As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Meat Boy: A game about jumping

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Super Meat Boy is a 2D platformer where you have to jump.

You are a boy, made out of meat.

Super Meat Boy Advert

Looks pretty neato right?

Here's the important information:
The Developer, Team Meat, is made up of Edmund McMillen (Gish, Cunt, Aether, Spewer, Time Fcuk, and he helped with Braid) and Tommy Refenes, who did this rather excellent rant at GDC2010

Tommy on the iPhone app store

It's coming to PC/Mac/Wiiware/XBLA. It's going to be on Steam, and directly from the developers site.
The PC version will have a level editor, added some time after release.
They are being pretty open about some elements of the game design. See blog posts on difficulty and risk/reward.
It features unlockable characters from a bunch of other indie games. Tim from Braid, Alien Hominid from Alien Hominid, Commander Video from Bit.Trip, Flywrench from Flywrench and Ogmo from Jumper. All play completely differently, and control like you would expect them to from their own games.

Reviews:
SMB is a platformer that is worthy of that acronym. It’s fantastic looking, challenging and fair. The fiendish level design towards the end holds nothing back, and is rightly demanding of the player. In its head is forward thinking game design, in its heart is reverence for the games that have come before it, and on its face is a huge grin and a focused stare.
Super Meat Boy is one of the best modern platformers. It's infuriating, exasperating, and arduous, but it's also delightful, thrilling, and hilarious. The NES games of yore were simultaneously simpler and more challenging than today's games, a quality perfectly emulated here. Invite some friends over and pass the controller around -- you're gonna need all the help you can get.
First there was Donkey Kong, then came Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic. Now we have Meat Boy. The world's newest 2D platforming legend has arrived.
Super Meat Boy may be one of the most frustrating games I've played in recent memory. No other game has had me cursing at the screen with such frequency, had me so close to throwing my controller at the wall so often -- and yet, I absolutely loved every minute of it. Maybe that sounds a little too much like Stockholm syndrome, but in reality it's thanks to the game's strange sense of humor and some solid design.

Because of Microsoft's MS points promotion thing, if you spend 2,400 ms points in October, you get 800 back.

Also, for a limited time at release, the game will only be 800 MS Points. It will go back up to it's regular price of 1,200 MS points in November.

LewieP on

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks a lot like that gamemaker game Jumper (here, scroll down), right down to the odd double-jump mechanic.

e: huh.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I sent a message to the developers saying that if they wanted to use any of the characters from our game, I'd be happy to send them the sprite sheets. Sadly, it was not to be (i.e. they never responded).

Still looking forward to the game though.

RainbowDespair on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think that they're kind of late into development at this stage, and since they are making each of the characters play completely differently, and each of them have special levels for unlocking them, it would be a pretty big change to just add a new character.

Which is a shame really, it would have been cool to have Dem in there.

Although you should totally take a leaf out of their book, and have cameos from other XBLIGs in your next game.

LewieP on
    edited October 2010
    Bump for the fact that it is out on Wednesday on XBLA.

Also, it is fucking amazing. One of the best pure platformers ever. Genuinely stunning.

Here's my review, IGN's, destructoid's and 1up's. All overwhelmingly positive.

I shall update the OP.

LewieP on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Giant Bomb has a massive Quick Look up. Sounds like Brad is really loving it.

He also curses a ton during the video.

SteevL on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Giant Bomb has a massive Quick Look up. Sounds like Brad is really loving it.

He also curses a ton during the video.

Sounds more like he loves to hate it.

Have they said when it's supposed to be out on PC? Steam lists the somewhat unprecise "november" and I can't find anything on the game's website.

Peewi on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I want this. When will it be out on Wii? I can't decide if I want XBLA, PC, or Wii version.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Played this for a fair bit at a friend's (he won a code off Twitter). Echoing LewieP's comments - this is so much fun no one should bother with the demo, just mash butan and buy the instant it becomes available.

edit:
    anoffday wrote: »
    I think I want this. When will it be out on Wii? I can't decide if I want XBLA, PC, or Wii version.

jrQ

ihd on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As a person that has been known to like a little digital masochism, you know I'm in.

Monger on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ihd wrote: »
    Played this for a fair bit at a friend's (he won a code off Twitter). Echoing LewieP's comments - this is so much fun no one should bother with the demo, just mash butan and buy the instant it becomes available.

edit:

jrQ
    They've been saying things as developers that I don't think most would say. Stuff like that above, and also when asked if it'd be on PSN they said NEVER. I guess I appreciate their honesty. I was probably going to go with the 360 version for achievements, if nothing else.

anoffday on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    360 will be getting ongoing free extra levels using a loophole in microsoft's system.
    I'm pretty sure they've said wii won't be getting them, even as paid dlc.

SaraLuna on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HELLA TIGHT CONTROLS.

I'll probably end up snagging this, I like what I've seen of it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ...and apparently it's launching at $10 and won't be bumped up to the full $15 until next month: http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1128786p1.html

SaraLuna on
    edited October 2010
    They've been saying things as developers that I don't think most would say. Stuff like that above, and also when asked if it'd be on PSN they said NEVER. I guess I appreciate their honesty. I was probably going to go with the 360 version for achievements, if nothing else.

The story with the PS3 version:

They sent a build to Sony and Microsoft at the same time. Microsoft got back to them, and offered them an XBLA deal, part of which was "You can't make a PS3 version".

Much later, Sony got back to them, asking if they could be sent a build of the game for consideration for PSN (despite having already been sent one). By that point they had already signed the deal with Microsoft, so it was too late.

It's not a timed thing, the game will never come out for PS3.

LewieP on
  • MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ihd wrote: »

jrQ

Huh. I kinda wish they'd elaborated on the reasons. I was rarin' to go on the WiiWare version (due to d-pad preference), but ... :shrug:

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
    edited October 2010
    The file size restriction on the Wii version means that they have had to reduce the quality of the audio. The Wii version will also be lower resolution, not feature a few of the characters from the 360 version (iirc, each version has at least one exclusive character), and not feature "The Internets", the extra bonus chapter that keeps getting new levels added to it (for free).

Edit: And it controls absolutely fine with a stick.

LewieP on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    800pts on release? Purchase confirmed.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    The file size restriction on the Wii version means that they have had to reduce the quality of the audio. The Wii version will also be lower resolution, not feature a few of the characters from the 360 version (iirc, each version has at least one exclusive character), and not feature "The Internets", the extra bonus chapter that keeps getting new levels added to it (for free).

Edit: And it controls absolutely fine with a stick.

Well then. That settles that hash. XBLA it is.

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Excellent. A cheaper release price is a simple yet cunning way to tickle my impulse circuits into picking it up straight away.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2010
    The only other thing is that the PC version will eventually get a level editor added to it.

And the free levels from "The Internets" will be pretty easy to remake with the level editor.

I'd say go for the XBLA version (which will probably be the cheapest) unless the idea of a level editor sounds good to you.

LewieP on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It was also originally Wiiware exclusive.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In my mind its playstyle would have been at its most perfect on the handhelds, but that's just me. I'll take what I can get.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not really a fan of the super precise death-a-thon style of platformers. I absolutely hated N+, for one.

But this at least looks like it has a lot of character and style to it, so I'm going to give it a go.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Too gory! Bloody streaks everywhere you move? No thanks! :D

I'll be picking this and Costume Quest tomorrow.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • hojuhoju Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rawr can't decide.

I want it on the:
    • PC - Cause of the level editor, but I'm curious how it will control?
    • Mac - Cause it sounds like an awesome game to play on the train, but the release date is still TBD.
    • Xbox - Cause it comes out tomorrow, $10 and Teh Internets, but no level editor...

How will I decide?

Actually I know I have no self control and will absolutely purchase it tomorrow. Has anyone played it on the PC? If so how does it control?

hoju on
    426647-1.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the current deal that if you buy 2400 MSfunbucks worth of stuff, you get 800 back?

So if you've already bought comic jumper and you're getting either costume quest or some rock band DLC this month, THIS GAME IS FUCKING FREE.

Easiest purchase decision ever, even if I hadn't already gotten addicted to it at PAX.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited October 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the current deal that if you buy 2400 MSfunbucks worth of stuff, you get 800 back?

So if you've already bought comic jumper and you're getting either costume quest or some rock band DLC this month, THIS GAME IS FUCKING FREE.

Easiest purchase decision ever, even if I hadn't already gotten addicted to it at PAX.

Indeed. Certainly one of the better XBLA deals ever.

LewieP on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've got a nice game plan guys, what do you think?

Step 1: Buy this game and play it for half an hour.
    Step 2: Keel over and feel the back of my head literally tear open due to my brain trying to escape its own madness.
    Step 3: Crumple into a heap.
    Step 4: Repeat Step 2 & 3.

Cannon Goose on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Indeed. Certainly one of the better XBLA deals ever.

It's not actually free, considering you won't get those points until sometime in November. Something else will be free in the future, though!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    As a person that has been known to like a little digital masochism, you know I'm in.

This is precisely why I'm skipping it

It sounded neat at first, but comparisons to N+ are disheartening

UnbreakableVow on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hoju wrote: »
    • PC - Cause of the level editor, but I'm curious how it will control?
    Cursor keys + space for jumping? Given that the original N and Meat Boy both started as PC games I don't really think it'll be much of an issue. I also imagine it'll support a 360 controller, most multiplatform games these days do.

Glal on
    edited October 2010
    Looks like the discount to 800 points will be available until the 21st November.

And UnbreakableVow, I'd still suggest giving the demo a try. I'd say it's a bit more forgiving than N+.

LewieP on
    edited October 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

Ha, that image is pretty good, I imagine that will be me soon.

Although it depends if this will be like the Trauma games where I take the difficulty head on and actually become good, or like Trials HD where I scream hysterically "Bikes can't climb 85° inclines, game!"

PaperLuigi44 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game was lovingly crafted specifically for me personally

joshofalltrades on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buying this game will push me over 2400 MS points this month, too, so there's absolutely no reason for me not to purchase this

joshofalltrades on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love N+ so between the $5 off and the Microsoft 2400 points promotion, I pretty much have to get this.

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2010
    The icing on the meat, if you can stand the analogy, is what makes Super Meat Boy such a great game for so many gamers. What could have potentially become the hardcore and niche platformer I Wanna Be The Guy avoids mediocrity by painting the game in thick retro reverie.

Comparisons to I Wanna Be The Guy are what kind of seal the deal for me

joshofalltrades on
    edited October 2010
    The Kid from IWBTG is one of the unlockable characters

LewieP on
    edited October 2010
    So I think I'm going to be buying 2 XBLA games tomorrow. Costume Quest comes out tomorrow too and it also looks awesome.

anoffday on
This discussion has been closed.