As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

1495052545562

Posts

  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Really seems like its a really good MMA choke, the padding on the gloves has to make it even quicker to apply.

    Wibod on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    What would actually be amazing is if GSP finishes off Koscheck with a fisherman's choke.

    My fingers are crossed!

    Oh my god... I didn't even think of that. The laughter would be extended to an entire month!

    Please, please, please let this happen. Hehe, have Cody McKenzie in or sitting near GSP's corner when it happens to or watching the fight from back in his room after his own win.

    Hehe, how many MMA guys with grappling of some kind as their main stay must be going "Damn, why didn't I think of that first?"

    I'm stickin' with MacKenzitine no matter how dumb it sounds, the man needs his props now for having everyone sit up and take notice.

    CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didn't the coach of Vinny Magalhaes's TUF season ask him to demonstrate a BJJ technique once? That'd be pretty hilarious if GSP asked Cody.

    Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    I'm calling that choke the Fisherman choke. "McKenzietine" just sounds stupid, I'm sorry. The guys a fisherman, he catches people in his net, then they flop around like fish until they go limp. Its good an I'm sticking with it.

    Apt as Hell and I'm sticking with it. Props, son.
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Fuck me, eleven guillotines in a row. I guess having one go to technique is a viable strategy.

    12 actually. he got in the house with a guillotine also.

    His professional record also doesn't include amateur bouts, so god knows how many more he has under his belt.

    Cody McKenzie is like one of those martial arts legends they tell you about in Karate class - the master whose entire skills set is based around one technique and who takes fools out with ease. Except Cody the Fisherman McKenzie exists. Looking forward to seeing this guy in the UFC, or anywhere else he fights against tough competition.

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I feel like we're getting ahead of ourselves. What happens when he fights a guy whose instinct isn't to take him down. He's got a great weapon against wrestlers, but I'm not convinced he'd win a fight against a competent stand-up guy.

    MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I feel like we're getting ahead of ourselves. What happens when he fights a guy whose instinct isn't to take him down. He's got a great weapon against wrestlers, but I'm not convinced he'd win a fight against a competent stand-up guy.
    Pulls guard

    Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't that kind of the point though of the last fight? That guy who got in the house roster got it with stand up and it isn't Cody's first time at the rodeo, he has faced guys with that plan before and this is pretty much the result.

    CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't that kind of the point though of the last fight? That guy who got in the house roster got it with stand up and it isn't Cody's first time at the rodeo, he has faced guys with that plan before and this is pretty much the result.

    I don't know, he rushed in against a guy who was an experienced wrestler, whose instinct after being caught off guard was to shoot. When things aren't going your way, you go back to your bread and butter. I want to see him fight someone who is a stand-up guy before a wrestler.

    MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Basically, if he fights someone who can defend his one weapon, he might just fail horribly. So it's a bit soon to talk about him like he is anything other than a B-level fighter choking out other B-level fighters

    But it will be interesting to see what happens with the guy.

    Maybe we'll get Sass vs McKenzie in the future <3. Chokes everywhere!

    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    Maybe we'll get Sass vs McKenzie in the future <3. Chokes everywhere!

    As I said, it would be a double choke out.

    Paul would pull guard and lock Cody into a triangle, Cody would then slip his arm around Pauls neck and lean his whole body over pulling Sass into a Fisherman's Friend (it's a breath mint in the UK, I like the name for the choke!) and both are going out.

    :^:

    Venkman90 on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fisherman's Friend *brilliant*

    I gotta say, the prime time shows are doing a fine job hyping me up. They make you like Velasquez, being a cool dude like he his, and then they show Brock and your like :shock: He is fucking enormous! I don't remember him being this big at 119.

    Sparvy on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone else see this interview with Lesnar? The comment about Sonen is hysterical.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s73dayC4S5U

    Snarfmaster on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't forget to make your picks for mmaplayground.com for the fight tomorrow

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone else see this interview with Lesnar? The comment about Sonen is hysterical.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s73dayC4S5U

    If he's joking around it's funny. If it's true it's a little disconcerting that he doesn't take MMA seriously enough to pay attention to other weight divisions..

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Did anyone else see this interview with Lesnar? The comment about Sonen is hysterical.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s73dayC4S5U

    If he's joking around it's funny. If it's true it's a little disconcerting that he doesn't take MMA seriously enough to pay attention to other weight divisions..

    I think he just doesn't take anything seriously other than his family, his training, and his direct competition. And hunting and killing things with his beard.

    EDIT
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    Maybe we'll get Sass vs McKenzie in the future <3. Chokes everywhere!

    As I said, it would be a double choke out.

    Paul would pull guard and lock Cody into a triangle, Cody would then slip his arm around Pauls neck and lean his whole body over pulling Sass into a Fisherman's Friend (it's a breath mint in the UK, I like the name for the choke!) and both are going out.

    :^:

    Possible mutual defecation!

    sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A little bit (or a lot) off topic but I have today off from work and I saw Bully Beatdown was on. I've never seen it but I like Mayhem so I thought I'd check it out. Right now some random kid is talking shit to Andrei Arlovski before their fight. I'm sure the 'bullies' are paid to be assholes on the show, but I don't understand how every single one of them think they can randomly knockout a professional fighter. It just blows my mind. If I saw Andrei Arlovski I'd just fucking leave, keep your TV show, it's just not worth it.

    Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    Basically, if he fights someone who can defend his one weapon, he might just fail horribly. So it's a bit soon to talk about him like he is anything other than a B-level fighter choking out other B-level fighters

    But it will be interesting to see what happens with the guy.

    Maybe we'll get Sass vs McKenzie in the future <3. Chokes everywhere!

    I doubt it will be long before someone comes along that will avoid it. From now on everyone who fights him is going to be drilling guillotine defenses all over the place, and they'll be able to teach their training partners the Fisherman variation (or at least something very close to it) so they can play around with escaping that. There may be novel counters to this version that wouldn't work with a normal guillotine, who knows.

    Sass, or any other good BJJ guy would be very interesting. Cody obviously has one really good move, but whats the rest of his game like? Will a BJJ guy be able to hang out in his guard and avoid the choke?

    I bet the next guy to fight him on the show is just going to stand with him. We haven't seen much of his striking yet so I'm quite curious to see that. And lets remember that you can get and finish guillotines from standing, I'm sure you can do it standing with the Fisherman as well.

    [Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it seems if you can manage to fight the hand and get wrist control enough to pop your head out of the fisherman, you may put yourself in a good place to kimura the dude
    the defenses that people develop for this will be interesting though

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've not been around because I had 120 taped and didn't want anything spoiled but I just watched it and HOLY SHIT CARLOS CONDIT.

    I'm sure it was said at the time but it's worth repeating.

    Peen on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man i'm so pumped for brocktober
    and for hammill to beat tito's stupid face in

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    brock came off a lot less unlikeable than usual in that rome video, but i'm still rooting for velasquez

    Organichu on
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cage Potato has the best picture of Tito up on their front page.

    lolcagepotato :rotate:

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "mma news"

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They had Cheick Kongo threatening them after their UFC 120 coverage of him, and their articles are consistently amusing.

    It's my #1 mma news site.

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Rattlesnake on the trigger HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I've not been around because I had 120 taped and didn't want anything spoiled but I just watched it and HOLY SHIT CARLOS CONDIT.

    I'm sure it was said at the time but it's worth repeating.

    Dude looked hella sharp that fight.

    Dynagrip on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    What would actually be amazing is if GSP finishes off Koscheck with a fisherman's choke.

    My fingers are crossed!

    Oh my god... I didn't even think of that. The laughter would be extended to an entire month!

    Please, please, please let this happen. Hehe, have Cody McKenzie in or sitting near GSP's corner when it happens to or watching the fight from back in his room after his own win.

    Hehe, how many MMA guys with grappling of some kind as their main stay must be going "Damn, why didn't I think of that first?"

    Not everyone's as dumb as McKenzie's opponents. Marquardt didn't shoot when Maia opened with a lazy kick, he just took the opportunity to punch Maia into outer space.

    BubbaT on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited October 2010
    A little bit (or a lot) off topic but I have today off from work and I saw Bully Beatdown was on. I've never seen it but I like Mayhem so I thought I'd check it out. Right now some random kid is talking shit to Andrei Arlovski before their fight. I'm sure the 'bullies' are paid to be assholes on the show, but I don't understand how every single one of them think they can randomly knockout a professional fighter. It just blows my mind. If I saw Andrei Arlovski I'd just fucking leave, keep your TV show, it's just not worth it.

    The bullies are stunt actors, so they're not new to getting extremely beat up in some sort of way.

    Plus, most of the time they bring in nobodies from the MMA world. Andrei and a few others were an exception.

    doug_grammar on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A little bit (or a lot) off topic but I have today off from work and I saw Bully Beatdown was on. I've never seen it but I like Mayhem so I thought I'd check it out. Right now some random kid is talking shit to Andrei Arlovski before their fight. I'm sure the 'bullies' are paid to be assholes on the show, but I don't understand how every single one of them think they can randomly knockout a professional fighter. It just blows my mind. If I saw Andrei Arlovski I'd just fucking leave, keep your TV show, it's just not worth it.

    The bullies are stunt actors, so they're not new to getting extremely beat up in some sort of way.

    Plus, most of the time they bring in nobodies from the MMA world. Andrei and a few others were an exception.

    "Nobodies" in the MMA world would still generally translate into "could beat down a dude off the street mercilessly". I mean, I have some stand up and submission wrestling training under my belt (just started this year), and I'm relatively confident I could put a hurting on someone in a street fight if I was forced to.

    But I get your point. :P

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    weigh ins just finished

    Brock looked beastly as always

    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why do most fighters seem to favor cain tomorrow? hasn't this new nicest viking in the world guy that brock has turned into won anyone (other than bas) over?
    also i dont know what to think about shields/kampmann
    i'm all about hammill and gonzaga though

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think more people would be picking Brock if he hadn't looked so lost in the standup against Carwin, while Cain looked so good in his standup against Big Nog

    Most fighters seem to predict that Brock will be unable to finish Cain before he gasses, and then Cain (who according to media has an unlimited gastank) will finish or decision Brock or hurt him bad on the feet

    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I do think it's a bit silly to say that Cain has this amazing gastank though, when only in one of his 8 fights he's actually taken it to the 3rd round. And that fight was against Kongo, where Cain was able to control both pace and position all the time due to Kongos faults on the ground.

    Who knows how his gas will hold up if the great white ape wrestles him for a round or two, you know?

    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    weigh ins just finished

    Brock looked beastly as always
    Did Brock shave his beard.

    He will lose.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The beard was still going strong

    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    why do most fighters seem to favor cain tomorrow? hasn't this new nicest viking in the world guy that brock has turned into won anyone over?

    Nobody roots for Goliath.


    Neli wrote: »
    I think more people would be picking Brock if he hadn't looked so lost in the standup against Carwin, while Cain looked so good in his standup against Big Nog

    Most fighters seem to predict that Brock will be unable to finish Cain before he gasses, and then Cain (who according to media has an unlimited gastank) will finish or decision Brock or hurt him bad on the feet

    Hurt Brock in the standup? Maybe if he brings a tire iron. Just because Shane Carwin - you know, the guy with the heaviest hands in the entire sport - was able to rock Brock in the standup doesn't mean Brock is suddenly Arlovski.

    Nor does knocking out Big Nog - which Mr. Tough But Fair - make Cain the HW equivalent of Marlon Sandro.

    BubbaT on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i for one will root for goliath (also its not like people didn't choose gsp or silva to win)

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    why do most fighters seem to favor cain tomorrow? hasn't this new nicest viking in the world guy that brock has turned into won anyone over?

    Nobody roots for Goliath.


    Neli wrote: »
    I think more people would be picking Brock if he hadn't looked so lost in the standup against Carwin, while Cain looked so good in his standup against Big Nog

    Most fighters seem to predict that Brock will be unable to finish Cain before he gasses, and then Cain (who according to media has an unlimited gastank) will finish or decision Brock or hurt him bad on the feet

    Hurt Brock in the standup? Maybe if he brings a tire iron. Just because Shane Carwin - you know, the guy with the heaviest hands in the entire sport - was able to rock Brock in the standup doesn't mean Brock is suddenly Arlovski.

    Nor does knocking out Big Nog - which Mr. Tough But Fair - make Cain the HW equivalent of Marlon Sandro.

    Mir also seemed to hurt Brock a bit in their second fight. Not much, but enough that it interrupted Brock's movement, and it wasn't a huge shot or anything.

    I really don't believe in Brock's mythical chin of granite. I haven't seen it. I see no reason why Cain can't get a TKO. This will be a good test though, since if this fight spends any time on the feet Brock is going to be taking some punches.

    [Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Brock is best guys, just believe this fact.

    Also, Tycho, if you're sure care to sig bet over it?

    fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Rattlesnake on the trigger HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Brock is going to demolish Cain. I mean, I hope he doesn't, but I see it as the likeliest outcome.

    Dynagrip on
Sign In or Register to comment.