As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited November 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
[UPDATE 1/24/2015]

Below is a list of the various fan edits coming out now. Mine won't be available until later in the year after the BotFA:EE comes out, but in the meantime have fun with these and let's discuss what works and what doesn't.

- https://ahobbitsholiday.wordpress.com/
- https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/ (the "Tolkien" edit)
- http://definitivehobbitcut.tumblr.com/

Well I'm a'starting one, anyhow.

The last two weeks have seen some huge advances toward getting this lumbering beast on the screen, and everyone (tentatively) looks set to go for a February 2011 production start. While it looks like this film(s?) is already being a little haunted, things are definitely moving ahead.

What troubles, you ask? Well, chronologically:

- New Line got their pants sued off for basically cheating everyone involved in the LOTR trilogy out of money, from Jackson and the cast all the way down to catering and grips. Bob Shaye, head of New Line, was apparently a legendary douchebag and even went so far as saying that Jackson would never work for New Line again and he would block The Hobbit at all costs. However, the board at New Line realized that The Hobbit was potentially worth a billion dollars in revenue, and Bob Shaye wasn't worth a cheap suit from T.J. Maxx. Shaye got the boot; Jackson was asked to come back and start pre-production.

- The Tolkien estate, as always, threatened to sue. Who knows why; it's just what they do. They sue everyone, all the time. Eventually, the suit was dropped.

- Jackson says that while he, Boyens, and Walsh would all work on The Hobbit, he had other irons in the fire. He brings on creature-feature wunderkind Guillermo del Toro to direct. The world is both equally sad and happy in its reaction to the news.

- MGM, partial owner of the rights to The Hobbit, goes belly-up. Bankruptcy proceedings begin in a process that would last almost a year. The whole time, the fate of The Hobbit is up in the air. No greenlight has been given yet.

- Stages that were built during pre-production languish in the months to come, falling into disrepair. Guillermo del Toro says he has too many Frankenstein meets Cthulhu movies to make, and bails on the production after six months of idleness. Things look grim. The movie has no studio, no start date, and no director.

- A fire burns down a pre-production studio in New Zealand.

- After months of speculation, some good news at last. Spyglass agrees to buy out MGM, and the movie is go! Jackson agrees to direct the film, and things are looking up.

- With word of imminent production, a New Zealand film industry guild boycotts the production, seeking higher wages and benefits. Warners counters with, "Hey, Ireland looks like a nice place, too." The union counter-counters with, "Oh, hey, just kidding." Warner triple-counters with, "Too bad. We're probably still moving."

And that brings us up to date.

But hey! Good news! Today we have the first official casting announcements from Jackson and company!

Bilbo - Martin Freeman (The Office, Hitchhikers Guide)
Gandalf - Ian McKellan
Dwarves - Relative unknowns, mostly from British TV shows

That's it for now. Keep watching this space.

Atomika on

• Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That Ian McKellen is reprising his role as Gandalf is excellent news. I don't know who could have done it better than him.

It is sad that we can't go back in time and get a young Ian Holm for Bilbo, but such is temporal existence.

edit: Just googled Martin Freeman, as I couldn't put a face to the name--they did a good job picking someone who looks like a young Ian Holm! Hopefully he'll fit the bill.

Nucker on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Martin Freeman is pretty much perfect.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Was wondering something--I can only assume that they'll bring back Andy Serkis as Gollum, yes? Please say yes?

Nucker on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is pretty good Bilbo casting.

And obviously hooray that McKellan is back on board, though I recall Gandalf playing a smaller role in The Hobbit though I haven't read it in a while.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And Hugo Weaving, Elrond was a pretty big deal in the Hobbit.

The speculation of Bill Nighy as Smaug makes me giggle like a 24-year old man who cares too much about the Hobbit.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    Was wondering something--I can only assume that they'll bring back Andy Serkis as Gollum, yes? Please say yes?

Not official yet, but Jackson and Serkis have both unofficially said it's a done deal.

Expect more casting to come in the next few days. We've still got several dwarves and some key humans to cast. Rumor has it that both David Tennant (of Doctor Who fame) and Michael Fassbender (of being awesome in everything he's ever done fame) are locks to play roles TBD.

The only one that no one is talking about is Hugo Weaving returning for Elrond, and I'll be quite disappointed if his part is written out or recast due to a lack of involvement. Fingers crossed.

Atomika on
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DHS wrote: »

The speculation of Bill Nighy as Smaug makes me giggle like a 24-year old man who cares too much about the Hobbit.

You are not alone. Not even a little.

EDIT: I could definitely see Fassbender as either Bard or Beorn. I agree, he's really really good and has the look of a Middle-Earth man. Maybe we'll get Tennat as King Thranduil. It'd be a nice counter as a wood elf to Weaving's high elf Elrond.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still annoyed that they released the goddamn theatrical editions of LotR on Blu-Ray but not the extended editions. Why would anyone willingly buy the theatrical editions when the extended versions are so much better? And why should companies be allowed to be douchebags and hold out.

Arghlebargle.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Richard Armitage from Spooks is apparently playing Thorin Oakenshield.

Bogart on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know it's very wrong to admit but I hate hate hate Lord of the Rings.

However The Hobbit is everything right with a story.
    Are they still committed to breaking it into two movies?

I think their casting for Bilbo is spot on.

useless4 on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Hobbit movies finally being made make me excited beyond belief. While I immensely enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies, the books were fairly difficult to read as a child. The Hobbit, however, was a fantastic read when I was a kid so I'm sure the movies will be amazing. Also Sir Ian McKellan returning is some of the best news possible.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    OT: Is Spooks worth watching beyond S4 or S5? I enjoyed it until Matthew McFadyen left, then I got more and more bored. The last episode I remember seeing is the one that introduces the Lindsay Duncan character.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kirbith wrote: »
    The Hobbit movies finally being made make me excited beyond belief. While I immensely enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies, the books were fairly difficult to read as a child. The Hobbit, however, was a fantastic read when I was a kid so I'm sure the movies will be amazing. Also Sir Ian McKellan returning is some of the best news possible.

Could not agree more. I owned both LotR and the deluxe edition of The Hobbit as a kid and I tried reading the former once, stopped halfway through. But I absolutely adored the hobbit. It's funny, I'm rewatching the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I just reread the Hobbit. When I have some more time I'm going to tackle the actual series once and for all.

But I love that McKellan is back.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    martin freeman is one of my favorite people in the world to see in anything and I have super high hopes for this

not that I didn't before but that's incredibly exciting! woooooooooooooooooo

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Thirith wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    OT: Is Spooks worth watching beyond S4 or S5? I enjoyed it until Matthew McFadyen left, then I got more and more bored. The last episode I remember seeing is the one that introduces the Lindsay Duncan character.

The current season has been a bit disappointing, but the last couple were really, really good.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

I'd like to see a gollum more akin to the one in the old 70s animation.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are they still holding out on the Extended Edition blu rays?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Given the absolute nightmare this movie's production has been so far, I'm going to believe that this movie doesn't actually exist until it shows up in theaters. That's the only way I can protect my brain. I mean, the trilogy was so fucking fantastic, not to mention made by a then-unknown who was given an unprecedented amount of money from a studio that actually trusted in him, that it's damn near a cosmic miracle it came together at all. Can miracles happen twice?

I really, REALLY hope so.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Are they still holding out on the Extended Edition blu rays?

Yes, I believe the plan is to release them closer to The Hobbit's theatrical release date. So, 2012, if we're lucky.

Atomika on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I seen an interview with Martin Freeman on TV a while back for promotion of Sherlock, the guy is pretty humble and very funny. I think he'll be amazing in this.

Rotam on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The hobbit was pretty much the book I liked the best. Hopefully the movie will be good too.

The other movies weren't as great as people make them out to be.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EDIT: I could definitely see Fassbender as either Bard or Beorn. I agree, he's really really good and has the look of a Middle-Earth man. Maybe we'll get Tennat as King Thranduil. It'd be a nice counter as a wood elf to Weaving's high elf Elrond.

I was under the impression that the wood elf king wasn't actually a wood elf, but a high elf. Also thought he was Legolas's father, so I could be mixing him up with an entirely different character. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing Tennant somewhere, mind you...

Squirrelmob on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

2531010698_681e24f787.jpg

That is a frog, sir.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »

I keep seeing this, and at the risk of derailing the thread I would ask: "How so?"

It seems like popular backlash, more than anything else.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

2531010698_681e24f787.jpg

That is a frog, sir.

Frogs, as we all know, go *ribbit*, not *gollum*.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    he shouldn't be exactly the same gollum, I agree with that

but I think serkis could do fiiiiine

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »

I keep seeing this, and at the risk of derailing the thread I would ask: "How so?"

It seems like popular backlash, more than anything else.

It is probably just a matter of hype. There was so much hype that it made expectations overshoot reality. I mean, they are fine. They are just not great.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Dunno if you've watched it or not, but in the extended edition of Return of the King they had more development of Smeagol's transformation into Gollum--would any of those renditions be more to liking?

Nucker on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Dunno if you've watched it or not, but in the extended edition of Return of the King they had more development of Smeagol's transformation into Gollum--would any of those renditions be more to liking?

Well Gollum's hundreds of years old, and the time period between The Hobbit and LotR is, relativley speaking, rather short (55 years?), so I'd assume that Gollum in the Hobbit would look the same as Gollum in LotR.

Havelock on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Havelock wrote: »

Well Gollum's hundreds of years old, and the time period between The Hobbit and LotR is, relativley speaking, rather short (55 years?), so I'd assume that Gollum in the Hobbit would look the same as Gollum in LotR.

60 years. And I agree. Honestly if they got Andy to reprise Gollum and they used the same motion capture technology I would prefer it if he were almost the same in appearance as he was in LotR. Maybe some minor differences.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

He should look quite a bit healthier at least. For most of his lifetime, Gollum/Smeagol had The Ring in his possession, which pretty much causes you to stop aging (at least past your prime). Then he had 55? years of ring withdrawal as well as being pretty old. It's been a few years since I last read The Hobbit so I don't recall Smeagol's description very well, but I do recall how everyone in LOTR comments how Bilbo hardly looks a day over (insert prime hobbit age here) even as he approaches 111 when he is still in possession of the ring. Then when Frodo and company visit him in Rivendell just a few years later he has largely deteriorated to what someone would expect for his age.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »

60 years. And I agree. Honestly if they got Andy to reprise Gollum and they used the same motion capture technology I would prefer it if he were almost the same in appearance as he was in LotR. Maybe some minor differences.

This is what I'm hoping for. It would just be jarring if Gollum looked far different from LotR. CGI technology has improved since RotK so I suppose he'll look better, in any case.

As for other actors in this movie, what other work has Bill Nighy done? His name sounds familiar, but that's about it.

Havelock on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This is what I'm hoping for. It would just be jarring if Gollum looked far different from LotR. CGI technology has improved since RotK so I suppose he'll look better, in any case.

As for other actors in this movie, what other work has Bill Nighy done? His name sounds familiar, but that's about it.

He can raise a fearsome grump. So, along with being English, this relegates him to Grumpy English roles in Hollywood (the other types of course being Posh British, Cockney British, and Evil British). He was squidface in the Pirates of the Carribean movies, a grumpy rock star in Love Actually, and the Chief Inspector in Hot Fuzz/Shaun's dad in Shaun of the Dead.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Midshipman wrote: »

He should look quite a bit healthier at least. For most of his lifetime, Gollum/Smeagol had The Ring in his possession, which pretty much causes you to stop aging (at least past your prime). Then he had 55? years of ring withdrawal as well as being pretty old. It's been a few years since I last read The Hobbit so I don't recall Smeagol's description very well, but I do recall how everyone in LOTR comments how Bilbo hardly looks a day over (insert prime hobbit age here) even as he approaches 111 when he is still in possession of the ring. Then when Frodo and company visit him in Rivendell just a few years later he has largely deteriorated to what someone would expect for his age.

We was also, you know, tortured, for months if not years.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DHS wrote: »

I would see the movie many times just for this.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

He can raise a fearsome grump. So, along with being English, this relegates him to Grumpy English roles in Hollywood (the other types of course being Posh British, Cockney British, and Evil British). He was squidface in the Pirates of the Carribean movies, a grumpy rock star in Love Actually, and the Chief Inspector in Hot Fuzz/Shaun's dad in Shaun of the Dead.

Ah. That's why he sounded familiar.

Yeah he's perfect for Smaug.

Havelock on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    -SPI- on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know what? I'm not sure I want to see this get made. It seems like it's all coming off on the wrong foot, and that's making it hard for me to drum up any enthusiasm for the project.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah... Pretty much the entire country is fucking pissed over this entire debacle and most of the people responsible are trying their best to duck for cover to avoid the fallout. They started off making illegal demands and when they couldn't get their way, had a tantrum and came up with the idiotic boycott.

Here's a pretty good summary of the entire situation.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Time Warner are requesting that we change our employment law so that they film it here in New Zealand. What an utter load of bullshit.

L|ama on