As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here are two groundwizards going at it in training for 8minutes

Jake Shields vs Ben Askren

For those who don't know, Ben Askren is an Olympian wrestling medalist who recently got into MMA and Jake Shields was a very dominant champion in Strikeforce before he got signed to the UFC. He'll be having his UFC debut soon against Martin Kampmann (and if he wins, you'll be seeing him against GSP really soon)

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/359735-shields-ask

If you're into grappling, watch this. Shields is doing really well for himself and they get into some awesome scrambles

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    How did Alex Caceres go from "likable happy go lucky kid" to "immature brat" within the course of one episode. Sevak needs to win his fight so the two can face each other.

Anyways, good on Nam Phan for winning his fight. I'm surprised he wasn't one of the first picks, considering his experience. He's a quality fighter.

A record of 16-7 (I think, something like that) shows he has lots of experience, but thats a poor win-loss ratio and a high number of losses period.

I don't think he'll get too far. I liked that he was agressive... or at least looking agressive. He was moving forward, and putting on pressure, which is good. But, once he saw his opponent was hurt, he should have pressed the action more. Instead, his style seemed to be to throw one or two strikes, then back away. It seemed like he was backing away before the final strike even landed. I thought he lost power for that reason, and more importantly he backed away regardless of what had happened. He landed a great body shot in the 2nd that seemed to hurt Page. Several other good shots as well. Instead of following up, he was already backing away, giving Page time to recover. He also seemed to have a much better ground game, and so should have been willing to clinch with Page against the cage, especially after one of those combos landed. That kimura was mighty tight in the 1st round, after all.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't forget to pick up your RANDY COUTURE/FEDOR EMELIANENKO SLURPEE CUPS at 7-Eleven.

ea20mma20cup.jpg

They're 3-D lenticular!
    In other news, Playboy's latest issue was released today and features Arianny Celeste. Not that anyone here cares about that or anything.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh man did 7-11 have to share their slurpee recipe with m-1 global for that

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Nope, because apparently M-1 Global is actually easy to work with, unlike a certain disreputable Dana White.

You can also earn Slurpee Points to buy EA MMA at slurpee.com. You earn 1pt for small, 2pt for med, 3pt for large, 4pt for XL and 5pt for promo cups. They're available on the following dates with limited availability.

October 21: EA Sports MMA Video Game (X360) - 50 points
    October 26: EA Sports MMA PS3 Game - 50 points
    October 30: EA Sports MMA PS3 Game - 50 points

• Options
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Don't forget to pick up your RANDY COUTURE/FEDOR EMELIANENKO SLURPEE CUPS at 7-Eleven.

ea20mma20cup.jpg

They're 3-D lenticular!
    In other news, Playboy's latest issue was released today and features Arianny Celeste. Not that anyone here cares about that or anything.

On the Sherdog forums I requested a PM of the leaked pics and got their equivalent of jailed for it.

It was worth it.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Nope, because apparently M-1 Global is actually easy to work with, unlike a certain disreputable Dana White.

Well I'm sure they're a lot easier to work with, but that's mostly because they have 2 fighters. Fedor Emelianenko and Karl Amoussou.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Here are two groundwizards going at it in training for 8minutes

Jake Shields vs Ben Askren

For those who don't know, Ben Askren is an Olympian wrestling medalist who recently got into MMA and Jake Shields was a very dominant champion in Strikeforce before he got signed to the UFC. He'll be having his UFC debut soon against Martin Kampmann (and if he wins, you'll be seeing him against GSP really soon)

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/359735-shields-ask

If you're into grappling, watch this. Shields is doing really well for himself and they get into some awesome scrambles

Spectacular find. I think people sometimes peg Jake as just a BJJ guy and forget that his wrestling is pretty good, too. I mean, he's certainly not an Olympic-caliber wrestler like Askren, but he tapped him out twice and made Askren work for everything. Shields is right about him, though. He's an Olympic wrestler and also has a purple belt in Jiu-Jitsu. Once he gets to black (or even brown) and gets some more work on his hands, he's going to be a frightening individual for anyone to lock horns with. I've enjoyed watching him in Bellator and I'm pretty sure he's taking Lyman Good's belt next Thursday.

It was funny that Shields called him "a freak" about 4 times in a row, though. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I didn't know what to expect from that video based on the thumbnail, but...

:^:

adytum on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last call for PAFCR2. Picks close in 14 hours.

adytum on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kampmann beats Shields, you heard it here first. People always forget how slick that dude is on the ground, and Shields is a joke standing up. If he somehow manages to get through Kampmann, I don't have any idea what he could offer GSP in terms of a challenge. Or Koscheck, for that matter.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I didn't know what to expect from that video based on the thumbnail, but...

:^:

Second.

That video was pretty funny. Well done.

@B:L Wait so if you buy 10 slurpie cups they will give you a copy of EA MMA?

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    @B:L Wait so if you buy 10 slurpie cups they will give you a copy of EA MMA?
    Yes, but you'll have to act quick as supplies are limited. Today's deal was the new Medal of Honor for PC, at 30 points, and it's now sold out.

To clarify: redeeming your points while the game is still in stock will net you a EA store code. The EA store code will let you buy the game for free with free shipping on the EA store website.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd just like to apologize, Michael Bisping is going to be fighting in one day, but I haven't posted this yet:

bisping-redcoat.jpg

There, much better.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And yet he now earns more than old man Hendo in the bush leagues.

:lol:

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

If anyone wants these pictures PM me :winky:

Kampmann beats Shields, you heard it here first. People always forget how slick that dude is on the ground, and Shields is a joke standing up. If he somehow manages to get through Kampmann, I don't have any idea what he could offer GSP in terms of a challenge. Or Koscheck, for that matter.

Honestly, I thought Hendo would walk through Shields as well, and it ended up with Shields completely dominating Hendo instead. From now on I will not underestimate Shields ever again

In other news:
    During a Q&A session with UFC Fight Club members at the Earls Court Exhibition Centre in London, UFC president Dana White said Aldo has expressed interest in moving up to the lightweight division.

"From what I'm hearing, Aldo's interested in testing himself," White said.

The UFC president did not present a timeline for a possible move other than to say it could happen "very soon."

But change appears to be in the air. In addition to his comments about Aldo, White said the UFC could borrow some of its sister promotion's top-tier lightweight talent. (The weight class remains the only one used by both the UFC and WEC.) Asked about the possibility of seeing WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson in the UFC octagon, the executive said it is in the works.
    Aldo may not be the only WEC fighter making a transition to the UFC at 155 pounds either. While he didn’t come right out and say it, White also hinted that the rest of the WEC lightweights might be under consideration for a move from Zuffa's sister organization to the Octagon.

"We're working on a lot of things right now we'll be announcing in the next couple of months," White commented.

Currently, WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson is about to defend his belt against top contender Anthony Pettis in December. The WEC has long been working on a plan to develop a 125-pound flyweight division, and if that coincides with what White is talking about, it could mean the lightweights making the move to the UFC.

White admits that he's intrigued to see the potential match-ups between the best at 155 pounds in the WEC and the best at 155 pounds in the UFC. That could mean a wholesale move or even cross-promotional bouts.

"There's some interesting fights with those guys, so we're working on putting those together," White said.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Potentially a huge influx of new talent to the LW division. Sister organization, so not like PRIDE where there's so much trouble with contracts. What should this mean?

Light Weight Tournament! It would be awesome! Especially good since we have something of an unlikely champ at the moment, this would be even better if Edgar loses, best still if he's injured* and an interim belt has to be brought in.

*Not saying it would be a good thing for any fighter to get injured, just convenient for a tournament style match up leading to the LW belt.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh. 125lb flyweights? It would be like watching two 10 year olds fight.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-HmX2NnmY

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Awesome match... really interesting seeing a generation younger than most MMA fighters cross-training in multiple disciplines and fighting using all of those skills. Both guys had some wrestling skill, solid strikes, and a decent ground-game both in wrestling and grappling.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bah I only picked winners for 120, forgot to round/finish.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    And yet he now earns more than old man Hendo in the bush leagues.

:lol:

Well, Hendo's Apache* heritage didn't open the reservation markets like Bisping did for the British market.

*Place holder native American heritage name

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No UFC for me tonight, but Europsport is showing some Russian Muay Thai thing. I expect brutality.

Edit: Haha, the final is a Belarus fighter against a Thai. Belarus has a mega cut, but the ref wont stop the fight, just keeps getting the doc to pour vaseline onto the Belarus fighter's forehead. His entire forehead is a pink goo now.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-HmX2NnmY

If there was blood or any sign of serious injury between the opponents at that age, I think I would be turned off of the value of MMA as a worth while physical and mental endeavour. I would hope they fight under a set of rules that makes sure the fights are stopped by refs quicker than when it is between two grown people. Ugh, like I don't know about you guys but I hate watching wrestling videos between probably around 15 and younger where one of them has a break or flopping knockout from a take down. It doesn't seem to matter to me at that point if a doctor is nearby or not ... yet I remember getting bloody as a kid in fights and it not bothering me a bit, becoming a parent changed something I think... Were those kids wearing cups and mouth guards? I am think head gear might even be a good idea, kid with even a minor concussion *shudder*

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I like the idea of kids training MMA, but for competition they should have cuddly rules. I think they should either have head gear and not allow chokes or not allow contact to the head and allow chokes.

If you're wearing head gear you can't really slip out of chokes at all and it becomes so much easier to choke someone out. And since the fighter's face will be covered more, communication with the ref is harder.

Also: Fucking Bas Rutten is the concierge at an MMA and K-1 event in Amsterdam, and I am watching! Yes!

Edit: The hooks! The liver shots!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    10 minutes to show start, I'm looking forward to seeing hardy not tap out to excruciating subs! It makes a nice change to be able to watch a show live rather than record it.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Louie wrote: »
    10 minutes to show start, I'm looking forward to seeing hardy not tap out to excruciating subs! It makes a nice change to be able to watch a show live rather than record it.
    Wait what?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    is there any way to watch this live in america? i figure maybe there will be legal streams since it's not ppv

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Wait what?

it's in england

we're seeing it tonight with a 5 hour tape delay

Organichu on
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    UK time.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I will refrain from posting then, didn't know you guys were not getting it live

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Wait what?

it's in england

we're seeing it tonight with a 5 hour tape delay
    Ugh. 8 hours from now for me. Guess I'll stay out of the thread.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How has Bisping been doing since he came in? I haven't seen him since he was on Ultimate Fighter...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I will refrain from posting then, didn't know you guys were not getting it live

i don't have any willpower anyway, if i can't find a stream i'll be reading play by play

Organichu on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    re: 120/james mcsweeney
    looking at the results so far, i'm glad to see james mcsweeny lose again (looks like he gassed and then had stoppage due to strikes which is even more hilarious), hopefully we won't see his name near another pro fight again

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ugh I will say that people should not take small kids to ufc, god dammit britain.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah if possible can you spoiler your 120 results guys, you don't have to but it won't be shown in America until 8pm EST.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    hotlunchhotlunch regular
    edited October 2010
    We are not allowed to post stream links in the thread are we?

hotlunch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    even though it's not paid material i would go on the safe side and say no

Organichu on