As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kirby's Epic Yarn - more yarn than you can shake a wiimote at

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is great.

There aren't that many titles released in a year that are made to appeal to more than just teenage to mid twenties guys with girl issues, so this is a nice breath of fresh air. People complaining about the lack of difficulty are missing the point; this isn't a game that's intended to challenge hardcore platformer enthusiasts (there are only, what, about 432972492 games released every year for that demographic's enjoyment?) - it's a game for younger gamers and (gasp!) older gamers, for whom challenge tends to be more a barrier than an asset.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    simulacrum wrote: »
    Mitten wrote: »
    Giant Bomb juxtaposes adorable Kirby gameplay with horrifying, guttural grunting noises:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-kirbys-epic-yarn/17-3374/
    I spent that entire video squealing along with them.

It's...so...happy...

Even the death tank is happy...

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not excited one bit about this game.

I'm a liar.

It also helps that I bought games from a local gamestore, then flipped it to gamestop. I've paid roughly 17 dollars to have enough trade credit to fully pay off my Kirby preorder.

I can't remember the last game I bought on release day. I'm almost positive I haven't bought a game on release day. I love how Prince Fluff looks like NoA's outlet for Angry Kirby.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kirby is over 3 gigabytes, compared to New Super Mario Bros' less than 300 megabytes. Graphics, yo.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Kirby is over 3 gigabytes, compared to New Super Mario Bros' less than 300 megabytes.

What? What the hell does this have to do with anything?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Too bad I don't play Wii stuff anymore cause this game looks fantastic.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • MattnyxMattnyx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's stoping you?

Mattnyx on
    edited October 2010
    Mattnyx wrote: »
    What's stoping you?

I just don't really play Wii much anymore since I got a PSP. About the only game I played regularly before then was Sin and Punishment 2 which I plan finishing before I get any other Wii game.

Plus the 50 dollar retail price is a bit much for me. If I had known about this game earlier I might have reserved it but God of War: Ghost of Sparta took that slot.

wirehead26 on
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    simulacrum wrote: »
    Giant Bomb juxtaposes adorable Kirby gameplay with horrifying, guttural grunting noises:

I spent that entire video squealing along with them.

Yep. That quicklook completely sold me on the game.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a little mad those guys get paid playing that. That doesn't sound like a job at all!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited October 2010
    Kirby is over 3 gigabytes, compared to New Super Mario Bros' less than 300 megabytes.

Uh, an interesting thing about the game? Just a curiosity. Surprised me.

Chill out. Not every post has to enrich the hell out of your life.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Giant Bomb's review is up

Guess what score they gave it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is this supposed to be on sale in stores today, or is it one of those "shipped today, sold tomorrow" things?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I need to buy a Wii.

Diarmuid on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kirby is over 3 gigabytes, compared to New Super Mario Bros' less than 300 megabytes. Graphics, yo.

Huh interesting, I didn't know NSMBWii was that small (I should use common sense more).

Rotam on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to get this for my sister since she has a Wii. Then I am going to visit her all the time and play this game. That quick look may be the best thing ever.

Ceno on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is this supposed to be on sale in stores today, or is it one of those "shipped today, sold tomorrow" things?
    It should be in stores today. I went to Gamestop last night and paid my copy off and they said I could pick it up today.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, this game looks much better than I had expected. Kirby and DCK Wii will make my holiday season.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sweet Jesus I need a Wii

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Welp, off to Gamestop to pick up my pre-order.

Probably won't play it right away as my fiance is sick.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus I need a Wii

And I need to stay playing my Wii again, my PSP has taken up most of my time. Still need to play through Sin and Punishment 2, and all those Wii Shop games I downloaded and have since ignored.

AND there's Sonic Colors coming out next month which looks fantastic.

wirehead26 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Uh, an interesting thing about the game? Just a curiosity. Surprised me.

Chill out. Not every post has to enrich the hell out of your life.

No I just had this feeling you were going to bring up some lame "Why was Mario retail again? It should have been WiiWare!" argument or something that was always brought up when someone mentioned the file size of a Wii game.

Or that it it's not worth $50 for only 300 megabytes.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A wizard has turned you into Yarn!

Is this awesome?
    Y/N

Also, it seems Player 2 Kirby is more hardcore.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yo that's Prince Fluff

He don't mess

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yo that's Prince Fluff

He don't mess

This was originally his game.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited October 2010

It's going to be another "ignorant store employee insisting it comes out on Tuesday and they can't sell it till then, because all games come out on Tuesdays" thing.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just picked up my copy at Best Buy.

vamen on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I packed up my Wii in a suitcase because I'm moving to Korea in 12 days but I bought this today so now I have to unpack and then pack again later.... The instruction booklet is certainly charming.

Taya on
    edited October 2010
    This game is the definition of amazing.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Joystiq's review is up, and I'll post my favorite part:
    Honestly, the lack of difficulty didn't bother me. I spent around 10 lovely hours exploring the intricately detailed, painfully cute Patch Land in co-op, and came away feeling, well, lovely. Kirby's Epic Yarn makes a convincing case for the idea that we don't have to be challenged every single time we play a video game. Occasionally, it's enough to be happy.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/15/kirbys-epic-yarn-review/
    kirby was always pretty much "my first awesome plattformer", and it's pretty perfect at that.

edit: meaning, low difficulty is kind of part of the series, and if you fault it for that.. well, have you played any other kirby game before?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just got home with my copy.

This game is so cute it's criminal

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh god those video reviews! so many puns! and so cute! :D

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nobody told me Tom Nook was in this game!!

Two-player is fun but it has the same problem as multiplayer NSMB Wii in that no matter how good the other player is, you're always bumping into each other and accidentally killing each other.

Taya on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So this game is a lot of fun so far. Reviews were right that it's pretty easy, but it's fun enough that that's ok.

I'm not sure what to think about the story. The presentation is almost insultingly juvenile. I suppose maybe that's what they were going for. Not that the story in a Kirby game has ever mattered, but it feels weird when I suddenly feel like I'm playing "Little Bear: the Game" or something during these story bits :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The music in the Cold Cave level is fantastic.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • silentsaturnsilentsaturn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am getting this tomorrow and I am ridiculously excited. The cute, I can't take it! Every time I look at a video of this I want to touch all the textures. :D

silentsaturn on
    katamari_princewalk.gifkatamari_ballrolling.gifMarioYoshiPixel.gif
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So this game is a lot of fun so far. Reviews were right that it's pretty easy, but it's fun enough that that's ok.

I'm not sure what to think about the story. The presentation is almost insultingly juvenile. I suppose maybe that's what they were going for. Not that the story in a Kirby game has ever mattered, but it feels weird when I suddenly feel like I'm playing "Little Bear: the Game" or something during these story bits :P

I think Morgan Freeman should've been the narrator. You can almost hear it.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I think Morgan Freeman should've been the narrator. You can almost hear it.

Amazingly I think that would have made it ridiculously good :P I think it's the narrator's voice that annoys me the most. It just screams "narrator from cartoon for 3 year olds"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Morgan Freeman should narrate everything

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2010
    Now that we've crossed the line,

<xkcd comic snip>

Nevermind. Kirby thread shall have no mentions of genitalia. It is too pure a thread.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]