As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST BYOC!?

chrwinchrwin Registered User new member
edited October 2010 in PAX Archive
Hey everyone! Im really excited to attend pax again next year.

That being said I have a question, I was on the BYOC last year and how it worked was some time after registration they opened the BYOC without actually giving us a date ahead of time. I was wondering for this time how it would work. Will you give us more notice? will it be random, and first come first serve? can we opt in for an email alert?

Can you just register me now? Here's 1,000 dollars make it happen.

kthanks.

chrwin on

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    First come first serve. Watch the forums daily for the announcement (although usually there's a pre-announcement) from BigRed.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    $1k? Hell yeah!

:P

Date will come later, first paid first served just like last year. It will certinally be live sooner than it was last year.

Follow PAX_BYOC on twitter and ill make announcements there as well as the forums.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    DIBS.

Just getting that in early.

(Better get going on my casemod!)

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DIBS.

I wouldn't suggest a waffle maker =/

adester on
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm currently planing stages for my Itx machine.
    Mini itx speical order HTPC motherboard.
    Amd x6 1055T
    Mini pxi express SSD
    sliverstone 600w mini itx case
    GTX 470

I can't wait to BYOC

darkinfero on
    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
    edited October 2010
    darkinfero wrote: »
    I'm currently planing stages for my Itx machine.
    Mini itx speical order HTPC motherboard.
    Amd x6 1055T
    Mini pxi express SSD
    sliverstone 600w mini itx case
    GTX 470

I can't wait to BYOC

Nice :D

BigRed on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm making sure to bring my Windows 3.1 cd this year, once I find it....

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I wish I still had mine but its was disk and about 12 or so of them.

adester on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adester wrote: »

I wish I still had mine but its was disk and about 12 or so of them.

Mines not per se a straight up Microsoft CD. It is a Gateway 2000 cd that came with the PC that had windows 3.1 on it. I used it a few times back in the day to buy the upgrade for win95 and 98 since they only required a full version of a previous windows, and 3.1 full install was on the cd.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • El_GatoEl_Gato Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This will be my first time and I will do the BYOC; I'm just curious as to how safe the equipment is.
    Do I have to bring locks?
    Do I have to take my PC away when I'm not in the BYOC room?
    If I can leave it, do I leave it over night as well?
    Do I also Bring a monitor?

I will be building an; NZXT Vulcan w/ 200mm side fan, EVGA Micro SLI gtx 460, i7 920, Corsair H50 600w Modular Cooler Master Silent Pro, Raid 500gb 7200 rpm + 300gb 10,000rpm + 30gb SSD
    With some nice custom Vinyls on my Rig with a 120hz monitor + 3D glasses gaming.

El_Gato on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    El_Gato wrote: »
    This will be my first time and I will do the BYOC; I'm just curious as to how safe the equipment is.
    Do I have to bring locks?
    Do I have to take my PC away when I'm not in the BYOC room?
    If I can leave it, do I leave it over night as well?
    Do I also Bring a monitor?

I will be building an; NZXT Vulcan w/ 200mm side fan, EVGA Micro SLI gtx 460, i7 920, Corsair H50 600w Modular Cooler Master Silent Pro, Raid 500gb 7200 rpm + 300gb 10,000rpm + 30gb SSD
    With some nice custom Vinyls on my Rig with a 120hz monitor + 3D glasses gaming.

BigRed should be here today to answer these but I can say that last PAXE the BYOC area was guarded by a swarm of enforcers and you had to have a BYOC pass to get in. Even your friends couldn't come in to kick it with you unless they had a BYOC pass. You leave the PC the entire time and overnight. I believe you check the PC in and if you want to you can check it out with an enforcer. Locks are probably a good thing.

You do bring your own monitor and there are size restrictions. I think 22" is the biggest one can bring. You're allowed 1 ethernet cord(pretty sure you bring your own) and two plugins for your monitor and PC. You can't bring a splitter to plug in 3-4 things and you can't bring a switch for internet.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    If you have a laptop its highly suggested you use a laptop lock. If its a full computer people wont really mess with your stuff. Make friends with the people around you, everyone watches out for others.

No you can leave it in there. Security makes sure only the owners take out tagged hardware
    Yes you leave it overnight as well. We are the first ones in and the last ones out.

Yes you have to bring everything needed for the computer, no hardware is provided for BYOC. Monitor size limitation is 24" though due to power/space restrictions.

There will be a FAQ thread up soon about BYOC stuff, I will try and get posted this week.

BigRed on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I assume our spots are still safe if we take our computer with us back to our hotel? I'm tempted to sign up for this but I'd rather not leave my gaming laptop there overnight if I do.

It's not a tumor on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited October 2010
    Once you claim a seat, it is yours for the whole show. =D

David Coffman on
  • El_GatoEl_Gato Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thank you, This is definitely very exciting. I can't wait to have my PC displayed, I may hang out with friends more than I am in the BYOC room, but I'm sure the experience is worth it.

El_Gato on
  • MasterShakeMasterShake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this is my first time to pax as well and im going to try to sine up for the byoc and was wondering if there is a psu limitation?

MasterShake on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not BigRed, but I think it's fair to say that if you trip a breaker plugging your monitor and computer into the same outlet plate, it's not going to fly in BYOC.

You do realize the wattage rating on power supplies is the capacity, not the actual draw, right?

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited October 2010
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I'm not BigRed, but I think it's fair to say that if you trip a breaker plugging your monitor and computer into the same outlet plate, it's not going to fly in BYOC.

i figured that much : D

You do realize the wattage rating on power supplies is the capacity, not the actual draw, right?

and yes i know all about that : D

MasterShake on
    edited October 2010
    Theres no PSU limitation (right now there isnt just because we haven't had issues yet), but if theres 6 ultra high powered rigs sitting at the same power circuit we might move people around if there are problems with breaker trip-age :P

That said we haven't tripped a breaker in BYOC yet due to power draw. Lets hope it stays that way. The power is Laid out pretty pro.

BigRed on
    edited October 2010
    sweet deal thanks man : ) hopefully i can get a seat and rock out with you all

MasterShake on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was a first timer at PAX East last year and the BYOC was great. It's well worth the money.
    Last year's BYOC swag packs were worth way more than the cost of admission.

Try to bring games that can host local LAN servers. The LAN is fast, outside servers, not so much.
    Remember to bring your install media or a backup of your steam account on a hard drive, and have all your games patched before you get there.

If you are hanging out in the BYOC, pay attention to the contests, lots of great prizes last year...so take the headphones off once in a while and pay attention to Red and his Imperial Guard's announcements.

macrogeek on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I wouldnt expect the same kind of swag bag this year. Last year was a perfect storm of free swag since PAX lined up perfectly with nvidias fermi launch and the 500ton marketing budget came out to play :P

BigRed on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DIBS.

Dude, a waffle maker would be amazing. A computer that channels heat-waste into a belgian waffle maker would be the greatest casemod in the history of mankind.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    edited October 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    DIBS.

Dude, a waffle maker would be amazing. A computer that channels heat-waste into a belgian waffle maker would be the greatest casemod in the history of mankind.

All the heatpipes from every hot component going into waffle iron plates?

BigRed on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, so maybe less swag this year but since my friends aren't coming this time we are going to tell them we all got free alienware laptops, but we gave them away to Child's play. Sound good?

macrogeek on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm good with this!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    DIBS.

All the heatpipes from every hot component going into waffle iron plates?

Exactly! Imagine! You're at PAX East, BYOC. You're computer's overclocked. You're fragging n00bz left and right. You catch a break in the action. The way your rig is running, most people would worry about it overheating. But not you. Instead, you just reach up, lift a handle, and take a bite out of a delicious Belgian waffle. It tastes like victory.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    edited October 2010
    If only heatpipes worked that way :P

BigRed on
    edited October 2010
    What you realy need to do is get a dual cpu phase change cooler in use one cpu block for your cpu and use the second one to chill a fountain drink that is built into the front of your case :D

MasterShake on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    BYOC FAQ thread is up with registration info. I'm locking this thread to divert all BYOC related discussion to that thread.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.