As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dunno if this was why, but when I (briefly) tried using melee in F3, using VATS would just teleport you right up to the target. That plus the ridiculous damage resistance you had in VATS seemed to make things pretty easy.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yeaaaaaaah, I just try to ignore troll dens like /b/ and SA. Better for one's sanity.
    I'd say that Bioware and Bethesda's forums are far, far worse when it comes to Trolls, whiners, white knights and borderline sexual predators.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So been playing the crap out of the game and really enjoying it. Not too many major bugs yet, just the usual enemies clipping through the floor problems, some loading problems, and my 360 locked up a few times. Been playing as a character with high repair, science and lockpick, since I find it too hard not to open every container and hack every computer I come across.

Got a question maybe you guys can help me with. Are companions affected by things like radiation? I'm going to be heading into a very irradiated area soon (Hard Luck Blues quest) and I have Boone with me. I'd rather he not die of radiation poisoning, so I was thinking of leaving him behind to do the quest. Is that really necessary?

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kitch wrote: »

Seems like I got my info wrong. Thanks^^

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yeaaaaaaah, I just try to ignore troll dens like /b/ and SA. Better for one's sanity.

There is even a rpg codex refrence.

C2B on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My god. The ending (that I got) for Return to Sender is incredibly depressing.

Jintor on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I tried using that MTUI mod, but it crashes the game right after the first loading screen (even before the main menu). Uninstalling it according to the readme file doesn't stop the crashes - any ideas what's up now? Steam didn't find anything wrong when I verified the game cache.

EDIT: Removing the d3d9.dll from the folder fixed it o_O

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Been having good fun with this, but I'm playing on hardcore and the implementation of sleep, food and water is pretty bad with the interface. Oh and you can't heal in beds anymore D:

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Been having good fun with this, but I'm playing on hardcore and the implementation of sleep, food and water is pretty bad with the interface. Oh and you can't heal in beds anymore D:

Health doesn't restore when sleeping, but I think limbs do (assuming you already used a doctors bag on them). Which is pretty useful if you can't get to a doctor.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Regenerating Health mod + [strike]Higher Damage[/strike] Lower Universal Health = FALLOUT COVER SHOOTER EXTREME

It's totally xtreme.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Who has come across that dude with goggles who asks you to deal with the geckos on the cliff?

EVENT SPOILER:
    Moron, I was leaving the cliff and didn't even know there was a stash until you decided to explain your master plan. Now I shall wear your goggles as a reminder to the Wasteland of what happens to people who try to backstab me.

It's moments like that that I love.

I kind of scooped up everything there, so I am not sure what he is referring to.
    I basically emptied the containers by the table, did I miss something?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Who has come across that dude with goggles who asks you to deal with the geckos on the cliff?

EVENT SPOILER:
    Moron, I was leaving the cliff and didn't even know there was a stash until you decided to explain your master plan. Now I shall wear your goggles as a reminder to the Wasteland of what happens to people who try to backstab me.

I kind of scooped up everything there, so I am not sure what he is referring to.

If you don't leave the same way you came in he won't find you and reveal to you his master plan....

I'm a chronic restarter and I just restarted a few hours ago, and decided to do hardcore mode this time. I have to say I like it. I don't have any companions yet, do you have to manage their dehydration etc...? Because that would be kind of a drag.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

EVENT SPOILER:

If you don't leave the same way you came in he won't find you and reveal to you his master plan....

I'm a chronic restarter and I just restarted a few hours ago, and decided to do hardcore mode this time. I have to say I like it. I don't have any companions yet, do you have to manage their dehydration etc...? Because that would be kind of a drag.

He did, but I am confused if I already did what he was referring to.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrudgematchGrudgematch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well need to vent this somewhere, biggest fail ever. So ordered the collectors edition, the one that comes with the poker set and graphic novel as well as the classic outfit cost me £70.00, but was more than happy to pay it for a game I've been waiting this long for. Game arrives a day earlier than release, "Hurray!" tearing open the packaging my heart feels like a cannon ball as I realise they've sent the PC edition, looking at the receipt the title of the game is so goddamn long on the order form that it doesn't say either PC or 360 version, "argh!" although they could have noticed the PC edition is only £50.00 where the 360 is £70.00. Took it back to the shop and they wouldn't swap it because I'd ordered online so in anger got my money back and bought the regular version.

I hate you GAME

Blergh, sorry, rant over.

Grudgematch on
    Grudgematch.png
    Grudgematch.png
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Nah, and they even regen when you sleep, even though you don't. At least my robot does.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

EVENT SPOILER:

By 'master plan' I meant 'convince that dude to kill the Geckos then kill him so I can get the stash'. When I wasn't aware there was a stash to begin with.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So.. I'm about 26 hours in and I've completed maybe 10 quests. Is there something wrong with me? I mean I just can't stop exploring and looting the shit out of everything I come across (then again I did that with all the fallouts). So far the game is really good (I would put it right behind fallout 2) and it runs pretty well aside from the shitty fps (which I fixed with the dx9 dll) and the micro stuttering when looking around (have yet to find anything to fix that) and it's pretty stable (didn't get any crashes till about 18 hours in, then it went kinda downhill from there but it's not terrible).

What I like:
    - The variety of weapons (fallout 3 had what like 10 guns, then some special versions of the same thing).
    - Hardcore mode + very hard difficulty (I can see myself getting a lot more enjoyment out of this compared to fallout 3's laughably easy "hard difficulty").
    - Charisma and social skills actually being worth a damn this time around.
    - VATS isn't a magic "win" button anymore.
    - Better humor (it just seems to fit the fallout standard of humor, plus wild wasteland is awesome).
    - Gambling!
    - Different ammo types (and the need to use them in some occasions).
    - Crafting (although I really haven't done much with it, its a lot better than fallout 3's system).
    - The game just feels more like fallout (I loved 3 to death though).

What I hate:
    - More bland basement and underground missions.
    - Loot is freaking everywhere, I mean I can't walk TEN FEET without tripping over 3 or 4 ammo boxes, some stimpacks, a couple guns and a first aid box. (I have mounds of stimpacks and ammo that I just sell to get weapon mods or cool guns)
    - Npcs can be extremely dumb. I've had a couple just get stuck on a rock running towards me and all I had to do is beat them over the head with something.
    - Npcs that seem to have rocket boosters installed. Literally they are right next to you in like half a second and they're just bumping into you while attacking making ironsights pretty worthless.
    - Npcs still change voices every 5 minutes.
    - Invisible borders that trigger non hostile npcs to attack you.
    - Same bugs that plagued oblivion and fallout 3.
    - The wasteland seems smaller (it may infact be bigger than fallout 3 but it just seems smaller to me).

Anyway, I still think it's loads better than fallout 3 :P.

mbannick on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

By 'master plan' I meant 'convince that dude to kill the Geckos then kill him so I can get the stash'. When I wasn't aware there was a stash to begin with.

I am asking specifically
    what is the stash? just the 2 containers on the hill by the table and chair?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ohh! Did anyone go into the church basement in searchlight and find:
    The holy hand grenades?
    Is this part of the wild wasteland perk? Or is it just standard humor?

mbannick on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I am asking specifically
    what is the stash? just the 2 containers on the hill by the table and chair?

Oh
    Yeah, beyond the bear traps, I remember getting a 10mm, which was nice.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I got my game working again and now I am back on track to finishing the game. I have currently just finished eating my way through The House Always Wins V:
    The brotherhood of steel assholes

I was going to work with them, but nobody does that shit to me and gets away with it. Nobody.

Edit:
    mbannick wrote: »
    Ohh! Did anyone go into the church basement in searchlight and find:
    The holy hand grenades?
    Is this part of the wild wasteland perk? Or is it just standard humor?

It is part of the Wild Wasteland perk.

Edit2: For those curious, I fixed my reloading time by uninstalling and reinstalling the game on my 360.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck, fuck, fuck. Is there someway, short of having a science of 100 to not get my ass shot off on the third floor of REPCONN headquarters? (Tried to make this as spoiler free as possible.) I just don't have quite enough time before one of those little fuckers catches up to me.

Edit: Nevermind. Found the briefcase.

Luck 7: Ice Cream.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have around 25,000 caps and I've never found the clinic with all the expensive stuff to use them on. Sad panda is sad. Minding, I am now about to finish the game so it's not that important tbh.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have around 25,000 caps and I've never found the clinic with all the expensive stuff to use them on. Sad panda is sad. Minding, I am now about to finish the game so it's not that important tbh.
    Check near the caravan trading co place

Anyone know where I can find a pair of steam pressure gauges? Starting to get annoyed as I have yet to even see one.

My new character is quite manly...how manly you ask? He waltzed into the Quarry and beat the Alpha Deathclaw to death using his bare hands....while wearing a dress. Besides being quite manly is also in relation to no-bark apparently because I've been going to oddest ways to doing things and its succeeded

iRevert on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played all last night, and woke up this morning to find all my saves gone.

About 6 hours of progress.

To say I am angry would be a vast, vast, vast understatement.

Vast.

I am wary of even starting a new game now - who's to say it wont just happen again but 25 hours in.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jesus fuck Vault 11

jesus fuck
    Masterful

Jintor on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Played a bit. Up to Nipton. So uh...

I remember Obsidian saying that between the NCR and the Legion there wasn't any clear good guy.

Now I want to know what they consider evil. D:

On another note, I am fucking fuming that I can't bind VATS to my fourth mouse button. That was incredibly convenient in F3.

Suriko on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When I first started playing the game and Ringo challenged me to Caravan, I was like "Ugh, not in the mood to learn a card game." Yesterday I finally sat down and played a few games and I generally understand how to play now. Still not very good at it though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really enjoy the new weapons in the game, especially since most of them are real world guns. The Browning Hi-power 9mm, the Vaquero .357 and the rest. They did a great job with that, and to me it really helps a ton for the immersion factor. Not to mention the fact that you can reload your ammo now.

One thing I'm wondering and I haven't had a chance to see if it works. Does anyone know if you can use the .38 ammo in the .357 revolver? If so, then I am even more impressed.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Played a bit. Up to Nipton. So uh...

I remember Obsidian saying that between the NCR and the Legion there wasn't any clear good guy.

Now I want to know what they consider evil. D:

On another note, I am fucking fuming that I can't bind VATS to my fourth mouse button. That was incredibly convenient in F3.

Its less good and evil and more about what is good for the wasteland. For example: The NCR is extremly unstable, spread too thin and corrupt in some places. Sure their intentions may be "good". But in the end: What does the world really need the most?

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    FINISHED.

The ending was quite good, but man did the final battle prove to be an absolute bastard. Absolutely no way for a stealth based character to win that.

Edit: How Caesar and his legion work makes more sense when you get to talk to them later on.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha, awesome Wild Wasteland content in Nipton, anyone else found that?
    Two skeletons named Owen and Beru :D

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, I hereby nominate General Oliver for the biggest fucking dumbass in a video game award.

Very very very very very VERY end of game spoilers:
    Yes, you are going to threaten me with my gigantic ROBOT ARMY standing behind you. Sure are clever there chuckles.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Boogdud wrote: »
    I really enjoy the new weapons in the game, especially since most of them are real world guns. The Browning Hi-power 9mm, the Vaquero .357 and the rest. They did a great job with that, and to me it really helps a ton for the immersion factor. Not to mention the fact that you can reload your ammo now.

One thing I'm wondering and I haven't had a chance to see if it works. Does anyone know if you can use the .38 ammo in the .357 revolver? If so, then I am even more impressed.

You can.

.223 works in 5.56 guns also.

Hibernus on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So after my first character got locked in some sort of an infinite loop of quest markers, I restarted.

I'm now playing a similar character, though it's a girl this time. And I subbed out Guns for Energy Weapons. Kind of regretting that decision, but it's still early. When your only tagged weapon is a terribly beat up Laser Pistol the early game can really kick your ass. I've got Boone and ED-E now, though, so life's gotten a little easier. The trip from Primm to Novac was rough.

Now I think I'm going to push on to the strip and get me some decent energy weapons. I'm tired of going back to my Varmint Rifle at long ranges.

I will say this, though; the ammo crafting for energy weapons is a lot less of a pain in the ass. Much more intuitive and far fewer moving parts.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    FINISHED.

The ending was quite good, but man did the final battle prove to be an absolute bastard. Absolutely no way for a stealth based character to win that.

Edit: How Caesar and his legion work makes more sense when you get to talk to them later on.

Small Review?

C2B on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've just been systematically massacring the legion every time I see them, not sure they'll want to explain anything to me Q_Q

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh, picked this up yesterday, played for about 8 hours straight. Spent a lot of my time thinking that thematically, it was a lot darker than Fallout 3.
    Then I got to Novac. Fucking crazytown out of nowhere. Got the 'town quest' off No-Bark, who was crazy enough, and meeting the guy who thought he was a ghoul, the glowing ghoul who wants to take his people into space, and the Nightkin in the basement with Antler, and then to top it off, the ghoul trapped in the basement. "I'm not trapped, this was a tactical choice. Ah, fine, I'm trapped."

I laughed pretty much all the way through that quest.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Three questions regarding weapon mods.

1) Is there some way to recover mods that have been applied to a weapon? Or are those forever locked on that weapon (seems to be the case)?

2) Are there multiple copies of the same mod out there? Like are there two Laser Rifle Scopes or whatever?

3) Can named weapons take weapon mods?

Basically, if I throw my scope on the gun I have now, and then find a special version of it, am I out of luck on getting a scope for the new gun?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, these threads are moving way too fast for me to cover everything...

For the second night in a row I've lost my progress because my save games are just...gone? Left Goodspring and did bunch of stuff in Primm last night, and now according to the game I've only just left the doctor's place at the beginning. Steam client btw.

Google shows a bunch of people complaining about this but nothing really solid, or points back here where there's literally hundreds of pages to weed through. Anyone able to summarize what gives?

kegghead on