As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Arcania Gothic 4 and it's better than Forgotten Gods

• l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EdS25 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see reviews. I'm already on board, but I will be looking for info on whether the game is fundamentally broken in any way, and maybe a little bit about what it might do to keep things interesting throughout.

There are tons of videos on Youtube detailing a major flaw in combat; magic users tend to shoot magic at the same place they're facing when they start casting the spell.

So if you move slightly to the side at any point between the time they start casting and the time they release the spell, you will not be hit. Fighting a mage in this is pathetic.

l337CrappyJack on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It will be interesting to see reviews. I'm already on board, but I will be looking for info on whether the game is fundamentally broken in any way, and maybe a little bit about what it might do to keep things interesting throughout.

There are tons of videos on Youtube detailing a major flaw in combat; magic users tend to shoot magic at the same place they're facing when they start casting the spell.

So if you move slightly to the side at any point between the time they start casting and the time they release the spell, you will not be hit. Fighting a mage in this is pathetic.

I noticed that in the demo. I can see how that would be an issue in the long run as far as difficulty, etc. But at the time I was kinda happy to be able to dodge out of the way and not get hit anyway because the dice roll said so. (Or have the fireball I just dodged circle around and hit me in the back). Since there were two mages to keep track of, and then three or four in the next room, it was exciting enough at the time.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Except, later on when the spells get more powerful, they effect the "area" of impact which a simple move slightly to the left or right, will not cut it. Not to mention the more powerful mages have magic barriers covering them so it will be more than just a stick smacking to beat them. Plus, in the spirit of things, most mages have to stand still to cast. Isn't that what makes a Battlemage so awesome?

As far as PC requirements, you don't need a powerful rig. I am running with a 9800GT card so you don't anything super powerful.

Syrionus on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, I don't know what's up with the demo vs. my video card. The game runs smoothly on medium-high graphics settings, but the characters' heads pop off while they're talking and the main character's hair texture sticks and tears as he runs around. Plus, half of the models are stuck in "crucifiction" poses. Turning the graphics settings down to low gets rid of the first two problems by making the characters models fail to animate entirely and everyone including the main character being stuck in crucifiction mode. Made sure to update to the latest ATI drivers, no dice, but I don't see anybody else complaining about the problem, so it must not be common. It's obnoxious enough that I can't force myself to play through the demo, and definitely don't want to risk spending money on the game in case the problem is still there. :(

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, I don't know what's up with the demo vs. my video card. The game runs smoothly on medium-high graphics settings, but the characters' heads pop off while they're talking and the main character's hair texture sticks and tears as he runs around. Plus, half of the models are stuck in "crucifiction" poses. Turning the graphics settings down to low gets rid of the first two problems by making the characters models fail to animate entirely and everyone including the main character being stuck in crucifiction mode. Made sure to update to the latest ATI drivers, no dice, but I don't see anybody else complaining about the problem, so it must not be common. It's obnoxious enough that I can't force myself to play through the demo, and definitely don't want to risk spending money on the game in case the problem is still there. :(

I have had nothing but problems with ATI cards. I had a laptop with an ATI mobile card that they never updated the drivers to fix a problem that all of them had.

Syrionus on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game is now out (although not in NA until the 19th) and I figured I'd post some impressions from the full game.

I'm only about seven hours in and while I'm enjoying it, there are a few things holding it back in comparison to the other games in the series or style (Risen). If you've played the demo, you probably already know what's good about the game - graphics, combat, and the interface. They've made a very pretty world with some great special effects, particularly with rain, water, and the lighting system. It does have a bubble LoD system, however, but this isn't too distracting save for how it affects the NPC animations at a distance. I am enjoying the combat much more than its predecessors, although there is a downside to the combat which I will discuss later. There are no stun-locks here. Rolling out of the way of arrows, bashing them in the face with a shield or weapon to interrupt their power attacks, and executing multiple flurries on multiple enemies is just fun. And as far as the interface, I've found it to be fairly well designed and attractive, although there are a few things it's missing (comparing new items to the ones you already have equipped, for instance).

As far as middling to bad, I'll start with the leveling system. Some may like the change, others may not. I don't mind it, but it's not nearly as expansive as the past games. And in the past games, leveling up also had a story element to it. If you wanted to gain new spells, you had to join one of several magic factions, and that had a connection to the main plot. It's not so in Gothic 4.

When you level up, you get three skill points to spend, and there are no trainers you need to seek out to upgrade your character. Instead, you spend your points down linear paths which either increase your stats by 1% for each point spent or give you a new ability.

Image of the skill screen:
    lR4pj.jpg

Mettle, Discipline, and Vigor paths are melee oriented. These increase health, stamina, melee attack power, and health and stamina regeneration. The abilities you unlock include a shield bash, a power attack, flurries (with improved versions of them that let you do more than one consecutive flurry), and the ability to executive continuous attacks without needing to rest between sets of light strikes. Precision deals with bows and crossbows. Here you'll gain an increase to your ranged power and three abilities give you a zoom, smoother aiming, and increased head damage.

The next path, Stealth, isn't as exciting as you may think. I'm going to tie this one to another complaint about the game - burglary. Specifically, it's not a crime to sneak into someone's home and break into their chests and steal everything they own. No one in the game world cares if you go into their homes and rob them blind. It's basically like playing a Japanese RPG in this respect.

And so the Stealth path doesn't offer anything interesting like lockpicking (you'll get an infinite use lockpick early in the game for use with chests) or picking pockets. It merely allows you to sneak up on enemies to get the jump on them earlier than usual. The second and last ability in this path gives you a 200% bonus to damage if you attack them while you're sneaking. That may sound great, but combat and the game is so easy you're better of just charging them. While you can't get stun-locked, you can certainly do that to your enemies. It's also incredibly easy to dodge their power attacks, as it takes them a long time to charge and you get a visual notice when they're about to do this, so you can either move out of the way or interrupt their attack.

The game's difficulty is also trivialized with how many consumables you'll find and pick up or craft along the way. You will never, ever be without a means to heal yourself. I have so many meat stews, health potions, and bandages I don't know what to do with them. I haven't even been going out of my way to collect or craft them and yet my inventory is full with them.

Speaking of the inventory, there are no weight or space limitations. You have an unlimited amount of space. Some may like this, but others may not.

The last three skill paths are magic oriented. You only have three types of magic attacks you can learn - fire, lightning, and frost. As you go down their paths, you'll get upgraded forms of them. You won't have multiple types of fire attacks. Instead, your typical fireball or lightning blast will just increase in strength.

This once again brings me to the main complaint about the leveling system - no trainers with no connection to the main plot. If you want new spells, you simply spend your points on a menu instead of joining a faction and climbing through their ranks. Joining the Paladin-like faction in Risen and going through what is effectively a school, gaining the favor of the professors, solving mysteries within its halls, and climbing the ranks of the order was fun and exciting.

Thus far, there's been none of that here, with very few factions to interact and join at all. I was presented with several warring factions in the very beginning of Risen. I have yet to see or be given that choice in Gothic 4. It's been a very linear ride.

And that's the biggest problem with Gothic 4 - its linearity. This may change as I continue to progress through the game, but seven hours in and it's clear that this shares very little with past Gothic games or Risen. I've already mentioned how linearity has reared its head in terms of the leveling and almost non-existent faction system, but it also applies to the game world itself.

While the world appears very large on the map, it's actually cordoned off into small and easily traversed sections with little to discover. The road to the next area is blocked by bandits. And then you need to get a pass to continue to the next area. And so forth and so forth. As far as side quests go, all of them are fetch quests and each area only contains a small number of them, as well. There's just not that much to explore or find or do outside of the main quest. Many of the hidden treasures or caves are areas you'll actually come to as part of the main quest or a side quest, too. All of this makes the game feel small and restricting.

Image of the map:
    OHq9H.jpg

I hope this changes as I continue on. According to the map, there's still a lot to go. But thus far Arcania Gothic 4 is no Gothic game. It has none of the charm or expansiveness of those past titles. Gothic 4 is a game that has been linear in almost all regards, from choice, dialog, leveling and exploration. That said, I'm still finding it fun, but if you go in expecting the same kind of quality or features of the past games you'll be sorely disappointed.

Edit: A few other things I may as well mention. The voice acting is indeed not very good, although the main character is much better than everyone else by far. The cities and the game world in general don't seem very busy, and you won't be seeing NPCs go about any interesting daily routines. They pretty much just stand in place.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The voice actor for the witch enjoys her role enormously. It's brilliantly cheesy. :D

I'm enjoying this just as much as Risen thus far (haven't played any of the other Gothic games), although I had to drop down to medium whereas Risen ran very well on high.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Seems like this was made for Nvidia GPU's. I haven't had a single issue yet.

Zilla360 on
    edited October 2010
    I've played a little more and the place I'm in is bigger than the map image I posted above. However, there's still very little to find and it doesn't take that long to traverse each section or area. There was a hidden chest in the middle section and one in the lower section, not counting the ones you can break open from people's homes. There was also a cave, although it seems fairly extensive so I'm wondering if I'll have to go there as part of the main quest.

Image of the updated map, encompassing all of Area 3:
    Q2N5V.jpg

As I said, I'm enjoying the game, but so far it's just not nearly as expansive as previous Gothic games or Risen. It's been fairly linear with little incentive to really explore, as there's not much to find.

Dashui on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks very much for all of the impressions Dashui, been a good read so far. I was interested in this game, now I'm a little more on the fence. How's the combat holding up?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited October 2010
    brynstar wrote: »
    Thanks very much for all of the impressions Dashui, been a good read so far. I was interested in this game, now I'm a little more on the fence. How's the combat holding up?

The combat is one of the more redeeming qualities of the game. It's actually quite smooth and fun. I haven't really tried much magic, though their special effects are neat. But your prowess in combat does make it a bit of an easy game. You can easily dodge every attack and interrupt any heavy strikes, and you'll quickly gain a mountain of healing consumables. You won't fear for your life at any point.

A little update on the main quest - it's one gigantic fetch quest thus far. It's not even masked that well. For about eight hours now I've literally just retrieved items or people so that I can move on to the next area.

In my current quest, I need to find someone. The way forward is blocked by a gate, and the gate keeper won't open it unless I get him booze. I go to the person who has the booze. This person wants me to find another person. And then that person wants me to find an item. I go to the person who has the item, who then directs me to a cave. The entire game has been like this, and every single side-quest (the few that there are) is like this, too.

This, coupled with the fact that the areas aren't very expansive with little to do or find in them, and with little to no choice in factions or dialog or quest resolutions (mostly the latter; it's very linear), just makes me want to play Risen instead. But I'm still fairly early in the game so I'm going to plow on and hope it branches out more.

I do want to reiterate that I don't think this is a bad game. It's just not a very good Gothic game. It's largely a linear, fantasy hack-and-slash game with fun combat. If you go in with that expectation, you should have some fun. If you go in expecting a new Gothic or Risen-like game, you'll be disappointed.

Dashui on
    edited October 2010
    I enjoyed the combat in the demo even though it was significantly easier than your average Gothic combat. It seems like I'd never have a classic "I wandered into a weird place and then things went horribly awry" moment that I love about these types of RPGs.

The fetch quest stuff sounds pretty boilerplate. Hmmm.

brynstar on
    edited October 2010
    It seems like I'd never have a classic "I wandered into a weird place and then things went horribly awry" moment that I love about these types of RPGs.

I've been exploring each area before I continue with any quests, and thus far nearly every single cave or strange building I've come across I've also visited as part of the main quest or a side quest. I have occasionally found hidden chests and weapons behind rocks or on beaches, but there are so few of these. Funnily enough, I had to go to that beach where I found the chests as part of the main quest. Naturally I had to retrieve an item someone lost.

There has been very little wandering and discovering to be had in the hours that I've experienced. The main and side quests will hold your hand and show you pretty much every corner of the game world.

There are hidden collectibles, however, and they're very well hidden. This slipped my mind before because I haven't really been focusing on finding them. If you collect 30 of the item asked, you're given a reward. One asks for Innos statues, which are lying around, and another asks for shard pieces, which you find in graves. It's like finding the birds in Grand Theft Auto IV. The most effort in hidden treasures and locations seems to have been spent here.

On a separate subject, I've got to say again how weird it is that NPCs just don't care if you barge into their homes and rob them blind. If you get the full game, feel free to steal anything and everything.

Dashui on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I do want to reiterate that I don't think this is a bad game. It's just not a very good Gothic game. It's largely a linear, fantasy hack-and-slash game with fun combat. If you go in with that expectation, you should have some fun. If you go in expecting a new Gothic or Risen-like game, you'll be disappointed.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I'll take a pass on this game.

DrunkMc on
    edited October 2010
    Glad to hear that there are at least some collectibles. That's funny about stealing things also, I don't usually try out those mechanics so it'd be kind of fun for me I imagine.

Looks like the game is on Steam in the US now!

brynstar on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are there still very well hidden permanent stat boost plants to pick?

I played the demo briefly, but the skill screen made me close it and never pick it back up (not very gothic-like, even risen got it more right)

I loved one thing above all else in gothic 1 - 3/risen, and that was spelunking around some incredibly well designed terrain puzzle, to be rewarded eventually for my curiosity by 1 - 4 permanent stat plants, finding some kings sorrel or dragonroot hidden was really fun for me, and it sounds kinda like gothic 4 moved away from the hoover exploration.

I'm very glad to hear there is no weight limit.

reddeath on
    edited October 2010
    reddeath wrote:
    Are there still very well hidden permanent stat boost plants to pick?

I played the demo briefly, but the skill screen made me close it and never pick it back up (not very gothic-like, even risen got it more right)

I loved one thing above all else in gothic 1 - 3/risen, and that was spelunking around some incredibly well designed terrain puzzle, to be rewarded eventually for my curiosity by 1 - 4 permanent stat plants, finding some kings sorrel or dragonroot hidden was really fun for me, and it sounds kinda like gothic 4 moved away from the hoover exploration.

I'm very glad to hear there is no weight limit.

There are no items that you can find with different statistics and then eat for either health or attribute bonuses. Everything is an alchemical ingredient instead of a consumable item. You have to either buy, find, or be rewarded with scrolls that offer you new crafting formulas.

Image of the inventory screen with one such item selected:
    U8oaJ.jpg

Image of the crafting screen:
    lxob8.jpg

And now two random images of the swamp location, because everyone loves pictures:
    wHlzt.jpg

2Yqi2.jpg

You'll have to excuse the lack of AA, as the game doesn't have an option for it, as well as JPEG compression. I suppose I could force AA, though.

The set pieces can be pretty impressive in this game, although most of those I've only seen off in the distance. The first three areas have been fairly visually uninteresting, but off in the distance you can see wondrous cities and castles and spires and hopefully it won't be too long before I can get to them. As mentioned before, though, the game world isn't very open or expansive. I can't climb up the vast mountain chains or head off toward that strange ice formation in the distance. I'm forced into easily traversed sections with the next area blocked until I complete a number quests.

I'll post a new image of the full map once I've explored area four, which shouldn't take too long. To go from one end of an area to the next really only takes a few minutes.

And speaking of quests, my first one in area four is indeed another fetch quest. I just arrive in the swamplands and the NPC that greets me informs me that if I wish to enter the city, I have to collect six eggs for him. At least the swamplands are pretty.

I should also mention the teleportation system (I should also just write a full review at this point). In Gothic 3 and Risen, you would find stones which allowed you to instantly teleport back to the particular location you found them in. These are gone in Gothic 4 and are replaced with stone platforms spread across the map. Standing on one will activate it, but it will not bring up any kind of menu where you can select which platform you'd like to teleport to. They are only linked to the last one used. This can be frustrating if for any reason you wish to head back to earlier parts of the game - new quests or perhaps a scroll you didn't have money for the first time.

Dashui on
    edited October 2010
    Screens look good Dashui! I am kind of surprised at how many fetch quests the game has. Have you had any interesting dialog choices at all?

EDIT: Also, thanks for answering all of the questions. This has been very informative!

brynstar on
    edited October 2010
    Screens look good Dashui! I am kind of surprised at how many fetch quests the game has. Have you had any interesting dialog choices at all?

EDIT: Also, thanks for answering all of the questions. This has been very informative!

There are no branching dialog choices. You will have multiple choices, generally just two at any given time, but they won't have any kind of affect on the outcome of a conversation. One option will be story related and will move the quest forward, and this will be marked green. The others are simply questions you can ask such as, "What can you tell me about Silverlake?"

Nine hours in and there have also been no factions to join or multiple ways to handle various quests. It has been, with the exception of two quests, completely linear. I'm worried this won't change much, either, as the game sets a fairly clear villain for the main character very early in the game. The island you're on is at war with Myrtana, and unless Spellbound pulls the cliche that Myrtana is actually the lesser evil against a greater threat, our hero will continue his quest to undermine and defeat their king.

Dashui on
    edited October 2010
    So glad I finally got a helmet:
    uglyhero.jpg
    potatoe.jpg
    Not even a grandmother could love that face. :P

Dialogue system isn't all that good, no real branching. Worse than Risen's. And oh man are the developers ever fans of Fedex quests. It's starting to get irritating.

Zilla360 on
    edited October 2010
    I find it funny that if you do any exploring at all, which is easy because the maps aren't that extensive, you will probably find all the items you need for side quests before you even accept them. Most of these are fetch quests, after all. I basically just completed two of them in the swamplands by collecting cobwebs and a golden bag when exploring, so when I do accept those quests, I'll be turning them in immediately. This has come up a few times before.

"Please kill the field raiders on my farm!"
    "I already did on my way here! Reward, please!"

"I'd like you to go find my grandson!"
    "Oh, you mean that guy? Yeah, I already found him."

"I need you to find an item I lost!"
    "This? I found it in a cave earlier. Here you go!"

You may as well not do any exploring, because these quests just guide you to the majority, if not all, of these places anyway, something I mentioned previously. And since there are so few side quests per area, I've probably just pre-completed about 75% of them in the swamps.

With all my complaining, I do have to mention again that I am having fun. The combat is enjoyable and slick, if not incredibly easy. But this is not a Gothic game. The only characteristics it shares with its predecessors are the title and the setting.

Dashui on
    edited October 2010
    Well, I just bought the one and only 360 copy of this from my local game shop. I know it's not going to be as good as the PC version, having played both demos, but having read all the impressions I decided I was still ready to enjoy a light fantasy romp for some achievements. Plus, I wish more games of this sort came to consoles, even in not-as-good form.

I really wonder if they should have called this "A Gothic Tale" after all, instead of Gothic 4.

EDIT: Also, aside from the decent logo, the cover art for this game is absolutely horrific. It's not going to sell them any copies. Like Risen, the back is just a bunch of text.

brynstar on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Will this game play on a system without an ATI card? Seems silly to ask but I couldn't get the demo to run because it couldn't find phsyx on my system.

I have an 8800 GTS I could use as a physx card, but I would probably have to hack or patch it to get it to work.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited October 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Will this game play on a system without an ATI card? Seems silly to ask but I couldn't get the demo to run because it couldn't find phsyx on my system.

I have an 8800 GTS I could use as a physx card, but I would probably have to hack or patch it to get it to work.

I believe it will, you just need to have the Physx drivers installed to get it to run, even if you don't have a Physx card.

brynstar on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So just noticed this is on Steam, with 3 2 and 1 as well. Since I've never played any of the Gothic games (although I did try Risen, and got pretty far before ye olde HDD failure), is it worth picking up?

KiTA on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's Gothic in name only. It's really hard to say.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited October 2010
    I've played this for about 8 hours now, and I'm having a great time with it. The combat is fun and fluid, and I'm really enjoying the graphics, in particular the lighting, even in spite of the framerate issues on the 360. The combat feels like a much better execution of the Fable II combat concepts, to me.

Yes it's not as open-ended as the other Gothic games, but as Dashui was saying, this is still a solidly fun more linear-style RPG.

brynstar on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I didn't enjoy the demo at all. Game starts with me being a shepherd and someone asking me to prove myself worthy of marrying his trashy daughter and off I go killing a few goblins. After an hour I have a full set of plate, a magical warhammer, I'm stomping around a ruin casting fireballs from my fingertips fighting undead paladins and mages and friggin arch demons.

Hello? I was a shepherd not very long ago. They really messed up the pacing of this game tbh, Gothic it aint.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited October 2010
    The demo does compress several things down, and removes several quests from that part of the progression. I think they wanted to give people an accelerated taste of the game.

brynstar on
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like they've removed most of what I loved about the previous entries in the series. I suppose I'll be giving it a pass, because there's really no shortage of linear games with decent combat.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy the demo at all. Game starts with me being a shepherd and someone asking me to prove myself worthy of marrying his trashy daughter and off I go killing a few goblins. After an hour I have a full set of plate, a magical warhammer, I'm stomping around a ruin casting fireballs from my fingertips fighting undead paladins and mages and friggin arch demons.

Hello? I was a shepherd not very long ago. They really messed up the pacing of this game tbh, Gothic it aint.
    mass-effect-3-game-2.jpg

Atleast you aren't fighting a possesed giant statue in the tutorial level.

Jutranjo on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Had this in my hands today at Walmart, but their damn register wouldn't let them sell it to me. Argh.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Atleast you aren't fighting a possesed giant statue in the tutorial level.

God of War 2?

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    So just noticed this is on Steam, with 3 2 and 1 as well. Since I've never played any of the Gothic games (although I did try Risen, and got pretty far before ye olde HDD failure), is it worth picking up?

Gothic 1 and 2 are classics. Very immersive.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I finished this today and had a blast with it. I really enjoyed the connections plot-wise to the earlier games. Great lighting in this game too!

brynstar on
    edited January 2011
    Finished this the other day (on 360). I was so close to getting to level 30 (only 700xp or so off), but I completely ran out of things to kill. :lol:
    Also only 180,000 gold in the end, so missed out on that achievement too. :(
    Last boss was a bit disappointing, a complete walkover even on hard.

Also some DLC was announced a while ago - 'Fall of Setarrif' (the town to the north-east of the map that's closed off in the main game):
    Vienna, Austria, December 10th 2010: DreamCatcher Games, Spellbound Entertainment and JoWooD Group are happy to announce the launch of the newest addition to the ArcaniA universe, ArcaniA - Fall of Setarrif. In this action filled add-on, our nameless hero will continue his journey and encounter fierce new enemies, all new items and more exotic areas to explore. For the first time in the history of the franchise, gamers will be able to experience the story from a different perspective and play as different characters.

“This add-on gives us the opportunity to tell the story of the city Setarrif. Besides the story, which is an extension of the story of ArcaniA – Gothic 4, players will be provided with diversified regions, quests and dungeons,” says André Beccu, Lead Designer Spellbound Entertainment. “Players will be able to import their Gothic 4 character and they will meet the old fellows again. But this time, we came up with something very new!”

Game Features:

* 10 hours of gameplay with a multitude of new quests and missions
    * Experience the story from another characters’ point of view – for the very first time in the franchise
    * Import your character from ArcaniA - Gothic 4 or choose one from a set of archetypes
    * A broad variety of new items for a even more character variations
    * New enemies! Prove your fighting techniques against countless hordes of monsters
    * New environments, like cities, coastal regions, jungle and mountains with volcanic activity!

Look out for a special version of the add-on which will blow the action-RPG fans’ socks off, updates and details 2011!

About ArcaniA – Fall of Setarrif:
    ArcaniA – Fall of Setarrif ties up the loose ends of the main game´s story and adds yet another chapter to the epic tale. After the demon that possessed King Robar III was exorcised, it made its way to Setarrif to find a new host. In Setarrif, which is cut-off from the rest of the island, chaos and anarchy spread rapidly!

King Robar III is troubled by these facts and is afraid of losing the city and some of his companions, which are in Setarrif at that very moment. The nameless hero therefore is sent by the king and must journey to Setarrif… but he has no idea of what lies before him.
    medgallery2606828236.jpg

medgallery26068219485.jpg

medgallery26068221384.jpg

Zilla360 on
    edited January 2011
    Wow, some DLC, neat! This was one of my favorite games of the year. Looking forward to the new content.

brynstar on
    edited January 2011
    Out of interest, how many Innos statuettes did you end up with? I missed just five.

Zilla360 on
    edited January 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Out of interest, how many Innos statuettes did you end up with? I missed just five.

You did much better than I did. I don't even remember how many I found, at some point I stopped trying to find them. I haven't gone back to the game in a while and I always meant to give it a second playthrough to try and hit the level cap. Sounds like that's going to be tough. Maybe this expansion will be the perfect excuse.

brynstar on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, hopefully the DLC will let me reach level 30. Release date has been announced as March 25th, apparently it's stand-alone on PC.

Zilla360 on