As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What a horrible, horrible idea it was to wait for the hotel registration to pop up. I'll remember this for next year :/

Whats wrong with it?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • spyriousspyrious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last year we had 5 people road trip from MI in a single car and stayed at the Holiday Inn Brookline (2 queen beds for the couples, and a roll in cot for the one extra guy.) It was the cheapest option, and the rooms were average mid-scale hotel rooms. I would suggest it for anyone looking to save some money. The T is right outside the main entrance and easy to hop on.

This year, it's looking like our convoy might be 8+, so we're planning on renting a house for the weekend.

spyrious on
  • rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Whats wrong with it?

I suspect that would be that if you weren't regularly reloading the page on Thursday, a lot of the good rooms were gone before you got a look in. The Wednesday night (before the con) went terrifyingly quickly in the nearby hotels.

Of course, this is why you need a PAX London, to help reduce strain on the existing PAXes...

rnicoll on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rnicoll wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    Whats wrong with it?

I suspect that would be that if you weren't regularly reloading the page on Thursday, a lot of the good rooms were gone before you got a look in. The Wednesday night (before the con) went terrifyingly quickly in the nearby hotels.

Of course, this is why you need a PAX London, to help reduce strain on the existing PAXes...

But then I would have to fly to London for PAX. No wait, that could be awesome.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a rollaway is an option for 2-bed rooms at the Westin Waterfront? We have 3 people coming and would prefer not to double up.

pretty sure I saw somewhere that the rollaway is only an option for single-bed rooms. I doubt it's a strict policy, unless they just don't have the space. if it's really important, I'd definitely call the hotel and ask.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Everyone that's betting on having a rollaway, be sure to remember, the hotels don't have hundreds of these things and if everyone is requesting a rollaway then they're going to be in very short supply. Just something to think about.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • ValantineValantine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just booked at the Waterfront hoorah! we got one of the last double bed rooms.

Valantine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
  • ValantineValantine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know if a rollaway is an option for 2-bed rooms at the Westin Waterfront? We have 3 people coming and would prefer not to double up.
    dunno, but I booked a double bed for 3 of us so what I'm doing is taking a twin sized Aerobed. Love those things!

Valantine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
    edited October 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    Everyone that's betting on having a rollaway, be sure to remember, the hotels don't have hundreds of these things and if everyone is requesting a rollaway then they're going to be in very short supply. Just something to think about.

I've booked rooms of all kinds an managed to get rollaways. I think the real restriction is that they are first come first served. Some hotels will let you reserve them in advance, others won't.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't count on there being any rollaways left when you get to the hotel. You should be able to grab an air mattress and pump for not too much money, and as a bonus when PAX is over you still have it.

antherem on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    Don't count on there being any rollaways left when you get to the hotel. You should be able to grab an air mattress and pump for not too much money, and as a bonus when PAX is over you still have it.

Yeah, I just phoned the Westin Waterfront. Their policy is first-come, first-served for rollaways - no reservations ahead of time. Not sure exactly how many they have, but depending on mode of transportation it might behoove one to at least consider bringing along an air mattress if you're not arriving on Wednesday. I doubt by the time the ETA rolls into town there will be any left for us. Now I just have to figure out where/how to pack an aerobed along with my clothing, games, and BYOC....

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I just phoned the Westin Waterfront. Their policy is first-come, first-served for rollaways - no reservations ahead of time. Not sure exactly how many they have, but depending on mode of transportation it might behoove one to at least consider bringing along an air mattress if you're not arriving on Wednesday. I doubt by the time the ETA rolls into town there will be any left for us. Now I just have to figure out where/how to pack an aerobed along with my clothing, games, and BYOC....

There's bound to be a Walmart or a Walgreens in Boston where you can get an aerobed on the cheap if you don't want to bring one with you.

It's not a tumor on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last year a few of us stayed at the Lenox Hotel in the Back Bay area. It's right next to the library, about 1 mile from downtown.

Is anyone interested in staying in that area this year?

I'm talking to the staff of the Lenox and they're willing to hold a block of rooms for us for $159 a night. (1 queen or 2 double beds)
    It's a 4 star hotel and the restaurant and pub there are top notch. They had free wired and wireless internet in the rooms as well. The hotel is a ways from the new convention center, but it's near the train line and it's not far by cab. It's too far to walk at night, you'd want to take cabs back if you stay for the concerts.

If there's any interest, I'll get the room block paperworks started.
    PM me if you think you'd be interested...

macrogeek on
  • goldrangergoldranger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There's bound to be a Walmart or a Walgreens in Boston where you can get an aerobed on the cheap if you don't want to bring one with you.

There are several Walgreens, but Walmart does not exist in Boston. (Though there are some in the suburbs).

goldranger on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FYI looks like the Westin Waterfront is basically sold out of double-bed rooms, but still has 100+ single beds available.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FYI looks like the Westin Waterfront is basically sold out of double-bed rooms, but still has 100+ single beds available.

I just changed my reservation, so there should be one available for a bit ;)

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
    edited October 2010
    goldranger wrote: »

There are several Walgreens, but Walmart does not exist in Boston. (Though there are some in the suburbs).

It's a bit out of the way, but if you happen to travel from the North I remember there was a Walmart in Salem. It was quite along the way too and should not be hard to find.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • f0cusf0cus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If anyone's buying an air mattress, buy it from CostCo. CostCo's return policy lets you return anything, after any amount of time, no matter how much you've used it, so long as you have a receipt.

f0cus on
    XBox - Angry Cremepuff
    PSN - AngryCremepuff
  • ShadowWolf9ShadowWolf9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll be staying at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel.

Just got a two bed room for 4 people. $139/night. I'm coming from Upstate New York. Can I just take the Mass Pike through boston and get off somewhere near the Waterfront?

ShadowWolf9 on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll be staying at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel.

Just got a two bed room for 4 people. $139/night. I'm coming from Upstate New York. Can I just take the Mass Pike through boston and get off somewhere near the Waterfront?

Yes, you can take I-90 and get off just before the tunnel to Logan. I think it's exit 25 and it'll put you a block or two away from that hotel (and right next to the convention center). As long as you aren't going in during rush hour, you should be fine going straight in the Mass Pike way.

MTSonic11 on
  • runethomasrunethomas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yes! Staying at the seaport.

Does anyone know if the Seaport is within walking distance from the con? If not whats the parking situation at the center?

I stayed at the lenox last pax, and I didn't mind walking down the block.

runethomas on
    edited October 2010
    just a note in case anyone's not keeping an eye on the faq thread: friday's start time has been pushed up to 10am instead of 2pm. please make your arrangements accordingly. sure wish i'd booked a thursday night room.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited October 2010
    runethomas wrote: »

Does anyone know if the Seaport is within walking distance from the con? If not whats the parking situation at the center?

The reviews I read of the Seaport said it's about a 2-5 minute walk to the convention center, anyone else hear different? I also was staying at the Lenox last year and had a great time!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    runethomas wrote: »

The reviews I read of the Seaport said it's about a 2-5 minute walk to the convention center, anyone else hear different? I also was staying at the Lenox last year and had a great time!

2 minutes might be too short, but 5 minutes is about average. I'd venture more like 5-8 minutes. Not terrible at all really. At least the weather will be nice in March (maybe?)

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited October 2010
    Hopefully it'll be nice, last year is was snowing on Friday!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    That wasn't snow, that was a dusting. That didn't even accumulate. This year is two weeks earlier. If anything it will be colder and have more snow. Expect real snow this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    That wasn't snow, that was a dusting. That didn't even accumulate. This year is two weeks earlier. If anything it will be colder and have more snow. Expect real snow this year.

Oh joy.....o_O

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • RazorDRazorD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Coming from the UK where its snow here is usually pathetic, i'd quite like a little snow... My hotel is a 15 minute walk from the convention center though, across one of the bridges, so hopefully America is smarter than the UK and doesn't come to a grinding halt the moment there is a little bit of snow on the ground..

RazorD on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Depends on where in America you are. Places in the Northeast, like Boston, are usually prepared. Here in Cleveland, things don't come to a halt until we get 2 feet of snow. However, some areas, like Seattle, shut down at about 3 inches of snow.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010
    RazorD wrote: »

Coming from the UK where its snow here is usually pathetic, i'd quite like a little snow... My hotel is a 15 minute walk from the convention center though, across one of the bridges, so hopefully America is smarter than the UK and doesn't come to a grinding halt the moment there is a little bit of snow on the ground..

don't worry, boston has had march blizzards before, we can totally handle it. in fact, i think the city suffers more when we DON'T get a lot of snow and all the snow plows at the ready don't get any work.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • BlurrBlurr Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Just booked a single bed room at Westin Waterfront myself.

I'm pretty excited to be going again, but I did have an issue with the room booking. I wanted to stay the sunday night as well so I could leave monday morning at my leisure instead of the flurry sunday. Unfortunately they only let me book thu/fri/sat nights and not sunday. I find it odd that they have 100+ rooms (for single beds) left on friday/saturday but apparently 0 left for sunday night. Could this be just that they didn't add in rooms for sunday night on the block? What's my likelihood of getting them to let me stay the extra night at the same rate? (as opposed to the extra 80+ bucks it would cost to stay a night at the regular rate)

Blurr on
    edited October 2010
    Blurr wrote: »
    Just booked a single bed room at Westin Waterfront myself.

I'm pretty excited to be going again, but I did have an issue with the room booking. I wanted to stay the sunday night as well so I could leave monday morning at my leisure instead of the flurry sunday. Unfortunately they only let me book thu/fri/sat nights and not sunday. I find it odd that they have 100+ rooms (for single beds) left on friday/saturday but apparently 0 left for sunday night. Could this be just that they didn't add in rooms for sunday night on the block? What's my likelihood of getting them to let me stay the extra night at the same rate? (as opposed to the extra 80+ bucks it would cost to stay a night at the regular rate)

Thats because Sunday night was sold out of rooms in the block. They had a lot but not as much as the nights of the show itself.

BigRed on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Depends on where in America you are. Places in the Northeast, like Boston, are usually prepared. Here in Cleveland, things don't come to a halt until we get 2 feet of snow. However, some areas, like Seattle, shut down at about 3 inches of snow.

Oh man, I'm a New England boy, but went to undergrad in North Carolina. The ONE time it snowed, the entirety of Wilmington shut down from 1/2 inch of accumulated snow. It was hilarious.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    edited October 2010
    I hope it snows many feet just to spite moe.

BigRed on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We get the fun of dealing with yearly blizzards here in Denver but they're usually gone within a day or two. Does the snow actually stick around in Boston or is it gone by morning?

It's not a tumor on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    don't worry, boston has had march blizzards before, we can totally handle it. in fact, i think the city suffers more when we DON'T get a lot of snow and all the snow plows at the ready don't get any work.

Exactly. The only exception I'd say is the blizzard we had back in December of 2003. We had about 4 feet of snow in Salem in one nite and the national guard had to come dig us out. Don't worry, Boston would be able to handle the snow that would typically fall in March. Hell, last year's PAX there was barely any snow on the ground and none fell.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

edited October 2010
    We get the fun of dealing with yearly blizzards here in Denver but they're usually gone within a day or two. Does the snow actually stick around in Boston or is it gone by morning?

the general rule of boston weather is there is no rule. especially being march, snow could hang around for weeks of frigid temperatures or it could disappear the next day in warm sunny weather. expect the unexpected, folks.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bwahaha your concept of winter amuses me greatly.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've got a space at the Intercontinental and I'm expecting to walk to the convention center. Therefore, it's going to dump that weekend just to spite me. Granted, I love snow and a blizzard would make me terribly happy but it wouldn't make for a pleasant walk.

Just figured I'd warn everyone.

(Of course, after last winter down here, I'm prepared for anything.)

<Omicron-8643> on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll bring my leather coat, a thin pair gloves, and maybe a toque. I might skip the toque. Wouldn't want to overheat.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth