As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Points of Interest Maps

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
For all you Android phone users, if you have the My Maps app (which I think there's now something built into the Google Maps app for it as well), this is the thread for you. Last year, at the Hynes convention center, I made a POI map that looks a little something like this:

paxeastpoimap2010.png

That was what I had done by myself. I was pretty impressed with it. I don't know how many people used it, but it was there if you needed it. This year, I wanted to get more collaborators together to help me make the map because A) I have a lot less free time due to my work schedule and B) I don't know much more about the BCEC area than I did then about the Hynes area.

So, if you would like to collaborate on this map please post your e-mail address in this thread and I will set you up as a collaborator asap! The reason I am not leaving it open for anyone to edit is because I don't want someone to come in and screw with it. As you can see from the link, I already got us started by labeling the Convention Center and 2 nearby hotels.

Cartographers
Goose!
Rdr
Knoland
Realisticradical
sofreshsodarryl
juju
alyu85
tvethiopia
naekko

Goose! on

• RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can add me as I'll be incorporating this POI map into the Hitchhiker's Guide this year.

ridermiller@gmail.com

This weekend I am gonna get my hands dirty with the area around BCEC and see what is really around there. I know its not as diverse as around Hynes though.

Rdr on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Your invite has been sent!

Goose! on
  • KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know my way around the Boston waterfront pretty well, as I used to live over there. So if you want I can help add a bunch of stuff to the map. My email is sev9780@gmail.com

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
    edited September 2010
    Knoland wrote: »
    I know my way around the Boston waterfront pretty well, as I used to live over there. So if you want I can help add a bunch of stuff to the map. My email is sev9780@gmail.com

Awesome! I went ahead and sent you an invite because Goose! might be away from his desk.

Rdr on
    edited September 2010
    Alright, thanks, I'll add a bunch in a bit.

Knoland on
  • realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Toss me on there. Realisticradical _at_ gmail dot. com

realisticradical on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have sent you the invite!

Goose! on
    edited September 2010
    I noticed someone was able to make placemarks hook up with place descriptions from google. If anyone can fix it so they all do that, or tell me how I can, that'd be great.

Goose! on
    edited September 2010
    Click Edit at the top of the POI list, then click the POI on the map to add the description from google. I don't think you can just link it.

Knoland on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's this Expo Center thing doing in here? That's not very important you silly geese.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited September 2010
    Is the only way to update that map on my phone? For some reason the map builder hates my Evo.

realisticradical on
    edited September 2010
    Is the only way to update that map on my phone? For some reason the map builder hates my Evo.

Are you asking if there are other ways to update the map or other ways on the Evo?

Rdr on
    edited September 2010
    Any way to update the map would be good. Right now I don't seem to be able to do anything.

realisticradical on
    edited September 2010
    I think on a pc is best. Click the link in the invite email and it should let you edit the map.

What browser are you using?

Rdr on
    edited September 2010
    Google chrome on a mac. I seem to have figured it out now. Thanks.

realisticradical on
  • Gnrl HavocGnrl Havoc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just because the venue has moved in Boston, don't feel like you are limited to what you can do after Pax East 2011. As you all know from this past Pax East, Boylston St is a good stop for bar hopping. There are about 8 bars all lined up. Most of which are good. The Poor House has good food and is usually packed. For those that smoke cigars (real cigars that is) there is a cigar bar called Cigar Masters on Boylston.

If you don't have a problem going else where, Landsdown St (located on the opposite side of Fenways' Green Monstah), the whole street has bars on it (Caskinflagin, Game On, Taquila Rain, House of Blues...). Another good spot for bars would be the Fanuel Hall/Government Center area. There are bars ALL over the place down. One of the better bars in that area is The Bell in Hand (the nations oldest bar). You could also go down by the Boston Garden. There are a few decent bars down there. One of which is The Harp.

I don't think most people realize that for a smaller big city (when compaired to other big cities like NYC or LA) there is a ton of adult stuff to do. Mostly bars which is fine by me.

I don't know if anyone posted this link for Boston last P-East but this might help some of you get up your time out on the town.

http://www.boston.com/

Gnrl Havoc on
  • sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would like to contribute!

sofreshsodarryl@gmail.com

sofreshsodarryl on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Faneuil Hall.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited September 2010
    Gnrl Havoc wrote: »
    Just because the venue has moved in Boston, don't feel like you are limited to what you can do after Pax East 2011. As you all know from this past Pax East, Boylston St is a good stop for bar hopping. There are about 8 bars all lined up. Most of which are good. The Poor House has good food and is usually packed. For those that smoke cigars (real cigars that is) there is a cigar bar called Cigar Masters on Boylston.

If you don't have a problem going else where, Landsdown St (located on the opposite side of Fenways' Green Monstah), the whole street has bars on it (Caskinflagin, Game On, Taquila Rain, House of Blues...). Another good spot for bars would be the Fanuel Hall/Government Center area. There are bars ALL over the place down. One of the better bars in that area is The Bell in Hand (the nations oldest bar). You could also go down by the Boston Garden. There are a few decent bars down there. One of which is The Harp.

I don't think most people realize that for a smaller big city (when compaired to other big cities like NYC or LA) there is a ton of adult stuff to do. Mostly bars which is fine by me.

I don't know if anyone posted this link for Boston last P-East but this might help some of you get up your time out on the town.

http://www.boston.com/

I think there will be small hurdles when it comes time for people to step out of the convention center and they're like, "Now what?" Whereas at PAX East 10 before you could ask yourself or friends that question 8-10 places were staring you in the face in all directions for whatever you were interested in.

Between this map and the Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX East 2011 we'll have a ton of bars and restaurants mapped out for information seeking people.
    I would like to contribute!

sofreshsodarryl@gmail.com

I sent you an invite!

Rdr on
  • alyu85alyu85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I live in Boston and would like to help too!
    alex81595@gmail.com

alyu85 on
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm down! I live, work and play in Boston. I spend most of my time in the Financial District (nearish the BCEC) and I also review for Citysearch once in a while.

jujukoo @ gmail.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
    edited October 2010
    alyu85 wrote: »
    I live in Boston and would like to help too!
    alex81595@gmail.com

juju wrote: »
    I'm down! I live, work and play in Boston. I spend most of my time in the Financial District (nearish the BCEC) and I also review for Citysearch once in a while.

jujukoo @ gmail.

I sent you both invites. :)

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    Just sorted and alphabetized everything. Anymore places?

Goose! on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i want to help! lived in the boston area my whole life, and i love doing research. i also work in a library and can do personal research at work (best job ever) and have experience using google's my maps.

tvethiopia@gmail.com

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just want to point out that there is a Starbucks inside the Weston Boston Waterfront Hotel. Personally psyched about not only being able to stroll in and out of Pax at my leisure without having to worry about stepping outside, but also being able to get my caramel macchiatos. :mrgreen:

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited October 2010
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    i want to help! lived in the boston area my whole life, and i love doing research. i also work in a library and can do personal research at work (best job ever) and have experience using google's my maps.

tvethiopia@gmail.com

Sent you an invite.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    I noticed someone was able to make placemarks hook up with place descriptions from google. If anyone can fix it so they all do that, or tell me how I can, that'd be great.

when you add the location to the map, search it by the name of the place instead of the address. you should get google's place description popping up. at the bottom, select "save to..." and "pax east 2011". this will save it to the map with its google description. you can then go back to the pax map and add any additional details, change the icon, etc. i'll go fix some of them now.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited October 2010
    so, i've done some work on this, but i'm really wondering what kind of stuff people want to see on it. what kind of non-pax places would you like to go to in boston? bars, diners, shopping, cheap places, more upscale? music venues, movie theaters? how far out of the city will you be willing to go?

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited October 2010
    so, i've done some work on this, but i'm really wondering what kind of stuff people want to see on it. what kind of non-pax places would you like to go to in boston? bars, diners, shopping, cheap places, more upscale? music venues, movie theaters? how far out of the city will you be willing to go?

I'm not sure what's on there right now, but places like hospitals, urgent care facilities, and even drug stores should be there, just in case.

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I checked out the map too and did not dare touch it. So many good things are on it already that I would only make any edits unless it's deemed necessary :). I felt like putting in a bit more info about travel wiu drawn lines and certain sweet spots I found but I was really worried it would clash with everyone else's work.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would add the Sleeper Street Deli great little sandwich shop up near the Barking Crab. Reasonable prices for the area.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I always have trouble finding some place to get a decent breakfast that's close enough to quickly get to and from before the convention opens.

The map is looking great guys, can't wait to put it to good use, keep it up! :D

P.S. Add Quincy Market Square if it's not already on there, it's a huge food court with everything form authentic chowder to indian food, took my friends there at last year's pax and they loved it.

Exodus1 on
  • naekkonaekko Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    naekko on
  • RazorDRazorD Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Any chance someone could add the closest AT&T store? I'm sure some of us international folks will be needing to pick up SIM cards for cheap data!

RazorD on
    edited February 2011
    RazorD wrote: »
    Any chance someone could add the closest AT&T store? I'm sure some of us international folks will be needing to pick up SIM cards for cheap data!

done! also, so glad you bumped this thread up, i feel like a lot of people having been asking questions that can be addressed by this map!

in case anyone's here and skipping the op, here's another link to the current state of the map

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited February 2011
    Ok, since I'm a total newbie to the whole "My Maps" thing, is there an iPhone app for this where I save it in My Maps, and then can click something to bring it up?

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited February 2011
    Krissta wrote: »
    Ok, since I'm a total newbie to the whole "My Maps" thing, is there an iPhone app for this where I save it in My Maps, and then can click something to bring it up?

unfortunately, though there is a google maps app for iphone, it looks like it doesn't support my maps. android, blackberry, nokia, and windows phones have it in their apps, but not iphone :(

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited February 2011

unfortunately, though there is a google maps app for iphone, it looks like it doesn't support my maps. android, blackberry, nokia, and windows phones have it in their apps, but not iphone :(
    Weh! :(

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited February 2011

you should still be able to access it using some sort of browser though! all is not lost!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited February 2011

you should still be able to access it using some sort of browser though! all is not lost!

I'm sure I can view it some way! :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
This discussion has been closed.