As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Mouse?

Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then?Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
I used to have a Logitech MX Revolution.

It looked at acted great!

However the left mouse button has worn out and it now doesn't click things it double clicks everything, which makes it super annoying so I'm in the market for a new mouse.

Things I think are awesome.

Wireless
Lasers
Clicky scroll wheels, I really don't like smooth scrolling

Things that are pretty cool.

Mouse wheels that have that left and right stuff. I like to map those to change windows in web browsers and it's super neat.
A spare scroll wheel, just cause.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Blake T on

• Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You pretty much just described Razer mice.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Logitech MX518's are pretty much all I buy.

LoneIgadzra on
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You got two choices:

Plain:
    200613123021976.jpg

or fancy:
    123950-Gadget32-Intellimouse_b.jpg

Falken on
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How nice are Razer mice? I've never seen or touched one

Coming from a Logitech MXblahblah with an asston of buttons, do Razers compete? Do they have asstons of buttons because I really like buttons

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You are all off base. What the OP needs is one of THESE

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've just bought a Roccat Kone + to replace my beloved MX1000. It arrives tomorrow so I'll know soon if it was worth the cost...

Edit - Holy freaking shit this mouse is sensitive. I don't know how anyone can play with the highest sensitivity and DPI settings (up to 6000 - I can't stand anything higher than 1600).

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spudge wrote: »

Coming from a Logitech MXblahblah with an asston of buttons, do Razers compete? Do they have asstons of buttons because I really like buttons

I vastly prefer the feel of Razer mice to Logitechs, but I haven't found them to have the longevity of some other mice .I have a decade-old logitech WMO and a similarly-ancient Microsoft IME 1.1 that are still mostly functional, but one of my Razers developed a squeaky left-click after 2 years. My hunch is that you'll find some of their mice appealing if you prefer low-profile, ambidextrous mice to the hunchbacked ergo mice that populate Logitech's gaming range.

There are certainly Razers with a fucking retarded amount of buttons, if that's what you're into.

Critter on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Critter wrote: »
    Spudge wrote: »

I vastly prefer the feel of Razer mice to Logitechs, but I haven't found them to have the longevity of some other mice .I have a decade-old logitech WMO and a similarly-ancient Microsoft IME 1.1 that are still mostly functional, but one of my Razers developed a squeaky left-click after 2 years. My hunch is that you'll find some of their mice appealing if you prefer low-profile, ambidextrous mice to the hunchbacked ergo mice that populate Logitech's gaming range.

There are certainly Razers with a fucking retarded amount of buttons, if that's what you're into.

Yeah, Razer make fantastic mice that don't seem to last very long at all. I've just recently had to fall back on to an 8 year old intellimouse explorer after my 3 year old Deathadder started being really flaky with the left-click.

While it was working properly it was fantastic, it's just a shame that they don't have the longevity of Logitech / Microsoft mice, and a shame I can't afford to replace it.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I also sugest just soldering in a new tact switch. They cost, like, nothing.

Falken on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just got my G500 and it's not only the BEST laser sensor in existance (techinically speaking), and also like having my hand orgasm the entire time.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

What in the... that thing looks like it can take off a finger...

As for razer mice, I can vouch for the feeling. One of my friends has one (not sure which, but its wired) and it felt great. Your hand is snug and the movement is surprisingly smooth. However, I can't say anything about how long they last.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

that thing looks likes the fucking batmobile, sign me up!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited October 2010
    Do you play games much? Side thumb buttons are my favorite feature in a mouse, for voice chat.
    Falken wrote: »
    or fancy:

ugh those fuckers are so cheap. I accidentally hit the side buttons like half the time I simply set my hand on it and it is light as a feather in the "made from the cheapest plastics imaginable" sense. I bought it to replace a mighty mouse and I'm honestly torn as to whether to stick with the mighty mouse sometimes.

Unless what I actually bought was a shitty $20 variant that looks exactly the same.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited October 2010
    Do you play games much? Side thumb buttons are my favorite feature in a mouse, for voice chat.
    Falken wrote: »
    or fancy:

ugh those fuckers are so cheap. I accidentally hit the side buttons like half the time I simply set my hand on it and it is light as a feather in the "made from the cheapest plastics imaginable" sense. I bought it to replace a mighty mouse and I'm honestly torn as to whether to stick with the mighty mouse sometimes.

Unless what I actually bought was a shitty $20 variant that looks exactly the same.

They're not really fancy at all

My wonderful g500 is the best, though.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • reaper234reaper234 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TBH: I use a razer deathadder and I have been using it for a long time. I really find that it is one of the best mice out there.

reaper234 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AntaresCDAntaresCD Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I've used the Logitech Trackman Wheel and it's prior versions for over 12 years. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/166 They are very durable and I've never had a problem with them. Not everyone likes trackballs, but I've always found they give a lot of control once you're used to them (bit of a learning curve for some people). They also seem to be easier on your wrist and you never have to do that stupid pick the mouse up and recenter deal like you do on standard mice. They make a cordless version, a newer version with extra buttons, and one shaped differently for a different hand resting position.

AntaresCD on
    My code doesn't have bugs, it has undocumented features!
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    razer mice have pretty shitty quality, I'd vouch for a logitech g500 probably. I'm still using my mx518 though, great mouse

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a Razer Orochi, but I've only had it for about a year, can't attest to the longevity. However, it's easily the best mouse I've ever owned, feels tight and solid in my hand.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited October 2010
    I have a Razer Orochi, but I've only had it for about a year, can't attest to the longevity. However, it's easily the best mouse I've ever owned, feels tight and solid in my hand.

:winky::winky::winky:

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I loved my Razer Copperhead, and bought one for my brother and he loves it too. Now I use a magic mouse which is also awesome but not great for games (scrolls through weapons and stuff too easily, and it happens when I don't intend to.

Wezoin on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My Razer Lachesis is still going strong. Wiring up Macros for it too is simple and simply awesome when the buttons change functions automagically when I swap games and programs.

Plus 4,000 dpi is amazing.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bought a Razer Deathadder about a year ago and really love the ergonomics/rubberized material that runs along the surface of the mouse. The sensor isn't a laser (it's actually infared) but at 1800 or 3500dpi it works really well for gaming. I also really like the larger-than-normal scroll wheel, which lacks any smooth-scroll bullshit.

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
    edited October 2010
    My Razer Lachesis is still going strong. Wiring up Macros for it too is simple and simply awesome when the buttons change functions automagically when I swap games and programs.

e5f8d727db6d0afef09c5261d4806b52.jpg

6,000 dpi, mo'fo.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rohan wrote: »

6,000 dpi, mo'fo.

What mouse is that?

Wezoin on
    edited October 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

6,000 dpi, mo'fo.

What mouse is that?

The Roccat Kone Plus, a ridiculously awesome mouse.

Rohan on

• SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just cannot get enough of my corded MX518.

It's hands-down the best mouse I've ever used, and I've used a fair amount of mice. Good for everything from gaming to drafting in AutoCAD. Probably comes as a cordless, but I could be wrong.

Senshi on
    edited October 2010
    Senshi wrote: »

It's hands-down the best mouse I've ever used, and I've used a fair amount of mice. Good for everything from gaming to drafting in AutoCAD. Probably comes as a cordless, but I could be wrong.

Yeah I can't complain. Can't really seem to find anything better for $40, though I might prefer something wireless for my laptop due to shortage of USB ports. (But I can't seem to find any bluetooth mice that aren't exorbitantly priced or completely shitty and with the buttons I want.)

LoneIgadzra on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Senshi wrote: »

Yeah I can't complain. Can't really seem to find anything better for $40
    Amazon currently has a G9X for $39.99 after MIR.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited October 2010
    G9X looks look good on paper, but I can't even begin to tell how it would feel from the pictures. It doesn't look like you can even hold it.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited October 2010
    G500!!!!
    G500!!!!
    GAAAAHHH

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've had my Razer Deathadder for about a week or so. It's pretty much as good as my G5, so that's good. Actually there's no difference between the two as far as I can tell. I've stuck with 1800dpi because I can't really see a reason to use 3500. It glows blue, and the rest of my computer glows blue too.

NET WIN.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2010
    G500!!!!
    G500!!!!
    GAAAAHHH
    That is my current mouse, and I <3 it.

I picked it up about this time last years for $47 since my previous mouse had scroll wheel problems (sometimes either failing to scroll or scrolling twice for each physical "click", which are both bad things when you're trying to switch weapons) and the feet were worn out.

FWIW, the G500 and G9X share the same sensor.

Barrakketh on
    edited October 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Can't say as this ever seemed very important to me. It seems like most mice are basically "good enough" these days. I never crank my MX518 to the max (or change it off the middle setting at all really, not sure what the point of that is) and I haven't encountered an optical mouse that actually skipped when moved quickly in a long time.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited October 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Can't say as this ever seemed very important to me. It seems like most mice are basically "good enough" these days. I never crank my MX518 to the max (or change it off the middle setting at all really, not sure what the point of that is) and I haven't encountered an optical mouse that actually skipped when moved quickly in a long time.
    That can actually bite you in the ass. Basically all of Razer's laser mice suffer from negative acceleration and z-axis lift-off problems, and that is a result of the sensor they use (Philips TwinEye). Every mouse that uses TwinEye sensors exhibit the same problems, so being able to research those mice and exclude troublesome ones is a good thing. Sticking to Razer's optical (Infrared/Infrared 3.5G as they advertise them) are a safer bet.

The sensor in the G500 (Avago ADNS-9500) can actually track really well on glass. Here are the results on the same mouse pad that I use:
    GPadAll.gif

The MX-518 starts having trouble shortly after "2" on the horizontal axis, and the G500/G9X handily beat out the rest of the competition (including the much more expensive Mamba). Note that not all mouse pads are the same, so here are the same mice on a SteelSeries I-2 (a.k.a. IceMat):
    I2All.gif

As for cranking up the sensitivity, I play with in-game sensitivity set to the minimum when that is an option (for Source engine games it is at 1) and the mouse at 3300 DPI.

Barrakketh on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the MX518 has been superseded with newer models for several years now people

G5 v3
    G500

there's no point recommending the MX518.

if you want to use some kind of "save $2" argument (if it even is any cheaper than a G5v3), then why not just settle for an original MX500 or MX510?

Deusfaux on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some people also prefer record-players Deusfaux. Gonna recommend Ipods to them?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Some people also prefer record-players Deusfaux. Gonna recommend Ipods to them?
    Apples and oranges. Not only do records actually sound different than digital music, the players for them don't really quality as portable (certainly not in the "fit in your pocket" sense).

Telling someone that there is no difference between an MX-518 and newer mice like the G5 or G500 so they should buy the MX-518 is like telling someone that there is no difference between the original iPod Touch and the 4G version. Sure they both play music and video, but the 4G has better battery life, a faster processor, HD video recording, etc.

Barrakketh on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    dunno, I got my mx518 for about €20
    can you get a g500 for that?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited October 2010
    If price is your major concern when buying a mouse, you're doing it wrong.

It's the fucking point of contact between you and the pc, damn it. It's not worth skimping on.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If price is your major concern when buying a mouse, you're doing it wrong.

It's the fucking point of contact between you and the pc, damn it. It's not worth skimping on.

Yeah, I've never understood having a powerful gaming system but pairing it with a bad display or input device, since you're always experiencing those.

That said, logitech has fine gaming mice, though I personally prefer razer.

Ego on
    Erik