As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Brock is best guys, just believe this fact.

Also, Tycho, if you're sure care to sig bet over it?

I'll pass. I'm not betting on Cain for this fight, truly I have no idea who it will go to. I do think however that its possible to KO/TKO Brock, and that its probably not any more difficult than another HW. Brock will have the advantage early on I think, he'll likely get a takedown and do some pounding. The striking will be slow at first, with Brock doing pretty well in rounds 1 and 2. If the fight goes past round 2 I'm giving the nod to Cain. He's much more comfortable with his hands, and given time to warm up and find his range I think he'll out-point Brock, if not out hurt him as well. If Cain is able to stuff Brock's takedowns with any consistency then Brock is in for a tough night. If Cain can't get up from his back, or takes damage standing, Brock will be a-ok.

But no, I'm far to cowardly for a sig bet, not in this fight.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want Brock to lose. I don't care how.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why you gotta hate
    hes a gentle viking

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    why you gotta hate
    hes a gentle viking

I've hated Brock ever since he and Goldberg decided to say 'fuck it' and waste everyone's time at Wrestlemania 20 and basically disrespect all of wrestling. Fucking douche move. He's done nothing since to make me like him.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
    edited October 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    why you gotta hate
    hes a gentle viking

I've hated Brock ever since he and Goldberg decided to say 'fuck it' and waste everyone's time at Wrestlemania 20 and basically disrespect all of wrestling. Fucking douche move. He's done nothing since to make me like him.

what if he rubs you with his fuzzy beard

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    why you gotta hate
    hes a gentle viking

oooOOoooh, a pro wrestling grudge. That shit be serious.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    why you gotta hate
    hes a gentle viking

oooOOoooh, a pro wrestling grudge. That shit be serious.
    What, he doesn't have any residual respect for almost hitting that Shooting Star Press? :lol:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really don't believe in Brock's mythical chin of granite. I haven't seen it. I see no reason why Cain can't get a TKO.
    Cain's pillow hands won't even make a dent.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If Cain couldn't KO/TKO Chiekh I don't see how he finishes Brock.

Side note: does anyone have cooler shirts than Cheikh? I mean he blows (yet I love him) but his shirts are cool.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    I really don't believe in Brock's mythical chin of granite. I haven't seen it. I see no reason why Cain can't get a TKO.

Nice reverse-jinx. I see you working!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not seeing where Cain wins the fight. Anything's possible in any fight but I'm betting Brock all the way.

I picked an awful lot of decisions in this card, I hope I'm wrong, it would suck to have a mediocre PPV card right after a pretty good free card last weekend.

Peen on
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/274666/Cain-Velasquez-hits-harder-than-any-boxer-tested-on-Sports-Science/

:o
    Cain Velasquez hits harder than any boxer tested on Sports Science

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    If Cain couldn't KO/TKO Chiekh I don't see how he finishes Brock.

Side note: does anyone have cooler shirts than Cheikh? I mean he blows (yet I love him) but his shirts are cool.

I don't see how this is a valid comparison. Kongo is good on the feet. Cain never had a chance to hurt him because every time Cain got within striking distance, he got fucking dropped by Kongo. He won't have that problem with Brock, whose standup skills are questionable at best. I still think Brock probably takes it though. I will not be upset if I'm wrong. :)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's a guy with 8 fights fighting another guy with 6 fights

On top of this, they are heavyweights. It could so easily go either way

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forumite wrote: »

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/274666/Cain-Velasquez-hits-harder-than-any-boxer-tested-on-Sports-Science/

:o

That's some scary shit, honestly.

However, I would be interested to see how Carwin's shots measure up on the same scale, since Brock took quite a few of those.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Reznik.

Let's bet avatars.

You take Cain, I'll take Brock.

JustinSane07 on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Reznik.

Let's bet avatars.

If he takes the bet and wins he should give you the jail bars avatar.

Dynagrip on
    edited October 2010
    he would have to change his location too :P

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not going to be able to catch the fight live tonight.. I'll be back tomorrow once I've seen it.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    So I tried out the ol Fisherman choke at BJJ today.

Didn't go so well! I only tried it in rolling and it certainly didn't come naturally. You have to rotate your wrist and kinda your whole arm as well in order to get your palm facing away from the guys neck. Its also difficult to get the arm all the way in, although I was training with a gi that makes it a lot tougher.

A guy at the gym let me try it out on him. When I did get it he said it was very tight and also cut off air flow. Either way, the choke is not as easy as it looks, and you can't just treat it as a guillotine that you finish differently. The whole set up has to be varied as well.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I'm not going to be able to catch the fight live tonight.. I'll be back tomorrow once I've seen it.

I did that once, communication blackout. Coming out of the mountains I turn my phone back on and I get a text from a friend who does not watch MMA. I figure it's a safe read. The text read "That fight was cool, Brock getting destroyed but then winning in the end". For some fucking reason he'd happened to watch that one.

The moral of the story is never go half blackout.

Cabezone on
    edited October 2010
    its interesting though cause with fighters like brock, you can spoil the fight for me all you want, i'll still want to see how he destroys or gets destroyed
    with other sports, knowing the outcome ruins a lot of the viewing experience, a lot less so with MMA

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    Reznik.

Let's bet avatars.

As much as I want Brock to lose... I don't know enough about Cain to bet on him. I don't think I've ever actually seen one of Cain's fights. So it would be a little silly of me to bet solely based on my hatred of Brock.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
    edited October 2010
    What always happens is I find out which fights were decisions before I get to catch the whole PPV.

Then I can barely bring myself to watch them, and when I do I end up fast forwarding through the entire thing.

adytum on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    What always happens is I find out which fights were decisions.

Then I can barely bring myself to watch them, and when I do I end up fast forwarding through the entire thing.

same

i don't want to be 'that guy' who's only in it for a brutal finish, but so many decisions end up boring me

Organichu on
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

same

i don't want to be 'that guy' who's only in it for a brutal finish, but so many decisions end up boring me

It's just that a lot of decisions end up being 15 minutes of bullshit.

If it's A-grade grappling and near-finishes, I'm watching it. For example, I could probably sit through all 25 minutes of GSP vs. Dan Hardy again. That was a good fight, even though it went the distance.

On the other hand, if it's Jon Fitch laying on someone for 15 minutes, or Handy pressing someone up against the cage for 3 rounds.. I'm fast forwarding.

adytum on
    edited October 2010

same

i bet frank mir is that guy who calls up his buddies and spoils fights for them
    how do you feel about that
    hmmmmmm?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lesnar/Velazquez news
    - At this time, there is no movement at all toward opening up a 125 pound weight division in WEC.

- At yesterday's weigh-ins, Brock Lesnar was 20-pounds heavier that Cain Velasquez. Visually, he looked to be more like 30-pounds bigger due to his bone structure and that he is thicker, muscularly, that Velasquez.

- The winner of tonight's Lesnar/Velasquez heavyweight title fight will face Junior Dos Santos, likely in the spring.

- If Brock Lesnar happens to lose tonight, the word is that his next fight will be a rematch with Frank Mir.

- Word is that Herb Dean will officiate tonight's Lesnar/Velasquez heavyweight title fight.

Sweeney Tom on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

same

If it's A-grade grappling and near-finishes, I'm watching it. For example, I could probably sit through all 25 minutes of GSP vs. Dan Hardy again. That was a good fight, even though it went the distance.

On the other hand, if it's Jon Fitch laying on someone for 15 minutes, or Handy pressing someone up against the cage for 3 rounds.. I'm fast forwarding.

I'll almost always watch a decision fight unless I hear it's really terrible. I mean look at Bisping/Akiyama from last week; I'm sure you guys have been over this but that was a good solid fight, nothing spectacular but worth watching.

Peen on
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »

same

I'll almost always watch a decision fight unless I hear it's really terrible. I mean look at Bisping/Akiyama from lats wek; I'm sure you guys have been over this but that was a good solid fight, nothing spectacular but worth watching.
    I have a hard time rewatching fights where fighters I like lose by decision when IMO they had the tools to win.

See also: Florian vs Maynard

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »

same

I'll almost always watch a decision fight unless I hear it's really terrible. I mean look at Bisping/Akiyama from last week; I'm sure you guys have been over this but that was a good solid fight, nothing spectacular but worth watching.

Yeah, there are definitely some worth watching.

I just feel like the majority aren't.

I'm happy to watch them live or if I don't know the results, though.

adytum on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Reznik.

Let's bet avatars.

As much as I want Brock to lose... I don't know enough about Cain to bet on him. I don't think I've ever actually seen one of Cain's fights. So it would be a little silly of me to bet solely based on my hatred of Brock.

ChickenLittle_300x298.jpg

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2010
    oh shiiiiiiii

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010

same

i bet frank mir is that guy who calls up his buddies and spoils fights for them
    how do you feel about that
    hmmmmmm?

maybe those punk bitches ought to have watched the fights live

Organichu on
    edited October 2010
    in unrelated news, frank mir:

-once donated a billion dollars to charity
    -can bench press roy nelson
    -doesn't stop having sex until the woman is dead
    -is a professional hand model

Organichu on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm with Cain.

I'm willing to bet everything on the line. Everything.

For an entire month.

doug_grammar on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had an absolutely amazing match in EA MMA.

I was using classic Ken Shamrock, and my opponent picked classic Bas Rutten. From the matchup, it figures that Shamrock has the upper hand in grappling while Bas has the deadlier strikes.

Round 1, Shamrock picks Bas apart with shots from distance, landing liver shot after liver shot. Right when Bas is on the ropes, he shoots for a takedown on Shamrock, and takes down an overextended Shamrock who was looking for a quick finish. On the ground is an epic battle for position, ending up with Bas sinking in a heel hook attempt. What happened next was an unbelievable battle of wills as Shamrock fights through the pain and breaks free to an advantageous position. When Shamrock gambles on trying to move to an even better position, Bas reverses and takes his back. Bas then sinks in a DEEP rear naked choke, and Shamrock is on the verge of going out...and that's when the bell rings signifying the end of round 1.

Round 2, it seems that the points are either even or on Bas' side for his dominance. Shamrock tries to work the standup but Bas chases him down and hurts him with hooks and head kicks. Shamrock responds with body blows to the liver mixed in with leg kicks, to slow Bas down. Bas looks hurt, and Shamrock advances with strikes. As expected, Bas tries to shoot in and take Shamrock down to recover, but Shamrock stuffs the takedown and end up on Bas' back, locking in a TIGHT darce choke. Bas looks like he's about to tap...and that's when the bell rings signifying the end of round 2.

Round 3, by this time in the final round it is obvious that Bas is ahead on points, so it's all or nothing for Shamrock. He comes forward with strikes trying to finish the match, but Bas is too much stronger than Shamrock and pushes him back with his own strikes, almost knocking Shamrock out. At this time, Shamrock looks like Two-Face with his left eye looking huge as if it was about to pop out of its socket. Bas looks like Batman as the bruises around his eyes form a darkish blue mask. In desperation, Shamrock shoots and Bas stuffs it, but the push has managed to back Bas into the cage where he has no room to maneuver. They both start to exchange shots, but when Shamrock throws a devastating right to counter Bas' own right hook, Bas is rocked and falls down. Shamrock quickly jumps on top and hammafists Bas over and over, at least 13 times as Bas refuses to give up, even as time is ticking down towards the end. Finally, the ref steps in and stops the fight. Shamrock wins via Round 3 TKO.

And then my opponent disconnects. I earn the win on my record, and he gets a Did Not Finish and an increase on his disconnect percentage on his record.

That is why EA MMA is better than that terrible THQ UFC game.

Forumite wrote: »

That's some scary shit, honestly.

However, I would be interested to see how Carwin's shots measure up on the same scale, since Brock took quite a few of those.
    His punch probably registers at OVER 9000 pounds of force, because Sports Science is about as accurate as The Deadliest Warrior.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2010
    Reznik.

Let's bet avatars.

ChickenLittle_300x298.jpg

Why yes, that is a character voiced by Zach Braff. I haven't seen that movie, though.

Just like I haven't seen any of Cain's fights.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
    edited October 2010
    yowza
    evening lookin good for TUF alumni so far

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    cote/lawlor
    fucking hell cote cage grab ruins my rd1 sub prediction

Spectrum on