As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the Kralkatorrik encounter is not instanced at all. How does that work exactly? Is it a one time event? Or does he respawn after a given period of time? How does the game react if a player has killed him?

Are they implementing something similar to phasing, as seen in WoW?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is not Kralkatorrik, it is one of his lieutenants named "The Shatterer".

As for what happens if you defeat him, they've said he retreats. So you can't actually kill him.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    4/50 :(

I've had the stupid thing almost three years, too. I suppose that actually completing a campaign or two would probably help...

Frem on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah after watching that Gamescom video I see that he actually just flies away, after which an oversized chest seems to appear out of nowhere. But still, it would be somewhat cheap if similar encounters (ones that don't deal with the Shatterer) also ended similarly where the enemy boss just retreats after a while. They'll probably just restrict to huge bosses like him.

The idea of all these uninstanced events just fills with me with happiness. A problem I had with WoW and other MMO's I played was how static the areas felt. After you completed a certain area, there was nothing interesting about it.

The pacing of these events might be difficult to tweak however. It's possible that there will no be events at all at some points, or it's possible that areas outside cities just become in-jokes because of how commonly they are attacked by so many people.

finnith on
    edited October 2010
    With regard to pacing, I think there will more or less always be some sort of event going on in certain areas of each zone. Remember that events are chained, so completing an event will tend to open up new ones. It also means that it won't always be the same thing.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, they tend to be cyclical on-going wars that are never really "won."

When a side wins a battle it pushes the battle lines. Centaurs took this town, so now they're attacking the next one over. We took this town back so the centaurs retreated further into the wilderness.

And not all bosses are just about kill or be killed like the Shatterer appears to be. Some bosses come with the express purpose of wrecking people's day, destroying a bridge that players really like to use, for example. If you beat the boss then you have to attack their strongholds and weaken their forces or they'll just try again later, whereas if they win now you've got to deal with the messes they've made.

So I agree with Enig. Most likely something will always be happening, but what that is will depend on the players. If most players don't care about a zone, you'll probably find the place more typically in a state of chaos.

Jenosavel on
    edited October 2010
    3/50 D:

Does anyone wants to finish the Prophecies campaign with my Ranger (still in Post-Searing Ascalon looking for Prince Rurik, think I got to the Piken's Square quests)? I have yet to finish any of the campaigns because of my frustration with Henchmen (for Prophecies and Factions) and inability to find anyone to do them with (for Nightfall).

The character models in GW2 seem somewhat consistent (graphically) with GW1's. The environments in GW2 seem to be a huge upgrade however, which is a nice change after spending most of my time with GW1 in Post-Searing Ascalon. Did I mention I hate that place?

finnith on
    edited October 2010
    Should be able to get to Lion's Arch with henchmen, then get access to heroes for the rest. Except for the last 2 or 3 missions, it is all solo-able without much trouble, provided you are careful. Once you get to the Shiverpeaks (very soon) you are clear of post-searing Ascalon dreariness.

That said, I would help if I had time for GW1 at the moment :(

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you have multiple characters finish the storyline and all have the same 5 trophies\titles, do they all get separately counted towards your HoM?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »
    If you have multiple characters finish the storyline and all have the same 5 trophies\titles, do they all get separately counted towards your HoM?

No, only one trophy per account will get counted - if you have 5 characters that complete Prophecies, that's only one trophy for your account.

Geod on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »

I wish.
    D:
    All count only as 1.

Maou on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Toothy wrote: »
    Apparently, it is us Americans who changed "champ" to "chomp" in the 1600's. Learn something new everyday, Glal.
    Nah, Americans misusing English is nothing new to me. ;-)

Glal on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, um, anything new and exciting about GW2 in the past week or so? I haven't been paying close attention.

Melkster on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It has Charr.

REG Rysk on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh snap!

Waitaminute...that has nothing to do with how awesome Norn are...

Toothy on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    So, um, anything new and exciting about GW2 in the past week or so? I haven't been paying close attention.

No, but supposedly we're going to get something this week.

Geod on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    It has Sylvari.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2010
    Wednesday is their usual "info" day, or so it seems. Fingers crossed for something tomorrow.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited October 2010
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/18/guild-wars-2-hands-on-preview

Daily news update for GW2 for this week.

Maou on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So when's this game go into open beta or whatever?

I ask because I like the list of stuff 'that is gonna be in GW2' but I've also seen almost all of that stuff promised by this or that MMO and it wasn't there, so I'm really skeptical. But I'd love for it to be true! And the only way to know is to see it in the open beta. So any idea when?

Astale on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The second article, about dungeons, is also up.

reVerse on
    edited October 2010
    Furnace16-590x398.jpg

The Iron Lord in Sorrow Furnace.

Maou on
    edited October 2010
    Those are some great articles by PC Gamer. They do a great job of summarizing why this game looks to be awesome.

Melkster on
    edited October 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    So when's this game go into open beta or whatever?

I ask because I like the list of stuff 'that is gonna be in GW2' but I've also seen almost all of that stuff promised by this or that MMO and it wasn't there, so I'm really skeptical. But I'd love for it to be true! And the only way to know is to see it in the open beta. So any idea when?

Other than "some time next year", there's no way to know at the moment.

Regarding PCGamer's week-of-information, I'm not terribly excited about tomorrow at least. I don't care about Destiny's Edge, they seem pretty bland with the whole one-of-each-race thing going on. That will probably change when I actually interact with them in the storyline, but right now.. not so much. They are just characters. I want to know about game mechanics and such.

Best thing about today's article on dungeons? High-res concept arts! New desktops for me!

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The art for this game is so lovely <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The concept art is absolutely breathtaking. I hope whoever is producing these gets the credit he/she deserves.

Mandres on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I look forward to trying to kill gigantic iron constructs in that one instance. Sounds like fun.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I look forward to trying to kill gigantic iron constructs in that one instance. Sounds like fun.
    ##JanitorBot Main Loop
    while(true)
    {
       if(isAlone)
       {
          beginCleaning(thisRoom);
       }
       else
       {
          DESTROY(DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY);
       }
    }

Rend on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OP updating now with a new dungeon section which will be filled with more information as we get it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    reVerse on
    edited October 2010
    Flannum says “we look to a lot of other games, not just MMOs. You know, our down mechanic is a good example of a mechanic that clearly we gain inspiration from team based shooters like Left 4 Dead, and Borderlands, and things like that. We’re constantly looking at other games. We’re really big game players. We’re all always looking at ‘Hey, what other cool stuff are other games in other genres doing?’ not only MMOs. We certainly look at other MMOs. It’s really about gaining inspiration, and not just ripping that off straight, but seeing how it actually fits in your game with what you’re trying to accomplish.”

Awesome quote that other game developers (*COUGH* The Old Republic) ought to take note of.

Melkster on
    edited October 2010
    Flannum says “we look to a lot of other games, not just MMOs. You know, our down mechanic is a good example of a mechanic that clearly we gain inspiration from team based shooters like Left 4 Dead, and Borderlands, and things like that. We’re constantly looking at other games. We’re really big game players. We’re all always looking at ‘Hey, what other cool stuff are other games in other genres doing?’ not only MMOs. We certainly look at other MMOs. It’s really about gaining inspiration, and not just ripping that off straight, but seeing how it actually fits in your game with what you’re trying to accomplish.”

Awesome quote that other game company executives who govern the developers (*COUGH* EA) ought to take note of.

Fixed. And also highly unlikely to happen.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited October 2010
    "Whoever had ears to hear, let him hear [that you don't have to copy World of Warcraft to be a great MMO]."

Melkster on
    edited October 2010
    Amen.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unfortunately, Tony Danza is not actually a boss in GW2
    Crap.

naengwen on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    naengwen wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Tony Danza is not actually a boss in GW2
    Crap.

I take back every nice thing I ever said about anything ever. Especially Guild Wars 2.

REG Rysk on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay... despite the absence of Tony Danza I must admit, I am sold on this game. I never played the first Guild Wars, but I will be playing this one. Any guesses on a release date?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited October 2010
    I'm gonna guess November, 2011.

Melkster on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is easily the most anticipated upcoming MMO for me

SW:TOR is a distant second

And then there's not much else to be excited about :(

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    This is easily the most anticipated upcoming MMO for me

SW:TOR is a distant second

And then there's not much else to be excited about :(

WoW's Cataclysm, I guess. That's a thing. It's ok.

SW:TOR will be better, and GW2 will be the best.
    I'm gonna guess November, 2011.

I don't think it'll take that long. Latest I would say is sometime in the summer of 2011. Earliest would be roughly around the time SW:TOR is supposed to come out.

Shit's been in the oven for about 4 years now, and is still in active production. They had a playable product at PAX and Gamescon. I have many reasons to think that it will not be this time next year that it comes out or later.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.