As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hardware eep

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    This is his way of saying he updated the MacBook Air.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Wow! Touchscreen iMac is inevitable. 10.7 is gonna start the transition to pure touchscreen computers.

Did you miss the part where Steve was saying touch surfaces need to be horizontal?

they're just going to keep riding the magic trackpad and magic mouse

That was about the Macbook. The touchscreen iMac patent just keeps resurfacing.

apple-touchscreen-imac-1.jpg

And that is gonna be horisontal.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    what are you talking about steve

what are you getting at

spit it out

Monoxide on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If it's a Mac netbook for $999-$1199 sold.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited October 2010
    this is the new macbook air

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    He's getting pretty worked up :O

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited October 2010
    13 inch? Boo.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2010
    Hah It's now the "Facetime Camera" instead of "iSight".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2010
    1440x900 is larger than the mbp by what 40x0?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    These are really good specs for a mobile device of this size. Like, really REALLY good.

But to be honest, this does nothing for me. I'd rather use the iPad.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited October 2010
    fun standby

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    hee hee 11.6 inch mba

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    11.6 inch

That is like an iPad with a keyboard :P

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited October 2010
    Sweet 11-incher. Priced right And I'll pick one up in the next month.

$1199 is not bad. Hmm.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2010
    ugh, 2gb memory base

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love the 11" model. I'm just not sure I see the need for it between my iPad and 27" iMac. I'm not sure what purpose it'd serve that one of those doesn't.

twmjr on
    edited October 2010
    there better be a way to kick the memory up a bit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited October 2010
    today, who couldn't see that coming?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    And its just like a regular Netbook. Didn't Steve say something about not being able to do real work on a small Netbook when they released the first Macbook Air?

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited October 2010
    Actually nevermind. I really like my optical discs.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2010
    And its just like a regular Netbook. Didn't Steve say something about not being able to do real work on a small Netbook when they released the first Macbook Air?

well, its a 1:1 keyboard, with a full sized trackpad. I've never seen a netbook with either, they always feel cramped.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited October 2010
    jesus phil schiller needs a dermatologist

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010

even when out and about? I'll be honest, I haven't used a DVD or CD in my mac in over a year; I sometimes forget I have a slot for it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Most netbooks are 7" or 9" and have shitty shitty shrunk-down keyboards/trackpads. These dudes have full-sized keyboards and the awesome Apple trackpads.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited October 2010
    haha, they showed a macbook air playing Assassin's Creed smoothly.

If it can do that, then wow.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Wow! Touchscreen iMac is inevitable. 10.7 is gonna start the transition to pure touchscreen computers.

Did you miss the part where Steve was saying touch surfaces need to be horizontal?

they're just going to keep riding the magic trackpad and magic mouse

Nah, just replace the keyboard/trackpad with another screen, make both of them touch-sensitive and blammo, KB/mouse dies.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I am kinda tempted by this thing, I'd like to pick up the 11.6" to replace my bulky 2008 plastic macbook that I've kinda grown to hate using

but i dunno, 1.4gHz with 2GB RAM sounds pretty slow

I'd probably be happier with an MBP

Monoxide on
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

even when out and about? I'll be honest, I haven't used a DVD or CD in my mac in over a year; I sometimes forget I have a slot for it.

That's really what it all comes back to though. I don't need a computer for "out and about".

Getting out of my house is my escape from technology.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2010
    I would pay monies to hear Jony Ive speak about anything.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    ow, that jazz outro sucked bad hard

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    They always do; Apple has a fetish for Linus and Lucy shit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited October 2010
    I'm a little worried about the App Store for OSX; they better be less draconian about what is allowed to get on there... part of the reason the current iOS app store works is because there aren't options... and if I as a developer can set up a website, and sell my app off of it for the desktop and get 100% of the profit, there better be a compelling reason to jump through Apple's hoops to give them 30% of the cut.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if I like where this whole "Mac App Store"/"Back to the Mac" thing is going.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What they showed I thought was impressive, but I felt disappointed by the event overall. I expected more from Lion, right now it's Snow Leopard + iOS overlays. I know we'll see more in the future, and I'm certainly excited about what we could see, but I thought there'd be something more drastic.

Regarding the Air, it looks great but I have some complaints. I hate the taper/wedge shape. I'd love a flat brick like the iPhone 4 or iPad. I think it's underpowered. I know it's a decent price for the engineering, but we should be moving away from Core 2 Duo processors, and the RAM could use a bump.

I know SSDs are small, so the 64GB base model would not have bothered me much but that's because I really expected a significant cloud storage option. Apple needs to make Mobile Me free, and bump up the iDisk space. It should be simple like Dropbox and work on all Apple devices, as well as Windows.

And lastly, the App store. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I think it's great, you can load this up and search for apps and the auto-update feature is something to be appreciated. On the other hand I think the 70/30 cut is a bit silly on a desktop OS. Either the prices will be higher than if you just went to the developer's website, or the developer takes a hit and might decide not to release through the app store. Maybe the situation arises where they release Lite apps, with a link to the full version website in the description, bypassing the app store. You'd still get the exposure but it does create an extra step.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mac App Store?

hahaha, after all of the promises that they weren't going to do that... if they end up locking out devs and requiring approval to release mac apps, that's the end for me. I'll sell my Mac Pro and switch back to a PC.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if I like where this whole "Mac App Store"/"Back to the Mac" thing is going.

I really do miss the days when I could say I was a Mac user and get funny looks.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It took all my strength to stay awake during that. What a snoozefest.

Rothgarr on
    edited October 2010
    Mac App Store?

hahaha, after all of the promises that they weren't going to do that... if they end up locking out devs and requiring approval to release mac apps, that's the end for me. I'll sell my Mac Pro and switch back to a PC.

They did say right out there that it will not be the only way to get apps on a Mac, just the easiest.

I assume that it is as open as it's always been.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited October 2010
    Are you supposed to download the iWork trial to get the Facetime Beta, or did Apple fuck up the link?

http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277