As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didn't see an option to make sure there is a parking spot available at the Westin when I booked. Is this something I'll have to call ahead in advance when we get closer to PAX?

Gameshark on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    25 minutes is an eternity. You should see the mess that is SDCC hotel reservations. They sell out every hotel in the city of San Diego in approximately two minutes. And the site disintegrates in the meantime. (OnPeak seemed to hold up surprisingly well. Yay, OnPeak!)

antherem on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yay! Just booked the Westin! :mrgreen:

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Westin (waterfront), Baby!

Ed: CrapCrapCrap <checks email> Gibbering Heavens that was lucky. Two westins on the list.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The waterfront seems pretty weak for Thursday night which are the nights we are aiming for... and weak Sunday night, are they gonna increase numbers? Or are they what they are?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    I would assume they are what they are. The Westin Waterfront only has 793 rooms.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The waterfront seems pretty weak for Thursday night which are the nights we are aiming for... and weak Sunday night, are they gonna increase numbers? Or are they what they are?

I'm thinking they are going to release blocks at a time. Last year hotels kept reappearing on the list of available ones.

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    smerk wrote: »
    Westin (waterfront), Baby!

Ed: CrapCrapCrap <checks email> Gibbering Heavens that was lucky. Two westins on the list.

Haha yeah, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw there were two Westins on the poll. Had to double check my reservation like you did.

Hopefully nobody actually DID make that error...that would suck bad. D:

Angrypasta on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The hotel I've got booked isn't even listed. Club Quarters for $99 a night still beats down any of these deals. Ha!

It's not a tumor on
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are some problems with the website. I was just browsing around and now I'm apparently logged in as someone else and can see what their reservation selection is and various other things (email address, phone number).

e. Pappalardo

Creamsteak on
  • bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Booked @waterfront

Woot is an understatement.

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I literally went to book my room five minutes after Khoo tweeted, and the Westin was all sold out of two bed rooms Thursday night. They must have hardly had any available.

Not too worried about it though - I booked at the Renaissance which is actually a lot closer then OnPeak makes it look.

rufo on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    The hotel I've got booked isn't even listed. Club Quarters for $99 a night still beats down any of these deals. Ha!

Whoops, forgot to put an "Other" option on there this time.

Besides, you can't put a price on being attached to the convention center. Well, you can, but it's reasonable is what I'm saying.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I would assume they are what they are. The Westin Waterfront only has 793 rooms.

That worries me, cause there's only 22 Thursday night 2-bed rooms left... And we need 2-3!!! /worryworry

Edit: Just dropped to 21 WORRY WORRY WORRY

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited October 2010

Besides, you can't put a price on being attached to the convention center. Well, you can, but it's reasonable is what I'm saying.

If you can get me discounts on my plane ticket I'd reconsider, but I already have to fork over $330 for the cheapest flight I can get. :P

It's not a tumor on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I need more pole options! I had to book at two hotels to get close to the convention centre. I have the 8th and 9th at the Renaissance, and the 10th - 14th at the Westin Waterfront. It's $10 cheaper and 0.0 miles away.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm thinking they are going to release blocks at a time. Last year hotels kept reappearing on the list of available ones.

I think that was more people were canceling their reservations and it was going back into the general open block

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow...no 2-bed rooms available at the waterfront Sunday night, after only a day of registration. And the link isn't up on the PAX page yet.

That...seems kinda wonky to me. It's a convention centre hotel. It shouldn't run out of 2-bed rooms THAT quickly, no? (May just be naive here)

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

If you can get me discounts on my plane ticket I'd reconsider, but I already have to fork over $330 for the cheapest flight I can get. :P

It's a fight between the personal value of being this close to the con versus the tangible value of saving money through other options. I booked something else for 133$ A few days ago and I'm quite satisfied. Both the my hotel and CQ are fairly close, to a point it's doable on foot if the weather permits. The cab fair is cheap and the public transportation is almost at our door step.

All of this is nice but there are no winners a in this debate. Some would have gladly paid even more just to be in the same hotel for Pax because it's important to them. That's totally fine! In fact I bet a few parties will be going on.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited October 2010
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    There are some problems with the website. I was just browsing around and now I'm apparently logged in as someone else and can see what their reservation selection is and various other things (email address, phone number).

e. Pappalardo

Hmm...I'd say thats a little bit disconcerting.

Angrypasta on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Me and my PAX Bro are registered for the Westin Waterfront... now just trying to finalize transport method coming from Baltimore.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow...no 2-bed rooms available at the waterfront Sunday night, after only a day of registration. And the link isn't up on the PAX page yet.

That...seems kinda wonky to me. It's a convention centre hotel. It shouldn't run out of 2-bed rooms THAT quickly, no? (May just be naive here)

From looking at the numbers considering 300+ rooms across the hotels have already been reserved no its not that unbelievable.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited October 2010
    Frugus wrote: »

It's a fight between the personal value of being this close to the con versus the tangible value of saving money through other options. I booked something else for 133$ A few days ago and I'm quite satisfied. Both the my hotel and CQ are fairly close, to a point it's doable on foot if the weather permits. The cab fair is cheap and the public transportation is almost at our door step.

All of this is nice but there are no winners a in this debate. Some would have gladly paid even more just to be in the same hotel for Pax because it's important to them. That's totally fine! In fact I bet a few parties will be going on.

I probably wouldn't even consider it if it was just for PAX, but fortunately I'm using PAX as an excuse to visit Boston, so it all works out.

It's not a tumor on
  • rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

From what I can tell, Thur/Sun night rooms they pre-booked less of, and even fewer Wed/Mon, and that contributed to those nights disappearing fast. At the same time, keep in mind not everyone going to a convention is going to want 2-bed rooms. For example, more commercial conventions where a company is paying, frequently 1-bed rooms will be primarily in demand. Odds on the Westin is 50/50 at best.

rnicoll on
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    From looking at the numbers considering 300+ rooms across the hotels have already been reserved no its not that unbelievable.

You guys will be getting more Wed/Sun night rooms next year, right?

(I'll be booking hotel, then flights, next year)

rnicoll on
  • RazorDRazorD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

And you'll have at least 1 other PAXer with you there! (Hint: Me.)

RazorD on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couple of things.

1- Anyone else booked at the Nine Zero?

2- For others who want to book cheap I think you may be able to book the Onyx for about 120$ a night. It's not that far from the convention either.

3- I have a good list of potential hotels, I'll get back to MyMaps as soon as I have a few free minutes today.

4- I saw that certain hotels had Shuttles available. Anyone know more about this? What are the max hours of the shuttle service, etc...

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's the one good thing about living close to Boston; we only have to book a hotel for two nights. Definitely helps with money. :mrgreen:

So dumb question, but at the Westin Boston Waterfront, are all the rooms that are spaced off close to each other? For example, will my neighbors be Paxers? I would hate to think we might keep someone up if we're being debaucherous in the wee hours of the morning.

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Krissta wrote: »
    That's the one good thing about living close to Boston; we only have to book a hotel for two nights. Definitely helps with money. :mrgreen:

So dumb question, but at the Westin Boston Waterfront, are all the rooms that are spaced off close to each other? For example, will my neighbors be Paxers? I would hate to think we might keep someone up if we're being debaucherous in the wee hours of the morning.

Not usually. If you know someone else going, the hotel might be able to arrange adjacent rooms.

antherem on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm booked in at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I stayed in a Westin during E3 and it was a great hotel. Happy to have booked in the hotel that sits on the venue.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Frugus wrote: »
    4- I saw that certain hotels had Shuttles available. Anyone know more about this? What are the max hours of the shuttle service, etc...

I'd like to know about this shuttle too.

Trion on
  • UnstaUnsta Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Westin Waterfront FTW!

Only 14 rooms left for Thursday night for those coming in early.

And only 73 left for Friday/Saturday.

Unsta on
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ya know what? Forget the shuttle.

Seaport!

Trion on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm at the Club Quarters as well. I stayed at the Seaport before, but I'd be too tempted to sleep in that close and get over confident thinking "oh sure, I won't get that far back in line to get in" then have murphy's law come around and bite me in the ass. I need motivation to get my ass there early.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

edited October 2010
    Man, what a one-sided poll.

I assume this means that the Westin Lobby is going to be taken over by PAX at night? I need people to get my Catan on with.

Angrypasta on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rnicoll wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »

I wouldn't count on the Westin having any rooms available at all by the end of the year. You're not charged a dime yet, so why in the world are you waiting so long to book?

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    rnicoll wrote: »

I wouldn't count on the Westin having any rooms available at all by the end of the year. You're not charged a dime yet, so why in the world are you waiting so long to book?

Sorry, by "next year", I meant "this time, next year", or PAX 2012!

rnicoll on
  • TinksterTinkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I took that to mean next year's PAX, not as in waiting until after the first of the year.

*edit*
    Oop, crossed with rnicoll's post ^_^

Tinkster on
    edited October 2010
    Tinkster wrote: »
    I took that to mean next year's PAX, not as in waiting until after the first of the year.

*edit*
    Oop, crossed with rnicoll's post ^_^

Ah, race conditions. I'm writing a voting system and currently trying to ensure we don't have this sort of problem!

Anyone else thinking about PAX Prime 2011 hotel rooms, at the moment, BTW?

rnicoll on
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As of right now (10:30am Eastern) there is only 1 room left with 2 beds for Thursday night at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I just reserved one for Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. Too bad I couldn't get Sunday, but I'm only 5 hours away by bus, and NYC never sleeps :)
    Now to find a roomie...Off to the Sharing Thread go I!

basicallygeek on