As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bringing your spouse to PaxEast for the first time

shadowhaxorshadowhaxor Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in PAX Archive
So, since this is my first PAXEast event, I also wanted to being my wife. I mentioned to her and she said she'd come with, but at the same time I'm trying to explain to her on what exactly it is that she's going to and ultimately I want to make sure she has a good time.

While she isn't the biggest gamer, she tends to watch me play or get interested in what I play and even offer suggestions or observations on things I've missed. But she won't play those games herself, she's more of a selective gamer and facebook gamer.

Anyone else take their partner to PAXEast previously who wasn't exactly interested in the same things as you? If so, how did that go and would you do it again?

c2e0b3ede0e50567dda8a3249038f379.png
shadowhaxor on

• virtualmaddenvirtualmadden Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    My girlfriend has come with me to the last two Primes and shes had a good time. She doesn't game except for Rock Band and GH, but she found the motion control demos fun. I've taught her well in the art of getting free stuff, so she finds the giveaways. I'd say spend some time just walking her around and doing some casual stuff. Also it helps to actually take her out for nice meals as a thank you for coming.

virtualmadden on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's no reason to make her spend all 3 days at the con, there's a ton of stuff to do in Boston from sightseeing to shopping to a great spa I go to for the best pedicures and massages I've ever had. As long as you balance stuff she wants to with stuff you want to it won't be hard!

VisionOfClarity on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, do prePAX gatherings. That's a great way for someone who's never experiences PAX before to meet new people to hang out with over the weekend.

And panels like a Night with Scott Kurtz are fun for everyone.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Samurai KappaSamurai Kappa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sure there are plenty of "good sport" wives/girlfriends around so I'm sure she'll have no shortage of people to talk to. The vibe at PAX is overwhelmingly, almost surprisingly, friendly and it's really easy to strike up a conversation with whoever you happen to be next to. Even without being a big gamer I'm sure she'll have a good time.

Samurai Kappa on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My buddy and I brought our wives last year to PAX and they spent Friday and Sunday wondering around Boston and then they came with us on Saturday. I know my wife had a great time sharing "my world" with me. It was a little scary how much she got into Dante's Inferno though...she was better than me o_O

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I finally got my wife to go with me to PAX East last year, and now she's hooked!

The Magical Mystery Tour was a good way to introduce her to various people in the community while running through a fun community event. I'll be putting up the info for the tour in December sometime, so if you are interested keep an eye out!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's also plenty of other things to do at the con besides video games; you two could go to the tabletop section and learn to play some new games together (I'm sure there are plenty of nice people willing to teach you a fun game) or she could see if there any panels/concerts she might be interested in attending.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just don't take her to any craigslist meetups.

Goose! on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are plenty of things for a lite-gamer to do. Just because the people there are gamers doesn't mean that everything strictly revolves around gaming.
    Things like the concerts, Rock Band freeplay (who says YOU have to play. i love just watching people there), and many of the panels can easily appeal to people who don't actively game. The PA panels and anything with Kurtz or Jeff are humorous even without a heavy knowledge of games. I guess maybe the straight PA Q&A panels might not appeal to her, but the make-a-strip panel has the best of both worlds: Gabe and Tycho cracking jokes/answering questions, as well as visual stimulation as you watch the comic be drawn in front of you.
    I met many couples last time, so you can try to find another couple you can hang out with. That way if you want to go play in a tournament or something else that would leave her bored, she already knows someone she can hang out with instead of just being through into a crowd of (very nice) strangers.
    Definitely try to fit in some community events. The MMT will help you meet people ahead of time, plus you'll get to see some of the city instead of just the convention center (that'll probably be a plus to her!). Hopefully there will also be the girl's meetup again. So she can take a break from the barrage of gamey-ness and just chill with some other gals.
    Also, maybe she's played some Pac-man or something when she was younger? The classic console freeplay may feel more accessible to her.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • ParagonAlleyParagonAlley Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My wife is coming with me. She's not a huge gamer either.

ParagonAlley on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    punzie wrote: »
    There are plenty of things for a lite-gamer to do. Just because the people there are gamers doesn't mean that everything strictly revolves around gaming.
    Things like the concerts, Rock Band freeplay (who says YOU have to play. i love just watching people there), and many of the panels can easily appeal to people who don't actively game. The PA panels and anything with Kurtz or Jeff are humorous even without a heavy knowledge of games. I guess maybe the straight PA Q&A panels might not appeal to her, but the make-a-strip panel has the best of both worlds: Gabe and Tycho cracking jokes/answering questions, as well as visual stimulation as you watch the comic be drawn in front of you.
    I met many couples last time, so you can try to find another couple you can hang out with. That way if you want to go play in a tournament or something else that would leave her bored, she already knows someone she can hang out with instead of just being through into a crowd of (very nice) strangers.
    Definitely try to fit in some community events. The MMT will help you meet people ahead of time, plus you'll get to see some of the city instead of just the convention center (that'll probably be a plus to her!). Hopefully there will also be the girl's meetup again. So she can take a break from the barrage of gamey-ness and just chill with some other gals.
    Also, maybe she's played some Pac-man or something when she was younger? The classic console freeplay may feel more accessible to her.
    Ooo! Girl's meetup?! :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Krissta wrote: »

At Prime we did brunch at the Cheesecake Factory (original chosen location decided they didn't want us just a couple days beforehand) on Sunday. I heard there was one at East last year too, but I didn't go because I wasn't yet on the forums. I'm sure the thread will pop up later. Probably after Jan 1.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • shadowhaxorshadowhaxor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I spoke to her about this and she's pretty gung-ho on the whole event, so cheers. You know, this is good stuff for strengthing the relationship as well... should take her to all my gaming related events ;)

shadowhaxor on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Edit. Typing this on a bumpy bus ride with a tempermental iPhone please bare with me. Corrections are near impossible a This Time

Last year's tickets where q gift to me by my girlfriend for Valentine's :). She is into light gaming but definitely not as much as I am, and has shown little interest in everything else there was to be found save foe the concerts where we both had a blast (maybe worth the trip alone as we are both into music). Most of her time was spent with the DS and a book as she read in the bean bags and she said it was a surprising chance to chill out for a few days.

She is comming with me again this year so that should say anyone can come and still have a good time. The only thing I sugegest is that you make some time for her as well. After all is she not doing it for you in the first place? I suggest a nice dinner a the very least. In my case I chose a hotel in a nice accessible place that she could retreat too and spend some time if she feels like it. We also did that last year but she still chose to spend most her time at the con.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • blackthorne2231blackthorne2231 Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    My wife and I went last year. Like your wife, my wife is not a gamer. She had an OK time, the convention floor was a little too much for her, so we did a few panels and one concert. Most of the time, I was at PAX and she was shopping/site seeing. I would recommend staying in boston for an extra day, so you and her can spend time in Boston doing the whole tourist thing (Duck boat tour, shopping, museums, etc). this year im going with friends I havent seen in a while, so my wife is not going.

blackthorne2231 on
  • OphelyaOphelya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Krissta wrote: »
    Yes, please! I'm a wife going to PAX for the first time.

Ophelya on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, do prePAX gatherings. That's a great way for someone who's never experiences PAX before to meet new people to hang out with over the weekend.

And panels like a Night with Scott Kurtz are fun for everyone.

I also wholeheartedly endorse pre-PAX events. My wife has been coming with me since PAX 2004, and while she's somewhat a gamer (more like a retired gamer), the reason she likes PAX is the people. You'll have to keep watching the forums as right now the only things being planned are the Pre-PAX dinner and the dim sum brunch, but later I'm sure somebody will put together a Post-PAX party among others. Also keep your ear to the ground about hotel parties. BarFleet put on a pretty good party last year (while it lasted). The PAX social scene is pretty engaging and generally very welcoming of new people.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A meet up for the lite-gamers would be great :)

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • ShilohShiloh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    last year was our first Pax East, and since then she hasn't stop telling me she can't wait to go back. We have been to I believe 4 or 5 cons up and down the east coast since then, and she compares all of them to Pax, and looks at them with disdain... lol. Final got her into cos-play as well, so If I'm a lucky boy she will be the Anya Stroud to my Cole/Carmine.

Shiloh on
    Be excellent to each other!
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shiloh wrote: »
    last year was our first Pax East, and since then she hasn't stop telling me she can't wait to go back. We have been to I believe 4 or 5 cons up and down the east coast since then, and she compares all of them to Pax, and looks at them with disdain... lol. Final got her into cos-play as well, so If I'm a lucky boy she will be the Anya Stroud to my Cole/Carmine.

Last year WAS the first PAX East ;)

In all seriousness though I guess it could be a fun experience for someone to bring their spouse, provided they are at least somewhat into gaming. I've been informed by my wife that she's not interested in going for two reasons: the first being her only slight interest in games, the other being that she doesn't want me to push her in a wheelchair the whole time (long story, not the right place to explain). While many people do this, she feels it would be a burden on me and my job reporting from the show. So I take my business partner and a friend instead and we have fun ourselves.

I do agree with taking an extra day or 2 in Boston if you can. While it is a little early in the year for some of the stuff, there's a lot to see and do for couples. Highly recommend it.

atiari on
  • shadowhaxorshadowhaxor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    atiari wrote: »

In all seriousness though I guess it could be a fun experience for someone to bring their spouse, provided they are at least somewhat into gaming. I've been informed by my wife that she's not interested in going for two reasons: the first being her only slight interest in games, the other being that she doesn't want me to push her in a wheelchair the whole time (long story, not the right place to explain). While many people do this, she feels it would be a burden on me and my job reporting from the show. So I take my business partner and a friend instead and we have fun ourselves.

I do agree with taking an extra day or 2 in Boston if you can. While it is a little early in the year for some of the stuff, there's a lot to see and do for couples. Highly recommend it.

I agree. I've talked to her about going down a day early or stay a day later, though we'd have to drive then vs taking the train, which is fine its only 5-6 hours. She can't wait and I've taken this time to try and mold her into more than a facebook gamer ;)

First game..... Sims or Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light :)

shadowhaxor on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    atiari wrote: »

I agree. I've talked to her about going down a day early or stay a day later, though we'd have to drive then vs taking the train, which is fine its only 5-6 hours. She can't wait and I've taken this time to try and mold her into more than a facebook gamer ;)

First game..... Sims or Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light :)

Sims tends to be a clear winner with women. If she's into Facebook games chances are that she may like Puzzle Quest, and that could be a bridge to greater things. Other games that may easily work in the same sense are Mario Kart and Tetris. Bonus - All these games can be played on a DS and can be played WITH or against people (emphasis on the WITH). Before you know it she'll fit right in with everyone who will be chilling out in the bean bag char section.

I strongly suggest arriving at least one day early as well. Our plan for last year was to do some sightseeing. We arrived about two hours before the convention started and most of that time was used to check in to our hotel and get to the event. We never really got to play tourist.

Sure, we had time to do have a nice breakfast in town, do some mild shopping and we had our nice fancy dinner, but that was about it. We quickly realized PAX was some kind of marathon event (our first big CON). It felt a bit silly to skip on it to do much else, even if my S.O. is only into light gaming.

Doing so would have felt like participating in the Montreal Marathon and taking a quick lunch break at Cheezeburger Joe's. You know... For the proteins.

You'll find down time during mornings (that's if you don't sleep late) and it won't be too bad if you go out for meals. That's about it, realistically speaking.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png