As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everybody buy the Plain Janes or I hate you.

hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2007 in Graphic Violence
It's the first comic from DC's new Minx imprint, and it is about ART TERRORISTS and it is drawn by Jim Rugg, probably the best person ever and creator of STREET ANGEL and it looks so rad and this is the kind of thing that could maybe make more people read comics not Civil War

oh man it looks so awesome I would die so Jim Rugg could live

I tried to find some preview pages but Minx has this awful flash site where it is impossible to find anything

minisy3.gif
hughtron on

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a friend for whom this looks perfect.

deadonthestreet on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No thankyou, I have a penis

Algertman on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    No thankyou, I have a penis

what are you, twelve?

It's a book about teenage girls who use punk rock street art to fight bullies and make the world a better place. And it's drawn by JIM RUGG. That is totally great, no matter what kind of genitals you have.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited May 2007
    But yeah, I guess a bunch of comics about sweaty muscle-bound men in pervert-suit tights are probably a better bet. Way more 'hetero.'

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited May 2007
    You missed the joke

I actually plan on picking this up

Algertman on
    edited May 2007
    In my defense, that's a pretty lame joke.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't have it any other way

Algertman on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    In Algertman's defense, it is aimed at teenage girls

also Jim Rugg is totally not the best

Garlic Bread on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do you have to be indie to read this? Because I don't think I make the cut.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
    edited May 2007
    NAND NOR wrote: »

No, but it does help your indy cred.

Though it may lead to buying stuff at Hot Topic

Algertman on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2007
    OH MY GOD JIM RUGG OH MY GOD STREET ANGEL IS THE BEST

Whippy on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    I'm probably not going to buy this, because I'm buying too much as it is.

DJ Eebs on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll probably pick this up from the library, but honestly, this sounded kind of boring.

Munch on
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I'm reporting this post for an infraction

because he totally is the best

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

I'm reporting this post for an infraction

because he totally is the best

what has he done

i see that he has done this Plain Janes

and Street Angels

he'll need more than two books to even make me think he might be able to look at the best

Garlic Bread on
  • Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I almost picked this up today. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys have to say, because I passed on it in favor of saving a little money for Pan's Labyrinth.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    But yeah, I guess a bunch of comics about sweaty muscle-bound men in pervert-suit tights are probably a better bet. Way more 'hetero.'

How about Marvel try to appeal to other markets with something other than comics about vigilantes?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone else find the idea of a "Minx" imprint painfully patronizing?

"Hey you sassy, sexy girls, we're pandering to you for your dollars. Boys need not apply."

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007

How about Marvel try to appeal to other markets with something other than comics about vigilantes?

I'm not entirely sure what this post means, but I think Marvel's been trying to reach out of the superhero niche for a while now.

I mean, they bought the Dabel Bros. imprint, brought in Stephen King, and now they've got that Marvel Illustrated line.

DJ Eebs on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    NAND NOR wrote: »

Man, what? What does this even mean? The comic is, to my knowledge, not written in some crazy moon language.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what this post means, but I think Marvel's been trying to reach out of the superhero niche for a while now.

I mean, they bought the Dabel Bros. imprint, brought in Stephen King, and now they've got that Marvel Illustrated line.

I'd like to be optimistic about this latest effort, but their history is littered with half-assed (or even quarter-assed) attempts to diversify that never seem to last past the next editorial regime change. We've had Epic (in a couple of incarnations), Star Comics, Marvel Music (featuring KRS-One!), Razorline, Heavy Hitters, and the present-day Icon Comics (which seems more like it exists to keep their top creators happy and Marvel-exclusive than for any serious stabs at creator-owned non-superhero work - which is fine in itself, don't get me wrong, but I'd love a Marvel-stylee Vertigo line).

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    well, really, we don't even have this, since plain janes is a dc book

and i'll start believing icon is a real imprint when they start publishing more than one book

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I meant "this" as in, like the Gunslinger and Dabel Bros. stuff that Geebs was talking about.

But yeah, Minx. I like the idea. What we've seen of the books looks good. But the name is soooo stupid and it seems vaguely dodgy that they couldn't launch a comics-for-girls line with more actual female creators (it's only two out of 14, unless you count the two line editors). Various DC and industry types have offered differing explanations for this, the popular one being "We talked to [female writer/artist], honest! But they were busy, so we went with the girlish stylings of Mike Carey!" but it seems odd, especially since several female creators (including a couple I'm acquainted with) later came forward and said they were never approached to pitch, or even informed of the line's existence.

I mean, I'm not a pie-eyed idealist, I understand why DC might want to go with, to their eyes, proven male creators over female relative unknowns in almost every other circumstance, but this? I don't think any tween girls will be moved to buy a Minx book just cause it's "by the writer of Vertigo's Lucifer."

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Servo wrote: »

and i'll start believing icon is a real imprint when they start publishing more than one book

*facepalm*

For some reason I thought it was Marvel. My bad.

Still, my point was that I really don't see how you're going to attract new markets to comics by slight variations on a theme they're already not interested in. It's really not a very long way from "men and women in tights fighting crime" to "punk rawk grrls fighting crime".

I think Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane was probably a better attempt at this sort of thing. Sure, it has a superhero and all, but the focus is on Mary Jane and her soap opera of a life.

As for Icon, don't they publish Powers and Kabuki?

So... two books. :P

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2007
    I would kill Jesus to have more Street Angel, and I'm not even a Jew.

That's how much I loved it.

Whippy on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Servo wrote: »

*facepalm*

For some reason I thought it was Marvel. My bad.

Still, my point was that I really don't see how you're going to attract new markets to comics by slight variations on a theme they're already not interested in. It's really not a very long way from "men and women in tights fighting crime" to "punk rawk grrls fighting crime".

I think Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane was probably a better attempt at this sort of thing. Sure, it has a superhero and all, but the focus is on Mary Jane and her soap opera of a life.

As for Icon, don't they publish Powers and Kabuki?

So... two books. :P

the only book of which i am aware that icons publishes is criminal.

further research indicates that yes, they are publishing the current kabuki and powers runs, though

so i'll amend it to say once they start publishing more than one book that they didn't swipe from image

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2007

The comic isn't in any way about vigilantes. I must have kind of misrepresented it, I think. It's about girls who form a secret art gang to make their town a funner place. They hang sculptures in trees and decorate cars with giftwrap. They do stand up to the police a little, so I guess it's kind of about vigilantes.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

The comic isn't in any way about vigilantes. I must have kind of misrepresented it, I think. It's about girls who form a secret art gang to make their town a funner place. They hang sculptures in trees and decorate cars with giftwrap. They do stand up to the police a little, so I guess it's kind of about vigilantes.

Do they also tag walls with AIR symbols and listen to nine inch nails obsessively?

muninn on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I bought this, and did not hate it.

There were a couple of points which made me *facepalm* (the bit where she thinks going to Poland is a great idea and goddamit why won't he take me he's a big meany), but generally I liked it. It's a bit earnest in places, and the other Janes don't really have much too them, but it tickled me more than most of the stuff I bought last week.

Bogart on