strike] Seekers are after me.

captaink on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Made it to Chapter 3. Now everything has gone to hell and the [strike]Nazgul[/strike] Seekers are after me.
    They are also known as sweet, juicy bags of XP.

Silpheed on
    edited February 2011
    I picked this up again today because dammit I am going to beat it.

I have resorted to flat-out cheating, because I'm getting sick of eating 50 pieces of meat one by one after fights to get my health back up.

I'm in chapter 4, just beat one dragon. It was pretty stupid. It sort of shuffle-flew around its lair and tried to breathe fire on me occasionally. I could have beat it, except it regenerates health! Really fast! Luckily, it is also stupid, so I eventually lucked into a spot where it sat still and I shot it with a crossbow until it died. Dumb. Now I guess I have 4 to go.

I don't know why a game with so many things I dislike is so compelling to play, but it is.

captaink on
    edited February 2011
    Chapter 5, I'm going to beat this sumbitch. I finally maxed out the LP/Strength ratio, so I burned all my potions, stews, apples, and stone tablets. Rocking 194 strength now. Just need to max out my 2h skill and I will be a melee badass.

captaink on
    edited February 2011
    Chapter 5 was refreshingly easy. It was really cool going around to all my bros from G1/G2 and handpicking my crew. Diego/Gorn/Milten/Lester are my boys.

captaink on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chapter 5, I'm going to beat this sumbitch. I finally maxed out the LP/Strength ratio, so I burned all my potions, stews, apples, and stone tablets. Rocking 194 strength now. Just need to max out my 2h skill and I will be a melee badass.

:shock:

Are you trying to one-shot the final boss or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqV0C9Ir7RM

emnmnme on
    edited February 2011
    No. My best axe takes 170, I was worried I would never get that much.

captaink on
    edited February 2011
    I win! Yaaaay. Glad to have this monkey off my back, I've been playing it off and on since last summer.

Ending was a little better than 1, since I got to talk to all my buddies I brought on my ship. Xardas is enigmatic as ever.

captaink on
    edited February 2011
    I guess I will start Gothic 3 soon. I hear it is made better by some kind of fan patch.

captaink on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I believe this is the latest version: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=825092

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011
    Thanks. Taking a Gothic break but I will grab that when I am ready.

captaink on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just a warning, it's a like a gig download.

Sir Carcass on
    edited February 2011
    More size must mean more good!

captaink on