As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Well, in terms of the iPad's keyboard, it looks fuckdiculous. Wtf were they thinking having it be Portrait rather than Landscape?

The keyboard works in either orientation.

Then why the fuck do they always show it in Portrait? I thought that had to be the way it worked, because it looked waaaay too fucking stupid for them to always show it like that if it didn't have to be.

My mind is blown by that choice.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Well, in terms of the iPad's keyboard, it looks fuckdiculous. Wtf were they thinking having it be Portrait rather than Landscape?

The keyboard works in either orientation.

He is talking about the keyboard dock. The one that plugs into the dock port on the bottom of the iPad; without a 30pin extension cable and some jury-rigging, it really is only portrait.

That said, a Bluetooth keyboard and an easel is a much better option, and lays flatter in your bag than the iPad keyboard dock.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Plus the bluetooth keyboard works with nearly every other apple comp now.

Speaking of bluetooth peripherals; why do "wireless mice" sold by everyone except Apple still use proprietary dongles instead of Bt?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Sony Syndrome: if it ain't proprietary it ain't worth making

...Which is downright retarded. Corded peripherals ftw, though (but that's just me).

Senshi on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    You know, it would be cool if the keyboard dock worked in Landscape, but I can't think of any situation where I'd actually want to use the keyboard in landscape rather than portrait. I guess SimpleNote has a nice landscape mode and the email UI is better in landscape, but those are quick, one-off situations where it's probably easier to use the onscreen keyboard anyway.

Really, I think using a keyboard on the iPad is a lot more difficult than using the on-screen keyboard unless
    you're actually sitting down to type a long document (which you'd probably want to do in portrait anyway). Jobs is right when he says touching a screen in front of you is awkward, and it's even moreso when your keyboard can't really handle any functions or navigation aside from literally inputting text.

You can't tab around fields, you can't highlight text to copy/paste it with cmd+v/cmd+c. You can only do the same thing the onscreen keyboard can, which means you're going to be picking your arms back up to touch the screen a lot more often than you'd want to.

Monoxide on
    edited October 2010
    Wait, you can't use the arrow keys or tab if you connect a Bluetooth keyboard to an iOS device? That seems pretty un-Apple.

Senshi on
    edited October 2010
    Maybe you can in Pages and/or Safari? I couldn't in iCab with my Apple bluetooth keyboard.

also iTeleport can't handle cmd/ctrl/alt input, which they really need to add support for considering they're rather important when VNC'ed into a desktop.

Monoxide on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    To be fair, as long as it doesn't stop me doing the shit I already do (which it won't), I welcome it with open arms.

The only path that disturbs me is this one:

Lion comes out, has fullscreen mode for all apps, and Command Center to switch between things, along with gestures.

The app store starts selling apps that are somewhere between iPad and desktop in terms of functionality, with a full screen mode as the default, with window mode as an afterthought, or worse yet, a fullscreen mode in a window.

OS11 makes the fullscreen mode the default for the OS, and the Magic Trackpad / Magic y Mouse becomes an essential part of the OS experience, with 3rd party mice needing to incorporate touch gestures or GTFO.

The final step in this will be the non-lock locking in of apps through the app store. They will never stop the ability to install your own apps and develop on the Mac, but the 90% of the user base who buy macs because they "just work" will probably never buy ANYTHING outside of the app store, making it the defacto way to get stuff out there if you actually care about making money.

It is leading me to concern a little bit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Something I've always wondered, is it possible to get the whole package from other laptop manufactures for much less? I've seen lots of comparisons, but there always seems to be a few key design/ease of use features missing.

noobert on
    edited October 2010
    noobert wrote: »
    Something I've always wondered, is it possible to get the whole package from other laptop manufactures for much less? I've seen lots of comparisons, but there always seems to be a few key design/ease of use features missing.

Nobody out there is as forward-moving during their computer design as apple is at the moment. The hardware to battery ratio of this thing, the unique motherboard that allows for the design, and putting some graphics a bit more substantial than an atom alongside the processor on a laptop ithis size category... This is all new territory.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Speaking of bluetooth peripherals; why do "wireless mice" sold by everyone except Apple still use proprietary dongles instead of Bt?

Logitech makes at least one bluetooth wireless mouse (bluetooth travel mouse) - it's got a great range (i use it from across the room when I'm streaming Netflix from my laptop to my TV), but I wouldn't do precise gaming with it (FPS, Starcraft). Something like Civilization would be fine.

KalTorak on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

Nobody out there is as forward-moving during their computer design as apple is at the moment. The hardware to battery ratio of this thing, the unique motherboard that allows for the design, and putting some graphics a bit more substantial than an atom alongside the processor on a laptop ithis size category... This is all new territory.

I do like the Apple approach of stripping out everything but the essentials when it comes to components (first the battery housing, now the SSD stuff). Although it does make it less user-adaptable, most of the time I'm not going to be digging around in my laptop the way I would with a desktop.

At this rate though, it seems like pretty soon Apple is going to get to the point where laptop RAM sticks are just too big.

KalTorak on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Well, no one really has the gestural mouse hardware that Apple does, so it's hard to compare apples and apples. It probably comes down to what you value in a product as the "whole package."

Can you get a netbook with more storage? Yes.
    Can you get one with an SSD? Yes.
    Can you get one with an optical drive? Yes.
    Can you get one with the same amount of RAM? Yes.
    Can you get all of this for a much lower cost? Absolutely.

Apple is the master of intangibles, though. You can do all the above, but you still won't have a computer running a full version of OSX, or an HD display, or have the product integration that Apple so fluidly has, or has the design aesthetic that Apple has.

So what matters to you, cost or something else? Because Apple is full of something else.

Atomika on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, you can't use the arrow keys or tab if you connect a Bluetooth keyboard to an iOS device? That seems pretty un-Apple.

Any app using standard text input fields supports arrow keys, tab, etc. Hell, there's even systemwide support for emacs-style Ctrl+a/e/f/b cursor navigation, just like OS X.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like the idea of a $999 Macbook Air. That'd actually be pretty great for work as long as I could get some sort of USB -> Ethernet adapter for troubleshooting.

Everything they showed for 10.7 has me disappointed though. I'm hoping they've got more to show off. Honestly, I just want more backend work and for them to work on the admin tools, ARD, etc.

I mean, ARD hasn't had a real, new release since friggin' August 2009.

FF on
    Huh...
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Well, no one really has the gestural mouse hardware that Apple does, so it's hard to compare apples and apples. It probably comes down to what you value in a product as the "whole package."

Apple is the master of intangibles, though. You can do all the above, but you still won't have a computer running a full version of OSX, or an HD display, or have the product integration that Apple so fluidly has, or has the design aesthetic that Apple has.

So what matters to you, cost or something else? Because Apple is full of something else.

I call bullshit on the idea that you can find something that has the same specs at a much lower cost. Like I've shown you on the last page with the long post you have conveniently managed to ignore, you aren't going to find something with a C2D, SSD, and 4 gb of ram while still remaining small and cheap.

Also, give it a fucking rest with the goddamn optical drive. No popular netbook has one, its one of the easiest ways to tell if a laptop is a netbook or not. The damn things are too big to fit into the tiny ass form factor apple or anyone else wants for netbook sized machines.

So if a mystical netbook that has an actual core 2 duo or equivalent (aka not a Atom), and 4gb of ram, and uses a SSD that doesn't cost close to as much as a MBA, I'd like to see it.

ronzo on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Logitech makes at least one bluetooth wireless mouse (bluetooth travel mouse) - it's got a great range (i use it from across the room when I'm streaming Netflix from my laptop to my TV), but I wouldn't do precise gaming with it (FPS, Starcraft). Something like Civilization would be fine.

Also, a lot of those dongles use bluetooth but are intended for computers without bluetooth. Many of those mice can be connected to your computer without the dongle if you have bluetooth built into your computer. The dongle is just included as a 'if you need it', other than on the 2.4ghz wireless devices.

Wezoin on
    edited October 2010

I don't really think it's weighing cost vs. "something else", but rather the value you put on things that aren't hardware specs.

Personally, I think the "little things" add up far more when buying something like a laptop than the pure internal components. If I buy a Macbook Air, will I occasionally say "Hmm, maybe this CPU is a little too slow to run Logic"? Yeah, probably. But if I buy a 6 pound PC laptop with a tiny trackpad, it will always be too heavy to comfortably carry around or use in the lap, and it will always have an annoyingly small trackpad.

Besides, the real way to compare Apple laptop cost vs. comparable PC laptop cost is as follows:

Cost of 11.6" Alienware M11x - $949 (total: $950)
    Cost of 11.9" Macbook Air - $1199 (total: $1200)
    Cost of second 11.6" Alienware M11x after I trip over the non-magsafe power cord, ripping the first one off of the desk and shattering the LCD - $949 (total: $1900)

In the long run, the Macbook Air is obviously the cheaper choice.

Monoxide on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Macbook Air is the only way to run OS X as well, which to me and many others is a insanely major plus.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited October 2010
    The Macbook Air is the only way to run OS X as well, which to me and many others is a insanely major plus.

So I just got iLife 11, and I am going to put it through its paces tonight. While I was there, I messed around with the MacBook Air 11"... and if I didn't own an iPad, holy shit I would have bought one and left with it, giggling maniacally. It doesn't look like it should be real, it looks like fucking Sci Fi shit. It tapers so thin towards the Trackpad that I am just confounded by it.

I am just a little to pragmatic to buy it; there is no use for it in my life. But if you need a remote device that can code and whatnot, or you are a writer who brings a laptop to the coffee shop, this NEEDS to be your next device. Its just too damn cool.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited October 2010

So I just got iLife 11, and I am going to put it through its paces tonight. While I was there, I messed around with the MacBook Air 11"... and if I didn't own an iPad, holy shit I would have bought one and left with it, giggling maniacally. It doesn't look like it should be real, it looks like fucking Sci Fi shit. It tapers so thin towards the Trackpad that I am just confounded by it.

I am just a little to pragmatic to buy it; there is no use for it in my life. But if you need a remote device that can code and whatnot, or you are a writer who brings a laptop to the coffee shop, this NEEDS to be your next device. Its just too damn cool.

shut up syndalis

don't make me go buy one

:x

Monoxide on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »

shut up syndalis

don't make me go buy one

Agreed.

La la la. I'm covering my ears (or my eyes in this case).

I have both a Macbook and a Macbook Pro. When the time comes to replace them I'll likely pick up an iMac and an Air.

Rothgarr on
    edited October 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »

shut up syndalis

don't make me go buy one

Agreed.

I have both a Macbook and a Macbook Pro. When the time comes to replace them I'll likely pick up an iMac and an Air.

Just out of curiosity, why would you need a Macbook and Macbook Pro? I'm guessing the pro is one of the larger models and you use the Macbook as you would a netbook?

Wezoin on
    edited October 2010
    IMG_2626.JPG

11.6 MBA
    13 MBP
    15 MBP

Marginally smaller my ass

ronzo on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God damnit.

Good thing I'm totally broke. My non-existent money is safe.

Sarksus on
    edited October 2010
    Using X-Bench, we saw the 128GB model—the APPLE SSD TS128C—give the following numbers:

Seq Uncached Write: 134MB/sec (4k blocks)
    Seq Uncached Write: 158MB/sec (256k blocks)
    Seq Uncached Read: 68.5MB/sec (4k blocks)
    Seq Uncached Read: 165.8 MB/sec (256k blocks)

Random Uncached Write: 32.18MB/sec (4k)
    Random Uncached Write: 116.5 (256k)
    Random Uncached Read: 8.27 (4k)
    Random Uncached Read: 108.56 (256k)

Comparing this to my 15" unibody MacBook Pro, which has a 320GB 5400RPM Hitachi hard disk, the difference is significant:

Seq Uncached Write: 8 MB/sec (4k blocks)
    Seq Uncached Write: 39.5 MB/sec (256k blocks)
    Seq Uncached Read: 5.4 MB/sec (4k blocks)
    Seq Uncached Read: 18 MB/sec (256k blocks)

Random Uncached Write: 0.7 MB/sec (4k)
    Random Uncached Write: 15.14 MB/sec (256k)
    Random Uncached Read: 0.25 MB/sec (4k)
    Random Uncached Read: 12.51 MB/sec (256k)
    This is obviously not up to Sandforce levels, but it's really fast nonetheless.

SSD Speed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HDD Speed, but the Apple SSD isn't as good as an X-25/Sandforce drive.

Basically, if it wasn't horriblely expensive to make large capacity SSD, they would be used in everything.

So it's not a valid complaint that you can get more space on other netbooks that use a HDD.

ronzo on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You guys are doing very little to dissuade me from selling my iPad and getting one of these. Stop it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited October 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    You guys are doing very little to dissuade me from selling my iPad and getting one of these. Stop it.
    No, hang on to your iPad; if you wait long enough you can skip a generation and go straight to the airPad we were talking about earlier.

Does that help? ;)

Mr_Rose on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Rothgarr wrote: »

shut up syndalis

don't make me go buy one

Agreed.

Just out of curiosity, why would you need a Macbook and Macbook Pro? I'm guessing the pro is one of the larger models and you use the Macbook as you would a netbook?

Work gets me the machines so I just happened to have them. I have the white Macbook that I use for video conferencing and testing, a 17" Macbook Pro which is really just for media now, but my main rig is an 8 core 16GB Mac Pro. This doesn't include my Pad, Phones, Pods, etc...

If I had to choose an ideal set-up, I'd have my Mac Pro for all my work-related stuff. Then for the family I'd have an iMac and a Macbook Air.

Rothgarr on
    edited October 2010
    Friend of mine got an SSD for his system drive. He said it was like a new computer. Apparently getting a small-ish one for a laptop and then having all your big files on spin drives (where the cost/MB is significantly lower) is like a really good idea. Considering doing this with when I get a new MBP, hilariously fast disc read times are mucho appealing to me. The regular HD I have in my current one is only 120 or something anyway and I've got windoze installed on a partition and still never had to worry about space.

I just cannot motivate an Air purchase at this stage in my life, though. I run a 15-inch MBP from right before the unibodies and a 2nd generation iPod touch. It works fine, but let's be honest--I'd much rather have a unibody MBP, an iPad, and an iPhone 4. And then, when I actually grow up, an iMac, an Air, and the iPhone.

Maybe another MBP for shits and giggles.

Senshi on
    edited October 2010
    I've been meaning to take out my superdrive and put in a SSD. The only thing stopping me really is that I can only afford a $200 80GB SSD, and I'm not sure thats enough space for OSX + W7 + Programs. However, enough engineering stuff is coming out on mac now that maybe I can forgo the windows partition and get by on 80gb for the main stuff and a 250gb for the rest.

another cool thing you can do is replace the stock HDD and the superdrive with dual 500gb 7200 drives, and have 1tb of space on a laptop or setup a raid

ronzo on
    edited October 2010
    I think that Ars Q&A put to rest every question and fear I had about these things

I guess I might buy one maybe

Monoxide on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So, if you care about anything other than tech specs, you can't ever match apples products?

noobert on
    edited October 2010
    So, if you care about anything other than tech specs, you can't ever match apples products?
    No, if you care about the stuff being an "Apple product" gives you over and above raw tech specs, it is exceedingly difficult to match them.

Mr_Rose on
    edited October 2010

Pretty much. Have yet to see a single piece of hardware that is designed as well as an Apple product. Have yet to use an operating system as consistent and fluid as OS X. Have yet to hold in my hands a device as fragile-looking yet indestructible as an iPod or an iPhone. You'd think an iPod touch would break the first time you dropped it, right? Not so. Dropped mine on asphalt, concrete, hardwood, and all manner of other surfaces and it still works flawlessly with not a scratch. The worst it's got is a bit of a bulge on one edge right by the volume controls where the metal bent as it hit the concrete floor, and even that's barely noticable.

Hate to sound like a run-of-the-mill, beret-wearing Apple faggot, but this shit really is an experience.

Even tech specs are special--when I compare my friend's Dell to my MBP, both with almost identical specs, same age, etc. the MBP outperforms his XPS every single time.

Senshi on
    edited October 2010
    Wrong thread, dammit.

Wezoin on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pretty much. Have yet to see a single piece of hardware that is designed as well as an Apple product.

I think the Intel chips inside them are better designed. I mean, have you seen the i7 datasheets? They're nuts.

Also, I very much wish the iPhone was indestructible. Maybe I accidentally bought the destructible version, I dunno.

Fats on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some interesting thoughts on the Air's low powered CPU by Ars Technica. Really makes me tempted by the $999 model. Seems like a lot of Tablets are going to run in some trouble, if they get close to the $800 price-point they will inevitably be compared to the Air.

Think I'll wait for pricing details on Lion before thinking even think about maybe getting one. I wouldn't be to excited about paying $130 for it in a couple months if I could avoid it.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited October 2010
    Dritz wrote: »
    Some interesting thoughts on the Air's low powered CPU by Ars Technica. Really makes me tempted by the $999 model. Seems like a lot of Tablets are going to run in some trouble, if they get close to the $800 price-point they will inevitably be compared to the Air.

Think I'll wait for pricing details on Lion before thinking even think about maybe getting one. I wouldn't be to excited about paying $130 for it in a couple months if I could avoid it.

It's basically at a halfway point between netbooks and full laptops, at least CPU/GPU wise. A netbook can barely handle anything more than webbrowsing, some word doc stuff and watching youtube vids. The Air added power means it can run all of the iLife and iWork stuff pretty well and can actually watch/output HD video. It's not going to be doing photoshop or aperture work, but thats what the full laptops are for.

edit: the reason any company has to choose at all is because of Intel's fucking retarded setup for the iX series chips. They all have intel HD GPU shit on them, which apple rightfully thinks is terrible. So a better GPU option has to be used instead, which is too big for small laptops like the Air and 13' MBP. Hopefully the Sandy Bridge (i think thats the next line) are better about this

ronzo on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Pretty much. Have yet to see a single piece of hardware that is designed as well as an Apple product.

I think the Intel chips inside them are better designed. I mean, have you seen the i7 datasheets? They're nuts.

Also, I very much wish the iPhone was indestructible. Maybe I accidentally bought the destructible version, I dunno.

Durability is very much anecdotal. You can easily find someone who will speak highly of their iPhone's indestructibility and then find someone else who hasn't even dropped theirs and there's a crack in it (that's me). It's hit and miss. As a result I don't touch on that when discussing the pros and cons of the product.

I would say that Apple products all feel good to the touch, though. MacBook Pros are made from a solid chunk of aluminum. With the exception of the screen's backplate there's hardly any flex. iPhones also feel very solid in your hand.
    ronzo wrote: »
    It's basically at a halfway point between netbooks and full laptops, at least CPU/GPU wise. A netbook can barely handle anything more than webbrowsing, some word doc stuff and watching youtube vids. The Air added power means it can run all of the iLife and iWork stuff pretty well and can actually watch/output HD video. It's not going to be doing photoshop or aperture work, but thats what the full laptops are for.

edit: the reason any company has to choose at all is because of Intel's fucking retarded setup for the iX series chips. They all have intel HD GPU shit on them, which apple rightfully thinks is terrible. So a better GPU option has to be used instead, which is too big for small laptops like the Air and 13' MBP. Hopefully the Sandy Bridge (i think thats the next line) are better about this

Do you mean you don't want an on-die graphics processor or do you mean you just want a better one? Integrating it with the processor cuts down on size and gives you the low-power integrated solution needed to complement a discrete graphics chip. I like being able to fall back on the Intel graphics processor for better battery life when I'm disconnected from a power source. Its performance is not ideal, but to me it's better than nothing.

Sandy Bridge is supposed to have faster on-die solutions with Turbo Boost so it'll be better probably.

Sarksus on