As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• QuestEngineQuestEngine Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I searched for a room for 4 guest at the seaport, and it gave me the options of a "Single - 1 bed" or a "Double -1 bed". It says "these room can accommodate your guests". And then on the next screen, it says "Your room can accommodate 2 occupants". What's up with that? Are they counting on me getting rollaways? Are they included since I requested 4 guests? I searched the seaport site and they don't even have anything about rollaways on their site? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

QuestEngine on
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My wife and I will be staying at the Westin, and we're absolutely looking forward to it!

Facelesscog on
  • LordKeegsLordKeegs Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Kinda irked that the registration is already hit so hard at the westin and it's not even linked on the main page yet. I had to book another hotel for sunday night.

LordKeegs on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LordKeegs wrote: »
    Kinda irked that the registration is already hit so hard at the westin and it's not even linked on the main page yet. I had to book another hotel for sunday night.

There were a lot of rooms to start with, but I also believe those companies that get booths at the con got access to the booking a week or so before they were even posted on here, and they probably all booked at the Westin.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • BingarossoBingarosso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My Bachelor Party is rolling through the Westin Waterfront. Thursday Night to Saturday night (We shlep home Sunday after Con is over). We have 4 rooms booked so far. Very excited.

Bingarosso on
    LDN-text-with-logo1.png
  • bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    Man, what a one-sided poll.

I assume this means that the Westin Lobby is going to be taken over by PAX at night? I need people to get my Catan on with.

I <3 Settlers of Catan. Yes.

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I assume this means that the Westin Lobby is going to be taken over by PAX at night? I need people to get my Catan on with.

I sure hope so. It was pretty awesome coming back from the convention last year and dropping into a random Munchkin game in the lobby at midnight or so.

antherem on
  • TheInt3rsectTheInt3rsect Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Booked @ Westin. So PUMPED!

TheInt3rsect on
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »

I sure hope so. It was pretty awesome coming back from the convention last year and dropping into a random Munchkin game in the lobby at midnight or so.

Haha, that sounds awesome. I need to practice up on some of these games, PAX East 2010 was really my first foray into real tabletop gaming.

Angrypasta on
    edited October 2010
    Well Westin is now sold out of room for Thursday night.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Only rooms with 2 beds. Plenty of single beds left.

Also the westin's king bed is fantastic, they use awesome mattresses there :D

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

Only rooms with 2 beds. Plenty of single beds left.

Sorry, true there are still singles left. What about the twins? Do we get the awesome mattress's also, or is it just the Kings?

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The doubles have slightly less awesome mattresses.

Heleor on
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got my room at the Westin Waterfront for friday and saturday night.

MxWood on
  • WaduWadu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One more group at the westin Friday and Saturday.

Wadu on
  • TenturaTentura Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    And here's another who'll be staying at the Westin waterfront!
    BigRed wrote: »

That is great to hear! :mrgreen:

Tentura on
  • mad_typistmad_typist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Absolutely. I plan to bring along a bunch of fun games for late night lobby fun at the Westin. On the packing list so far: Fluxx, Zombie Dice, Pandemic (plus expansion), and maybe a little D&D if people are up for it.

mad_typist on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Seaport Hotel yaaaay

Westin had plenty of single bed options, but nuts to that. It's ONLY 0.2 miles from the convention center, which is completely acceptable. That's like the walk from my apartment to the subway station I use to commute to work.

So, who's gonna host the PAX parties in the Seaport? :D

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Seaport Hotel yaaaay

Westin had plenty of single bed options, but nuts to that. It's ONLY 0.2 miles from the convention center, which is completely acceptable. That's like the walk from my apartment to the subway station I use to commute to work.

So, who's gonna host the PAX parties in the Seaport? :D

Well, you are, obviously. I'll bring snacks?

rnicoll on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    seriously, no Westin singles for that weekend?

edit: this is all waaaay more expensive than I thought it would be. Still, going, but going to have to save up a lot of money :(
    Having to stay 4 nights because check in is 3pm and check out is 12 pm really made this trip twice as expensive.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whew, got my reservation in at the Westin before it sold out. I'll be bringing some games as well. Last year I brought Loopin' Louie and Red November to the lobby of the Sheraton (and my friend brought We Didn't Playtest This and Dominion) and we had a blast with them. I plan on bringing a full suitcase of games (for the train ride and the hotel lobby both).

PuddingSenator on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elbasunu wrote: »

edit: this is all waaaay more expensive than I thought it would be. Still, going, but going to have to save up a lot of money :(
    Having to stay 4 nights because check in is 3pm and check out is 12 pm really made this trip twice as expensive.

There are still Westin Boston Waterfront singles available, it's just the doubles that are sold out for thursday, which most people stay. Also, I can say, as someone that has worked front desk at a 4 star hotel, most hotels will let you check in early if they aren't fully booked the night before and they have clean room open. On that note, most will also hold your luggage for no charge if you wont' be leaving town for a while after checkout, so that might save you an extra night.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »

There are still Westin Boston Waterfront singles available, it's just the doubles that are sold out for thursday, which most people stay. Also, I can say, as someone that has worked front desk at a 4 star hotel, most hotels will let you check in early if they aren't fully booked the night before and they have clean room open. On that note, most will also hold your luggage for no charge if you wont' be leaving town for a while after checkout, so that might save you an extra night.

While Thu. night singles are open, SUN night is not, which is what made me book seaport, before that runs out too.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just booked my buddy and I for Seaport hotel Thursday through through Saturday night, still need to find a hotel for Sunday night but we'll probably go for a holiday inn or something cheap and close to the airport, any suggestions are welcome!

2 out of 4 PAX East achievements unlocked, only BYOC passes and Flights to go!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • hardreturnhardreturn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    booked for the ww 10-14

wish 8-15 or 10-16 was available.

looking forward to it though.

hardreturn on
  • DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We'll be at the InterContinental, getting in on Wednesday and leaving on Monday. Can't believe Westin and Seaport are already sold out :lol:

DMmagic on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Booked a double at the Renaissance; any reason no one seems to be booking there? Three friends and I from another forum are going to be staying. Last year I stayed with a friend who lived a ways away, so I didn't get to experience the hotel culture... hopefully we will comport ourselves well as a community and it will be fun times?

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • RedeyeRedeye Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Pardon me if the question I'm about to ask is a faux pas.
    I've got a quad room booked at the Seaport at the moment. It sounds to me like many of you folks are booking at double occupancy rates. Now I'm no stranger to cons (though this will be my first PAX), so I have to assume many of you intend to put more than just two people in them. Is this 'safe' to do at the Seaport? I ask only because while I can afford the quad rate without issues, many of my prospective roommates may be scared away by what their share would be- this has been a problem for me in the past, and has nearly torpedoed my Otakon plans three years running.

Redeye on
  • KingJaayKingJaay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WB Waterfront I'm IN :winky: looking forward to meeting you guys.

KingJaay on
    edited October 2010
    Redeye wrote: »
    I've got a quad room booked at the Seaport at the moment. It sounds to me like many of you folks are booking at double occupancy rates. Now I'm no stranger to cons (though this will be my first PAX), so I have to assume many of you intend to put more than just two people in them. Is this 'safe' to do at the Seaport? I ask only because while I can afford the quad rate without issues, many of my prospective roommates may be scared away by what their share would be- this has been a problem for me in the past, and has nearly torpedoed my Otakon plans three years running.

It's actually an incredibly common thing to do at cons. Having con experience/hotel employment experience, as long as you don't flaunt your extra people/keep low key, it's extremely unlikely to be a problem. The front desk has a helluva lot more to worry about than you putting extra people into a room.

Onmitsu on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    Redeye wrote: »

It's actually an incredibly common thing to do at cons. Having con experience/hotel employment experience, as long as you don't flaunt your extra people/keep low key, it's extremely unlikely to be a problem. The front desk has a helluva lot more to worry about than you putting extra people into a room.

Would there be any risks if you where to call the hotel and, in an annonymous fashion, just ask about how many guests you can have in a given room? If you know that you will be fine then you will sleep better at night.

Personally speaking: I'm upfront about my plans whenever I book a hotel room and I've often booked just one room for a small group of people without having any issues. Usually I don't hear anything as long as we are 5 guests or less. However I think there are two rules to this... What follows is what I've assumed over the years and it could all be nonense...

1- It depends on the size of the room: They may refuse a certain number of guests per room based on Fire Hazard Safety rules, which any hotel will follow very strictly. I would not try to cram 6 friends in a small room that is designed for a single guest.

2- It depends on the hotel policy. Having extra guests is a common thing, but at most they may charge you extra if you have more people. I've only had to pay a charge once and it was minimal.

But in the end, only the hotel staff can give you the straight answer to all these questions.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Tokyoeyez1670Tokyoeyez1670 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know if Seaport Hotel offers some type of roll away bed?:P

Tokyoeyez1670 on
  • SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Since it seems the Westin Boston Waterfront is booked and I don't really want to hop hotels, is the Seaport Hotel a nice place?

Snipethewolf on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wrote an "insane" wall of text explaining how one could tweak / maximize his booking arrangements but decided to skip through all of it and just provide what people will only want to hear - how to save money once they found the hotel they really want.

Start with the Hotel Registration Page. Your choice may already be listed there and the prices are very interesting. Bonus points for shuttle services, though I have little idea what that does yet.

Check with your credit card company and see if you have any programs that can net you a discount on a hotel. You may have something within your reach and not be aware of it - this happens quite often as many banking and credit institutions provide multiple free services but don't always advertise them. Give them a call even if you are not sure you actually have a program of this sort. Really, you never know.

Most hotels have discounts for AAA (or CAA) members too. If you have a card, check it out.

Little known fact, large hotel chains have pre-arranged discounts with big companies, including some that you may be working for. If you happen to work for a large firm you will want to do a spot check with your HR department, they'll tell you if it's both possible and ok (it's usually an accepted perk to book a hotel as a member of the said company so don't be worried about asking). My friend and I happen to work for known corporations, whenever we book a hotel for a con we get to shop who has the best advantage all the while having the blessings of our employers. I've seen rebates go well over 75%. You will need to show credentials so don't try to fool the staff.

Almost every hotel has a best price policy. Put this to your advantage by finding a better rate through a travel search engine (google the term) and see if the hotel your interested in can match it. There are certain limitations though, usually they must be able to find the same deal without having to jump through many hoops. Auction sites or anything that requires you to log onto the web site does not work. Feel free to help the booking agent or clerk and explain the steps you went through to find the rate.

Pro tip:
    Aside from the large corporation employee rebate, the price matching method has always given me the best possible deal there was. I've seen hotels drop their prices for me by the hundreds of dollars. If they do refuse, you have the option of booking your stay through the third party web site, but I personally don't like these. For one, there will be a service charge that will quickly eat away your savings, and two, I've heard just enough horror stories to make me stay away of even the better companies. Just like booking a stay at any given hotel, these systems are at your own risk. I do not suggest using them.

Finally you should do yourself a service and check out if there are any Guest Houses nearby. These small businesses can only cater to a few guests at a time, as they usually have less than 10 total rooms to their name. These places tend to concentrate on charm and personalized services, and don't worry as it's not always about providing a luxurious romantic getaway, you can easily find simple yet cozy spots for a sleepover. The catch is that they don't have the same range of services you may expect from large hotels. Think of them as small family own and operated businesses. Don't expect 24 hour room services (in fact, there may be none at all). The same warning goes for WiFi connections, cable TV and so on. In fact, you will most probably have to check in or out within business hours - this is something you will have to be careful with if you are not sure when you'll be arriving in Boston! In case you're wondering, yes, you can come and go at any hour once you've checked in, it's just the paper work that has to be done while a clerk is available. I'm mentioning Guest Houses because they can often be booked for great prices and provide very personal service.

Personal Note:
    Last year it felt like we stumbled upon one of the best kept secrets of PAX East 2010 when we booked ourselves at the Copley Inn. It was well hidden for sure, but virtually across the street from the Hynes and it was only 120$ a night... and our room had a kitchen with a full fridge and everything. At that price I did not care if I could not haggle my way through a better rate. The place was incredibly nice for the price we paid. They even had umbrellas for everyone at the door in case it would rain. I was very sad when I learned that the con would move somewhere else as I expected to use this as my secret weapon. However it is also close to the Green line and within decent driving and cab distance. I gave it some serious thought but in the end, I booked myself at a place where I could also come back by foot, just in case.

If I may suggest the following:
    If you really want to save money, do yourself a favor and map out all the hotels that you find which are within your budget. Then do reverse lookups, such as mapping out the easiest routes for the public transportation system, or calculating what a cab fare will cost for a given area. In other words, try finding combinations of arrangements based on your travel plans (are you going to use your car? Can you go on foot?). There are many ways to save a lot of money.

After doing a good deal of searching, I found my own sweet spot: The corner of Otis and Summer street. I found a good deal of affordable hotels in the immediate area, it's within walking distance, cab fare is just descent (about 7$ with tip according to the calculator), there's a bus stop that gets to and from the convention in a straight line and taking the car doesn't seem to be too complicated. Bonus point, it's surrounded by nice shops, restaurants and looks a bit "toursity".

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Since it seems the Westin Boston Waterfront is booked and I don't really want to hop hotels, is the Seaport Hotel a nice place?

Yes its still nice. Most people are booking at the westin waterfront cause its attached to the convention center.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On the third party website thing, the worst problem I always hear is that a hotel might refuse to honor the rate given. If you're on a tight budget it's the biggest deal to be incredibly leery about.

It's not a tumor on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know if a rollaway is an option for 2-bed rooms at the Westin Waterfront? We have 3 people coming and would prefer not to double up.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a rollaway is an option for 2-bed rooms at the Westin Waterfront? We have 3 people coming and would prefer not to double up.
    Assuming there is physical space for a roll-away, you're almost certain to get a cot if you ask. For a nice hotel, that's a basic expectation.

Onmitsu on
  • ShadowWolf9ShadowWolf9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What a horrible, horrible idea it was to wait for the hotel registration to pop up. I'll remember this for next year :/

ShadowWolf9 on
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My Roomshare's gonna be at the InterContinental. Hoping to see more PAXers there... seems pretty dominant in favor of the Westin so far. haha.

ottoman673 on
    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel