As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I like that he's the kind of guy to get excited at a damn fight, nothing worse then when you see someone front row looking like someone just farted the whole time.

To be fair to the rest of the crowd, their guy just got KO'd. Can't really expect them to be cheering about it.

The whole crowd thing makes it hard for me to like Dream. I mean I LIKE Dream but it's so weird the crowd seems SOOOO quiet all the time. I know it's a cultural difference but the crowd really brings something to the fights (for me at least) oh and they also don't have Joe Rogan, having Joe Rogan doing commentary makes every fight better.

Dream's in the middle. They don't get as hyped during a great fight, but they don't also turn into jackasses during a mediocre fight, or start booing just because their hometown favorite lost. Personally I'd rather take the lower decibels of the Dream crowd if it means not having to put up with the Just Bleed folks.

BubbaT on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Oh god, Robert Downey Junior is a chunner.
    Oh god, Peter Ebel is a sherdogger.

I'm sure RDJ and Jude Law also trains in Bartitsu.

I wish I was enough of a gentlemen to train Bartitsu.

DREAM's crowd lacks energy but they're very respectful, and when shit gets real they go nuts too.

doug_grammar on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Finally got around to making a US account and downloaded the EA MMA demo.

Initial impressions: Bobby Lashley is a takedown-spammer with the magical ability to stop the animation of my kicks and the g'n'p is... let's say without feedback. One second I'm punching a dude, the next he's just unconscious. No getting hurt or anything, just fine or fucked.

It got a good review at GiantBomb, though, so I'll probably tool around with it some more.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Also, on the heels of Bones saying he wouldn't fight Rashad even if Rashad wins the LHW belt, as well as previous nonsense like the AKA stuff and Silva-Machida, Dana White is talking about a new standard clause in UFC contracts that wouldn't allow fighters to dodge their buddies/teammates.

Frankly, I'm surprised no one has used the friend/teammate excuse strategically yet. For instance, Edgar has to realize Maynard is a bad matchup for him. So Frankie should just go "I like and respect Gray too much to fight him again. Instead, (some lesser fighter) should get the title shot, because I don't like him."

*cue all AKA fighters getting fired again just like with the video game likeness mess a year or two ago*

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i'd be ok with that
    cain is the only aka fighter i actually like

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BUWHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    Way to get choked the fuck out in 20 seconds by Guillotine choke by the guy who only does Guillotine chokes. Oh and then you say "I'm still one of the most talented fighters here" Congrats asshole. You did as well as I would have in that fight

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    edited October 2010
    Cody McKenzie wins with ANOTHER guillotine.

That was hilarious. Anything that makes Koscheck angry is good for me.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That was the best fight.

Also, GSP continues to be the best person ever.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited October 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    That was the best fight.

Also, GSP continues to be the best person ever.

Yeah GSP is pretty much the best ever. I'm sorry if I ever said a bad word about him

Metal Jared on
    edited October 2010
    Wow!

Dana "That was some sick Jits"

A great night for team GSP, win by Guillotine and a win by Rear Naked Choke.

I guess GSP was right when he said he was a really good fighter

Metal Jared on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow. I didn't even really notice Brookins before, but he was slick in this fight. He seems like a really nice guy, too. If Stevens is little Koscheck, then Brookins is little GSP.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited October 2010
    ChillyWilly on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, I loved that TUF.

I am an even bigger fan of Cody "Fisherman" McKenzie now. I heard he started his professional fighting in BC, Canada. His disrespecting of Kos. Waving off that hand tag and going in ready to put him off his stand up game, sweet. 20 seconds. I was out of my seat at home cheering with that sleeper finish. Again.

And also didn't really notice Jonathan Brookins but I reviewed his 2 round decision fight to get into the house roster and he fought very similar to this fight, oddly enough though he finished his choke attempts this time. He seems very centered where Sevak seemed to dial set permanently at aggressive, that RNC couldn't have happened to a better person - I can only hope he now regrets being all blustery looking past his next fight to Alex.

Don't you just love how many finishes, many by chokes no less, we have had with this season of TUF?

Only one more of my first impression favourites to go, come on Dane "Red Horse" Sayers! I am sure that first fight of his was nerves sapping his tank, I really hope the time with GSP and "Batman" has helped him conquer his nerves/stress, I am sure that guy has a lot more to show us yet. And so far he has remained below the drama radar, I think that speaks well of him, especially as a representative of his nation.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am having a seriously phenomenal time with EA MMA.

it's like all of the things UFC's game should have been

THIS is a Mixed Martial Arts game

You will not be disappointed.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God damnit guys...

I didn't watch the ep and now Chilly spoiled it for me...

*sigh*

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am having a seriously phenomenal time with EA MMA.

it's like all of the things UFC's game should have been

THIS is a Mixed Martial Arts game

You will not be disappointed.
    I ordered my copy using Slurpee points.

This game is delicious.

Guillotines are also delicious. Let's see how long he can keep that streak going.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I heard about that slurpee thing

but seriously dudes

go get EA MMA.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My god that guillotine was delicious. That little trick of his really works.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, so happy Koschecks team got destroyed this week. Cody lured him in incredibly well, and Brookins looked great, with that awesome suplex and great work on his back.

So who do we think will be the wildcards at this rate? I think Wilkinson has one sewn up. I would've gone Paige for the other but i doubt he can fight with a broken hand, so it'll probably be either Andy Main Jeff Lentz or someone from the last fight.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is Wilkinson English?

Also some notes from this last episode:
    I don't know how much of it is editing, but the Koscheck team seems full of assholes (outside of Nam).

Greg Camarillo seems like a douche from the exchange with MJ.

Savat and Psycho are like the same goddamn person. When they sit next to each other I'm not too sure who is who.

Even though I knew Cody's guillotine was going to happen, that was still so fucking awesome. Marc Stevens is such a little bitch/douchebag. I can't believe he said that Cody was the gigantic asshole in the house (he might be, but from editing Stevens seems way worse).

Brookins is a cool cat. Loved the shading of the opposite personalities before the fight.

I think Psycho wins, especially because I saw him in the AKA team panover when they were doing the Lesnar v Velasquez promo.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has...has Cody proved that this is, indeed, the Matrix, and he knows how to exploit glitches in the AI?

Shadowen on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Is Wilkinson English?

Yes, I actually know some of his training partners over here.

Venkman90 on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, Cody is the idiot savant of guillotines.

Edit: Bad news, Chris Leben got arrested for a DUI suspicion after a crash.Link

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, Cody is the idiot savant of guillotines.

Edit: Bad news, Chris Leben got arrested for a DUI suspicion after a crash.Link

4 deaths prompt Graco stroller recall.

D:

Also best TUF episode ever.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I just caught up on last night's TUF.

Koscheck does not have a single redeemable quality as a human being.

JustinSane07 on
  • BarbatusBarbatus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Best/most hilarious TUF episode. I almost couldn't stop laughing when Cody, the guy with 10 consecutive guillotine victories*, put Stevens to sleep with the guillotine in under 20 seconds.

Kos: Keep it standing, and don't stick your head into his guillotine.
    Stevens: I'm going to keep it standing, and not stick my head into his guillotine.
    Fight: Stevens goes for a takedown and sticks his head into Codys guillotine.

Also, on the UFC knockoff front; EA MMA has one big advantage over UFC. After training once manually you can auto-repeat that, and get the same results for as long as you want without boring mini-games or whatever. As bad as the rest of the game looks that one thing would be enough to get me to buy it, if only it would come out where I live. :cry:

*Now 11.

Barbatus on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck me, eleven guillotines in a row. I guess having one go to technique is a viable strategy.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone notice how Koscheck is, in pretty much every episode, commenting on another mans body and physique? And constantly acting coy and flamboyant when he tries to be funny or weird out GSP with gay jokes. The freudian slip when he said he wanted to motorboat GSP's ass was also hilarious

I seriously do think he's in the closet now :lol:

Anyway, good episode. Mr.Guillotine did what he does and guillotined his opponent in 20 seconds. It was hilarious to watch it unfold exactly according to his plan.

The weird looking kid who can listen to the cosmos looked awesome too.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    Anyone notice how Koscheck is, in pretty much every episode, commenting on another mans body and physique? And constantly acting coy and flamboyant when he tries to be funny or weird out GSP with gay jokes. The freudian slip when he said he wanted to motorboat GSP's ass was also hilarious

I seriously do think he's in the closet now :lol:
    no-homo.jpg

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    rainbows are awesome

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if McKenzie even knows how to box or wrestle. He's so effective with his guillotine.. close distance on him and you're going to sleep.

Punch? Zzz.

Clinch? Zzz.

Takedown? Zzz.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, you don't see (working) guillotines from sidecontrol that often, but Mckenzie did not just successfully use one from that position, he also put his opponent to sleep in seconds

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited October 2010
    He reminds me of Ben Henderson a lot.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Except IIRC, Ben Henderson's guillotine is more of a "pull your head off until you tap" kind of guillotine, whereas McKenzie's is a "lean on your carotid artery until you pass out" guillotine.

adytum on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Seriously, I broke out in laughter at Cody's guillotine. That episode could not have been any more perfect.

And Brookins... he fought Aldo before in WEC, didn't he?

DemonStacey on
    edited October 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Seriously, I broke out in laughter at Cody's guillotine. That episode could not have been any more perfect.

And Brookins... he fought Aldo before in WEC, didn't he?

Yeah. Brookins got to round 3 but Aldo pretty much dominated him throughout and ended it with a brutal finish

But Aldo does that to everybody

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Paul Sass vs Cody = Double Choke out.

Venkman90 on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That episode was so funny. I couldn't believe he was asleep inside 20 seconds against teh gullotine master. I burst out laughing at work.
    Neli wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't see (working) guillotines from sidecontrol that often, but Mckenzie did not just successfully use one from that position, he also put his opponent to sleep in seconds

Guillotines from side control are extremely difficult to do. Normally, if caught in a guillotine, an escape is to simply move yourself to cross-body side control. I didn't even know it was possible to finish a guy there short of using massive brute strength, which Cody obviously didn't do. He tied up the legs a bit so it was closer to a half-guard version, but that is still extremely impressive. I'm going to have to learn that version, I've never been a big fan of the regular guillotine.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck me, eleven guillotines in a row. I guess having one go to technique is a viable strategy.
    Fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 chokes once, but fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 chokes once, but fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times.

That's a great quote so it becomes the thread title:

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

Metal Jared on