As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Because everyone loves Samus Pony...

maroomareemaroomaree Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Now available in 3 dimensions!

samus_pony_ii_by_techneurology-d30iaom.jpg

maroomaree on

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love no one!

EDIT: I love that though.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    That's pretty great!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    amazing. can we see more views?

beavotron on
  • maroomareemaroomaree Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh, sure! Here are a few of the others I have uploaded:

samus_pony_iic_by_techneurology-d30ice6.jpg

samus_pony_iid_by_techneurology-d30id3b.jpg

samus_pony_iie_by_techneurology-d30jmmd.jpg

and in case anyone is wondering vaguely, I am the person responsible for Samus Pony 2-D

samus_pony_design_by_techneurology-d2iiq8k.jpg

..which I put together as a concept for the sculpture back in 05/06? I swear it takes me forever to complete a project.

Anyway, now the gamer world knows where to point their adoration and/or loathing. *Lowers goggles*.

Thanks for the feedback :)

maroomaree on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think I have the right eyes to view this with. Its just so many good things at once.

Arden Canelo on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dont know what to say to this other than:

awwwwww

wakkawa on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the green tail a nod to Samus' hair in the NES game?

Delzhand on
    edited October 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Is the green tail a nod to Samus' hair in the NES game?
    Of course! :)

Samus and I go way back. I remember when she used to dye her hair punk-rock colors, before she lost all that weight and had to have her suit re-sized. Ah, the good old days. *sniff*

maroomaree on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Very awesome, I love it! The detail is pretty faithful , even down to her gun arm being longer than her regular arm. Which admittedly would make it like impossible for a horse to walk normally, but hey, this is a crazy samus pony!

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    edited October 2010
    I figure it's a situation similar to that of Faith, the Incredible Bipedal Dog

article-1303762-0AD20F67000005DC-168_468x286.jpg

maroomaree on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    does the helmet come off?

Somebody ask her if the helmet comes off!

Metalbourne on
    edited October 2010
    No, sorry. I am ashamed.

maroomaree on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, it's pretty cool regardless.

Metalbourne on
    edited October 2010
    Thank you :D

maroomaree on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's... that's amazing. And beautiful. I weep tears of joy.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How did you...

the visor?

Paradise on
    edited October 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    How did you...

the visor?

It was pretty straightforward. I put a flat frame on her face in roughly the shape I wanted the visor to ultimately take - this allowed me to set the visor part away from her face so it wasn't touching the nose or eyebrows. After I sculpted and painted **everything else**, I started in on the helmet. First I got a piece of transparent green vellum (the sort that is sold in the architectural-model section of Utrecht or your local comprehensive art supply store - it's got a better transparency than a coke bottle, and it flexes better, the only problem is that it blemishes somewhat easily) and I used superglue to stick it to the outer face of the visor frame I'd sculpted, and then I covered it with a protective layer of artist's tape and sculpted the rest of the helmet in on top of it. As such, it is permanent, permanently enclosed, and *very* difficult to replace were it to get damaged.

What I wanted to do was to etch a route on the inside of the helmet's opening for the eyes that I could then cut visors to fit in, and then I could pop them out if they got damaged and cut a new one. The difficulties there lie in getting the route perfectly straight and getting a good shape on the visor. The only way I could get it to look right is to pull it taught on either side and nail it down with a strong glue, and that's hard to do if it's just sitting in there.

maroomaree on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you have this hosted on a website anywhere? Pretty sure the various gaming blogs would be more than happy to put a story up about this, if you wanted them to.

edit: oh, and it's incredible.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, a few days ago I was just trying to tell someone about the weirdly vigorous mod community that exists around My Little Ponies and some of the incredibly cool/unexpected stuff you folks do. Perfect example. This is awesome! :D

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited October 2010
    plufim wrote: »
    Do you have this hosted on a website anywhere? Pretty sure the various gaming blogs would be more than happy to put a story up about this, if you wanted them to.

edit: oh, and it's incredible.

*blush* thanks.

Do you mean like... on DeviantArt or something? That's where it's hosted now; my tag there is techneurology. I'd also be happy to host it elsewhere and answer any questions. So far no one has asked for more information than what I've posted here. I enjoy hearing feedback as it provides inspiration. Someone asked if the helmet comes off and I've already started thinking about how to go about making it happen, for example.

I have been left glowing by all the positive responses, though, so thanks, Arcaders. You guys are awesome. <3

maroomaree on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think you should send it to Kotaku, they might post it up as a news item - I've seen stuff like this on there before. The exposure would be positive for this and the rest of your art, and I think you deserve it!

So cute...

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha