As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A collaborative [chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    such a wonderful show. Horrible scares and wonderful sweet characters all in the same story.

Is it on Netflix?

I'll have to check.

CBS has most of it for streaming, though as I was saying to Zandracon, I really highly recommend doing whatever you have to to track down the 2-hour pilot (importing the DVD, finding a dodgy copy on a streaming video site, whatever).

I see that we are discussing Twin Peaks.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I played a robot that grabs people : (

I grabbed people : (

That should get : D not : (

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I gave people mana tonight.

: D

You are very good at making bars not empty : D

Man, I kept not running out of health or mana. At some point I had 2000 gold plus a couple of precursor items and I was like "oh yeah I should buy that rod of ages before it gets too late..."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nifty song comes up on the Doobie Brothers Pandora station. I tab over to give it a thumbs up. It's by Kid Rock.

Kid. Rock. Huh.

At least the fellow can croon.

Thumbs up. :^:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    and also I had a pretty humiliating but positive pug experience today. Was...am still trying to get a head for melee guys, and was practicing with Xin Zhao. Jungle Zhao to be precise. And I died on the first Golum because I popped my potion too late. And that set the tone for the rest of the game for my performance.

I apologized to the team and they all told me not to worry about it and lost the game cheerfully. And experiences like that aren't terribly uncommon, either.

As far as communities go, LoL as a whole is pretty okay, I think.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I melted minions and got in more assists than deaths, and hit 18 like a freaking rocket, even though we lost.

Satisfying enough.

Night folks.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've only played two rounds of LoL so far, but I gotta say I don't think I really care for melee.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MNC has a less pronounced slippery slope than LoL, yes.

If a game of MNC is close skill wise one teammate consistently not pulling his weight can easily lose you the game though.

Of course, in MNC you can be winning the whole game only to lose in OT. :P
    "Less pronounced" is a massive fucking understatement.

the random swings in MNC are also much more pronounced, especially late-game

which is really what makes the game awful to me. ultimately, if you're in a close match you're going to win or lose because the game decided to spawn four waves of creeps on one side and zero waves on the other. woo.

also the pubs are some of the worst people on this side of halo

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone needs to make a non-team based Half-Life mod, that play's like a completely over-the-top movie gunfight.

Weapons would be generally lethal, but instead of aim randomization, you'd always see exactly where the bullets were going to hit, it would just jitter based on what you were doing.

There's be single points for kills, but huge "style" modifiers if you happened to be doing something awesome along the way. So you'd get like, dozens of points per kill if you airborne while doing them, then a big multiplier if you landed without dying, and another multiplier for surviving a few seconds after etc.

EDIT: I'm thinking you also wouldn't want a respawn system. Rather you'd have people die, lie down for a few seconds and then get backup. The person who killed them would then be invulnerable for say, 30 seconds to their guns, and vice-versa, which would prevent camping and keep the pace fast.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nifty song comes up on the Doobie Brothers Pandora station. I tab over to give it a thumbs up. It's by Kid Rock.

Kid. Rock. Huh.

Ew!

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I loved Twin Peaks because it's one of the few TV shows that's effectively delivered the sense of a "realm beyond" for me.

Well, that and Coop is a fan-fucking-tastic protagonist.

Feral on

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've only played two rounds of LoL so far, but I gotta say I don't think I really care for melee.

Melee is not for newer players. It involves getting up close and personal, and thus taking more damage. Something I feared as a newer player and still do some what.

Eventually, though, you'll come to get used to it and be more confident when getting in their faces. Especially when you become more familiar with the builds and what not.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    such a wonderful show. Horrible scares and wonderful sweet characters all in the same story.

Is it on Netflix?

I'll have to check.

CBS has most of it for streaming, though as I was saying to Zandracon, I really highly recommend doing whatever you have to to track down the 2-hour pilot (importing the DVD, finding a dodgy copy on a streaming video site, whatever).

Netflix has the entire thing, including the Pilot. Added to the queue.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone needs to make a non-team based Half-Life mod, that play's like a completely over-the-top movie gunfight.

Weapons would be generally lethal, but instead of aim randomization, you'd always see exactly where the bullets were going to hit, it would just jitter based on what you were doing.

There's be single points for kills, but huge "style" modifiers if you happened to be doing something awesome along the way. So you'd get like, dozens of points per kill if you airborne while doing them, then a big multiplier if you landed without dying, and another multiplier for surviving a few seconds after etc.

If someone sees an explosion reflect off of your sunglasses that's twice the points but if your back is turned and you're walking away that's five times the points.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    James wrote: »

Kid. Rock. Huh.

Ew!

I loved Kid Rock back in 99, or whatever year, when he released Bawitaba. Then again, I was like 14 at the time. Music has not stood the test of time, but he definitely can write a decent song from time to time.

Only God Knows Why is a pretty good song off that same album.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Man, I kept not running out of health or mana. At some point I had 2000 gold plus a couple of precursor items and I was like "oh yeah I should buy that rod of ages before it gets too late..."

i've been taking clarity and have found that it pops often enough early-game that i can generally stay up

also, it gives mana to my nearby teammate

i guess it was nice having heal for an oh shit button, but it wasn't really keeping me up all that often anyways

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    CARDBOARD TUBE JAX, BITCHES

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

If someone sees an explosion reflect off of your sunglasses that's twice the points but if your back is turned and you're walking away that's five times the points.

10 times the points if you're walking away with multiple teammates.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ha! Digg has sent me an email to encourage me to sign in. I've not used that service since early 2006 at the latest. They must be getting desperate

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

Melee is not for newer players. It involves getting up close and personal, and thus taking more damage. Something I feared as a newer player and still do some what.

Eventually, though, you'll come to get used to it and be more confident when getting in their faces. Especially when you become more familiar with the builds and what not.

I think I just find champions with sliding roles challenging. Like, I do just fine with Shaco or Tryn or guys who are designed to do a certain thing. But when you start getting into Pants or Zhao my brain gets all :?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited October 2010

10 times the points if you're walking away with multiple teammates.

Points are awarded based on the length of the cigarette that causes the explosion in the first place.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

If someone sees an explosion reflect off of your sunglasses that's twice the points but if you're back is turned and you're walking away that's five times the points.

^ This.

Also things like "glass broken multiplier".

I think you'd also track how long someone was trying to scope in a target for a "badassery" multiplier.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

EDIT: I'm thinking you also wouldn't want a respawn system. Rather you'd have people die, lie down for a few seconds and then get backup. The person who killed them would then be invulnerable for say, 30 seconds to their guns, and vice-versa, which would prevent camping and keep the pace fast.

im imagining cs aimbots jumping up and down

James on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I loved Twin Peaks because it's one of the few TV shows that's effectively delivered the sense of a "realm beyond" for me.

Well, that and Coop is a fan-fucking-tastic protagonist.

I love how goddamn chipper he is at all times. Like the entire scene where Albert shows up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKtFdRcQwa8&feature=related

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

i've been taking clarity and have found that it pops often enough early-game that i can generally stay up

also, it gives mana to my nearby teammate

i guess it was nice having heal for an oh shit button, but it wasn't really keeping me up all that often anyways

I was playing Soraka. No need for heal/clarity.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Smoking increases your points modifier but you run the risk of permanent death and you have to wait until the next round.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

it can be hard to get into range and it can be hard laning and farming early-game, especially if you're getting zoned out by ranged characters.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Ha! Digg has sent me an email to encourage me to sign in. I've not used that service since early 2006 at the latest. They must be getting desperate

Yeah they really dugg themselves a hole.

• Options
    edited October 2010

Kid. Rock. Huh.

Ew!

I loved Kid Rock back in 99, or whatever year, when he released Bawitaba. Then again, I was like 14 at the time. Music has not stood the test of time, but he definitely can write a decent song from time to time.

Ew!

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Kid. Rock. Huh.

Ew!

I was surprised too.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

it can be hard to get into range and it can be hard laning and farming early-game, especially if you're getting zoned out by ranged characters.

Kayle was the first melee character I chose, and I couldn't play her at all. You do very well with her. So it's all about how you also want to play. I was hoping she was a get in there and do damage character, but she really isn't. Her ranged ability is her most powerful.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

Yeah they really dugg themselves a hole.

I bet sometimes they regret that choice of name

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    sorry passer, but i really do not like that song :P

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What song is that Passer? Youtube blocked at work.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I remember this one from high school, yeah. Good lyrics, somewhat.

I think I'm starting to like pop-y country music. o_O

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    heheheheheheheheheheheh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms

such a wtf moment

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    What song is that Passer? Youtube blocked at work.

All Summer Long.
    sorry passer, but i really do not like that song :P

Well if you don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd or Doobie Brothers, then I can understand you not liking it.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    that song can't stand a chance with someone who doesn't even like sweet home alabama

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah I'm not that far yet so I'll have to skip on that one.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One band/person who is irredeemable is Fred Durst/ Limp Bizkit.

This discussion has been closed.