As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Ugh feral your office looks like our "server" closet.

That was a random GIS. I don't really have an office, I have a desk in an 'open office environment' which is a nice way of saying 'we're too cheap to spring for cubicles or a decent space, so we're just going to put everybody on desks in an open floor.' I keep thinking about throwing my boss a copy of Peopleware and saying "You're doing it all wrong!" but I know that nothing will ever happen from it.

I'm half the IT department at my job. My "office" is a desk in accounts receivable. Right by the lady who handles all the really troublesome accounts and everyone else comes to for advice and gossip. It gets pretty colorful around here.

Also the whole place is kind of a shambles I've been trying to slowly clean up. It's a manufacturing company that makes great product and loves to get robots and lasers and stuff for the factory, but really drags their feet on upgrading computer stuff. All the IT stuff before I got here was handled by my boss, who isn't a sysadmin guy at all, he's just the COBOL programmer, a guy from engineering who knows a little about networking, and a guy in marketing who was basically "the young guy who knows things about computers because he's young." The network grew organically with switches added in various places as more capacity was needed. So we've got a lot of computers that don't necessarily connect to the closest switch, or have a reason for connecting to the switch they do other than, "there was an open port".

Over the last couple years I've managed to get all the Windows 95/98/2000 pcs removed, or at least relegated to the factory where they can live out their last days without internet access.

Did I mention our internal IP address scheme 90.0.0.0/255.255.255.0? Yeah, that's not an address block that's supposed to be used for internal addresses. Actually belongs to a French ISP, and we've had some issues where a couple PCs that print to network printers randomly decided to resolve the IP to a name in the port settings so the print jobs got sent a router halfway across the world. That was fun. I've been trying to convince my boss for over 2 years that we need to set aside a couple days and just fix it.

enough grumbling for now I guess.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Google Instant Search: worst thing, or worstest thing?

TL DR on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow that could be problematic tofy.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did I mention our internal IP address scheme 90.0.0.0/255.255.255.0? Yeah, that's not an address block that's supposed to be used for internal addresses. Actually belongs to a French ISP, and we've had some issues where a couple PCs that print to network printers randomly decided to resolve the IP to a name in the port settings so the print jobs got sent a router halfway across the world. That was fun. I've been trying to convince my boss for over 2 years that we need to set aside a couple days and just fix it.

Wow.

That could be causing flaky behind-the-scenes problems with Active Directory or Group Policy or Exchange.

My strong feeling is that you need to get your TCP/IP and DNS implementations nailed down first; having something wrong (like a Class A :!: subnet being used in a private network) is like having termites in your foundation.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Wow.

That could be causing flaky behind-the-scenes problems with Active Directory or Group Policy or Exchange.

Whew, dodged a bullet there. Your fancy moonspeak words don't exist in our office. It's just a flat network with a couple different workgroups, a file server, and two servers that run the old (and thankfully in the process of being retired and contents moved to the) new document system. I would love to before I move on to greener pastures get a real actual honest to gosh domain going, so peoples shared documents are centrally located. I wouldn't have to add users on peoples PCs for every person who needs access to them. We could maybe have some DHCP. I'm drooling.

If I don't get that and the IP address thing fixed before I find something else, it's already on the "battles to fight" list for whoever will replace me.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Back to the antivirus discussion, we use Kaspersky, and it is ass.

Actually, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop and it is fine, but I don't think that it would be right for use at large.

Funny IT stories: we don't have a designated IT staff here, but a very sharp programmer is in charge of most of it, with me taking up the slack because I actually was a netadmin for a different company (and I never want to do that again). Windows updates were in shambles when I started so I set up a WSUS server and everything works great. At least when the users don't turn off their computers. I told people for months to not turn off their computers, and some still didn't listen.

So I took the off button away in group policy. I now derive sadistic pleasure from watching people look around for the shut down button at the end of the day, only to get frustrated and walk away.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I did that a long time ago chamberlain. Mainly because before I started someone used to, at the end of the day, use shutdown and shutdown a server. They always left early too so that was a clusterfuck.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whew, dodged a bullet there. Your fancy moonspeak words don't exist in our office. It's just a flat network with a couple different workgroups, a file server, and two servers that run the old (and thankfully in the process of being retired and contents moved to the) new document system. I would love to before I move on to greener pastures get a real actual honest to gosh domain going, so peoples shared documents are centrally located. I wouldn't have to add users on peoples PCs for every person who needs access to them. We could maybe have some DHCP. I'm drooling.

If I don't get that and the IP address thing fixed before I find something else, it's already on the "battles to fight" list for whoever will replace me.

D:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Funny IT stories: we don't have a designated IT staff here, but a very sharp programmer is in charge of most of it, with me taking up the slack because I actually was a netadmin for a different company (and I never want to do that again). Windows updates were in shambles when I started so I set up a WSUS server and everything works great. At least when the users don't turn off their computers. I told people for months to not turn off their computers, and some still didn't listen.

So I took the off button away in group policy. I now derive sadistic pleasure from watching people look around for the shut down button at the end of the day, only to get frustrated and walk away.

What I do with WSUS is enforce a group policy that if Windows Updates were missed, they'll run immediately on the next boot. Works for me.

Feral on

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We use Sophos here and it is not that bad. We left barracuda and CA Antivirus (was poopy) and so far things seem great with it.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it cool to ask newb server management questions in this thread? I got my hands on a year's worth of free Microsoft Server 2008 (R2?)/IIS 7.5 VPS access through the WebsiteSpark program, and 'overwhelmed' doesn't begin to describe it.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Is it cool to ask newb server management questions in this thread? I got my hands on a year's worth of free Microsoft Server 2008 (R2?)/IIS 7.5 VPS access through the WebsiteSpark program, and 'overwhelmed' doesn't begin to describe it.

Ask away, I'm sure someone can answer.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Feral, we use Trend Micro Security Agent and Symantec DLO for backups. Basically if a user gets hosed and Trend Micro doesn't fix it, we immediately nuke and pave with a secure backup.

Anyway. I had a reaaaaally fun time last night! Seven hours of overtime!

Here are my notes.
    Just a record of what all transpired yesterday evening.

Would also like to note that the phone in question worked fine on the non PoE
    2960. One of the things I did not test was to see if it was a PoE problem
    _only_ and if the phone would behave if “power inline never” was applied to
    the interface and the power adapter reapplied.

Last night I swapped out the 2960 for the PoE 3750. I copied over the
    interfaces exactly so it would be a 1:1 transfer of the patch cables. This
    worked fine for everyone except [Name4]'s additional phone line, which I had set
    aside to occupy the single empty int on the 3750.

Plugged 3750 in, came up, green across the INTs. Checked phones. They
    powered fine but did not pull an IP address. I checked the VTP status and the
    Revision number was 0. VTP was set to server, so I changed to transparent.
    I set the trunk 1/0/24 on [edit] Sw2 B to encapsulation dot1q and turned it up.
    On [edit] Sw2 Master 2/0/19 I did the same. [edit] Sw2 B did not pull the Vlans.

I set the VTP domain to [edit] (I was not aware of a password for that domain
    name either, which had a hand in the problem) and vtp mode to client. Still
    no vlans. I reloaded the switch.

Switch came back up, all ints were orange. [edit] Sw2 B still did not pull Vlan.
    Called [Name3], who suggested manually creating vlan4 and vlan8. Did so. Then
    [edit] sw2 master, [edit] sw3, [edit] sw1 master, warehouse, and the [edit] wlc went down.
    The signs of a spanning tree loop were predictable. All of the interfaces
    would blink rapidly in unison. After about five seconds of this, [edit] would go
    down. Five minutes would pass, the network would converge, and everything
    would run smoothly for a few minutes before the ints would begin blinking again.
    NOCC came to check on the issue as well. They said they would update [Name6]
    on what all happened.

I disabled trunk. Everything came back up.

I changed encapsulation from dot1q to isl on the trunks between [edit] 2 B and
    [edit] 2 Master hoping that would have some affect, but it did not. I checked
    cdp neighbors and was able to see [edit] Sw2 b was able to see [edit] Sw2 Master.
    It was. Checked root ID. It was right.

Turned up trunks again. Crash.

[Name] texted me when he noticed the alerts and let me know that there was a VTP
    password on the VTP domain. Set the vtp password with the "vtp password"
    command. [edit] Sw2 B pulled down all vlans, but was still crashing. In between
    the crashes the Netcracker phones were pulling an IP and getting a dial tone.
    [Name2] came to help out and began checking root bridge and interface
    priorities. [Name2] did a test dial to his cell phone from one of the
    Netcracker phones and was able to make a call.

We checked root bridge for the vlans only on [edit] Sw1 Master. Everything
    looked good. [Name3] later noticed that on [edit] Sw2 Master, some of the vlans on
    it were labeled at having [edit] Sw2 Master as the root.

I unplugged everything from [edit] Sw2 B save the trunk and the network returned.
    I started plugging interfaces in a few at a time and monitored. Everything
    stayed up in this process from int 1 to 12. I plugged 13 to
    16 and the network immediately crashed. I did a shutdown on 14 and 16.
    Network came back up. Plugged everything else back in. Network stayed up.

I plugged 14 on [edit] Sw2 B in again and the network immediately went down.
    Shutdown 14. Let network re converge. Brought 16 without the phone
    plugged in. No problems. Plugged phone in. No problems. Narrowed issue
    down to either int 14 or the phone plugged into it.

I also applied a "switchport trunk allowed vlan add #,#" on [edit] Sw2 Master 19 (the trunk) to filter out the unneeded vlans.

Shows:
    switchport trunk allowed vlan #,#

On the interface.

Don't think it worked because [edit] Sw2 B still has all of the other vlans on
    it. May need to apply it to the trunk on [edit] Sw2 B as well.

Since network was stable we began packing up.

[Name2] noted that on [edit] Sw1 Master the second 3750 in the stack would
    actually POWER OFF when we were experiencing issues. The master switch would
    just shut down all of the interfaces, but switch 2 would actually power off
    and on.

I hung around while [Name3] made some changes on [edit] Sw2 B just in case something
    happened. Everything was good. I hooked my laptop up to one of the phones we
    were not having issues with and pulled a correct IP and was able to get
    outside of the network.

Throughout all of this I kept 1 and 2 on [edit] Sw2 B unplugged. They
    were not experiencing issues. However, I did not know where these interfaces
    went and the user's phone still had the power adapter and the logging on [edit]
    Sw2 B was becoming a hindrance. Hence, removing them for testing purposes.
    [Name2] reported that they were working this morning. Assuming someone else
    took care of that.

These notes are from [Name2] this morning:

"As soon as I plugged in that VOIP phone from [Name5]'s cubicle in to a
    different port than 14, it crashed the network again. Kyle had actually told
    me last night that it was either a bad interface or the phone, and I
    completely forgot about the phone possibility. So kudos to Kyle..

On a positive note, I had everything up and running again before anyone
    experienced any related symptoms. Kyle and I are up and I will be
    getting another IP phone from [Name4] for [Name5]. I suspect the card was bad and
    was flooding the switches with giants. Since the research I did stated that a
    cable could do this as well, I will wait until after 5pm to try to plug a
    phone in for him again"

Edited out switch names and coworkers.

More network fun:

The best thing about being remote network support is discovering undocumented customer additions to our network! Got a call yesterday morning that a site was without network connectivity. So I get to our switches and find host-flapping messages on our core switch. I eventually trace the problem to a specific access switch, which I can't reach, so I kill the whole thing and leave a message for the on site guy to call me.

He goes out to the switch in question and is describing the situation to me when he casually mentions the unmanaged linksys hub they've plugged in. Delightful! Sure of that being the problem I have him unplug it. Sure enough, no issues when I bring our access switch back on-line. He says, you know some of the port lights are showing collisions, let me unplug those and plug this back in. He does, errors come back.

I ask him what else is plugged into the linksys. "Oh, three old token ring cables with ethernet converters on them."

This was almost as good as the time I found out one of our switch's uplink cables was a token ring cable between two ethernet converters to another access switch. That was especially fun because the customer didn't think to bring this up until after an hour of troubleshooting.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Why are people still using that garbage? I know it's a sentimental thing, but jeez.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow. That's a heckuva Frankenstein's network there.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah, when my company took over this customer's network we were able to "transform" a number of sites which do not have any of this ridiculousness. unfortunately, the ones we didn't get to change over are a hodgepodge of undocumented crap and old equipment. it does make the whole thing a little more interesting I guess....

twmjr on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone else work for a company that JUST RECENTLY made the jump from Server 2000 because Microsoft is no longer supporting it?

I mean seriously. I had someone come up to me the other day and ask me how to execute a dos command. I was like "Dude I'm 27.... Fuck if I know. It's DOS..."

It's amazing how old the systems are at some of the larger companies out there.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This needs to be in the OP

tech_support.png

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah yes. Programmers. We are the best system admins.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    twmjr wrote: »
    I ask him what else is plugged into the linksys. "Oh, three old token ring cables with ethernet converters on them."

We just had a tech leave due to longstanding medical issues. Good guy, very skilled, but it was obvious he was starting to have problems. We had a network segment in the office that was down. Turned out he had connected two switches together... with two patch cables.
    Anyone else work for a company that JUST RECENTLY made the jump from Server 2000 because Microsoft is no longer supporting it?

I have a number of clients who just finally retired their last 2000 servers.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010

I have a number of clients who just finally retired their last 2000 servers.

Biggest pain in the ass ever.

We've still actually got a few dev servers up and running with 2000 that haven't been migrated because they're just going to be phased out, but seriously, who does that.

The main office of info resources wouldn't sign off on us moving to server 2008 either. They made us jump to 2003, which we will have the same problem with in two years.

I don't know what the fuck they're going to do in 2013 when they stop supporting XP completely.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah yes. Programmers. We are the best system admins.

Yes, of course.

Like the programmer at my last job who begged me to reboot his build computer every day, because he thought the system had a memory leak due to "top" showing memory in use.

Explaining to him how the OS allocates memory for programs was no help. Every day, I would refuse to reboot the thing, he'd go to his boss, then the bosses would get on my case. Dude was a bit of a drama queen and was their best developer, so eventually they just told me to do whatever he asked.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah well, he's more of a "special" case.

Like the guy whose flat file db program locked up and he wants me to reboot the server and make it work.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The main office of info resources wouldn't sign off on us moving to server 2008 either. They made us jump to 2003, which we will have the same problem with in two years.

Now that is retarded.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    So glad that I'm deploying 2k8 now and Exch2k10 soon

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    bigwah wrote: »

Make sure you budget for a trusted SSL cert with multiple names for each client access server. It's about $70-90 a year.

Feral on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ya in my experience, programmers are terrible with their computers and know nothing. That's not to say that admins and tech people don't know programming.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ya in my experience, programmers are terrible with their computers and know nothing. That's not to say that admins and tech people don't know programming.

Different breed of programmer probably.

I guess a good way to find out is to ask them how large an integer is and see what they say.

bowen on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

What I do with WSUS is enforce a group policy that if Windows Updates were missed, they'll run immediately on the next boot. Works for me.

Sametown Internash.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My issues dont stem from programmers my issues stem from accountants and admin. I inherited a DB server with 300gigs of memory. That is it. It is a file srv, DB srv and web srv.... .... .... yeah well when I told the dept that we needed to upgrade the storage space they went to admin and asked for a whole new server. The server was bought one year ago. Well admin then bitches me out about why the server wasnt bought with the correct specs when I inherited the son of a b.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Different breed of programmer probably.

I guess a good way to find out is to ask them how large an integer is and see what they say.

Nah we were the same kind of programmers, we all knew our shit (programing wise), they just knew nothing about computer maintenance.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man kids these days are lazy. Probably a side effect to growing up with a PC and learning programming rather than picking an IT topic from a college brochure.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    All programmers know is "the system you give everyone else in the company isn't good enough for me...I need one with 12 gigs of ram and the best video card on the market.... now"

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    All programmers know is "the system you give everyone else in the company isn't good enough for me...I need one with 12 gigs of ram and the best video card on the market.... now"

Whenever I've worked in a corporate environment, I've always taken the slowest spec in current use.

If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for you.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually, one of my biggest pet peeves is somebody who comes into a meeting having already decided that they want to dump their computer/server/platform/technology/etc. and get something else.

Extra triple pet peevey if they haven't actually mentioned any problems with the system until now.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Ohhh I hate it when that happens.
    "So when are you going to fix my email?"
    "What do you mean? Are you having trouble with it?"
    "I haven't been able to send mail in over a week!"
    /strangle.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    bigwah wrote: »

Make sure you budget for a trusted SSL cert with multiple names for each client access server. It's about $70-90 a year.

I work for DoD so dont need to worry about that, we have our own certification authority jazz.

/strangle.

I get a ton of tickets in like this. Also, best ticket was one where all it said was "Cannot access to email". No customer name(got 850k of them across multiple domains) or anything.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    /strangle.

Yeah, those are annoying.

The ones I'm talking about are more like this:

"We need to talk about buying a new email server."
    "What? Why?"
    "Every time anybody in our department tries to email {emailaddress@domain.com} it never gets there!"

*emails {emailaddress@domain.com}. gets a bounceback for 'user account does not exist'*

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Love those. Also, mailbox is full message. Is it really that hard to read the NDR?

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It just occured to me that I know about programming, software architecture, and software engineering in general (getting my C.S. Masters in a month) but know almost nothing about medium/large scale system administration.

Like, I've heard the words "Active Directory", and I know it's a thing that exists. But what does it do exactly? I assume it's a system for controlling who gets to log into what box, and who gets to print to this printer or that, and what box gets which patch when?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
This discussion has been closed.