As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck airlines

2»

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd say the only thing that's really stupid here is that the treking agency took your reservation without taking your money up front and that you went along with it and then didn't bother paying. I've planned trips with good friends where I've had people flake out and leave me with the bill. Just think about trying to do that with total strangers. Their two-day policy may be silly but they were right in dropping you from the trip.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I might make a new thread, anyone know anything about Inca Trail hikes? It is $540 for the trek or I could just buy a trail pass for about $150 and go it alone, which I think I would prefer.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Actually reading all the emails I received it didn't say I had to do anything further to book a spot on the trek.

Also I have canceled airline charges before when I was in the military, my leave got denied a week before and I bought my tickets 4 months before, through my bank when the airline would refuse to refund the tickets.

The key phrase is bolded

In those terms and conditions, a lot of the time there is a military clause that says if woops you have to be someplace else then yeah, you can be refunded

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    Actually reading all the emails I received it didn't say I had to do anything further to book a spot on the trek.

Also I have canceled airline charges before when I was in the military, my leave got denied a week before and I bought my tickets 4 months before, through my bank when the airline would refuse to refund the tickets.

The key phrase is bolded

In those terms and conditions, a lot of the time there is a military clause that says if woops you have to be someplace else then yeah, you can be refunded

The airline refused, but the bank didn't. I know it is a different case though.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I might make a new thread, anyone know anything about Inca Trail hikes? It is $540 for the trek or I could just buy a trail pass for about $150 and go it alone, which I think I would prefer.

Do you really think that's worth making a new thread for?

Also, is going alone really a smart idea? No.

Suck it up and use the airfare voucher to go somewhere else on one of the MANY breaks they will give you during the school year. You're being a little over dramatic about this. You're not actually out any money, you just need to reschedule.

Esh on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The fact that they allow you to use the tickets any time over the course of a year is extremly generous on their part.

Usually it's just "screw you, better luck next time". So yeah, be thankful for that, and just plan a trip another time. What's the big deal?

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, actually, I don't think the airline has to do even that much if you didn't buy refundable tickets. The airline seriously did not screw you here. It doesn't mean that people don't get screwed by airlines, it just means that you are not currently one of those people.

Hopefully you've learned your lesson about booking this kind of trip. For the future make sure you know when you need to pay ahead of time. As far as how good some of these companies are, if I were bothering with a package I wouldn't use any company that didn't have lots of nice reviews for their staff and trails.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are you sure you can go it alone if you buy a trail pass? Peru is extremely restrictive with who they let on the trail and when.

adytum on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm pretty sure you're required to hire a team of guides and porters to hike the Inca Trail.

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh well I booked through another agency and I am waiting for the confirmation, this thread can be closed.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good luck, it'll be a great experience.

adytum on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hopefully you gave yourself a few days to get acclimated. The altitude makes it a lot harder than it sounds. Plus hiking up/down the Andes all day. Don't hesitate to chew some cocoa leaves with whatever other stuff they give you, it helps most people.

Cauld on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah nonrefundable means they will reschedule you on another flight, for like $150 fee. The airline didn't screw you here, but fuck them anyways.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
This discussion has been closed.