As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Man Walking: Walk Harder and Cook Better [Herpes]

• cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    it is literally a 2 dollar steak

it was on special

that's fine. that steak got what was comin to it. the quality of the steak usually does not determine the best cooking method, but the cut does. as i'm never fond of long descriptions, here's a chart. i really like this chart. it's huge!
    beefchart51201.gif

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is very educational. Saving that chart now. Thanks!

skettios on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    also saving that chart
    obviously I don't give a shit about blood

but this was like a 2 dollar steak on special because it was on expiration. I don't feel comfortable with blood in my expired raw meat

Franko on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    it is literally a 2 dollar steak

it was on special

well, there's your problem bro

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    my budget makes it a choice between buying nicer meat or nicer beer

chose the latter

Franko on
    edited October 2010
    the one thing I'll disagree with on that chart is flank being cooked in liquid. FUCK THAT NOISE. Marinade, yes! But then you grill or broil that son of a bitch and get a nice sear on it. DO NOT FUCKING BRAISE A FLANK I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • johnny_rockerjohnny_rocker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    my budget makes it a choice between buying nicer meat or nicer beer

chose the latter

Find your local Costco warehouse and get a membership.

Do this now.

My local Costco has awesome meat and it's damn cheap. I can get freshly-butchered beef tenderloin for $9/lb, usually. Most i've seen it is $12. They usually have a good selection of t-bones and strips too. You'll be buying multiple pieces in a package, so freeze the rest. Get the ziploc bags that you can suck the air out of with the little pump and save those babies for a rainy day.

Good beef cheap. and they sell beer too. so there you go.

there's no excuse for crap beef. I'd rather have a well-cooked steak and room-temperature water than a six-pack of Smithwick's and shoeleather.

johnny_rocker on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't like blood in my food but I am also the biggest wuss. I never try new things and that makes me sad.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    the one thing I'll disagree with on that chart is flank being cooked in liquid. FUCK THAT NOISE. Marinade, yes! But then you grill or broil that son of a bitch and get a nice sear on it. DO NOT FUCKING BRAISE A FLANK I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU.

yeah, that chart also mentions nothing of tenderizing either. great things come from beating some of those tighter cuts into submission.

cadmunky on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, we heated up the leftovers from last night. I swear it tastes better now that the flavour has set in. This weekend definitely doing the cauliflower Friday or Saturday (maybe with a roast chicken) and I'd like to try one of the corn breads since I'm making chili Sunday.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2010
    o damn chili. i need to get on that too.

cadmunky on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I made calzones tonight.

180843053.jpg

Peppers, onions, cheese, mushrooms, and chicken.
    Garlic and parmesean on the crust.
    mmmm mmmmmm

Plus! I make them so big I can only eat 1/2 of it. Leftovers! wheeeee

skettios on
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Thankfully the bird needs a solid half hour or so to hang out and rest.

Which buys some oven time.

This is one of the big reasons we switched over to frying our bird each year. That and the turkey is done is less than an hour.

Only five more weeks...

Borommakot on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Was hungry, so I made nutella crepes for a late-night snack.
    Have enough batter left over for some egg/bacon crepes tomorrow morning.

George Fornby Grill on
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Borommakot wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Thankfully the bird needs a solid half hour or so to hang out and rest.

Which buys some oven time.

This is one of the big reasons we switched over to frying our bird each year. That and the turkey is done is less than an hour.

Only five more weeks...

fried turkey is where its at

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Brined turkey is where it's at.

Fried is for chumps who shun flavor in favor of LOOK, I'M FRYING!

DrZiplock on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fried turkey is delicious. It's just I prefer a traditional roast turkey on Thanksgiving.

I usually fry a turkey sometime around Christmas, or if I bag a big hen during hunting season I'll fry that in mid November for football watching food.

Hunter on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Putting the finishing touches on the two entrees for this first round.

I decided to do pulled pork, and Red Beans and Rice. Mainly because I'm already making Red Beans and Rice this weekend.

Now, here is the question. Who wants these? Keep in mind. If you say yes, I'd really prefer you make these BEFORE next Friday. WHich means you will take this recipe, buy everything, and cook it. Then write up your thoughts BEFORE 10/29.

And please, please, PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What equipment do you need for the pulled pork?

Also...send me sourdough, if you could please.

DrZiplock on
    edited October 2010
    We're in

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the cheese soup anything like this?

Because this cheddar cheese / beer soup was fantastic.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We're in

Heck yes

Also savory cornbread recipe please!

Usagi on
    edited October 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    We're in

Heck yes

He already sent me the savory and sweet cornbread recipes as well as zucchini bread and johnny cakes. Did he send you the sourdough recipe? Because I never got it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    We're in

Heck yes

He already sent me the savory and sweet cornbread recipes as well as zucchini bread and johnny cakes. Did he send you the sourdough recipe? Because I never got it.

Nope, no breads for me

Guess he likes Poppa Bear better :winky:

Usagi on
    edited October 2010
    Also Stale, I just noticed that your recipe for biscuits states baking powder without aluminum. The baking powder we have includes sodium aluminum sulfate. Can you tell me what effect the sodium aluminum sulfate has on the biscuits and why it's not desirable? Or were you never given an explanation why it's bad for the biscuits?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited October 2010
    The Sourdough will come after I get the entrees done. Due to it's nature, I'm lumping it in with the special-case dishes.

The pulled pork can be done in a smoker, or a crock-pot. I'm including both methods.

The red beans and rice will require a good stock pot, and a crock pot.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Also Stale, I just noticed that your recipe for biscuits states baking powder without aluminum. The baking powder we have includes sodium aluminum sulfate. Can you tell me what effect the sodium aluminum sulfate has on the biscuits and why it's not desirable? Or were you never given an explanation why it's bad for the biscuits?

I was always told the reaction between the aluminum sulfate and the acid from the buttermilk would affect the leavening.

I never questioned Grandma. I just accepted it.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Hmm..is it really supposed to be 1 TBSP of baking powder for 2 cups of flour? That seems excessive since it's usually 1 teaspoon per cup of flour. And as I understand it, usually less for recipes with buttermilk, not more.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Yup, sure is.

I know it looks weird, but trust me on this one.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I t has to do with the amount of solids in the bread.

With a more reasonable 1.5 tsp, they have a tendency to settle and burn.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited October 2010
    aight, just checkin'

but I'm still dubious on the no aluminum
    it's just there as an acid salt to cause a delayed release of carbon dioxide, and if it doesn't use sodium aluminum sulfate, it's just using some other acid salt instead

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • johnny_rockerjohnny_rocker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Stale, hook me up with the Pulled Pork. Been wanting to bust out the crock pot soon anyways.

johnny_rocker on
    edited October 2010
    aight, just checkin'

but I'm still dubious on the no aluminum
    it's just there as an acid salt to cause a delayed release of carbon dioxide, and if it doesn't use sodium aluminum sulfate, it's just using some other acid salt instead

entirely possible that back in the day, perhaps baking powder used something else with aluminum

entirely possible it's a folk-tale and has just been passed along

entirely possible it has no bearing at all. I just know it's what I use.

In very few cases I don't particularly care about the science behind something, this is one of them.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to go through the breads this weekend and the other sides this coming week. I'll pass on this one because I hate beans so I know I won't make it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ZUCHINI BREAD IN THE OVEN. [tiny]with what I just realise was only two cups of flour...... I was wondering why I had so much liquid left over to mix in......[/tiny]

Suggestions.

Put all the drys at the top of the list and and put mixing the drys at the beginning of the recipe. Also make it say add the sugar and oil rather than oil and sugar.

This way it becomes one of my favourite recipes, one that only requires a single measuring cup.

I figured out a secret lazy way of chopping walnuts, if they come in a package, just beat the shit out of it. Much quicker.

Also I threw a tablespoon of run in there. Just cause.

Also if you do want to have raisins in there and don't have a spare four hours I have found a good compromise is to throw the rasins in a cup, half fill it with rum then fill the rest up with hot boiling water and they are good to go in like half an hour.

You might also want to note that two cups of grated zuchini is roughly one zuchini (I had no idea and bought two and didn't use the second at all)

Blake T on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Baking here is so complicated

It took me seven stores in Dangsan to find an eight inch cake pan. How is that possible? What the hell are they baking their cakes in here? Springform pans? Aluminum?

On the plus side, two blocks of unsalted butter only cost me 12,000 won. Tomorrow there shall be great bakering to be had.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    just made Stale's grits

approval all around, espescially from the wife, who loves grits

my daughter said they were "the tastiest thing she ever tasted"

THANKS STALE

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tomorrow is my cooking day, I'll make both the pork and the red bean and rice if ya send them out.

Jigrah on
    edited October 2010
    Kyle: Awesome

Jigrah: I'm trying my best to get them out today. Once we get back from the mall, I'll sit down and get these out.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ZUKINI BREAD!?

MY mom used to make that all the time.

WE called it Bikini bread because I had speech problems.

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.