As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the problem with the first route, though, munch is

everyone knows what the Hulk looks like

Not in the show world, but in the viewing audience.

Compound this with the fact that people are dumb and you'll have people getting really pissed really quick that the Hulk show doesn't feature any Hulks

An audience full of Ian Malcolms
    Oh, I agree. What I was getting at, in a roundabout way, is that the budgetary limitations of a TV show will never be able to match a modern audience's expectations for the Hulk. Of course, Smallville's been trucking along for years now, and they seem to do okay.

It'd also probably help that a Hulk show would make liberal use of backwoods areas that'd probably be relatively cheap to film in. Plus, modern make-up and facial prosthetics might actually be able to create a nice middle-ground between CGI and a green bodybuilder, without being prohibitively expensive.

Munch on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Munch wrote: »

Compound this with the fact that people are dumb and you'll have people getting really pissed really quick that the Hulk show doesn't feature any Hulks

Oh, I agree. What I was getting at, in a roundabout way, is that the budgetary limitations of a TV show will never be able to match a modern audience's expectations for the Hulk. Of course, Smallville's been trucking along for years now, and they seem to do okay.

It'd also probably help that a Hulk show would make liberal use of backwoods areas that'd probably be relatively cheap to film in. Plus, modern make-up and facial prosthetics might actually be able to create a nice middle-ground between CGI and a green bodybuilder, without being prohibitively expensive.

The Hulk doesn't look great outside of the comic books thought, he never has and even with the recent films he didn't. The look is very old and out of place amongst other things, which is why I say put him in an alien environment, give him the cool weapons and armour like in Planet Hulk, make him look like a kind Barbarian warrior rather than a big green brute.

That would be the best way I think, take him out of the normal world and put him in an alien world. Then you can have a great fish out of water feel because Banner/Hulk is a human amongst aliens, and you can actually have character progression in the series because in Planet hulk you actually see the Hulk grow from a savage brute into a King and then into the coldly furious Green Scar. That range it not something that has really been in any other Hulk story. Plus in later seasons you can have the return to Earth, World War Hulk, the arrival of Hulk's sons etc, all of which are in canon and actually show a much more tv show like rate of progression, whereas normally comic books are much slower.

Solar on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno, I thought he looked great in the Norton film.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They should just make a really high-budget animated or CGI film. Think of the effects you could pull off, and you wouldn't have to worry about whatever superhero looking a dork clown cosplayer the way you do in live action. And you could preserve the art style of iconic story arcs.

DouglasDanger on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But cartoons are for children

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »

The Hulk doesn't look great outside of the comic books thought, he never has and even with the recent films he didn't. The look is very old and out of place amongst other things, which is why I say put him in an alien environment, give him the cool weapons and armour like in Planet Hulk, make him look like a kind Barbarian warrior rather than a big green brute.

That would be the best way I think, take him out of the normal world and put him in an alien world. Then you can have a great fish out of water feel because Banner/Hulk is a human amongst aliens, and you can actually have character progression in the series because in Planet hulk you actually see the Hulk grow from a savage brute into a King and then into the coldly furious Green Scar. That range it not something that has really been in any other Hulk story. Plus in later seasons you can have the return to Earth, World War Hulk, the arrival of Hulk's sons etc, all of which are in canon and actually show a much more tv show like rate of progression, whereas normally comic books are much slower.

Ya I'm with Scotsman... he looked pretty damn good in the last Hulk movie. Being a giant CGI character, ya, he'll always look a bit outta place but I was certainly buying it!

Plus he also looked great in the first Ultimate Avengers movie and in the Hulk vs series.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I read the Deadpool script and it's good, pretty much everything that you would want out of a Deadpool movie.

But I seriously don't think it's ever going to be made. I mean, ignoring the whole 'will he, won't he" thing with Reynold, this is a very hard R rated movie with humor that is one moment black and explicit, and the next slapstick and looney tunes like. Plus while they did figure out a way to show plenty of Reynold's mug, a lot of it is either behind heavy make up or mask, which judging from all three Spiderman movies, the studio just loves

noir_blood on
    edited October 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So I read the Deadpool script and it's good, pretty much everything that you would want out of a Deadpool movie.

But I seriously don't think it's ever going to be made. I mean, ignoring the whole 'will he, won't he" thing with Reynold, this is a very hard R rated movie with humor that is one moment black and explicit, and the next slapstick and looney tunes like. Plus while they did figure out a way to show plenty of Reynold's mug, a lot of it is either behind heavy make up or mask, which judging from all three Spiderman movies, the studio just loves

Oh I bet you its made. Everyone involved has sounded legit thrilled about it. Add that too the fact Deadpool is a fucking cash cow and I'd put my money on it being made.

Will it be R? I highly doubt it. I bet they carve the script up and make it PG13.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    edited October 2010
    Shit, that's terrific.

And I just looked up the episode and realized it aired Friday.

D:

Munch on
    edited October 2010
    Missing Brave and the Bold is the worst part about not having cable.

Cartoon Network has shows online, of course, but it appears that they're two weeks behind. Right now they have the Doom Patrol episode up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Missing Brave and the Bold is the worst part about not having cable.

Cartoon Network has shows online, of course, but it appears that they're two weeks behind. Right now they have the Doom Patrol episode up.

That was still a pretty damn good episode.

B&B really has picked up as it's gone on. It seems like every episode just gets better and better, especially when the first season was kind of hit-or-miss.

I also missed this week's episode. I'll have to check it out when it comes online.

HadjiQuest on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I watched it, it was pretty good

It was more like the current Booster Gold run where he goes back in time to hang out with Beetle

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    lanternpowerbattery.jpg

don't like it. don't like it at all

Diablo Fett on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    lanternpowerbattery.jpg

don't like it. don't like it at all

That's because you are seeing it in the kitchen. The lighting is better in the living room.
    My parents used to have that stove.

Tomanta on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't like it now, but I can learn to like it.

TeaSpoon on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Between the lantern and the suit they are going for a very alien look it seems... I'm sure that this level of detail was necessary to make it look not so cartoony I guess. We'll see when it is a final product. (Although I feel the suit could have been a more uniform look ala the leather X-Men look).

cardboard delusions on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's like the Lantern contains the Matrix

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone else check out the new Avengers cartoon on DisneyXD? It looks pretty awesome. They've been running short 7-8 minute mini episodes that kinda set up the show, which premieres on Wednesday night. The show looks to have a huge cast, the animation is pretty good, and the writing has been spot on. I'm pretty excited that this could be Marvel's answer to the Justice League cartoons.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    custom_1287418543992_ryan.jpg

Bloods End on
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Did anyone else check out the new Avengers cartoon on DisneyXD? It looks pretty awesome. They've been running short 7-8 minute mini episodes that kinda set up the show, which premieres on Wednesday night. The show looks to have a huge cast, the animation is pretty good, and the writing has been spot on. I'm pretty excited that this could be Marvel's answer to the Justice League cartoons.

Ya I've seen all the mini episodes. While too early to judge, no, I don't think it will be as good as the Justice League cartoon.

1. The animation had strong moments, but for the most part seemed pretty stiff and blah. Compared to teen titans, young justice, and even Batman the brave and the bold... its very lacking.

2. Too kiddish. Yes its a cartoon, yes its mainly for kids, but for the most part justice league was dark, deep, and serious enough to make me sometimes forget that. So far there are no signs the avengers show will hit that feeling and tone.

Five minute episodes aren't enough to fully pass judgment, but I just don't see this show being equal to DC's top TV shows... YET. I'll still give a few full episodes a go.

Keep in mind I generally dislike DC... and this show had the Warriors Three kicking ass... so it wouldn't take much to win me over.

Wishpig on

edited October 2010
    Anywhere to see these online?

Robos A Go Go on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anywhere to see these online?

The Avengers micro-episodes?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MARVEL#p/c/91DCFFB7E3AEAB31/0/t7kO7J3ua9c

There's a playlist full of them, though the order is kinda wonky.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited October 2010
    Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a Helicarrier!

heli0.jpg
    heli1.jpg

Tomanta on
    edited October 2010
    How does that thing stay flying anyway? Anti-gravity drive?

Undead Scottsman on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Looks like the black part is actually a blimp. Plus the thrusters and turbines on the sides

MastaP on
    edited October 2010
    MastaP wrote: »

Looks like the black part is actually a blimp. Plus the thrusters and turbines on the sides

Unless that's some sort of super impenetrable blimp, that the DUMBEST idea for a flying warship in a comic EVER.

Undead Scottsman on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Unless that's some sort of super impenetrable blimp, that the DUMBEST idea for a flying warship in a comic EVER.

Well, it's not a comic.

MastaP on
    edited October 2010
    Here's a trailer for the upcoming Firebreather.

Despite being a fan of the comic, the fact that the Aeon Flux dude has a big hand in it, that Eric Canete did monster designs, and reviews have been pretty positive, I'm still not sold on it. I think I just have a bias against made-for-TV CGI. Nine times out of ten, I'd rather see traditional animation.

Munch on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I think it would be more of a zeppelin than a blimp, as a zeppelin has a rigid structure whereas a blimp is inflated.

Centipede Damascus on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also with all the crazy inventions in the MU i'd imagine they've invented some sorta bullet/laser proof, wafer thin material to make their zeppelins out of.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's a trailer for the upcoming Firebreather.

Despite being a fan of the comic, the fact that the Aeon Flux dude has a big hand in it, that Eric Canete did monster designs, and reviews have been pretty positive, I'm still not sold on it. I think I just have a bias against made-for-TV CGI. Nine times out of ten, I'd rather see traditional animation.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I really dislike the fact that he looks completely human in the movie. The fact that he looked like a dragon/human hybrid was a key element of the comic.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
    edited October 2010

Well, it's not a comic.

Sorry, comic-ish universe is what I meant.

I mean, real world, it's still a stupid idea, but when you have common thugs running around with high powered lasers and other advanced weaponry, it becomes several layers more stupid.

Undead Scottsman on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I mean, real world, it's still a stupid idea, but when you have common thugs running around with high powered lasers and other advanced weaponry, it becomes several layers more stupid.
    Except that it is impenetrable to those things because of some magic whatever thing.

The good part about silly comic things is that they can be used to assist suspension of disbelief as well as hinder it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Except that it is impenetrable to those things because of some magic whatever thing.

The good part about silly comic things is that they can be used to assist suspension of disbelief as well as hinder it.

That and how often do said villians randomly shoot lasers thousands of feet in the air.

cardboard delusions on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just watch out for Iron Fist, though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I just have a bias against made-for-TV CGI. Nine times out of ten, I'd rather see traditional animation.

I trust that Beast Wars and ReBoot both fit under the one time out of ten?

Delduwath on
    edited October 2010
    The Helicarrier does look like the military's most dangerous assignment. No guardrails, probably very high winds on deck. I wonder if you are required to wear parachutes at all time and hope if you fall off you avoid the propellers.

I guess you could use cables to anchor yourself to the deck, too.

Tomanta on
    edited October 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I trust that Beast Wars and ReBoot both fit under the one time out of ten?
    ReBoot yes, just because it fit the show. But Beast Wars? Nope, I'd have rather seen it done traditionally. The CGI let them do neat metallic effects and stuff, but the settings were always the same bland, rocky landscapes, and the characters looked really stiff much of the time.

That said, I understand that CGI is a lot cheaper than traditional animation, so if that's what it took for Beast Wars to get made, I don't mind.

Munch on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Helicarrier would make a fun model based off that picture heh ( I haven't done a model in forever, but now am searching for a helicarrier one rofl)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508