As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    One more win and Bisping is in contention already

Yeah, but Bisping is not a real contender in my eyes, I mean someone who actually has a shot to winning a belt. With GSP it's not likely at WW either but Hathaway is young enough to still be a beast when GSP has moved up (if he does).

LW is where I see it happening, Etim, Pearson and Sass are all young hard working guys with already decent skill sets for guys under 25, with no uber dominant champ there now...it could happen inside of 3 years.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've never been a fan of Cheick "Ball Kickin'" Kongo, but a way for him to win me over as a fan would be if he just went for fouls, all the time, but only enough so as not to get DQed. That would be so sweet, like a real life WWF heel.

Anyways, I was shocked to see Dan Hardy get knocked out with one punch. I always thought his chin was rock solid, but I guess anybody can go down if they get hit in just the right spot.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I picked Condit to win that fight, but I assumed it would be a decision or a submission.

I was dumbstruck.

Also, who was that Mike Pyle we saw? That was scary.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Congrats to Mercy, Chagrin, Spectrum, and Snarfmaster!

I'll update the standings and all this afternoon sometime. Brackets are already updated.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Would you have given Pyle a 10-8 for that second round? That was some great stuff, I wonder why he didn't try harder for the choke, or for the arm on the other side. He seemed perfectly content to just rack up tons of points. I believe if he tried to, he could have finished Hathaway from that position with a submission.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe Mike Pyle and Hathaway had a Freaky Friday!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, I won my PAFC fight? I was sure I did terrible.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Free from the UFC website, incase you didn't see the prelims:

McSweeney vs Maldonado.

The best part is when theres about 1:25 left in the 2nd round. God that was beautiful.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of Cheick "Ball Kickin'" Kongo, but a way for him to win me over as a fan would be if he just went for fouls, all the time, but only enough so as not to get DQed. That would be so sweet, like a real life WWF heel.

Man, he is.

This is like, the 100th time a refs been all, "Dont grab the shorts" and Kongo does it. First time I've seen someone drop a point for it. Good for the ref. Shoulda done it some more because Kongo did it atleast 10 more times in that fight. Its cheating, its BS.

Also, if you are kicking someone in the groin EVERY fight, you need to get better, or stop fighting. Or stop cheating.

One of the 3.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Congrats to Mercy, Chagrin, Spectrum, and Snarfmaster!

I'll update the standings and all this afternoon sometime. Brackets are already updated.
    Didn't do all that great, but I'll take it.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man... Maldonado is a bad ass...

I've definitely got someone new to root for in LHW.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What a bad night for England. Most of the fighters from there lost.

Ahem... USA! USA! USA! (and canada)... USA!

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The crowd was actually very polite. When Buffer would announce the non-british guy, instead of booing, they just didn't cheer.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

McSweeney vs Maldonado.

The best part is when theres about 1:25 left in the 2nd round. God that was beautiful.

Very good fight, McSweeny looked fast like a MW in the first round, LHW is a great division for him. I was wincing to see how hurt McSweeny was with those body shots. Its not too often you see gnp turn to body shots cause they hurt the guy more than flush shots to the head.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

McSweeney vs Maldonado.

Very good fight, McSweeny looked fast like a MW in the first round, LHW is a great division for him. I was wincing to see how hurt McSweeny was with those body shots. Its not too often you see gnp turn to body shots cause they hurt the guy more than flush shots to the head.

Yeah, McS looked surprisingly fast in Rd 1, but was pretty clearly exhausted as soon as Rd 2 started.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I so wish this would have been a double KO

DYbb7.jpg

so close :lol:

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

McSweeney vs Maldonado.

Yeah, McS looked surprisingly fast in Rd 1, but was pretty clearly exhausted as soon as Rd 2 started.
    You know what they say about fast guys.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So who wants to sig bet Brock vs Cain?

(I want Brock obv)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As much as I want B-Les to lose, I'm not going to bet against him in this particular matchup.

Jesus, I am so not even slightly excited about Penn/Hughes 11. Or whatever number we're on. It would be goddamn hilarious if Hughes won again though.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I watched the McSweeney fight, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As much as I want B-Les to lose, I'm not going to bet against him in this particular matchup.

Jesus, I am so not even slightly excited about Penn/Hughes 11. Or whatever number we're on. It would be goddamn hilarious if Hughes won again though.

Penn just doesn't seem motivated anymore, no belt to be had in either LW or WW for him right now and he knows it, seems like a good time to go the Hughes route of fighting "big names" who may not be as well rounded and hungry as these up and comers (Alves, Condit etc...) to make big money before you retire.

At least it should go to the mat, I don't see Hughes wanting a kickboxing match with Penn.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What a bad night for England. Most of the fighters from there lost.

Ahem... USA! USA! USA! (and canada)... USA!

Yup, it was like the opposite of 105 in Manchester (glad I went to that one and not 120!).

The only two on the Prelims I care about won (Sass and Broughton) but only one of them has potential in Sass. On the main card? Wilkes can get cut for all I care, he isn't improving at all, Hathaway and Hardy will both be back better than before imho and Bisping won, if it hadn't been for the nut shot I think he may have even got a TKO (Akiyama was rocked a little and Mike was getting confident as the power was gone from the shots he was eating).

I don't even like bisping either, I just don't dislike him. Hardy and Hathaway I swing from the nuts of like Tarzan so it's was a shitty night for me.

:cry:

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Penny Arcade Fight Club Round 2 (PAFCR2)

Partial Final Standings!
    Position Name
    Record Points
    09. 815165
    (1-2) (202)
    10. Organichu
    (1-2) (175)
    11. SweeneyTom
    (1-2) (142)
    12. sportzboytjw
    (1-2) (141)
    13. moleface
    (0-2) (137)
    14. doug_grammar / chokehead--(0-2) (97)
    15. Zzulu
    (0-2) (95)
    16. Peen / Tw1tch
    (0-2) (86)
    17. TehSpectre
    (2-0)
    18. Star
    (1-1)
    19. Metal Jared
    (1-1)
    20. ChillyWilly
    (0-2)

Bout 5 Results
    10/16/2010 @ UFC 120

Winners Bracket

Barbatus (2-1) (22) vs. Spectrum (3-0) (40)
    B:L (2-1) (33) vs. Snarfmaster (3-0) (45)

The Losers Bracket

MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (3-1) (40) vs. A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (2-2) (30)
    adytum (2-2) (40) vs. facetious / Chagrin (3-1) (64)

Bout 6 Matchups
    10/23/2010 @ UFC 121

Winners Bracket

Championship Match! (1st & 2nd Place)
    Spectrum (3-0) vs. Snarfmaster (3-0)

Runner-Up Match! (3rd & 4th Place)
    Barbatus (2-1) (22) vs. B:L (2-1)

The Losers Bracket

Redemption Match! (5th & 6th Place)
    MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (3-1) vs. facetious / Chagrin (3-1)

Consolation Match! (7th & 8th Place)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (2-2) vs. adytum (2-2)

Brackets

The Winners Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166
    Next bout: 10/23/2010 @ UFC 121

The Losers Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Losers

Redemption Match! (5th & 6th Place)
    MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (3-1) vs. facetious / Chagrin (3-1)

Consolation Match! (7th & 8th Place)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (2-2) vs. adytum (2-2)

adytum on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    did they confuse ufc 121 for ultimate fighter finale or something

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Penn just doesn't seem motivated anymore, no belt to be had in either LW or WW for him right now and he knows it, seems like a good time to go the Hughes route of fighting "big names" who may not be as well rounded and hungry as these up and comers (Alves, Condit etc...) to make big money before you retire.

At least it should go to the mat, I don't see Hughes wanting a kickboxing match with Penn.

BJ looked disinterested vs Edgar when there was a belt on the line. He just looks disinterested in general.

Akiyama's refusal to use anything that got him there is plain annoying.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    did they confuse ufc 121 for ultimate fighter finale or something

Hmm, you're right. It's pretty lackluster aside from the top of the card. And a lot of former castmembers are on the card.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    121 is not lacklustre

Main event is awesome. Co-main has Shields doing his debut against Kampmann. That is an awesome matchup and matters a lot for the division. Then you have Diego vs Paulo which is even more awesome. I struggle to imagine how that fight could possibly disappoint.

Tito vs Hamill is incredibly inconsequential to the division, but I predict hilarity so I'm really looking forward to it. Then we got Gonzaga vs Schaub which will probably be entertaining as hell and one man will most likely get stopped one way or another

Then you got guys like Paul Taylor on the card as well, so you're getting even more fun crazy fighting

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

BJ looked disinterested vs Edgar when there was a belt on the line. He just looks disinterested in general.

Yeah, thats the thing, his fan bois blamed the heat at 112 but there were no excuses in the re-match, I just don't think he is hungry anymore.

I wonder how badly the GSP beating effected him, he used to think he was invincible but now he knows there is someone out there that beat the fight right out of him.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Winners Bracket

Buh? I thought we would enter the losers bracket to fight our way back up to winners. That's how double elim should go.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forumite wrote: »
    121 is not lacklustre

Main event is awesome. Co-main has Shields doing his debut against Kampmann. That is an awesome matchup and matters a lot for the division. Then you have Diego vs Paulo which is even more awesome. I struggle to imagine how that fight could possibly disappoint.

Tito vs Hamill is incredibly inconsequential to the division, but I predict hilarity so I'm really looking forward to it. Then we got Gonzaga vs Schaub which will probably be entertaining as hell and one man will most likely get stopped one way or another

Then you got guys like Paul Taylor on the card as well, so you're getting even more fun crazy fighting

On top of that, Tom Lawlor is fighting on the Spike prelims, so we're guaranteed some costumed craziness at the weigh-ins and the fight. Lawlor isn't the best fighter in the world, but he's tough and has a great sense of humor.

121 should be a good card. At the very least, it will be loads better than 119.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ah, good reminder to set my dvr up for that.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    The Winners Bracket

Buh? I thought we would enter the losers bracket to fight our way back up to winners. That's how double elim should go.
    adytum wrote:
    Structure

There are three brackets.

The Winners Bracket is the main bracket, made up of the top 16 contenders from PAFC Round 2 Bout 1. If you lose in the winners bracket in bouts 2 or 3, you're dropped into..

The Losers Bracket is the secondary bracket, where the losers of bouts 2 and 3 will compete for 5th and 6th place. Prestigious!

The Elimination Bracket is for those 4 poor individuals eliminated in bout 1. It will span bouts 3 and 4, and has a consolation bracket for last place.

Doing a proper double elimination would take a lot longer and require a lot more downtime where people sit out matches.

adytum on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Yeah, thats the thing, his fan bois blamed the heat at 112 but there were no excuses in the re-match, I just don't think he is hungry anymore.

I wonder how badly the GSP beating effected him, he used to think he was invincible but now he knows there is someone out there that beat the fight right out of him.

BJ looked good in his post-GSP fights though, against Florian and Sanchez. He was coming in in good shape. He was on his way to cementing his legacy as the GOAT LW, for which his fights with GSP are as irrelevant as GSP getting smashed by Anderson Silva would be for GSP's WW legacy. BJ looked interested in those fights.

That BJ, the one who was licking blood off his gloves vs Stevenson, I'm still waiting for him to show up in 2010.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's true I guess. I had heard he was an odd guy, maybe he just doesn't care anymore?

Oh and yes, 121 is the tits, Shields Kampmann being the highlight for me, I think Kampmann's ground game might actually give Shields some issues....

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's true I guess. I had heard he was an odd guy, maybe he just doesn't care anymore?

Oh and yes, 121 is the tits, Shields Kampmann being the highlight for me, I think Kampmann's ground game might actually give Shields some issues....

So what do you think Dana wants to happen in the Shields/Kampmann fight? Shields wins, awesome, he steals good talent from Strikeforce. Shields loses, Strikeforce's champion can't even beat somone not that close to a title shot in the UFC.

Seems like this is win/win for Dana/UFC

Also I'm really excited to see Brock/Cain, I really like watching Brock fight, his last fight against Carwin was very exciting, though I wonder what happens if Brock ever gets to rounds 4/5

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i think brock turns into a nerdy glasses wearing scientist
    he's like a reverse hulk

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm saying this match won't escape 3 rounds.

Brock will GnP.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    someone photoshop thor's hammers onto the ends of brock's arm now that he has the beard
    hamma fist!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    he's like a reverse hulk

That's fucking hilarious

:^:

He really needs to get a cover up tattoo for that cock on his chest however.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    he's like a reverse hulk

That's fucking hilarious

:^:

He really needs to get a cover up tattoo for that cock on his chest however.

It would be better as an actual cock. He could claim superbad-disease or irony or something. "Veiny!"

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)