As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know what, you can all bash away. But look at it from another perspective for a second before you get all up in arms.

Your argument doesn't make any sense though is the problem. Gambling is inherently tied to luck, because gambling is luck based.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I remember seeing the Varmint Rifle in trailers/streams and thought "What an awful gun!" then I got it and modified it with a nightvision scope and a silencer, and its my favourite gun at the moment,
    picking off powder gangers with oneshot kills from incredible distance, whats not to like ? Isnt there a magazine upgrade mod for the Varmint Rifle too ?

Yeah, there is. I just got it, I think I bought it from the merchant at the Crimson Carvan company HQ. I don't have the scope and silencer yet, though. :( Where did you get 'em?

Gaslight on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    reddeath wrote: »
    You know what, you can all bash away. But look at it from another perspective for a second before you get all up in arms.

It's a mini game. Luck has a bearing on many other aspects of the game, the fact that it has an effect on gambling makes sense indeed, but is actually not an intuitive point. Yes, it is logical. But, to hinder a player from gambling because they chose to drop luck is not...well, it's not what I would have done.

The gambling in this game is simply for fun, sure you can make caps that will effect the world, but in the real world, even the most "unlucky" can gamble on an even playing field with those who are "lucky" (Because let's face it luck isn't real).

I can understand the angst, but you also have to realize it's just a mini-game I, personally, would not have tied it to a stat if I was a developer. So that all characters can feel that they have an equal chance of making it rich, or going broke.

I don't think anyone is angsting. I think you're getting made fun of for saying you were 'pissed' that luck has an influence on games of chance. Minigames did this to your generation I think.

I mean, heavens kid, the game has VEGAS in the title. VEGAS. LUCK. LADY LUCK. GAMBLING. LUCK. CHANCE. LUCK.

This is the one I am going to reply to. First, not kid, I actually take that as a terrible condisention on your part over something rather minute. Second this is all because I am a realist about luck in the real world. I do not believe in it as an actual thing.

Regardless, I did not expect such a harsh reaction over a simple thought on my part, that the extensive gambling content was tied to a stat that some might drop down, therefor removing the content from any playability (out side of wallowing in futility) .

Anyway I'm going to drop it and move on. I see the danger that this will turn into a flame war over something that either has to be assumed, or learned in game (and is not expressed to you at creation). I will say, my initial post was kind of a joke. While I do feel it is...how do I put this...flawed in a way. It was most obviously sarcastic.

Anon the Felon on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember seeing the Varmint Rifle in trailers/streams and thought "What an awful gun!" then I got it and modified it with a nightvision scope and a silencer, and its my favourite gun at the moment,
    picking off powder gangers with oneshot kills from incredible distance, whats not to like ? Isnt there a magazine upgrade mod for the Varmint Rifle too ?

The 'what's not to like' is the piss-poor damage compared to every other option.

But it's okay. You'll find a hunting rifle eventually.

Or you could just get Boone and let him do it.

Then everything dies.

It's magical.

Astale on
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

Yeah, there is. I just got it, I think I bought it from the merchant at the Crimson Carvan company HQ. I don't have the scope and silencer yet, though. :( Where did you get 'em?

I got them from Goodsprings General Store, its randomly altered every 3 days I think, got the Pistol mag upgrade along with the Varmint scope, next time it was Varmint Silencer and another Pistol mag upgrade

Also for people nervous about bugs, I've played for 14 hours I think, and I only got a weird bug that was also in Fallout 3 with some weird textures, which was gone after I reloaded my last save.

Edit: Astale, I restarted so I'm basicly level 4 or something and at this point in time the Varmint is just awesome, but yeah when I get further I would guess it will lack some punch.

Sirialis on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Urgh, I wish there was an option to have my autosaves... well, auto. It's all well and good having autosaves when changing areas and such, but I wish there was an option for saving every five minutes or something for people like me who travel the wastes for an hour and get stuck in a rock. You know. Stupid people.

are you on PC or console?

If PC, when you get stuck just press ~, type in TCL, get out of the stuck area, then press ~ and type TCL again to turn it off

I just started a new character. Decided I would be a powder ganger/legion friend this time.

I just finished up in good springs and I dont know if I can even continue on this road. :(

Buttcleft on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Boone abandoned me. I went to the strip and saved to take a break for a while. When I loaded my game again he was gone. I can't find him anywhere. I checked Lucky 38's presidential suite and Novac. Is this a bug? Must I reload my save from hours ago? :(

P.S. Boone is freakin' overpowered. I haven't had any other companions yet, but typically I just stand around and let him do his own thing while the XP steadily rolls in.

RT800 on
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Urgh, I wish there was an option to have my autosaves... well, auto. It's all well and good having autosaves when changing areas and such, but I wish there was an option for saving every five minutes or something for people like me who travel the wastes for an hour and get stuck in a rock. You know. Stupid people.

are you on PC or console?

i'm playing on 360, so even if somebody modded it, I'd still be screwed.

Although, thinking about my original comment, it'd probably be more useful if getting stuck in rocks wasn't an issue, rather than the autosave system.

mr-razzcocks on
    edited October 2010

I got them from Goodsprings General Store, its randomly altered every 3 days I think, got the Pistol mag upgrade along with the Varmint scope, next time it was Varmint Silencer and another Pistol mag upgrade

Rats, the only weapon mod I've seen at the Goodsprings store so far is the scope for the 9mm pistol.

Gaslight on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Regardless, I did not expect such a harsh reaction over a simple thought on my part, that the extensive gambling content was tied to a stat that some might drop down, therefor removing the content from any playability (out side of wallowing in futility) .

Anyway I'm going to drop it and move on. I see the danger that this will turn into a flame war over something that either has to be assumed, or learned in game (and is not expressed to you at creation). I will say, my initial post was kind of a joke. While I do feel it is...how do I put this...flawed in a way. It was most obviously sarcastic.

You drop ANY stat, and you can bet it's either going to make corresponding content more painful or impossible.

Also, you totally made the terrible mistake assuming that sarcasm can be easily read.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited October 2010
    Second this is all because I am a realist about luck in the real world. I do not believe in it as an actual thing.

"Realist" seems like a questionable label here.

Can we assume that you and your friends don't settle disagreements over where to get lunch by coin flip very often?

Hell man, shouldn't any reasonable person kind of have to expect that there are consequences to skimping on some stats just like there are benefits to boosting others? I mean, if you drop your INT down to 1 then you go through the whole game as a drooling moron with ridiculous dialogue options. It's all tradeoffs.

Gaslight on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's a mini game. Luck has a bearing on many other aspects of the game, the fact that it has an effect on gambling makes sense indeed, but is actually not an intuitive point. Yes, it is logical. But, to hinder a player from gambling because they chose to drop luck is not...well, it's not what I would have done.

The gambling in this game is simply for fun, sure you can make caps that will effect the world, but in the real world, even the most "unlucky" can gamble on an even playing field with those who are "lucky" (Because let's face it luck isn't real).

I can understand the angst, but you also have to realize it's just a mini-game I, personally, would not have tied it to a stat if I was a developer. So that all characters can feel that they have an equal chance of making it rich, or going broke.

I don't think anyone is angsting. I think you're getting made fun of for saying you were 'pissed' that luck has an influence on games of chance. Minigames did this to your generation I think.

I mean, heavens kid, the game has VEGAS in the title. VEGAS. LUCK. LADY LUCK. GAMBLING. LUCK. CHANCE. LUCK.

This is the one I am going to reply to. First, not kid, I actually take that as a terrible condisention on your part over something rather minute. Second this is all because I am a realist about luck in the real world. I do not believe in it as an actual thing.

Its not even just luck though. If you drop STR to 1 you wont be able to use most weapons to any effect. If you drop CHA to 1 you wont be able to do any speech checks. If you drop INT to 1 you wont be able to... i dont know but theres gotta be stuff based on INT. Along with all the other SPECIAL stats. Intentionally gimping your character by giving him 1 in any stat is closing things off to you. Thats the choice you make in a roleplaying game. If there was a big list of things you will and wont be able to do because of your stat choices in the first minute, i think that would kind of ruin the game.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Just bear in mind that lowering any stat can remove content, but if you missed out on the original fallout games you certainly might not intuit that.

Oh man, does new vegas have proper low-int play? I didn't even think to check.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited October 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

You drop ANY stat, and you can bet it's either going to make corresponding content more painful or impossible.

Also, you totally made the terrible mistake assuming that sarcasm can be easily read.

Clearly the only option is for obsidian to release a pach that lets all skills be 100 and all SPECIAL be 10, so we don't get locked out of anything or life made harder by our choices

Buttcleft on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I actually agree with you. I'm not pissed that Luck governs gambling, nor do I think it should not be the case.

But I do think that your chances of winning while playing BlackJack should be governed only by how well or badly you're playing blackjack.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Is that UI mod that I forget the name of released yet?

Darnified UI? The creator said the first version should be out really soon, probably tomorrow or the day after.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    QUESTION Regarding Novac.
    The Stealthed Nightkin responsible for the Brahmin killings at midnight - What the hell do I do with him? Kill him? Is there any point to this freeform quest other than it being pretty cool to see happen in the dead of night?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    But I do think that your chances of winning while playing BlackJack should be governed only by how well or badly you're playing blackjack.

Except that the infinitesimally small amount of skill which is actually involved in playing Blackjack pales in comparison to the effect that the random shuffle of the cards (colloquially known as luck) has on the outcome.

Gaslight on
  • dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Verr wrote: »
    Anyone who does not roll with Danny Trejo is doing it wrong.

I'm with this guy. I had Boone for a while. He helped make the trip up the mountain pretty damn easy, but I had to send him home because, well, Danny Motherfucking Trejo started calling me "boss." You don't let an opportunity like that slip away, man.
    although walking outside after grabbing Raul was pretty interesting - I'd just sent Boone away, so he was leaving as we got outside. Maybe ten feet away from us as Tabitha and a couple other nightkin are getting murdered, and he's just walking away nonchalantly, completely ignoring the battle. I like to imagine his train of thought is something like "Fuck this guy. He fired me for that goddamn ghoul? He's on his own now."

"I'm sure you'll amaze me with your dizzying mercantile sense, boss."

also, he's pretty dead-on with that magnum, and I'm sure I'm saving a little something on repairs because of him. Mainly rolling with a Cowboy Repeater and a 10mm SMG for close-quarters, and I haven't been hurting for SMGs to keep it in good condition. Repeaters are a little more rare, but so far, it's only dropped below the "maintenance" bar once or twice since I grabbed Raul.

dj.subversive on
    edited October 2010

Except that the infinitesimally small amount of skill which is actually involved in playing Blackjack pales in comparison to the effect that the random shuffle of the cards (colloquially known as luck) has on the outcome.

In one sitting of blackjack i made 6000 caps, with 5 or 6 luck.

Buttcleft on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    QUESTION Regarding Novac.
    The Stealthed Nightkin responsible for the Brahmin killings at midnight - What the hell do I do with him? Kill him? Is there any point to this freeform quest other than it being pretty cool to see happen in the dead of night?

I have no idea.
    I killed him when he ran up and started attacking the brahmin. He carries a holotape that says he hates brahmin. The dude in the house wont let me tell him it was the nightkin. My only option is to say "Nothing yet".

If you havent finished all the novac quests though it gets explained a bit more exactly whats going on.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
    edited October 2010
    Anyone else disappointed that the strip is cut up into 3 areas?

I was hoping it was gonna be one contiguous cell. I know it was probably for performance concerns, but still makes me sad.

Buttcleft on
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there any way to make a lot of caps besides gambling? I made like 2000 from slots but it took 30 minutes.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    Is there any way to make a lot of caps besides gambling? I made like 2000 from slots but it took 30 minutes.

Harvest, repair, and sell weapons.

You can make stupid amounts of money with that.

Buttcleft on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hoy Carumba! After getting my hands on some of the real nice high-tier weapons, I once again have to repeat my sentiment that energy weapons and their users got hosed, and hosed bad. Spoiled weapon discussion for people who want that authentic squee! moment when they first lay hands on a good/mint-condition weapon:
    Most of us already know the hunting and sniper rifles kick major ass at 50+ damage a shot, but these suckers don't have shit on the Brush Gun and Anti-Material Rifle, which as things stand in my current game are both 100+ monsters, and the Brush Gun is only six pounds - granted the ammo is an absolute bitch to find, but I've been thinking of writing a mod for the reloading bench that lets you make shells out of scrap metal, and if I don't do it chances are one of the bigger mods eventually will.

Unarmed dudes get some really nice toys as well: power fist's checking in at 55 or so and lettin' you dish out the pain in a close-quarters fight, and then there's its mutated brother the Ballistic Fist which is 97 and lets me punch out Giant Radscorpians in like three hits, as well as a sort of in-between called the "Displacer Fist" which I haven't had a chance to test yet but sounds like it'd be fun. From a bunch of legion dudes I also grabbed what looks like a unique unarmed weapon that does something like 60 damage a shot, and you could probably grab it before Boulder City if you were ballsy enough.

Melee's kinda' touchy as there isn't really that much to be excited about, but once you grab a Super Sledge shit really picks up as that does something like 85 damage a hit, not to mention the Chainsaw which is also stupendously strong if you don't mind the 20 pounds it takes up.

But energy weapons? Shafted. I found a unique Plasma Rifle while crawling around somewhere, but it's nothing to write home about whatsoever and still gets outdone something fierce by the Cowboy Repeater and other weapons. Plasma Defender's nice for a pistol but chews up ammo twice as fast, and the Plasma Caster, while about 25% stronger than the rifle, splits the damage amongst 3 individual bolts like a shotgun, which is weak as fuck.

EDIT: Yeah, weapons dealing has always been a lucritive moneymaker in the Fallout games. First two you could just crawl around for good random encounters like press gangs or marauders along the Redding>NCR trade route, and the second pair you could hobble together some mint-conditions with all the spares you'll be rolling in with a high repair skill and rake in the caps, especially in New Vegas since there's massive value inflation with a lot of the new weapons compared to FO3.

Sorenson on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I think I've stumbled onto an immersion breaking glitch or something.

I was Hated with the Legion for a while after a certain area. They sent out people to kill me and any I bumped into were after my head. But then after a while of not seeing any I bump into some and...

... I can.. talk to them? They say hello and shit? What's going on here?

I check my reputation and yep, still Hated according to my pip boy. So I kill a few more to see if it's just a one off thing and then I turn Villified. Surely that will do the trick..

I'm currently standing in the middle of a Legion base, totally Villified and they are all non hostile. My game feels broken now. I was looking forward to actually having to avoid / engage the Legion but now I can just walk through without any resistance. Sure I could start the fights myself but I shouldn't have to damn it.

And before you say no I am not disguised.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Howlin' Mad MurphyHowlin' Mad Murphy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I did some looking in to this skill point/alcohol stuff. Turns out I wasn't losing skill points, it's just the way the new mechanic for intelligence was working.

It carries over skill points less than 1 between levels. I had picked the Educated perk on a level I received 13 skill points, which I assumed was my base amount of skill points but was actually +1 because of a .5 point carry over.

So when I leveled up next I expected my skill points to be 15, but it ended up being 14 ( base of 12.5 at 5 int + 2 from Educated). I was drunk at the time so I assumed I lost a point because of the intelligence debuff.

Howlin' Mad Murphy on
  • Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Mr. Yes is my favourite MacGuffin ever.

I've done a whole bunch of shit up to just entering the strip and haven't found a really good gun yet though, which is kind of annoying. Do have one baller ass sledgehammer though.

The Cowboy Repeater found on many Legion dudes was pretty good against the low-mid level stuff for me. Also, there's an Arms Dealer at the 188 Trading Post which is Northwest of Boulder City.

If the NCR does not hate you, try McCarran Airport. Not real spoiler material, but it might slant your opinion of a certain character:
    Contreras, an NCR troop in charge of weapons distribution, claims he will let you look at his "special inventory" if you send a note to some Gun Runners. Not sure how good his inventory is afterward since I have yet to finish the quest. Before the quest, though, he had a Missile Launcher that I am now going to try and use for sneak attacks.

in regards to McCarran:
    if you go to the woman interrogating the legion prisoner and give her evidence that Contreras is dirty then she'll give you a bitchin' M1 Garand called "That Machine" or something like that

also in regards to the NCR ending and the Brotherhood question asked earlier:
    i convinced the brotherhood to join with the NCR. pretty sure it was a speech challenge you get after finishing all the brotherhood quests

Doctor Deimos on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    About the energy weapons...how are they after you apply mods to them?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was just walking across the wasteland when I thought to myself "You know, I've been really lucky. This game has only locked up on me once so far."

Three seconds later, it hard-locked on me.

SteevL on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone else disappointed that the strip is cut up into 3 areas?

I was hoping it was gonna be one contiguous cell. I know it was probably for performance concerns, but still makes me sad.

Lets hope the next fallout game has a better engine

Brotherhood spoiler:
    After Veronica telling the elder that the pulse gun could let one person wipe out the whole brotherhood and I decided to test it.

Yep. One shotting paladins erryday

override367 on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I just don't think he's found any of the *best* energy weapons yet, a fully modded, or unique named laser rifle will compete with anything but the highest end guns, and the named gauss rifle does 110+ damage per shot, energy weapons hold up just fine

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've played for around 10 hours, I think, and I am having a blast. Aside from screwing up my character's face-- I wanted him to look like Denzel Washington and he looks like Eddie Murphy-- everything is great. It only froze once (ps3) so far.

I want to make Nemo a Ranger. Can you do that?

I was going to change my plan of taking the Cowboy perk, but then I got That Gun, and it is revolver, so yeah.

Can Rex find supplies behind locked doors, the way Dogmeat could? I really want that unique .357, but have lockpick at 25.

DouglasDanger on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is New Vegas (City) the Fallout Imperial City I wanted?

Kadoken on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The energy weapons don't seem to have any iron sights on them. What gives?

Delta Assault on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The energy weapons don't seem to have any iron sights on them. What gives?

They dont get sights...

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, luck effects your gambling? That is some jacked up shit.

Honestly, pisses me off.

I might have to start over AGAIN.

You're pissed off cause you just found out that LUCK governs games of Chance? Really?

A little late (damn this thread moves fast), but limed for truth

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I just don't think he's found any of the *best* energy weapons yet, a fully modded, or unique named laser rifle will compete with anything but the highest end guns, and the named gauss rifle does 110+ damage per shot, energy weapons hold up just fine

I'm always torn up between using the unique stuff and the modded stuff. On one hand, the unique stuff is at least a little more powerful and often cool looking, and on the other hand you can get some good functionality out of the modded stuff (which often looks cool with mods as well). Sigh, hopefully some intrepid modder will add weapon mods to the unique's.

Metallikat on
    edited October 2010
    Getting kicked out of the Casino
    Is it when you win 10,000 caps total, or is it if you win 10,000 caps in one visit.

Can you win 7,000, leave, come back later and win another 7000 or will they say NO after 3,000 and kick you ou cause you total'd 10k winnings

Buttcleft on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I don't think I'm going to be able to ever get ED-E back, after dropping him off for "upgrades" it's never shown up again for me to pick him up.

Also, Boone won't draw his weapon anymore, he only attacks with fists, no matter what weapon I give him or what I tell him to do.

Had to reload a save from a while back, this is a bit frustrating.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg