As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT: Of supercities and flammable hobbits. RAPTURE video in 2nd post.

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
logo.gif
Thanks to Kris_xK for the original OP.

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Do you like lego? Would you like to play with it again? Then you need to Minecraft.

Minecraft is a game about squares.

In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.

But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?

Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.

Where do I play the game?
It's browser based, but there is an offline client you can download.

If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser | Downloadable Client.

If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer | Browser Multiplayer | CPColin's Client | WoM Client
Note: This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does.

Is it free?
Yes and no. Right now Minecraft is in alpha, creative is free and survival is pay-only. It is highly recommended you buy it now, instead of when it goes into beta as the price will double. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin.

Current Price:€9.95 | $14.30 | £8.00
Pre-Purchase Here

Videos:
Includes How-To and Beginner videos!

Useful Shit:

Programs & Utilities
Isometric Live Map Preview - Use this for your survival worlds.
NBT Forge - A map editor for Survival.
OMEN - A map editor for Creative
Isocraft - A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.
Cartograph - Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.

Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular ones.
SMP's Texture Pack
Tahel's Texture Pack
Cheap Shot's Texture Pack
Brown & Bloom Texture Pack
Painterly Pack
Dokus' RPG Texture Pack
None of these interest you? Try browsing this list. Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.
Dírhael wrote: »
The rather excellent HD texture fix would be a valuable addition to the OP. Being able to play with larger textures, and still have animated water & fire is quite enjoyable.

Want to see what the look like? Cog made a handy picture guide!
Cognisseur wrote: »
Attention New Players!

In case you're interested in changing your Texture Pack, but don't know what to go with?

I loaded a few of the Texture Packs from the OP and took screenshots of the same location on Zetx's server (which hopefully demonstrates some texture variety) using each one. (Tahel's Pack link didn't load, and I didn't know what to do with Cheap Shot's .png file)

Default Texture Pack:
SqOYP.png

SMP's Texture Pack:
Gefc0.png

Brown & Bloom's Texture Pack:
BmFgx.png

Painterly Pack:
B6WHZ.png

All 4 Packs Side-by-Side Comparison:
P7ScY.png

Don't know how to install these? Read this.

Skins
[URL="url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=54216"]Java Skin Editor[/URL]
Skinning Tutorial, Supplementary Skin by VALVEjunkie
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

Links
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
The Dev Blog - Notch's dev blog., Posts a lot of updates and info here.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - Just don't fucking do it. The community is fucking retarded. Already.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game.
SA Minecraft Wiki - Another wiki, this one run by Something Awful Goons. Lots of in jokes and not as comprehensive.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic.
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

STEAM GROUP
Clicky!
Ask in Steam chat to be added.
I [EIN] AM NOT INVOLVED WITH THE STEAM GROUP. PLEASE DON'T BE ALL UP IN MY INBOX WITH REQUESTS TO BE ADDED TO IT.

PUBLIC PA Servers

Diannaochong.dyndns.org
Updates and rules for this server can be found here.

SulSeeker.dyndns.org

For others ask in Steam Group chat

IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LISTS, PM ME, I DONT GIVE A SHIT HOW MANY TIMES YOU POST IT.

I Just bought this game and I have no idea what shit is going on!
Don't worry, avid Minecraft fans FIGURED OUT A WAY TO PUT VIDEOS AND PICTURES ON THE INTERNET

HOLY SHIT

BASICS
GRASS
Grassguidesniper2.png

REDSTONE

Ein on

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ein's Build Server

This server is set aside for Penny Arcade use. Accordingly, the IP to the server is private, so we don't get people trolling the forums, finding an IP, and coming in just to grief or blow shit up. You can PM me to get it, or for a more timely response you can obtain it from the Steam group.

PUBLIC MIRROR SERVER IP:
    WORLDFAIR.DYNDNS.ORG

This is a server that is intended for visitors. It is a version of the main build server that is updated every 48 hours, or as I am able to do so. If you just want to explore our stuff, this is the place to do it.

CARTOGRAPHER RENDERS OF OUR MAP
    Updated overhead map as of Oct 8, 2010.

colrap_render_022.jpg

And a full size isometric render:

http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/colrap_render_023.jpg

AVAILABLE USER COMMANDS:

/warp <destination>: This was implemented because there is a lot of stuff built all over the place, and the number one question people would always ask is "Where is _____?", usually followed by "I'm lost :(".
    The current destination options are: HOME, RAPTURE, COLUMBIA, DOME, EMBER, LAVALAND, DESERT, ARCTIC. The Dome is located within Rapture; first-time visitors are encouraged to use the Rapture point to enter via the lighthouse for the full effect.

/sethome: Similar to how warp functions, it allows you to set your own personal waypoint that you can reach by typing /home. You will land within 2-3 blocks of where you are when you set the point.

/kit: Simple item kits that will furnish you with a variety of things. Because I believe that you should have to work to acquire basic items, the only kit that is widely available right now is /kit tools, which will provide you with a shovel, mining pick, axe, and a stack of torches.

/playerlist: Allows you to see a list of all of the players who are currently online.

/compass: Shows you your current heading (as of when you typed the command).

/motd: Will simply repeat the Message of the Day in the chat log for you.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q: How do I type?
    A: Push T to open the text input line.

Q: Where is it alright for me to mine/build?
    A: The default spawn, and location of /warp home, is FREEBUILD ISLAND. Hopefully you can infer from the name that it is totally fine to put what you want there, as long as you don't interfere with or destroy someone else's construction. To the EAST of that, at /warp ember, is EMBER, our MINING SITE. Dig away here, so that we preserve the beauty of our other locations! Do not build in the area above Rapture and not in the valley below Columbia. This is so that Rapture remains mostly unobstructed for awesome views, and so that keeps it's iconic fields below.

Q: How far out can I go?
    A: Look at the map above. Around it, we've placed a border that is nothing but a sheer drop straight down onto bedrock. You will know when you see it - it's pretty much a straight drop down about 60 blocks on most parts of the map, has bedrock at the bottom, and is a sheer line carved through the terrain all the way up. DO NOT CROSS THIS LINE. If you do, you cause the server to start generating more random terrain, which lags us and increases filesizes, both of which are bad things. Warnings or bans will be distributed to those who are found crossing/building across the line.

Q: Can I add to Columbia / Rapture?
    A: Definitely! See below for general style guides as to how we build our stuff, so yours is cohesive. Also, try to be sensible about where you start building - we usually have areas set aside for new expansion, particularly on Columbia. Alternatively, there is a jobs board in both Rapture and Columbia where people who are working on things can put posts up for help or assistance in whatever they are constructing.

Q: Why are some people's names colored?
    A: This has to do with their user rank. Red is Administrator; Blue is Moderator. Mods are able to help you with any problem you might be having!

Q: Who are the current mods?
    A: d4gjerick, tinywindturbines, cilantr0, mouserecoil, sinter, rockfish, xzar89, deshadowc, rodgerick, alethiometer

Q: Can I have <item>?
    A: In general, my policy is not to spawn items that are readily available. Rapture and Columbia are being built entirely by hand, and I don't want to ruin how special that is. I will make exceptions for certain things - for example, I have no problem spawning lava or water sources for people, because they tend to be incorporated into awesome visual things. However, if you just want a stack of glass for that neat thing you're building in Rapture... get a shovel, and start hauling some sand.

Q: It lags really badly every now and then!
    A: That's not a question. But, I have a backup script running taking images of the server's state every 30 minutes. When it does that, it tends to lag. This takes about 1 minute. After that, everything resumes as normal! Trust me, you'll be glad we have them if we ever need them.

Q: What do I do if I really want to set fire to things, or flood things?
    A: Go to another server! I have full logs now, and I can backtrack to see who is starting fires all willy-nilly. I also have no compunction about banning people who grief.

SO WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO AWESOME?
    I would strongly recommend viewing these at 720p on youtube, so they look less awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNxcxnKYPOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDjDV_Q_RI4
    That's why!

A HELPFUL GUIDE TO LIFE IN COLUMBIA:

Columbia is our flying steampunk victorian city! It is based on the game Bioshock: Infinite BIOSHOCK INFINITE, which is not out yet. However, the trailers for the game have impressed us, and given us a great sense for what might be fun to build in a flying city.

/Warp columbia will take you to the zeppelin flying overhead, from which you can make a rapid descent into the receiving pool.

Columbia is a city built upon a series of connected, independently flying platforms. On the underside of most platforms you will find turbines, suspended in rings by fenceposts. From the underneath and sides you will usually find balloons being used to help 'support' the 'weight'.
    mc_col011.jpg
    mc_col012.jpg

The visual style for a lot of the buildings we've picked out is basic cobblestone with half-steps being used as trim:
    mc_col014.jpg

We use greenery around the trims to simulate ivy and generally look nice. You can do this by growing a tree in the spot you want the stuff to be in, and chopping the trunk down from underneath until you have a floating log and leaves. Then add the half-blocks, etc. in a frame around it. Leaves have to be proximate to a log in order to prevent them from despawning! Alternatively, a moderator should be able to help you set this up. Cilantr0 has been decorating most of our buildings in the american flag motif, which is appropriate for the city, so I'd say let him continue to do that. :)

Helpful reference material for those building Columbia:
    col_ref001.jpg

col_ref002.jpg

col_ref003.jpg

col_ref004.jpg

col_ref005.jpg

Columbia-Image-1.jpg

Columbia-Image-2.jpg

Roses-1.jpg

bioshock-infinite-sky-line.jpg

Ultimately, we don't want to limit your creativity. The problem we ran into with Rapture, though, is that by allowing everyone to build whatever they want, wherever they want, the place rapidly turns into a maze. To that end, we're collectively trying to approach Columbia in a bit more of an orderly fashion. Try and build buildings with a purpose - i.e., restaurants, bars, residences, etc.

A HELPFUL GUIDE TO LIFE IN RAPTURE:

Rapture is our kickass underwater city, based on Bioshock 1 and 2 BIOSHOCK 1 and 2. We're not trying to duplicate the city from the game - we're putting our own spin on things as we go. You can reach it with /warp rapture, which will take you to the Lighthouse, our surface entrance to the city.

Rapture's very much an organic process. We just started building, and it sort've grew and grew and suddenly turned into quite a little maze. We briefly drained it and reorganized our structures shortly after into what you see now. What you need to know is that The Dome is near the heart of things, and you can reach it with /warp dome. First-time visitors are not recommended to use this - come in through the lighthouse.

On the floor of the dome, you'll find compass directions inset with obsidian. These are how we usually navigate - so when someone says "North of the Dome", you'll know what the hell they're talking about.

Key to our reorganization in the city is the Rapture Metro. We did away with a lot of the walkways that cluttered up the superstructure of rapture, and traded it in for... well, more walkways, really. To be totally accurate, what we've done is we've set up huge transit systems that don't work yet. They're designed for when minecart systems DO work in future, so that we can have a sort of 'train' system between major areas. There's 4 tracks, designated A through D, that each touch pretty much every building in Rapture. For now, they're also doubling as footpaths until we have working minecarts.

As a general building style guide, we use a lot of glass and cobblestone down in Rapture. We try to put cobblestone in the corners and frames of things that we're building, so that glass structures look like they have some sort of support. Spend a minute walking around down there and you'll very quickly catch on to the style!

The rules for effective building in Rapture are simple:
    • Tie your building into the metro. This doesn't mean that every broom closet, etc. needs to be attached directly to the metro line, because then the metro will take forever to get from A to B. The way we're trying to set it up now is that the metro 'stops' are large buildings (typically seascrapers) from which other smaller buildings are accessible via walkway.
    • Don't build shit all out of glass. We're at the bottom of the ocean, and we've been adding cobblestone 'reinforcements' to the glass to play along with that. Plus, most structures look like hell if you make them primarily out of glass. It should be a detail, not the body of things.
    • Don't build too close to the Lighthouse or Bathysphere ride. It detracts from Rapture's entrance.

Underwater building's a little tedious, but also way easier than most people make it out to be. The basic method is simply to build the framework of the building underwater, then wall it up - ceiling, walls, floors. Then you have to fill the interior and dig it back out again to displace water. The easiest materials to do this with are typically sand or gravel, since they 'fall' due to gravity and can quickly fill a space. You can also do the torch trick (where you knock out the bottom block of a column of sand or gravel, and then very quickly deploy a torch in the space where it was) to make all of the above blocks fall on the torch and deconstruct themselves.
    WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

The map is littered with cool shit (and the occasional superdong) people just up and built out in the middle of nowhere. Like, I can't even tell you, so a handful of pictures are in order.
    CK7.jpg
    Screen01.JPG
    Screen05.JPG
    Screen09.JPG
    Screen14.JPG
    Screen15.JPG

Ein on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want to see whoever it was that was gonna make Serenity...make Serenity.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New thread smells like creeper.

Working on a minecart system in my single player game, but I'm having trouble finding iron. Stupid RNG.

Houn on
  • tdewey10tdewey10 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quick not for the OP: Due to decline in the $. As of yesterday it was around $14.30 US to E9.95.

Edit: To be perfectly clear - because someone will post 'noooooes it is $14.00 to E9.95' The exchange rate the banks and investors deal with, are not the rates you and I using paypal and CCs deal with. It was $14.30 when I bought a 2nd copy of MC on Thursday. That is the exchange rate my CC company charged me for the E9.95.

tdewey10 on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been playing single player more recently too. I haven't messed with minecarts at all though. I feel like making the tracks requires way too much.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tdewey10 wrote: »
    Quick not for the OP: Due to decline in the $. As of yesterday it was around $14.30 US to E9.95.

Still a good $15-20 less than it's actually worth :)

gjaustin on
    edited October 2010
    It's 6 iron a and 1 stick for a stack of 16 tracks. Which is honestly pretty good, I've just been struggling to find Iron in this world. All I have done is branch mine with stone picks at the base of the world. I have more redstone than I can shake a stick at, and a fine stack of gold, but iron and diamond are rare.

I just finished the main loop of track. Need more iron to start building boosters next; going down to my mine is easy, but I'd like to ride back up, too.

Houn on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, I didn't know you got 16 from that. I guess that's not so bad then.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish more people worked with the natural landscape more on ein's server, rather than build weird upside down pyramids and shit.

wakkawa on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is what I am doing on my current single player project. Working reductively instead of building.

Also, can I get an invite to the steam group. Steam name is 'Forbe!'

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The rather excellent HD texture fix would be a valuable addition to the OP. Being able to play with larger textures, and still have animated water & fire is quite enjoyable.

Dírhael on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New thread, eh? Better start digging my hole...

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    It's 6 iron a and 1 stick for a stack of 16 tracks. Which is honestly pretty good, I've just been struggling to find Iron in this world. All I have done is branch mine with stone picks at the base of the world. I have more redstone than I can shake a stick at, and a fine stack of gold, but iron and diamond are rare.

I just finished the main loop of track. Need more iron to start building boosters next; going down to my mine is easy, but I'd like to ride back up, too.

If you don't feel like messing around with boosters like me, you can install the autocart mod and be lazy like me.

I should redo my system and plan it out, its really messy and inefficient right now :/

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Been playing for a few weeks and I'm hopelessly addicted. Anyway can someone give me an invite to the steam group? My id is in my signature. Or is it? I think i'm just stupid but it isn't showing up so here it is : Steam: D347

mbannick on
  • sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    New thread, eh? Better start digging my hole...

sgt rob on
    Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I starting playing on the Skyland Map linked in the last thread. Some guys have these floating sky islands and dungeons and what not. The first night I take to the Rustic Sky Island. I find a place that has 8 diamond pieces in it. I make a Diamond sword (playing it on single player Hard mode) And get jumped by a spider and a creeper. Next day I head to the Ascension Woods. I find a place with apples and later in the day head towards another of these item cabins. Now I haven't been collecting material like wood, iron, coal, ect. and when the night comes, I dig a hole, hid out there and used a wood piece and light it with a firestater kit you get in the beginning. The next day I find the Ascension Woods are now the Ascension Burning Plains as I've set the whole place on fire.

samurai6966 on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone have a link to that super in depth mining thread on the official forums?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I wish more people worked with the natural landscape more on ein's server, rather than build weird upside down pyramids and shit.

Have you seen Las Casitas? Or do you mean like make beautiful rivers and blue mountains?

Satsumomo on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Enterprise maker, all up ins :)

halkun on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I sent Ein a bunch of screen shots to update his server post. Hopefully soon we'll have non extremely outdated pictures.

DeShadowC on
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New block type with scary faces? Yes please.

Estilo on
  • KapsLockedKapsLocked Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm realizing that I'm too impatient to make huge things (like Chichen Itza) or whatever. But I have found that playing around with minecarts and now, TNT is major fun. Brings strip mining to a whole new level.

KapsLocked on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    New thread Sssssssssssmellsssssssss like creeper.

pabh on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can someone PM me the server IP? I seem to have lost it.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Edward FapEdward Fap Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    COME CHECK OUT MAH FLOAT CRIB YAL

Edward Fap on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to that super in depth mining thread on the official forums?

Yo.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28299

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    I've been playing single player more recently too. I haven't messed with minecarts at all though. I feel like making the tracks requires way too much.

I've been getting DEEP into SP again, I stopped trying to build big impressive structures and went into full survivor mode. I branch mined till I got enough diamond for a diamond helmet, trousers and boots (iron breastplate), along with a diamond sword and a few diamond picks and a butt load of arrows.

I cleared out massive underground caverns, many a beast fell before my might. I finally got to see slimes, I found one of each type of dungeon and set up feather and arrow factories from the zombie and skeleton ones. I also finally found a record.....it turned out to be pretty lame, the music runs out after a while.

minecarts are the one thing I need to do, I only have about three stacks of iron but I didn't know that you got 16 stacks of track either. That will be tonights playtime covered though and I'll have truly conquered minecraft.....until the update.

atat23 on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want to see whoever it was that was gonna make Serenity...make Serenity.

I spent about an hour last night laying a perimeter. 82x52 is freaking huge, and I have to go in and both level some mountains and fill in some holes. I'll try to make regular progress reports - hell, I'll have to, to get advice on various sections.

With the TIE Defender and the Starfury, I have models. This is not the case for Serenity, and it'll make this much harder.

Tamin on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    So I spent some time on Ein's server yesterday and... you guys are awesome. That isometric image in the OP doesn't do it justice.

I'd be interested in seeing how many calculated man-hours it took you all to build everything in there.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HELP!!!!

I was playing SP, when the power went out.

The game wasn't even saving, yet when I come back my world 1 shows up as "Empty"

I load up that world and it loads up a new terrain, I shouldn't have done that because now it has overwritten my game. HELPPPP ARGHHH! It went out JUST AS I WAS MINING DIAMOND. I had found a huge vein, probably 8 blocks of diamond.

Edit: Ok it spawned me like 10 blocks from original spawn, my world is there, however walking towards my castle, I am suddenly stuck in place, I can't move at all.

I already have a backup of this save.

Edit 2: If I delete game.dat and old, I can move again, but I simply end up getting stuck again. Am I fucked?

Satsumomo on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So what's the consensus on server software? Other than plain vanilla alpha, what's the reigning champ? (Also, what server is running on Ein's?)

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can someone PM me the IP for Ein's server? I don't have a steam id, so I can't join the group.

Edit: Got it, thanks.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So what's the consensus on server software? Other than plain vanilla alpha, what's the reigning champ? (Also, what server is running on Ein's?)

More importantly, are server crashes a regular occurrence for those of you running your own servers?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    There. Ghetto minecart line, works both up and down for quick access in and out of my mine, using boosters and redstone.

It could be much better, but for a first try, I'm just happy it works at all.

Houn on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so can i get an invite into the steam group and whatnot? steam id

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited October 2010
    RBach wrote: »

More importantly, are server crashes a regular occurrence for those of you running your own servers?

Okay!

The servers that I run use primarily Hey0's mod. It is incredibly versatile and has a subcommunity of dudes who just write plugins to increase its functionality. I also use a piece or two of Llamacraft to disable TNT and fire.

That alone will get you 90% of the way to having decent server software.

As far as server crashes are concerned - the server doesn't crash, really. I've crashed it once by trying to edit about a million or so blocks from ingame via WorldEdit, and its bluescreened once, but full-blown server crashes are not and should not be a frequent occurrence. That said, I do restart the servers regularly, because after being online long enough you start to get memory leaks.

Ein on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My interest in playing Minecraft has waned somewhat in comparison to how much I was playing this when I first got it since Notch announced the Halloween Update, which meant there wouldn't be secret friday updates to the Alpha. Not saying this is a bad thing, just something I have noticed in my own behaviour, I really enjoy updates, its like new territory to explore with hidden treasures to be found. Doesn't change that what there is right now to do is a ton of fun, just looking forward to things killing my miner in multiplayer and then I find myself playing other games in the mean time to pass the time till the update rolls out.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the Friday updates kept me more engaged with the game. I keep hoping he'll do one anyway.

Ein on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Yeah, the Friday updates kept me more engaged with the game. I keep hoping he'll do one anyway.

Agreed.
    wakkawa wrote: »

Maybe this is what I've been missing. Instead of trying to build perfectly symmetrical cathedral-palaces, maybe I could just pick a section of the world that is interesting and build around what's already there...

Delzhand on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    thats what i always do in my singleplayer games. ill start off with a simple shack near a decent mine to build up some stores, then go explore until i find a really awesome natural area to build in. I really love finding cliffs that form a more or less right angle and then digging out a sweet balcony and interior.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
This discussion has been closed.