As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DM's art stuff

DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hello everyone, been lurking in this forum for awhile checking out all the awesome artists here, and thought I'd post some of my own stuff.
I'll just keep updating the OP with new stuff as I go for awhile.

Remnants (added 10/18/10)
remnants_by_harabic-d30zqub.png

Stuff from the original posting:
In no particular order:
(Pics are in spoiler tags since they are rather big)

Designed this as sort of my 'personal powered armor' since I'm a dork like that. Done purely in PS.
panzermecha_final_colored_by_harabic-d2ysvn3.jpg

Random gunship concept, inspired heavily by the republic gunships from StarWars. Lineart in pencil, painted in PS.
Gunship_Concept_by_Harabic.jpg

One of my first digital paintings, one of the few environments I've done - need to do more, was fun.
The_Perfect_Spot_by_Harabic.jpg

These are just random practice pieces, one of which inspired the armor suit above and ended up my forum avatar.
Painting_Practice__8_12_10_by_Harabic.jpg

Painting_Practice__8_7_2010_by_Harabic.jpg

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
DarkMecha on

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Welcome to the world of Posting, Lurker! :)

I was surprised when you said the first image was done purely in PS. It's clear you've got a good eye for ambient lighting. The metallic textures and highlights are pretty well-done, too. I'd suggest that next time, though, you use a lighter background, and not use just black for your shadows, and just white for your highlights. You can achieve more depth of color and a wider color range by doing this, and the lighter background will make the entire image look nicer.

The 2D ship design needs a lot of work with the perspective - it's hard to figure out what the ship is supposed to look like as a 3D object.

NightDragon on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the feed back, appreciated it. Color variance , esp with highlights and shadows, is something I'll really be trying to work on more. Not entirely sure I agree with the perspective being really off on the gunship, but I'd agree it could be improved upon.

Thanks again for checkin' my stuff out!

DarkMecha on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bumping the thread up since I added more art to the OP. (if this is not cool, someone let me know and I'll not do it)

DarkMecha on