As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has repair changed since fallout 3? i have 25 yet i can repair a 9mm way pass the notch and almost to 100%.. D:

Deaderinred on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, luck effects your gambling? That is some jacked up shit.

Honestly, pisses me off.

I might have to start over AGAIN.

Anon the Felon on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So is it just me, or is the combat AI a hell of a lot dumber this time around?

Take FO3 for instance. Alot of the time, the AI would take cover behind objects to minimize their profile. This was especially notable in some areas of the Washington DC ruins.

Now, they just kind of run at you and die. Is it just me who's noticing this?

Archonex on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Honestly, pisses me off.

You're pissed off cause you just found out that LUCK governs games of Chance? Really?
    Archonex wrote: »

Take FO3 for instance. Alot of the time, the AI would take cover behind objects to minimize their profile. This was especially notable in some areas of the Washington DC ruins.

I only noticed it with Legion
    its their prefered style of fighting

Buttcleft on
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Honestly, pisses me off.

You're pissed off cause you just found out that LUCK governs games of Chance? Really?

Kinda, I mean...I thought it was just a mini game, I didn't think that luck actually had any effect.

Anon the Felon on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Honestly, pisses me off.

Is this for real?

I honestly can't tell.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Honestly, pisses me off.

Kinda, I mean...I thought it was just a mini game, I didn't think that luck actually had any effect.

Luck has a huuuge effect in this game.

BoredGamer on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Archonex wrote: »

This sounds exactly like the AI in FO3 to me. I can't remember anybody ever taking cover. Not the slightest grasp of cover, tactics, or self-preservation in either game.

Gaslight on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh, NV is the first time I've ever seen NPC's take cover.

I thought it was something new.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The AI in Fallout 3 and NV is equally as retarded.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BoredGamer wrote: »

Honestly, pisses me off.

Luck has a huuuge effect in this game.

My mind boggles that someone couldn't make the connection between literal gambling and a Luck stat.

captaink on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can you give cass any other weapons?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Honestly, pisses me off.

Uhh. You are messing with us right?

Of all the things luck would influence.

Know what nevermind. **SAVAGE TWITCH** NEVERMIND.

reddeath on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Luck: Not a dump stat in Vegas.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So it seems that being under the effects of alcohol when leveling up causes you to lose skill points because of the intelligence drain. I assume this applies to other drugs that drain intelligence as well.

So now I'm wondering - if having a -1 Int because of alcohol when you level up makes you lose a few skill points, would using an item that gives +1 Int before you level up give you more skill points?

Loathing on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Honestly, pisses me off.

Wakka wakka wakka

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2010
    How does Veronica compare to Boone, combatwise?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2010
    Loathing wrote: »
    So it seems that being under the effects of alcohol when leveling up causes you to lose skill points because of the intelligence drain. I assume this applies to other drugs that drain intelligence as well.

So now I'm wondering - if having a -1 Int because of alcohol when you level up makes you lose a few skill points, would using an item that gives +1 Int before you level up give you more skill points?

1 int is only half a skill point in either case, so it's not a big deal.

If it was the case, and you managed to have Mentats active every level up, you'd get 30 more skillpoints over the course of the game. Not bad, but not gamebreaking either.

captaink on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well would be nice for very little effort really. I can still see myself having a whole bunch of skills maxed at 100 by the time I hit level thirty so its not that big of a deal really.

Loathing on
    edited October 2010
    Probably run into Mentats addiction (they're addictive, right?) taking them that many times. No biggie though.

captaink on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I don't think there's any comparison, if only for Boone's tendency to end fights before you even notice they've started.

But she's pretty good at what she does, and you can give her power armor.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Haven't played with Boone, just got Veronica. Ms. Day is your girl if you want help in tight spots or just like the style of having a companion who pneumatically punches people to death. I've heard Boone is pretty badass verging on (according to a few people) overpowered with his sniping ability. The ability Boone gives you to eliminate threats from a distance is probably more useful overall, although he may get you in some fights you didn't want to get in because he hits from so far away (although all companions will do this sometimes).

Gaslight on
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Urgh, I wish there was an option to have my autosaves... well, auto. It's all well and good having autosaves when changing areas and such, but I wish there was an option for saving every five minutes or something for people like me who travel the wastes for an hour and get stuck in a rock. You know. Stupid people.

mr-razzcocks on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've never had Boone start a fight he couldn't finish well before whatever he shot reached me, for what it's worth.

Boone is broken, he has pinpoint accuracy at completely absurd ranges and his rifle is enough to take down giant radscorpions in a few hits.

Veronica is good, and in Hardcore you may appreciate her ability to become a walking tank with power armor, but using Boone first may spoil you a little.

Maddoc on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has repair changed since fallout 3? i have 25 yet i can repair a 9mm way pass the notch and almost to 100%.. D:

I think instead of having your repair skill determine the max you can repair, it now determines how much material (it probably also takes into account the state of said material) you need in order to get it up to or close to 100%.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited October 2010
    That's kinda why I'm saving Boone for a second playthrough.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited October 2010
    You know what, you can all bash away. But look at it from another perspective for a second before you get all up in arms.

It's a mini game. Luck has a bearing on many other aspects of the game, the fact that it has an effect on gambling makes sense indeed, but is actually not an intuitive point. Yes, it is logical. But, to hinder a player from gambling because they chose to drop luck is not...well, it's not what I would have done.

The gambling in this game is simply for fun, sure you can make caps that will effect the world, but in the real world, even the most "unlucky" can gamble on an even playing field with those who are "lucky" (Because let's face it luck isn't real).

I can understand the angst, but you also have to realize it's just a mini-game I, personally, would not have tied it to a stat if I was a developer. So that all characters can feel that they have an equal chance of making it rich, or going broke.

Anon the Felon on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Urgh, I wish there was an option to have my autosaves... well, auto. It's all well and good having autosaves when changing areas and such, but I wish there was an option for saving every five minutes or something for people like me who travel the wastes for an hour and get stuck in a rock. You know. Stupid people.

With any luck, someone will do a mod for it.

Otherwise, you can become like me: I hit F5 constantly and compulsively. Even when I'm not in-game.

Which can make posting here more difficult than it needs to be.

Torso Boy on
    edited October 2010
    I'll probably swap Veronica or Cass in for Boone during the part of the story when he is... inconvenient.

OptimusZed on

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know what, you can all bash away. But look at it from another perspective for a second before you get all up in arms.

It's a mini game. Luck has a bearing on many other aspects of the game, the fact that it has an effect on gambling makes sense indeed, but is actually not an intuitive point. Yes, it is logical. But, to hinder a player from gambling because they chose to drop luck is not...well, it's not what I would have done.

The gambling in this game is simply for fun, sure you can make caps that will effect the world, but in the real world, even the most "unlucky" can gamble on an even playing field with those who are "lucky" (Because let's face it luck isn't real).

I can understand the angst, but you also have to realize it's just a mini-game I, personally, would not have tied it to a stat if I was a developer. So that all characters can feel that they have an equal chance of making it rich, or going broke.

I take it you haven't played F1 or F2. Because Luck governed gambling there as well. And since New Vegas has partially a throwback...

Besides, you can always play Caravan.

Also, I am totally taking your first line and sigging it out of context.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited October 2010
    My character has a Charisma score of 1, which means I can't pass any speech checks. It hinders me. If it didn't, this wouldn't be a very good role-playing game.
    Luck is real in Fallout. It affects literally everything in the game.
    It's "just a mini-game" that can provide an immense benefit to a player. To say the gambling is meaningless is to say that money in the game is meaningless. I mean, the game has "Vegas" right in the title, what did you expect?

Torso Boy on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Umm, the "luck" stat in this game is about as close to real life luck as youre going to get. Being lucky in a game of chance meaning that you do better is basically the most intuitive thing on the planet. If its "just a mini-game" i dont understand why youre so upset about not doing well because you have bad luck?

And i mean, its a roleplaying game, so if you have 1 luck, and youre the most unlucky bastard in all the wastes, is it really likely that when you roll into new vegas your going to walk out a rich man because of your fantastic streaks in games of chance? More likely youre going to get mistaken for someone else who was cheating and have all of your limbs broken with hammers. And all your money taken. Because youre unlucky.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
    edited October 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »

With any luck, someone will do a mod for it.

Otherwise, you can become like me: I hit F5 constantly and compulsively. Even when I'm not in-game.

Which can make posting here more difficult than it needs to be.

I imagine someone is going to port the CASM mod over soon enough.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited October 2010
    Is that UI mod that I forget the name of released yet?

captaink on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone who does not roll with Danny Trejo is doing it wrong.

Verr on
    edited October 2010
    I've only found Boone and ED-E so far.

captaink on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I don't think anyone is angsting. I think you're getting made fun of for saying you were 'pissed' that luck has an influence on games of chance. Minigames did this to your generation I think.

I mean, heavens kid, the game has VEGAS in the title. VEGAS. LUCK. LADY LUCK. GAMBLING. LUCK. CHANCE. LUCK.

reddeath on
  • gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There is nothing quite like smashing a bullhorn so hard in the ass with a supersledge that its head explodes.

gnodab on
    edited October 2010
    gnodab wrote: »
    There is nothing quite like smashing a bullhorn so hard in the ass with a supersledge that its head explodes.

I'm going to remember this spontaneously and break out in laughter and a very inopportune moment. I will blame you.

Torso Boy on
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember seeing the Varmint Rifle in trailers/streams and thought "What an awful gun!" then I got it and modified it with a nightvision scope and a silencer, and its my favourite gun at the moment,
    picking off powder gangers with oneshot kills from incredible distance, whats not to like ? Isnt there a magazine upgrade mod for the Varmint Rifle too ?

Sirialis on