As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, this discussion got left in the other thread:

$9.99 to transfer over "most" of the RB2 tracks, but likely RHCP and Soundgarden aren't making it over? :(

Also, they're taking OUT some of the tracks that were already exported from RB1? How is that even possible? That's like letting you download a song with DLC and then saying you can't play it in a year's time.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    polaris314 wrote: »
    polaris314 wrote: »
    One thing I haven't really seen discussed or confirmed. Since Pro Drums is generating the charts based on the animation cues now, does this mean the hi-hat open vs closed/yellow vs blue issue will go away, essentially just replacing a yellow/blue pattern with yellow cymbal for all hi-hat hits regardless? I really hope so. It is one of the very few things that still bothers me about how drums are charted.

Pro drum charts are not generated by animation cues. They are hand charted like everything else. There is no trigger for hi-hat, it will switch between yellow and blue like it always has, though some people are 'modding' their kits to have two hi-hat cymbals in the same location just to have the feel right.

Well, I vaguely remember a detail from an interview a month or so ago that alluded that they were getting the cymbal vs pads distinction from the animation cues, since those were there from day one. This is the reason why Pro Drums will work will all existing songs (as opposed to guitar which have to be authored by hand). I guess that gave me false hopes, since I figured that meant that if the animation cue was "hi-hat", then it would translate in Pro mode to "yellow cymbal" regardless of what the hand-authored color was from the base chart. I was hoping this would also mean that charts that mapped the hats to red and snare to yellow would be reversed, since you could now actually play them as intended.

It's by no means a dealbreaker if nothing has changed, but considering how much care went into making sure you are making the correct chord shapes with your fingers in Pro Guitar, it would have been nice if the same attention to "authenticity" were paid to drums.

What I know for certain is that all charts are hand charted. The difference between a Pro and Legacy chart is whether or not your kit can play with cymbals. Pro charts will also detect how many cymbals and which are connected when displaying the specific cymbal hits.

Now, it could be that a fully decked out drum kit will have some kind of hi-hat trigger swap or something. But what I've heard is that the only real change is whether or not you're required to hit the cymbal attachments.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The current rumor is that all RHCP and Soundgarden tracks aren't shown as playable in RB3 due to exclusivity deals with Guitar Hero. Certain people with street broken RB3 games who have RB1 exported have said this is the case and some who've gone ahead and exported RB2 mentioned this was the case as well. I don't believe the DLC for either band is affected, however.

Nonetheless, it's all rumors.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, my point is that the tracks that were exported from RB1 feel like "DLC" to me, in the sense that they shouldn't have to renew their licensing agreement for those tracks. I find it hard to believe they now have to renew them AGAIN. It's also strange that it affects only the legacy RB1 tracks, and not the DLC tracks. I can't imagine the deals they signed differed that much between them.

I'm just really disappointed stuff like this has to happen. It's like Activision knows their games just totally suck now, and they have to get these exclusive agreements to try and give people an excuse to buy them. They can't just let the free market decide the better product. :(

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guitar Hero pretty much ruins everything these days.

Kinda surprised that RHCP would go with the exclusivity route. They always seemed like a Harmonix kind of band, though I guess that's mostly going on the fact that there hasn't been a RHCP song in Guitar Hero since GHIII (not counting On Tour games).

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, this discussion got left in the other thread:

$9.99 to transfer over "most" of the RB2 tracks, but likely RHCP and Soundgarden aren't making it over? :(

Also, they're taking OUT some of the tracks that were already exported from RB1? How is that even possible? That's like letting you download a song with DLC and then saying you can't play it in a year's time.

The belief is because it's been reported that Dani California and Black Hole Sun do not appear in RB3. But I haven't seen anything officially confirming that this is the case and not some goose idiot who deleted the songs and forgot.

It also happens to fall in nicely with the 'exclusive' Soundgarden deal for GH6 and the rumour that Chilly Willy will get their own GH game. But that's how rumours spread. Also, since both bands have RB2 tracks, it's all but confirmed, eh?

And it's possible by coding the game to ignore specific track or artist meta-data. But then that might also mean the entire BSSM album could be voided as well. Honestly, it could actually only mean that the export licensing deals for the two RB1 songs were not worded correctly or properly and legally HMX can't support them going forward.

We'll probably know on Monday the rest of the details.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Suddenly making "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" an INCOMPLETE ALBUM is a fucking HUGE dick move, Activision.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited October 2010

In-game songs are likely licensed for use in that specific game. When the time comes to export, they probably need to re-license those songs to either work in RB3 or work as DLC. It could be that the RB1 re-licensing for RB2 applied only to RB2, and when the time came to re-license for RB3, they had to do it all over again and they ran into exclusivity issues. Though I'm only blindly throwing out guesses at this point.

DLC, on the other hand, is probably licensed with the intent of working on a Rock Band platform and the licensing is already in place for future titles.

Besides, could you imagine blocking the entirety of Blood Sugar Sex Magick from Rock Band 3? There would be riots. Like, LA riots.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
    edited October 2010
    Omeks wrote: »

In-game songs are likely licensed for use in that specific game. When the time comes to export, they probably need to re-license those songs to either work in RB3 or work as DLC. It could be that the RB1 re-licensing for RB2 applied only to RB2, and when the time came to re-license for RB3, they had to do it all over again and they ran into exclusivity issues. Though I'm only blindly throwing out guesses at this point.

DLC, on the other hand, is probably licensed with the intent of working on a Rock Band platform and the licensing is already in place for future titles.

Besides, could you imagine blocking the entirety of Blood Sugar Sex Magick from Rock Band 3? There would be riots. Like, LA riots.

Too bad it's not Chinese Democracy. Then there'd be St. Louis riots.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv68ekzieC4

I kind of figured they'd do that to the brass in that song.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guitar Hero pretty much ruins everything these days.
    God, this so very much.

Seriously pissed about potentially losing Dani California, Give It Away and Spoonman. They better not mess with the DLC because if I can't play Pretty Noose or Under The Bridge anymore I'm going to want to punch things.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • MegaManMegaMan The Blue Shooty Guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've noticed that there's no more mention of the Pearl Jam live songs DLC/project they announced awhile back. Is this no longer happening?

MegaMan on
    "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein
    edited October 2010
    No new information is available.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2010
    We should take bets on what'll come first, news of that DLC or news of HL: Episode 3.

Raiden333 on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Score, picked up the Metal Track Pack (of which I owned 0 songs from) for $11 new.

Looks like I'm gonna be buying a bunch more DLC too, I want to get in on that October promotion they're doing for XBL.

Dehumanized on
    edited October 2010
    Keep in mind that the export fees for LRB and GDRB don't count. As such, RBN content may not count since it isn't technically offered easily.

Either way, it wouldn't be too difficult to find $30 worth of regular DLC that you likely don't already own.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You'd think that if Soundgarden and RHCP were GH-exclusive, they'd make a bigger deal about it. Otherwise, why spend the money?

Yeah, my vote's on "wacky glitch."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    You'd think that if Soundgarden and RHCP were GH-exclusive, they'd make a bigger deal about it. Otherwise, why spend the money?

You have to remember, though, this is the same game series/company that secured the rights to The Eagles, used Hotel California in World Tour, and then never used another Eagles song ever again. They also did the same to Aerosmith, used all their songs in GH: Aerosmith, and didn't use another Aerosmith song until Warriors of Rock, which, I believe, is after their little deal ended.

Not to mention Van Halen, who got the "BOGOF" treatment.

I guess what I'm saying is that Bobby Kotick is the worst.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
    edited October 2010
    Keep in mind that the export fees for LRB and GDRB don't count. As such, RBN content may not count since it isn't technically offered easily.

Either way, it wouldn't be too difficult to find $30 worth of regular DLC that you likely don't already own.

Yeah, I've already dropped 800 points on Super Meat Boy, if I decide I want some of the STP DLC, some of the Billy Joel DLC, and some of the Doors DLC I'm pretty much there.

Dehumanized on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I've already dropped 800 points on Super Meat Boy, if I decide I want some of the STP DLC, some of the Billy Joel DLC, and some of the Doors DLC I'm pretty much there.

Billy joel won't be out in time. It ends oct 31, joel is in dec.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You have to remember, though, this is the same game series/company that secured the rights to The Eagles, used Hotel California in World Tour, and then never used another Eagles song ever again. They also did the same to Aerosmith, used all their songs in GH: Aerosmith, and didn't used another Aerosmith song until Warriors of Rock, which, I believe, is after their little deal ended.

Not to mention Van Halen, who got the "BOGOF" treatment.

I guess what I'm saying is that Bobby Kotick is the worst.

Yeah, but GH:Megadeth is real and so far nobody has said Peace Sells isn't playable. The Chilly Willy version of GH is only a rumour at this point. Soundgarden isn't actually exclusive beyond the rights to the greatest hits album that was just released.

Whether or not Activision uses The Eagles or Aerosmith or whomever correctly doesn't change the fact that every time they have some kind of exclusivity, they tell everybody about it.

It's either some kind of bug or glitch like cloudeagle says, idiots who forgot they deleted the files, or maybe poorly worded export contracts that couldn't be resolved.

People believed GH had Jimi Hendrix exclusivity and RB now has half of his studio output.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2010
    I guess we'll just have to wait until Tuesday to find out.

Until then, at least we can all agree that Bobby Kotick is awful.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
    edited October 2010
    Well, duh!

Anyway, here's the deal, folks. There was a late update to RBN today that I didn't catch until a couple of hours ago. And due to the update to the xbox.com website, half of today's song links don't work (and the affected songs are listed as zero points in the in-game store). So I'm going to wait until tomorrow and hope the website is fixed so I can get confirmed song costs.

If not, I'll just post the list of the songs that do work and hold off until the next update and see what happens.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

Billy joel won't be out in time. It ends oct 31, joel is in dec.

whooooops, guess i didn't read the releases very carefully

s'all good though, i'm sure there is other DLC i should get

Dehumanized on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh hey what do you know I am scheduled to work Tuesday morning

the very first time I've ever had to work in the mornings

and it is an 8 hour shift

the very first time I've ever had to work an 8 hour shift

Speed Racer on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    According to the Team Meat twitter feed, three Super Meat Boy tracks are coming to RBN. What are the odds that the moderation community actually gets these through, as opposed to dicking them over like the Splosion Man tracks?

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited October 2010
    This one is almost surely one of the three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkUz4tWSZ0&feature=related

Raiden333 on
  • KlaytonAmoryKlaytonAmory Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As for all future DLC I believe it'll work on all versions. But obviously the Pro-track version (which costs more) will only work on RB3. I don't see why normal DLC wouldn't work on Rockband 2.

I cannot wait for this game. The Endless Setlist is gonna be amazing.

Still need to put "The Stranger" and "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel on DLC in their entirety. Also, where is my Tom Waits? There is no excuse anymore.

KlaytonAmory on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As for all future DLC I believe it'll work on all versions. But obviously the Pro-track version (which costs more) will only work on RB3. I don't see why normal DLC wouldn't work on Rockband 2.

Still need to put "The Stranger" and "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel on DLC in their entirety. Also, where is my Tom Waits? There is no excuse anymore.

They've specifically stated that from this point onward, no new DLC will work on previous games.

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2010
    also I am surprised that I am evidently the only one who really wants Vienna by Billy Joel! That's one of my favorite songs of his

Speed Racer on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guitar came in today! Affixed that monkey to its rightful spot on my back and just got $40 worth of DLC released in my absence.

It's good to be back

UnbreakableVow on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Yup, last week was the last RB2 and RB1 post-launch content not coming from RBN.

All new RB2 content will be RBN only, which actually sounds neat to me.

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2010
    wait so are there gonna be two separate RBNs now

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2010
    Why would there be two? RBN isn't getting harmonies or keyboard support

Also FUCKITY FUCK FUCK, the Nyko Frontman I got in the mail today is not the same as my old one at all. Like, it's the same guitar, but the strum bar is a bit unresponsive and loud as fuck, loud enough to make the old Xplorer sound whisper-quiet in comparison and drown out all the music.

At this point I'm just ready to say fuck it and just get used to the mushy RB guitars. Are the RB3 guitars essentially going to be the same as the RB2 ones?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2010
    wait what? RBN's not getting keyboards?

Well fuck. The keyboards were the whole reason the Protomen were finally getting on board with it.

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2010
    I always thought that's what I heard. I could be wrong.

I don't see why Protomen couldn't get onboard through regular DLC...they have enough of a cult fanbase

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2010
    keys are included in RBN 2.0. pro guitar is not

http://rockbandaide.com/7608/rock-band-network-2-0-announced/

Dehumanized on
    edited October 2010
    I always thought that's what I heard. I could be wrong.

I don't see why Protomen couldn't get onboard through regular DLC...they have enough of a cult fanbase

they hypothetically could, sure, but RBN seems like it'd be a much easier channel for them to go through

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2010
    keys are included in RBN 2.0. pro guitar is not

http://rockbandaide.com/7608/rock-band-network-2-0-announced/

oh, rad.

so this brings me back to my previous question: are there now gonna be two separate RBNs?

Speed Racer on
  • KlaytonAmoryKlaytonAmory Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

They've specifically stated that from this point onward, no new DLC will work on previous games.

ouch. I missed that statement. I mean I'm getting Rockband 3 anyways...but...damn.

Gotta wait a month on the guitar and keyboard though *sad face*

KlaytonAmory on