As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh, picked this up yesterday, played for about 8 hours straight. Spent a lot of my time thinking that thematically, it was a lot darker than Fallout 3.
    Then I got to Novac. Fucking crazytown out of nowhere. Got the 'town quest' off No-Bark, who was crazy enough, and meeting the guy who thought he was a ghoul, the glowing ghoul who wants to take his people into space, and the Nightkin in the basement with Antler, and then to top it off, the ghoul trapped in the basement. "I'm not trapped, this was a tactical choice. Ah, fine, I'm trapped."

I laughed pretty much all the way through that quest.
    Yeah, "darker" isn't really a way I'd go with it. Definitely different, though. Strikingly less bleak and lonely, in general. There are a lot more people moving around the wastes than in FO3. Probably because of the difference in themes between the two storylines.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Apparently it's steam cloud related. Bloody hell, that should be disabled by default. Time to start again for the third time.

kegghead on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To: The Sniper Rifle

lewdly, passion oozes
    fruit spatters, dead powerless
    gruesome rainmaker

XOXOXO

<3

ps- I love you

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Have you tried the Anti-Materiel Rifle yet?

Because I think that might endanger your relationship.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kegghead wrote: »
    Ok, these threads are moving way too fast for me to cover everything...

For the second night in a row I've lost my progress because my save games are just...gone? Left Goodspring and did bunch of stuff in Primm last night, and now according to the game I've only just left the doctor's place at the beginning. Steam client btw.

Google shows a bunch of people complaining about this but nothing really solid, or points back here where there's literally hundreds of pages to weed through. Anyone able to summarize what gives?

It'll lose your autosaves and quicksaves, but not your hard saves. When you start, go to "load" instead of "continue."

Torso Boy on
    edited October 2010
    D:

I just hauled this sucker out of
    Vault 34
    are you telling me there's better?

I'm going to grow an eleventh toe because of that adventure.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    D:

I just hauled this sucker out of
    Vault 34
    are you telling me there's better?

I'm going to grow an eleventh toe because of that adventure.
    If by "better" you mean "more head explodey" then "yes".

OptimusZed on

• jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »

For the second night in a row I've lost my progress because my save games are just...gone? Left Goodspring and did bunch of stuff in Primm last night, and now according to the game I've only just left the doctor's place at the beginning. Steam client btw.

Google shows a bunch of people complaining about this but nothing really solid, or points back here where there's literally hundreds of pages to weed through. Anyone able to summarize what gives?

It'll lose your autosaves and quicksaves, but not your hard saves. When you start, go to "load" instead of "continue."

I had this issue with auto/quick saves gone. Found this on the NV forums and was able to recover my files:
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1122859-attention-saves-arent-missing/

jedikuonji on
    edited October 2010
    To: Sniper Rifle
    Subject: I think we should see other people.

It's not me, it's you.

Can we still be friends?

xoxo

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited October 2010

It's not me, it's you.

Can we still be friends?

xoxo
    Provided you've got the 7k or so caps you need.

OptimusZed on

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there an addon that lets you actually use VATS at long range yet?

SniperGuy on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goddamnit NCR [ending]
    Is there any way to side with the goody two shoes without having to sacrifice the Brotherhood? If not... independant I go!

Jintor on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't found anything good with the Wild Wasteland trait yet.
    I feel like I'm missing out.

Rizzi on
    edited October 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I haven't found anything good with the Wild Wasteland trait yet.
    I feel like I'm missing out.
    I've found a couple of Monty Python references, but that's about it.

OptimusZed on

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It doesn't even lose those. They're still in your mygames folder as .bak.

Search for my posts in this forum and you'll find the fix. I don't remember exactly where I found it but it actually cripples the steamcloud so it doesn't work at all for the game and removes access for steam to write to it at all.

Worked like a charm for me :^:

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I restarted again.
    I think I'll play as a lesbian cowgirl cannibal this time.

Rizzi on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's not me, it's you.

Can we still be friends?

xoxo

To Basil
    Subject: My love you depress me (RE: I think we should see other people)

Oh, Basil. When I felt your hands grabbing me. At that moment I was already yours.

You can't leave me Basil

YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE ME BASIL

Because if you do..... If you do I'll tell EVERYONE what REALLY happened in the vault you took me from.

And you don't want that Basil

NO, YOU DON'T

I LOVE YOU BASIL

ONLY ME

I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER BASIL

C2B on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Goddamnit NCR [ending]
    Is there any way to side with the goody two shoes without having to sacrifice the Brotherhood? If not... independant I go!
    Yeah, I hated that part as well. Just seemed kinda forced. No speech or diplomatic options, to try and explain to the NCR that the Brotherhood is still mostly holed up underground and seriously lacking manpower, and therefor no immediate threat to the NCR's interests.

Metallikat on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    FINISHED.

The ending was quite good, but man did the final battle prove to be an absolute bastard. Absolutely no way for a stealth based character to win that.

Edit: How Caesar and his legion work makes more sense when you get to talk to them later on.

Small Review?

Overall other than bugs and the silly load issue they introduced I am pretty happy with Fallout NV. I won't really mention bugs because everyone else has and there isn't a lot I can say that will be new. Mostly I'll just summarize my main likes/dislikes.

I love the improved writing, dialogue and quests over Fallout 3. It reminds me more of the first games in this regard. There is always "Fetch this shit" quests in every RPG though, but the unique quests in this game really do stand out very well.

The game balance is vastly improved. For once I was challenged for the entire game on hard/hardcore. I was very impressed. Melee enemies though do massive amounts of damage. A supermutant with a sledgehammer or even a gecko is more dangerous than an entire platoon of ranged enemies. That's a bit strange. Either way though, the wasteland is something to be feared and it really builds an atmosphere of terror in uncivilized areas: Something Fallout 3 didn't succeed in.

VATs is no longer god mode. This is a good thing.

The perk balance being better is overall healthy for the game, plus there are tons of bonus perks to pick up for shooting people and just killing things. I approve greatly. I no longer just pick the same perks every time because they are infinitely better than everything else. Most things are useful.

This is a game for science/repair/speech. I think these three skills, plus maybe even barter give you the most useful dialogue options and the fastest work arounds to certain otherwise aggravatingly long quests.

Iron Sights and shooting is definitely better than Fallout 3. But only to a degree. VATs being largely useless as it might as well be a huge neon "RAPE ME" sign to melee enemies means that long distance combat is more of a must. Thankfully iron sights are very accurate even with reasonably poor gun skills, so this isn't anywhere near the problem it could have been.

Once the plot gets going - albeit it takes a long time to do so - it really gets going. It's also really clear your decisions are putting you down a certain path: No reloading at the last 5 minutes to see every ending here. It was very satisfying as well.

The Faction system works very well and I was extremely pleased with how my decisions aided (or didn't) what I was trying to do.

Kept the best aspect of Fallout 3: The satisfying exploration. You find somewhere horrible, barely get out alive and are richly rewarded with decent stuff for it. Very pleasing.

Complaints:

They still haven't fixed the stealing in plain sight thing. What I mean by this is say someone has a nice gun, but they are standing right in front of it. How do you get it? Well simple, you pick it up (not into your inventory) by using the drag command (whatever it is on PC, no idea). Once you have got safely out of sight, THEN pick it up. You can happily do this to remove any items that would ordinarily be very hard to steal. It's just daft people will react to you taking it if they see it, but not if you take it around the corner and then it mysteriously disappears there. It's just really strange they haven't made it so they'll react to you pilfering their stuff that way.

The multiple part huge fetch quests with many loading zones can die in a fire. This is a bug complaint in some ways, but they would suck even without long load times.

Can't fast travel into the strip? Was very obnoxious needing to cross 4 loading zones to get back in there again.

Hardcore mode doesn't go far enough. I enjoyed it far more than I did Fallout 3 and it took me a *long* time to break the economy (even then, there is still very expensive stuff that is worth spending caps on). The main problem is that by the end of the game I had around 100 stimpacks, 30 super stims and such forth. These could really have used weight as well, because they sort of make food pointless (Then again, I was a cannibal as well) for healing. It takes ages to get dehydrated/starving etc, so overall the impact is a noticeable but not significantly massive increase in difficulty.

I absolutely hate the fact everyone looks the same. When 2/3 of the NPCs have very similar looking models to one another, differentiated by clothing it gets very disconcerting when talking to anyone. This is just a flaw of the engines/models though, probably not something that can be easily fixed. I miss the puppet heads in FO/FO2, that crush anything in this game for personality by miles (except maybe 2 characters).

Overall:

Aside from the bugs, which almost killed my enthusiasm this is one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time and very faithful to the original (and best game) Fallout. All the things they harkened back to helped ground this game in the series compared to Fallout 3. Fallout 3 felt like a collection of things hacked out of Fallout/Fallout 2 and thrown together to make a Fallout game, not a genuine update. While Fallout NV feels like a logical extension of Fallout 2, with the NCR expanding, references to numerous areas from the first game (obviously in canon the Hub was not wiped out by supermutants, STICK THAT BUGGED ENDING). I really felt like I was playing a genuine sequel to the first games while playing New Vegas, something that while Fallout 3 definitely felt like it was in the same universe, it didn't feel like it was coherent.

If it wasn't for my huge load time bug I would have played my previous character for much longer, but none the less NV accommodated a really odd build very well. My sole real bad taste is the final battle. It's just fucking sadistic for a stealth based character and was brutally unfair. Other than that though, I am happily playing through it with a new character and that's the sign of a good RPG.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goddamnit NCR [ending]

I can't answer your question, and I'm also working on the NCR quests but...
    I'm guessing they want you to find a way to blow up the bunker. I know there's a self destruct module there. I wouldn't want to do that either, though I do want to work for the NCR.

I've done most of the Brotherhood quests by installing Hardin as the leader and ended up joining the faction. However, I don't see them outside of the bunker, ever. It almost feels that blowing them up would make little difference in the long run aside from not being able to buy from their store again. Plus, I don't know how plentiful Power Armor would be, not that it's very easily come by even as a member of the Brotherhood

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After reading what you guys wrote about the NCR correctional facility here, I was a little worried about heading there to be honest..but as it turns out, it was rather easy.
    I just climbed up the hill next to it and started sniping with my Varmint Rifle. I wasted a lot of ammo, but eventually everyone outside was dead and had barely taken any hits. Then I just went inside the building and killed the rest of the guys with the help of my trust 10 mm-Submachinegun and Ed-E.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    So in order to beat my weird sound lag bug i have to play the game in window mode.

The fuck? o_O

Well at least i can play it now.

ffdshow installed?

Create an exception for New Vegas

Nope, even when its not installed its still happening.

Deaderinred on
    edited October 2010
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Goddamnit NCR [ending]

I can't answer your question, and I'm also working on the NCR quests but...
    I'm guessing they want you to find a way to blow up the bunker. I know there's a self destruct module there. I wouldn't want to do that either, though I do want to work for the NCR.

I've done most of the Brotherhood quests by installing Hardin as the leader and ended up joining the faction. However, I don't see them outside of the bunker, ever. It almost feels that blowing them up would make little difference in the long run aside from not being able to buy from their store again. Plus, I don't know how plentiful Power Armor would be, not that it's very easily come by even as a member of the Brotherhood

Unsure why, but the game wouldn't let me
    reveal the Elder's breaking of the Chain of Command (or whatever) until after I had already handed that quest token in, meaning that it all sucked.

Anyway, endgame.
    Independant ending was somewhat lacking. Man, I guess I dropped Archimedes on Caesar, but I still wanted to put the bullet in his head myself. Lamesticks. Oh well, I loved the ending slideshow though, especially how it's all narrated by the relevent person for the slide.

Sadfayse Veronica :<

Jintor on
  • keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jedikuonji wrote: »

I had this issue with auto/quick saves gone. Found this on the NV forums and was able to recover my files:
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1122859-attention-saves-arent-missing/

Yeah, first thing I did was look there. The most recent file had a timestamp that was a good four hours off from when I stopped playing. The data appears to be lost. I restarted. Game goes fast when you're not dicking around, though I did a lot less wandring and gathering.

kegghead on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just entered the New Vegas Strip for the first time.

Decided to check my time played: 24 hours 21 minutes.

I think I spend too much time exploring.

SteevL on
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know who is the only invincible NPC in the game? I can't think of who it might be beyond the various kids.

Aegeri on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, i know that the mods for the PC version really improved everything, but, I don't have a PC to run this game, so would it be a waste to buy it on PS3?

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mr. Yes is my favourite MacGuffin ever.

I've done a whole bunch of shit up to just entering the strip and haven't found a really good gun yet though, which is kind of annoying. Do have one baller ass sledgehammer though.

L|ama on
    edited October 2010
    Oh hell yeah, Yes Man is incredible.

Jintor on
    edited October 2010
    Oh hell yeah, Yes Man is incredible.

His dialogue is plain outrageous.

Aegeri on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that one, for some reason my brain decided to remember his name wrong. It could also have something to do with it being 4am.

L|ama on
    edited October 2010
    I also liked Benny and the many different ways you could deal with him.
    I really want to find out if it affects the ending if you try and let him escape (assuming you didn't kill him at the Tops) by murdering everyone in Caesar's legion more or less, since it seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to get him out in a sneaky fashion

Mind you even giving him the Stealth boy apparently all the guards can still see him so they just rocket punch empty air and his corpse comes flying out of it. It's death by police more or less, except that I always get caught in the crossfire

Jintor on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I can't find ECP ammo to save my life. My poor laser tommy gun just sits in my inventory scowling at me as I wander the wastes faceblasting things with my cowboy repeater/service rifle.

HappylilElf on
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dumb question alert, how do you use weapon mods? I bought the scope to a 9mm pistol, I have a 9mm pistol, common sense dictates I can attach it-
    Nope.
    Went to the two workbenches that I've found, nope. I even went to the bloody campfire I found and tried it. No such luck.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pc version you go into inventory highlight the weapon and hit x (its on the menu on the right) for some reason it isnt letting me mod named guns tho... maybe i just need better mods... or a mod mod... off to the nexus

farbekrieg on
  • skibo8826skibo8826 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can just attach it in the item menu on your Pip-Boy. I think it is the Right Bumper if you are playing Xbox. Not sure what it is for PC and PS3.

**Drats, beat to the punch

skibo8826 on
    GT: mashbaugh67
    SCII: Sain.437
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    Dumb question alert, how do you use weapon mods? I bought the scope to a 9mm pistol, I have a 9mm pistol, common sense dictates I can attach it-
    Nope.
    Went to the two workbenches that I've found, nope. I even went to the bloody campfire I found and tried it. No such luck.

You manage it in your inventory. When you select a weapon, just hit the x key to see what mods can be installed.

Metallikat on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, console or PC or does it matter?

Basically, is it worth playing on a console without awesome mods?

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5670346/review-fallout-new-vegas

After reading this and their review I am blown away by their staffs general lack of Fallout knowledge. I can except that most gamers today are younger and have limited experience with Fallout pre FO3. But come on, one of the top game media outlets? The review all but slammed the game for not feeling like Fallout because it strayed too much from FO3 atmosphere....ugh. Done ranting for the day. I'm going to go eat those sour grapes for lunch.

GalactusGo on
    edited October 2010
    Yes, many of the ideas of the best mods in FO3 are already in this game.

Also, you see that a lot and even from people in this thread about NV not feeling like "Fallout". This game feels very much like the OLD games. The originals as opposed to Fallout 3.

Aegeri on