As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House of Flying DOODLES (Occasionally NSFW)

• u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Natri wrote: »
    http://www.maj.com/gallery/crasp/Artwork/caricature3.jpg

I'm trying my hand at caricature drawing again. Think I've improved a bit, still need a lot of practice though, but I had fun doing this.

How do you like it?

edit: my apologies for the cut-off part, badly scanned.

I'm fairly certain I know the lady on the right.

Nice work. Why didn't you draw her hair?

ps3draftzs0.jpg
    This happens every time. I paint the large areas just fine, get frustrated when I come to the details, and block it in using my regular coloring technique. And then I realize that it looks better that way anywho. Bah. Bah, I say.

u63r on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Need to start getting more meat and potatoes and less candy and popcorn in my art diet. Painting from photo ref, had to use the grid method on the face (OMG I IS A CHEATER) to get even kind of close.

I fucking suck at drawing women, I should probably try to get in the habit of doing ref paintings until I fucking suck less.

NSFW

refgirl1.jpg

EDIT: not taking my own good advice, learned nothing except bomb disposal unit pants really look stupid.
    bomberpants.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Use the tags.  That said, were you going for a Disney look?

u63r on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Need to start getting more meat and potatoes and less candy and popcorn in my art diet. Painting from photo ref, had to use the grid method on the face (OMG I IS A CHEATER) to get even kind of close.

I fucking suck at drawing women, I should probably try to get in the habit of doing ref paintings until I fucking suck less.

there's nothing wrong with using the grid to get things right, but it doesn't teach much though. Are you making sure to draw shapes? It's easier to get a face (or anything) if you just loosen up and draw the shapes. Don't see it as a face, see it as a bunch of shapes. Also, you probably already know drawing from pictures takes out a lot of the challenge because it's already flat. You aren't creating an illusion anymore, just copying one. BUT, sometimes you have no choice cause no many people will pose nude for free.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    u63r wrote: »
    Use the tags.  That said, were you going for a Disney look?

I'm pretty sure that he linked them because they're pretty fucking big. I'd not want him to use image tags on those.

Grifter on
  • BraverBraver Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    PA is evil: first they make me play more games, then they make me buy a wacom tablet, and then all remaining free is sucked into making doodles... then again, I guess it could be worse.

Anyway, one of my first sketches in Paint.NET using my new Wacom:
    2006-120.jpg

ok...I cheated by putting some initial lines on top of a photograph :P 90% of it is genuinely hand-made though! It's just that it takes ages to get the lines right if you're notused to tablets (traditionally speaking, I'm a charcoal and pastel man).

Braver on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't cheat. Cheating is bad... and doesn't help you develop smooth lines.

That said, more pencilwork from the pencil camp:
    stump.jpg
    belltower.jpg

and the old one: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/church.jpg (just in case).

Mayday on
  • BraverBraver Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    Don't cheat. Cheating is bad... and doesn't help you develop smooth lines.

so true. also went much faster and better immediately when I took out the photo layer. I guess that's the seduction of the digital age...

great pencils by the way. trees are an endless source of inspiration: each one is different :)

Braver on
  • EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mayday - Very nice pencil work, though I feel you could push the values further.
    --
    still pushin through, got tired on the boobs. I will work on them some more later.

subtlety.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    thought I'd straddle that speedpainting bandwagon

NSFW

blah.jpg

roughly 15-20 minutes, i had fun doing it. I just kept making layers, and I dont really know why. I never really erased anything.

Greatnation on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Frank: looking good. But her head is sticking out way too far and is also kinda big. Fix those things and you totally got it.

nation: Pretty nice little speed paint. Reminds me of okami for some reason. Also, that pose looks a little painful.

yourimpossibledream2.jpg
    another conceptart CHOW. Doing it early this time. PostApoc Ice Age scavenger.

wakkawa on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ehmavisca wrote: »
    Mayday - Very nice pencil work, though I feel you could push the values further.
    --
    still pushin through, got tired on the boobs. I will work on them some more later.

subtlety.jp

lots better. Her right breast feels a lot larger than the left though. I still like it though

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Judas wrote: »
    classyparty.jpg

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes, and ships, and sealing-wax;
    Of cabbages and kings,
    And why the sea is boiling hot;
    And whether pigs have wings."

Right click -> Save As

Godfather on
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bacon: the face on the reff'd painting is amazing. (in a good way)

Wakka: awesome as usual, what's conceptart CHOW?

and some more practice from me:
    wardrobe_malfunction.jpg

Ravenshadow on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Bacon: the face on the reff'd painting is amazing. (in a good way)

Don't get too excited, with the grid method the only real test of is of one's patience. Luckily, that's just what I was after, something to counteract my usual... whatever it is I do.

PS: Those are some uh...road cone-esqe breasts on that girl there.

More ref girlies, no grid cheatering this time.

refgirl2.jpg

And one not from ref, I call it "What if...the Joker was a Middle-Aged Geisha?"
    geisha.jpg

It actually progressed from being a rather buth white woman to a japanese high-school prettyboy bully to this. What the hell.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    whoops

clam.png

Knob on
    edited May 2007
    Knob! What the hell's up with BT.N!!?1

Mayday on
    edited May 2007

wait hold on

Knob on
    edited May 2007

nothin'

Knob on
    edited May 2007
    exactly! not even a good update!

Mayday on
  • misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    POK, use the IMG tags instead of links, makes it easier

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I approve of how many boobies were on the last page.

Virum on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Behold! Pennywise fanart!!

Penny.jpg

Buckwolfe on
    edited May 2007
    nice sketch bucky.
    --

my chow wip:
    chow_scavenger.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    his legs are mismatched in length. I understand the stance, but it's being exaggerated.

NightDragon on
    edited May 2007
    Thanks, I will fix it.

Ehmavisca on
  • RedPearlRedPearl Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    More ref girlies, no grid cheatering this time.

refgirl2.jpg

Is that Veronica Zemanova? Looks good.

RedPearl on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dickery around in a class when I was bored:

May.16.07-stencilwomens.jpg

The anatomy isn't too hot, but this is the kind of thing that happens when I start scribbling around - i try to develop negative shapes as I see them emerging.

I also did some hand drawing but they were boring.

Virum on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    What the fuck I thought this was the chat thread!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2007
    thought I'ld participate in the CHOW thing, only I don't intend on posting it over at conceptart ('cause I'm so far outta their league it's embarassing). But it sounded like a fun thing to do.

Rough sketch (extremely rough, very early stage) for a World War Z survivor.
    chow_72.jpg

Ravenshadow on
    edited May 2007
    That looks cool so far Raven, you should definetly post it there. Don't puss out!

edit:
    update, starting colors now:
    chow_scavenger_2.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Raven, very nifty looking so far!

schetsboek1.jpg
    schetsboek2.jpg

A sketch out of my brand new sketchbook, prolly going to ink the lady.

Ehma: that guy's neck looks to be too long imo.

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    :^: Raven.

I scribbled this today, and sort of like it, compositionally. I wouldn't mind finishing it but something looks fundamentally fucked (I mean besides scribbliness and lack of shadow); one of you can probably spot it instantly and save me hours of polishing a turd. <3

overdue_goodbye.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The girl seems to have insanely long legs (or at least one of them), and imo it would be alot (and I mean alot) cooler if you lose the manga-face on her.

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Manga-face was accidental (and looking at this smaller version her eyelids just read as part of huge-ass shojo eyes, worsening the situation) and I agree it's appalling. Nice catch; good as gone.

I think you're right about the legs. The stylized-ness kind of got in my way diagnostically.

Thanks. :D

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No probs ;-)

Also to be nitpicky, there's something wrong with her left index finger. If you look at the finger in 3 links, the one connecting to the knuckle being the third, either she's bending the first link without bending the second, which is impossible (unless you have hyper mobile joints) or the third link/piece of finger is simply too long, compared to the other fingers, and you ignored the second link - if you look at it, it seems as if the finger consists of two and not three links.

I hope I make sense, hehe :S (If I don't, I could draw it out)

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
    edited May 2007
    Frank, the metal detector is awesome.

nat, definitely ink the girl. On her left leg the calf area is a bit wierd (I think the meaty part of the calf is just a tad too low), but the shirt and her face are awesome.

Squid, I don't mind the faces so much (at all actually). What's distracting me is the big guys thin, tiny little legs. Beef 'em up and you're good to go.

Ravenshadow on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I need your help, guys. I just can't nail one panel in my comic. It's suppose to be this teenage guy with a shotgun being on guard and pointing his shotgun at the guy laying on the ground who also has a gun in his hand. I wanted the PoV to be sort of from the guy laying on the ground looking up and still have both characters in the shot. I don't care if the perspective is correct or twisted to accommodate both characters, but as of right now I cannot make it work.

I guess what I'm asking for is would somebody please do a quick draw over so I can have an idea?

dumbpanel.jpg

TheBog on
This discussion has been closed.