As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is it okay to eat candy off the floor

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ya someone asked him where he wanted to go to dinner

Franko on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    The are mainly two things that strikes me as so wrong with diners being fussy at decent restaurants. First of all, the best dining experiences have always been when I've put myself in the hands of a good chef and let them surprise me and allowed myself to be open to something I wouldn't normally try. Can it go wrong? Sure. I guess that's where some are much more risk averse whereas I'm willing to occasionally have a lackluster or even bad meal for the sake of having a really good meal because I trusted the establishment (and their reputation) to do what they do well. If they let me down, I'll consider the circumstances and decide whether it was something fundamentally wrong and it's not worth going back, or if they just decided to be daring and it didn't quite work as well as they thought it did and maybe I'll cut them some slack and give them a go again. Of course, it's their meal and if they want to just have mediocre, predictable dinners that they recognize then I guess you could say that's their business. However that brings me to my second point.

Many diners in the states are not only entitled pieces of shit, but ignorant and entitled pieces of shit. The perspective they usually have is, "I'm paying this establishment to make my food so they damn well better accommodate my special (non allergy related) requests!" But see, from where I stand eating out is not supposed to be a cookie cutter process where each restaurant makes it just the way you've had it before. There should be an element of risk as you trust in the skill and reputation of the establishment. More importantly, there is an art to it. Yes, I realize that in many respects the cooking line is much like an assembly line even in high end restaurants, but that's because all the thinking about what to put on the menu was made earlier and now it's just a matter of replicating the dish whenever someone orders it. And it still takes skill to do it properly. It's an art form. And it's amazing to me that so many diners have no problem going to a nice establishment and nitpicking a dish to death with special requests, but hardly anyone would entertain the notion that the "customer" at a ballet or opera should be standing off stage telling the actors/dancers how it should really be done. Especially since most of these diners wouldn't have a fucking clue how to execute the dish properly.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    :^:

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    my cat has taken to napping on my mousepad

this is cool and all but sometimes its like BRO i just wanna play some VIDEOGAMES

redhead on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    my puppy is finally comfortable enough to enter insane puppy mode

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    atlas shrugged :(

that fucking book goddamn

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why is one muffin top so delicious and one so disgusting

These are the questions

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Atlas Shrugged.

Really?
    atlas shrugged :(

objectivism is the light

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did you guys really think he meant that?

Also I rarely ever go to a restaurant nice enough to have things like chefs. I mean I would like to but college

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    my puppy is finally comfortable enough to enter insane puppy mode

what kind of puppy

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    The are mainly two things that strikes me as so wrong with diners being fussy at decent restaurants. First of all, the best dining experiences have always been when I've put myself in the hands of a good chef and let them surprise me and allowed myself to be open to something I wouldn't normally try. Can it go wrong? Sure. I guess that's where some are much more risk averse whereas I'm willing to occasionally have a lackluster or even bad meal for the sake of having a really good meal because I trusted the establishment (and their reputation) to do what they do well. If they let me down, I'll consider the circumstances and decide whether it was something fundamentally wrong and it's not worth going back, or if they just decided to be daring and it didn't quite work as well as they thought it did and maybe I'll cut them some slack and give them a go again. Of course, it's their meal and if they want to just have mediocre, predictable dinners that they recognize then I guess you could say that's their business. However that brings me to my second point.

Many diners in the states are not only entitled pieces of shit, but ignorant and entitled pieces of shit. The perspective they usually have is, "I'm paying this establishment to make my food so they damn well better accommodate my special (non allergy related) requests!" But see, from where I stand eating out is not supposed to be a cookie cutter process where each restaurant makes it just the way you've had it before. There should be an element of risk as you trust in the skill and reputation of the establishment. More importantly, there is an art to it. Yes, I realize that in many respects the cooking line is much like an assembly line even in high end restaurants, but that's because all the thinking about what to put on the menu was made earlier and now it's just a matter of replicating the dish whenever someone orders it. And it still takes skill to do it properly. It's an art form. And it's amazing to me that so many diners have no problem going to a nice establishment and nitpicking a dish to death with special requests, but hardly anyone would entertain the notion that the "customer" at a ballet or opera should be standing off stage telling the actors/dancers how it should really be done. Especially since most of these diners wouldn't have a fucking clue how to execute the dish properly.

Define decent restaurant, when I think of this I picture a place where more than half the kitchen staff can speak fluent English.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »

Define decent restaurant, when I think of this I picture a place where more than half the kitchen staff can speak fluent English.

ahahahahahahahahaha

Even at many of the finest restaurants, most of the kitchen staff is going to be south american buddy. They are the backbone of the restaurant industry, the workhorses who generally can do it all because they've worked their way up from the bottom without complaint. They can do just about anything in the kitchen usually because at some point they did just about every job in back.

You seem to be precisely the type of ignorant diner I was talking about, but that's just based on this post so maybe I'm wrong.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Faynor wrote: »
    I mean I woke up at 1pm and then watched 3 hours worth of Jersey Shore

I'm still in my pajamas

you really aren't short on material here

did you feel like P Diddy

Antimatter on
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What if I just really fucking hate sour cream and I ask for no sour cream? Am I a fussy eater?

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nastyman wrote: »
    What if I just really fucking hate sour cream and I ask for no sour cream? Am I a fussy eater?

that is exactly the same as saying you hate pirouettes and demanding that the ballet dancers don't do any
    you suck

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    noted

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    also, sour cream is awesome

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I love sour cream, it was but an example.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    how dare you

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nastyman wrote: »

Then you shouldn't have ordered the sour cream filled ravioli in sour cream sauce and the sour cream bisque.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess I'm a fussy eater pussy bitch because fuck mayonnaise

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh god I'm throwing up from a combination of self-pity and tasty food would someone like a plate

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sour cream is fuckin

butts

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LOOK I'M DRUHIM MY PALETTE IS REFINED NYAH NYAH

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh noooo I just found left-over Ranchero chicken and sour cream how can I not eat this

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm the type that will just order a salad as is even if I know it has cucumbers and then just pick the cucumbers off. However, I have friends that won't eat raw onions on anything or sour cream or what have you and they ask for it without. This does not annoy me one bit so I'm just a little confused here.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hate mayonnaise, don't give a fuck

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LOOK I'M FANDY I WANT DRUHIM'S BUTT NYAH NYAH

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fuck you dudes mayo is awesome

also I know I say it all the time but bluecheese is the best

god its so good

Franko on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nyargh nyargh its got little jalapenos in it someone stop me I'm literally crying and pooping at the same time

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Words

There's this diner here where the chef has a fixed menu, only serves two room seatings a night, no substitutions and if you don't like the way something is cooked you are promptly told to go die in a fire.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    butt foie gras

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    it is so easy and so much tastier to make your own blue cheese dressing doggs

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    some people just can't help their tastebuds

course, they don't have to be rude when making requests for food

Antimatter on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I didn't like potatoes that weren't in french fry form until I was 18 or so
    I felt like I might barf just by having one in my mouth

I am Irish and Polish -- my body is like 90% potato

then one day I had a potato and it was great

who knows, maybe my mom just can't cook potatoes for shit

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    just get rid of everyone who isn't white

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Words

There's this diner here where the chef has a fixed menu, only serves two room seatings a night, no substitutions and if you don't like the way something is cooked you are promptly told to go die in a fire.

I'm fine with that. In fact, some day usagi and I will go to The Harbfarm, one of the most highly acclaimed restaurants on the west coast. They have theme menus that they run for a week or two typically, but when you make a reservation you're just trusting that they're going to take good care of you. About $200/head but I have no doubt it'll be fantastic even though we won't know in advance what we're eating.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm contemplating eating some doritoes

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    spono wrote: »
    I didn't like potatoes that weren't in french fry form until I was 18 or so
    I felt like I might barf just by having one in my mouth

I am Irish and Polish -- my body is like 90% potato

then one day I had a potato and it was great

who knows, maybe my mom just can't cook potatoes for shit

It's all too common for people to grow up hating certain foods simply because their mothers didn't know how to prepare it. It's wonderful taking someone like that and showing them how good that ingredient can actually be, and converting them to loving it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    i like cheap food

Garlic Bread on