As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AC Lurker Thread (NSFW)

• AlecxantAlecxant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That looks nice, I really like the muted color and mood of it. I feel like she needs her torso more though. That arm doesn't have anything bound to it without the torso, so its kinda of visually strange.

good work though, oil or chalk pastels?

Alecxant on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, having done more of the torso would have been good - but at some point I decided to up the challenge and went for the head instead :)

As for the pastels, I believe that they are chalk - it's a Faber Castel soft pastels blue box.

Aim on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I marked the thread as NSFW in case anyone is posting figure studies. As always, forum rules apply:
    If in the doodle thread or anywhere that NSFW material is not globally marked, please link to images people may find offensive and label the link as such. Remember the old adage: When in doubt, ask a Mod first.

DMAC on
  • brzozowszkibrzozowszki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey all. I'm not an illustrator or anything. I'm more well suited to making pictures move than keeping them still. Here goes...

gregbrowe_ffl_inkmonk002.jpg

firstandforsakenlion.jpg

I plan to go back in and change some things, notably the unpainted chain on his skirt/robe thingy the highlights at the bottom of his torso/close to his pelvis, and the orange marks on his left pauldron. They're getting kind of messy and irrelevant.

And yes, I will listen to crits and comments.

brzozowszki on
  • EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheFather8x11.jpg

Some Character design for my illustration class. Taking crits as brutal as they may be.

Eugal on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm super terrible with anatomy, so maybe I'm wrong, but the lower legs look way too short. And the shin guards look like they'd impale his feet every time he tried to walk.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    damn there are some terrificly talented lurkers here... it took me a bit to figure out what bothered me most about this one the head is over twisted... which american mcgee might appreciate but was not the intent...

img092.jpg

farbekrieg on
  • harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alright I've been successfully scared back into the lurker thread.
    Trying to come up with something for a class assignment.
    Which works better?

C)
    Gw4Xw.png

D)
    CZcKd.png

They are goats made with human silhouettes.

harryk on
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can say that the first one looks more like one at first glance. It's a neat idea.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • AnthelionAnthelion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't lurk AC often.

I make bugs sometimes (actually this stuff is over two years old).

Too big?

ant.jpg

Dogbane.jpg

Looking at a picture and drawing what I see seems to be about the only thing I can do.

Anthelion on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That beetle is so pretty!
    I may be biased!

lyrium on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It is really pretty.

Paradise on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    More stuff from the class:

Last week:
    Week1013.jpg

And this week. (Something's messed up with the elbow, and her behind wasn't quite that large). It's funny the ammount of problems that you only see after you stop looking at your drawing for a while.
    week1020.jpg

Aim on
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    doodling while watching my friend play Earthbound. I've never seen it played before, I love the designs and the dialogue

punk.png

unassuminglocalguy.png

carpainter.jpg

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
    edited November 2010
    keep going fellow lurkers you are posting some great stuff

still working, still lurking.... setting the a goal to pollute the doodle thread in the new year

spoilered for largish (tried the manual resize to see how it works)
    img203.jpg

img225.jpg

img221.jpg

farbekrieg on
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    photo23p.jpg

Is it bad when the lurker thread makes you too afraid to post because all the damn lurkers are intimidating you because they're all so good?

flowerhoney on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I occasionally post, but I consider myself a lurker by nature.

Probably the last things I did artwise, aside from all my uni book scribbles, I should totally post my uni book scribbles, wakka scares me from the doodle thread:

blah_by_prohass.png

demon guy
    demon1_by_prohass.jpg

demonnext_by_prohass.png

the perpetually unfinished self cartoon-doodle portrait of me as a Valentine's day battlemage
    blahvalent_by_prohass.jpg

Yeah i dont finish stuff. Mainly because I lurk here and it crushes my fragile soul, also im super lazy

Oh also after playing New Vegas im totally in the mood to finish this:
    Promdfall_by_prohass.jpg

EDIT: Uni doodles, linked for hugeness:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/307/1/5/dsadsa_by_prohass-d32482f.jpg

Prohass on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Hello AC, I lurk here some times.

This is something I made for class, we were grouped together and had to think up a game design concept. It was a weird assignment because I attend a technical university (engineering). We invented Carmageddon but called it something else. The top one is the front page we had for our powerpoint presentation, the two others illustrate how the hypothetical players would be able to customize their hypothetical cars.
    crash_course_design_smaller.jpg

This is a sculpture that I did the 3D design for, based on a 2d sketch, then some skilled people assembled it. The picture is from my trip when I went to look at it for the first time. Also in this image: me (to the right). It is made up of about 16k tiny plastic cubes.
    IMG_3079_smaller.jpg

Edit: Resize!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm digging the giant 3-D pixel tree

At first I thought they were made of legos!

flowerhoney on
  • GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Posted awhile back then I stopped drawing for a couple years. Bought a sketchbook on a whim the other day.
    doodlesz.jpg
    I have problems with white space between doodles. Kinda end up just filling it in with crap.

buildingsj.jpg
    Sketch of some buildings.

bear1lb.jpg
    redraw of a bear i did ages ago.

comicg.jpg
    rough comic concept. definitely gonna re-draw this and clean it up sometime. maybe even finish it.

So uh, hey everyone. You guys do good art and it is scary.

GhostManOnThird on
    edited November 2010
    i miss my co-lurkers, tossing this out to try and lure some back... im not happy with it but most recent thing ive drawn (trying to start playing with color)

img254.jpg

farbekrieg on
  • NATOFOXNATOFOX Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    Haven't drawn much lately, here is some month old stuff.

daily1_by_bobsavedthequeen-d2y9hx0.jpg

desu_by_bobsavedthequeen-d2yabkm.jpg

NATOFOX on
  • et1337et1337 Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    New guy here... got some art for a project I'm working on. I would greatly appreciate any advice/critique you have! Aside from pointing out the fact that there's some straps and such missing. I'm aware. :mrgreen:

FEAZ2l.jpg

et1337 on
  • TDevTDev Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i made this for a thing that i'm making. i wish i drew better but at least it's just a card game.
    5222875942_2ed6585031.jpg

felt like delurking today. maybe i don't want to finish writing my essays. o_O

TDev on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Been working on my art school application portfolio. Here are a few of the works included, thought this would be a good place to start on getting criticism and opinions

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Gatsby on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The thumb on the large hand is way too small.

Scosglen on
  • EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Keep at it guys! Prohass, I love the demon guy in particular and Honk your tree looks awesome. It's giant!

I've had time to actually sit at the PC and draw lately (so my girly stitching has been left in a corner for now..):

Self-portrait doodle:
    peeep.jpg

Draenei sketch (NSFW):
    clickie

Edilith on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The jaw line shouldn't go that far over given the position of the head. Try putting the jaw line going up a little after or before the neck line on the right. Otherwise pretty danged cute drawing.

Arden Canelo on
  • EnzieEnzie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been lurking for a long while, and then this thread came up, and I lurked even more...but no longer! I have a bit of low self-esteem about my drawings because I feel like I'm never "finished." And I'm in art school, so I'm always doing "homework" art. But here is some older stuff of mine.

A line drawing(nsfw):
    oengus.png

Photo reference:
    CCI04262010_00000.png

Comic Book-y:
    kaIRos.jpg

This is a detail from a WIP of my first serious attempt at digital drawing. It's Richard Dawkins fighting Ronald Hutton. (I'm rooting for Hutton.)
    w_d.jpg

Enzie on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The right leg (our left) of that comic-booky one is way too short. I think you were going for some foreshortening but then the angle is wrong and the boot/ rest of the leg doesn't get big enough to appear like its being foreshortened.

Other than that (and getting darker darks in the photo reference) you've got a pretty slick and refined style.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Suppose I'll post this here, it's not without reference though:

lennon.jpg

symbolsor on
    edited December 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    The right leg (our left) of that comic-booky one is way too short. I think you were going for some foreshortening but then the angle is wrong and the boot/ rest of the leg doesn't get big enough to appear like its being foreshortened.

Other than that (and getting darker darks in the photo reference) you've got a pretty slick and refined style.

Yeah, I see the problem with the foreshortening there. (And my professors are always riding me about darker darks.) Thanks a lot!

Enzie on
  • slimbocslimboc Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    put one more down on the lurker tally.

Some of these are a little old now but it's all good.
    rakupitcher.jpg

terrasigillata.jpg

temari.jpg

and being an architecture major also means I have a slew of models / projects everywhere. Not really sure if they count but I still like them. Both of them have a full set of boards that goes along with them but a lot of it's technical mumbo jumbo.

fp10.jpg

PA301035.jpg

slimboc on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I applaud all those that have de-lurked.
    Slimboc - I really like that sunflower weaved thingy
    Symbolsor - i feel bad i can't tell who that is but he looks awesome
    Enzie - I'd like to know more about your comic-y guy.

Arden Canelo on
  • AxleMooreAxleMoore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haven't really been lurking per say, but I haven't posted any of my own work either.

I got really bored yesterday and drew a quick sketch of Hobbes from the cover of There's Treasure Everywhere, and then I got even move bored and semi finished it. I wrapped it in spoiler tags because it's fairly wide.
    hobbessketch2.jpg

AxleMoore on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Really nice recreation of the Watterson style. Good colors too.

Things to be cautious of: Line width variation and flatness.

Every line has a purpose, and the thickness and degree that it tapers off are parts of what makes them so important. For example, the shovel and caked on dirt have mega skinny lines even though they are in front of everything else in the image, Those bushes in the way back have super duty thick lines and attract the eye immediately into the background when they shouldn't be.

Also for the flatness, some of the problem areas are Calvin's shirt sleeves and the bushes and trees. Try to think of shapes more 3 dimensionally and the space they take up. Also the way you shade them can create the illusion of shape also. Hobbes looks pretty excellent in this regard. Keep up the good work and I hope that helped!

earthwormadam on
    edited December 2010
    Enzie - I'd like to know more about your comic-y guy.

He's Kairos - the ancient Greek God of Opportunity. And punk rock haircuts. (I drew it for a friend who really likes Madeleine L'Engle; she wrote about Kairos as a philosophical concept in a series of books of the same name.)

Enzie on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Edilith, I like the way your draenei picture is looking, but her upper legs are too short. I think.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yay I actually made something.

A thing for school:
    EcszC.jpg

harryk on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nice work harryk, I like the dudes doing the camel dance.
    Hokusai's wave also feels very nice, making it dark kinda makes it feel more stormy and chaotic.

m3nace on