As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Costume quest- Get your costume on again with DLC planned for December!

AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJC1NSIQbn4

Costume quest is a helloween based RPG made by the fine folks at double fine. In it you play either as a boy or a girl as you try to save your kidnapped brother or sister and stop the monsters from stealing all the candy. How do you do that? Go trick or treating!

One of the interesting mechanics is that you can go around and craft different adorable costumes which turns into super awesome suits when you get in battle.

Check the official site for more info.

http://www.costumequestgame.com/

Giantbomb has a pretty damn awesome quicklook of the game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-costume-quest/17-3303/

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
Antihippy on

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kinda surprised there's no thread of this till now, or at least none I can find.

I can't buy it immediately but goddamn I want it soooo much. :(

Antihippy on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game looks awesome. Back when it was first announced it kinda looked like an adventure game, but I'm even more excited that it's a paper mario style rpg.

Also it's coming out tomorrow, holy crap!

Squirrel Rancher on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buying after I finish up with Kirby.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jeez. Combine this with Super Meat Boy and Fallout New Vegas and I'm going to have my hands full for a while.

SteevL on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, have we heard how many costumes there'll be?

I'm hoping for more than just what they list on the website, given that they all seem to only have 1 attack + 1 ability.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Epic Unicorn ftw!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited October 2010

I'm hoping for more than just what they list on the website, given that they all seem to only have 1 attack + 1 ability.

I hope so.

I don't really care though.

Unicorn all day.

Antihippy on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was gonna make a thread detailing what you do in the game once it came out, but this shall do just fine.
    Antihippy wrote: »

I hope so.

I don't really care though.

Unicorn all day.

They said eleven.

Also,

Guess what time of the year it is!

Kudos to THQ, whose marketing strategy is to shut the fuck up and let Tim and Tasha talk about their game. This is actually Tasha Harris's game. Tim Schafer just wrote the wacky, wacky dialog, and is taking a backseat to four of his aces for these upcoming four games.

Unfortunately, I've already heard people bitching "this is supposed to be a platformer like Psychonauts! That's all Tim Schafer is supposed to make!"

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Very stoked for this game. Do we know how much "content" there is going to be?

Spicy_Rev on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game looks amazing

If it's amazing enough I will shut up about how much Tim Schafer usually sucks

But yeah, been wanting more XBLA action RPGs for a long while now. This is going to comprise the other $15 for that XBLA deal (spent the first $15 on Comic Jumper)

UnbreakableVow on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

wtf man
    wtf

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't wait to buy!

In fact, what time does PSN update so that I can do just that?

Kid Presentable on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Literally buried under games right now but they can all wait behind this one.

So buying! Love the fact it is right in time for Hallowe'en too!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to be sure to check out the demo first to check that the gameplay hasn't been horribly cocked up, but the style has pretty much sold me already.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2010
    This game looks amazing

But yeah, been wanting more XBLA action RPGs for a long while now. This is going to comprise the other $15 for that XBLA deal (spent the first $15 on Comic Jumper)

If you don't count the Puzzle Quest esque games, I think the last one was Precipice of Darkness.

Gyromancer actually was good, until the game goes "Okay, now the real difficulty appears! SUMMON THE PENALTIES!" And the game becomes unplayable.

Cantido on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there a $$ amount?

Xaviar on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, this is out tomorrow?

Oh god. This and Vanquish and Meat Boy in the same week. It's too much.

[tiny]And maybe New Vegas, but despite my intense love for Avellone, I hated Fallout 3.[/tiny]

Monger on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks great and it will probably be very funny, but if the combat only consists of choosing between Attack or doing a mini-game powered Limit Break, I'm going to be very disappointed.

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2010
    The game is 1200 points.

For those who don't know, Tim Schafer is taking a backseat to his Brutal Legend Lead Animator, Tasha Harris. Formerly from Pixar, she set out specifically for the game to have the Pixar appeal. In other words, enjoyable to both children and adults.

http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2010/10/8/costume_quests_tasha_harris_reveals/

Her inspirations for Costume Quest include Earthbound, Labyrinth, Wind Waker, Miyazaki (Totoro), and her love for Halloween.

Cantido on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well... gonna need a 2400 point card. This and Red Dead Undead Nightmare are all I need this month. (Even though I'll be buying more than that. My wallet hates me.)

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm buying this tomorrow because I love Halloween and Double Fine. I was also fond of the Penny Arcade rpgs and the gameplay here seems fairly reminiscent.

Igpx407 on
    edited October 2010
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    I'm buying this tomorrow because I love Halloween and Double Fine. I was also fond of the Penny Arcade rpgs and the gameplay here seems fairly reminiscent.

I'm a Shadow Hearts and Mario RPG whore myself.

Hmm. Thread Title should say, "Watch out! Double Fine knows about Timed Hits!"

smrpg_00000.png

Cantido on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    I love Halloween.

I'd lime 'I love Double Fine' too but since I've only played Brutal Legend (even though it is easily in my top ten games list).

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Should be out now I think?

So far only complaints I've heard is that there's no manual save and little music.

Also, around 6-7 hours.

Antihippy on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ive gone onto PSN a couple times today. The game still hasnt appeared. Is there a specific time it's supposed to come up?

Lenore03 on
    edited October 2010
    PAL is 20th.

Antihippy on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    General consensus I'm getting from the comments from people who have played the PSN version is that it's really heavily geared towards kids in both story & gameplay (super easy & shallow).

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2010
    Seems like it. From what i've seen of the battle system it's pretty bleh.

But I don't really care honestly. I just want to wear my unicorn costume and go treat-or-tricking.

Antihippy on
    edited October 2010
    If you don't like this game, your are The Grinch. The Grinch of Halloween.

Just finished the demo and it is absolutely one of the most charming games I've ever played. Everything about it is adorable. The battle system doesn't seem to be deep at all, just very kid-friendly (incredibly large timing windows), but the dialogue definitely nails that "Pixar vibe" that Cantido said the developer was going for earlier, and the graphical style is very reminiscent of Wind Waker.

Can't wait to buy the full version on XBLA.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why can't Xbox Live Marketplace update at midnight? I need to be questing in a costume RIGHT NOW.

Sir Platypus on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wanna download this game now. Stupid XBLA.

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Seems like it. From what i've seen of the battle system it's pretty bleh.

But I don't really care honestly. I just want to wear my unicorn costume and go treat-or-tricking.

Tasha said that's what she was going for really. Appealing to both the DS toting children of the world and low key humor that adults will enjoy, ala Pixar.

Cantido on
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a couple of hours in and while it's not the most complex game, there is some variety brought in by the various costumes and the "battle stamps" which add a level of customization to the characters.

My only complaint, like someone else mentioned, is that there is no manual save. The only way to save is to complete a quest or, I think, receive a quest.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited October 2010
    I didn't see it available on the Marketplace this morning. Whatever. I'm too sick to play right now. I'll at least buy it when I see it.

EDIT

Wow, this is good. Tasha compares working at Pixar and Double Fine.

Cantido on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Private party area reserved for people with the FULL VERSION!"
    "Woah, that was meta..."
    "Hopefully the full game respects the fourth wall more."

Xbox version is up. Trippy little demo. Yeah, it seems really, really simple, but it also has a real lovely charm to it. I might consider picking it up.

The only bit that perturbs me is the framerate. It doesn't look like there's a lot going on here, but the game really chugs at time, and I'll be damned if I can figure out why.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited October 2010
    Dammit, I can't find the video of the intro. I need that quote from Wren about the meaning of Halloween!

Cantido on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    General consensus I'm getting from the comments from people who have played the PSN version is that it's really heavily geared towards kids in both story & gameplay (super easy & shallow).

Shallow gameplay worries me, but I always take comments about things being "geared towards children" with a grain of salt. Lots of people look at ANYTHING cell shaded/cartoony and immediately brush it off as childish.

There's probably a lot of subtle adult humour in there that is either going over their heads, or is being outright ignored.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    It's not some shitty Dreamworks film, if that's what you're implying

There's some vocabulary used that younger children might not understand, sure

But make no mistake, this game is absolutely geared toward the young'uns. God forbid I ever breed, I'm totally having my kid play this game as a "My First RPG" kind of deal.

UnbreakableVow on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buying either tomorrow night or Friday. I just bought Super Meat Boy, which is also awesome. It's been a long time since 2 XBLA games that I wanted came out on the same day.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The story seems a little juvenile, but man the dialogue is great.

After you beat the leader of the mummy gang, I talked to one of his cronies. I don't remember the exact line, but it was basically:

"Hey aren't you glad I freed you from your evil leader?"
    "Actually, Travis was the one who kept our violent tendencies in check."

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg