As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Taylor was fucking robbed, everyone scored that 10-9 for him each round.

Venkman90 on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I'll be looking forward to Mr. Dos Santos' fight. Damn Lesnar got fucked. Maybe he should develop some other strategy than looking down and moving backwards. Hope he comes back strong. Lesnar was classy in defeat, but he was after his first loss to Mir as well.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Am I off-base to think that Lesnar reminded me of Bob Sapp in that fight last night? At least in terms of his weird movements during it?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Am I crazy in thinking that if Lesnar/Mir III goes through that it will be a No. 1 Contender match?

JustinSane07 on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This was the best outcome by far. Awesome main event. Cain dominated Lesnar at everything and brutally finished him in the first round. Perhaps there is some truth to that Sports Science segment posted earlier about how hard Cain hits. It sure broke Lesnars face anyway.

Now we might get Lesnar/Mir III which will be hilarious/entertaining for sure. Then we get JDS vs Cain which, honestly, is also an absolutely crazy good matchup. We'll get to gauge how good Cains hands are and/or we get to see how JDS fares on the ground

Good times.

Overall, decent card. Madsen also surprised me when he brutally dominated Yvel. I mean, I thought Madsen would blanket Yvel a bit, but instead he just runs right over him. Yvel really does not seem to want to fight anymore.

Kampmann/Shields
    Shields didn't look great past round 2. Hopefully he can better his cardio a bit. And, while I thought Kampmann did the most in the fight despite being on his back, I'd rather see Shields in title contention due to his fighting style. I don't think Kampmann would have done well against GSP

Gonzaga/Schaub.
    I don't know what's up with Gonzaga these days. He just seems disinterested and rarely puts on the same kind of offense he used to. He basically threw 2 nice leg kicks and then he didn't accomplish anything else and got technically dominated in a dull fight.

Ortiz/Hamill
    Ortiz looked strong in the first minute of the fight and then just slowed down. His punches didn't pack any power and he had nothing by round 3. Good bye Ortiz :(

Sanchez/Thiago
    Awesome fight. I was rooting for Thiago, but he couldn't keep up in the later rounds. Hopefully Sanchez won't falter against the top tier in this new run towards the welterweight title.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Am I crazy in thinking that if Lesnar/Mir III goes through that it will be a No. 1 Contender match?

that could work

i honestly doubt Dana wants Mir getting a titleshot after the way he earned it against Cro Cop

that performance was lackluster at best

Sweeney Tom on
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    hey, you. what's going on in your sig.

Zombies. Not Korean, just the regular kind

Looks like Schaub is calling out Mir now, but I'd rather see Mir/Brock. Maybe they can give Schaub Mirko or Barry or someone like that

I too was surprised by Madsen fight. I expected him to sit on Yvel for 3 rounds and was pleasantly surprised when he drove right through him instead

I had Shields winning the fight 2-1, but it was a far from impressive performance. He has some work to do before he's ready for a title shot

And I believe that Brock will be the champion again within the next couple of years. I like Brock but the good thing about this loss is it seemingly leaves the heavyweight division wide open. Cain/JDS can go either way, Carwin, Mir and Nelson aren't out of the picture and Brock will come back with a vengeance. Very excited about the future of this division!

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L

you do realize he's aiming at am an who is ducking down and moving away right? It's like saying that if someone decides to turn and run as a punch is being thrown at them the other fighter should be penalized for hitting them from behind. None of those shots were flagrant. They were all aimed at the side of the head in most instances.

Fighters are regularly penalized for that. You don't seem to realize that under current rules, if you hit him in the back of the head, accidental or not, it's a penalty.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

you do realize he's aiming at am an who is ducking down and moving away right? It's like saying that if someone decides to turn and run as a punch is being thrown at them the other fighter should be penalized for hitting them from behind. None of those shots were flagrant. They were all aimed at the side of the head in most instances.

Fighters are regularly penalized for that. You don't seem to realize that under current rules, if you hit him in the back of the head, accidental or not, it's a penalty.

It's a pretty stupid rule, cause Lesnar pretty much ducked into the shots and ended up getting hit in the back of the head, it's the same of fighters dropping to a knee as they get kneed in the face (I'm looking at you Paul Buentello).

Wibod on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, there was no foul play

Also, that knee Cain used to put Lesnar on the ground was beautiful. More knees are needed in MMA <3<3<3

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited October 2010
    Bonus picture

69090_445998048433_535598433_5546977_4251090_n.jpg

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    Yeah, there was no foul play

Also, that knee Cain used to put Lesnar on the ground was beautiful. More knees are needed in MMA <3<3<3

Apparently knees are like legkicks, they don't count on the judges scorecard (he said, eyeing the Shields/Kampmann fight).

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That's right.

The point is that I'm explaining why Brock was so out of it despite his iron chin and Cain's pillow hands, and why Brock was spinning like a ballerina. In an earlier fight, Diego Sanchez was hit on the back of the head by Thiago, while Diego was on top, and when the ref paused the fight to deduct a point and check on Sanchez, Diego was stunned as all fuck. Now imagine a heavyweight constantly bopping you in the back of the head. Those type of shots screw up your equilibrium. Brock was taking all kinds of shots and staying standing, but those shots to the back of the head were the ones that sent him down and kept him down.

Some of those shots were obviously intentional. It's dirty boxing, and he's lucky to have gotten away with it.

back09.jpg
    That is obviously not a shot aimed at the side.

back10c.jpg
    Hammafists straight down from that position can only hit the back of the head.

Brock probably wouldn't even have that cut had he not been stunned repeatedly by shots to the back of the head.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Hopefully Sanchez won't falter against the top tier in this new run towards the welterweight title.

Hmmm, I don't see it really. He can make all the excuses he wants about camps but Hathaway still dominated him at 114 and it wasn't even close. I don't think he will be able to beat anyone he can't take down and at WW that's a long list.

I know he did well off his back with Fitch but standing, his reach will give him fits against a number of them too. I se him losing to Condit, Hardy, Alves, Kos, Fitch, Kampmann, Shields, Hathaway (again), Pyle maybe...

A great fighter but not a contender anymore.

Oh and didn't he say he was heading back to 155 win or lose? can't remember where I heard it...

Venkman90 on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Shields did absolutely nothing in that fight other than lay on him. This fight was a perfect example of what's wrong with UFC scoring.

To be fair, the entire fight was pretty boring. Kampmann was too scared of being taken down to do anything while on his feet, and Shields just didn't have anything left in his tank to submit him.

edit: Regarding Lesnar, whenever he gets tagged, he does this thing where he bows his head completely, splays his arms, and starts running, leaving the back of his head exposed.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited October 2010
    No offense B:L, but thinking that Cain has pillow hands is actually downright dumb. It was a silly thing to come out of Sherdog and nothing else.

8 of his 9 wins have been TKO's - 6 of them in the 1st round. The only decision he had was against Kongo, and Kongo is incredibly difficult to stop with strikes. Cain has dropped all of his opponents, brutalized them and made them quit, and clearly hits hard.

There also was never any severe punch to the back of the head either, which is why no one except you is talking about it here.

Cain hit Lesnar in the face (a lot), which is why Lesnar lost. Also because of a huge and incredibly quick knee. Not because of any phantom strikes to the back of the head.

You could CLEARLY see that Brock was largely unphased by those glancing rabbit punches on your screenshots as he had no loss of composure at all and stood right back up after Cains takedown. According to you they screwed up his equilibrium and cost him the fight which is ridiculous. Brock started to get wobbly once Cain pushed him against the fence and hit him hard on the chin.

The ballerina routine was Lesnar stumbling after a failed takedown. Then they exchange and Lesnar eats a huge knee and a straight right in the face and falls down.

Speaking of Sherdog;

256g0o4.jpg

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No offense B:L, but thinking that Cain has pillow hands is actually downright dumb. It was a silly thing to come out of Sherdog and nothing else.

8 of his 9 wins have been TKO's - 6 of them in the 1st round. The only decision he had was against Kongo, and Kongo is incredibly difficult to stop with strikes. Cain has dropped all of his opponents, brutalized them and made them quit, and clearly hits hard.

There also was never any severe punch to the back of the head either, which is why no one except you is talking about it.

Cain hit Lesnar in the face (a lot), which is why Lesnar lost. Also because of a huge and incredibly quick knee. Not because of any phantom strikes to the back of the head.

You could CLEARLY see that Brock was largely unphased by those glancing rabbit punches on your screenshots as he had no loss of composure at all and stood right back up after Cains takedown. According to you they screwed up his equilibrium and cost him the fight which is ridiculous. Brock started to get wobbly once Cain pushed him against the fence and hit him hard on the chin.

The ballerina routine was Lesnar stumbling after a failed takedown. Then they exchange and Lesnar eats a huge knee right in the face and falls down.

Speaking of Sherdog;

256g0o4.jpg

Ahahahaha.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And, while I thought Kampmann did the most in the fight despite being on his back, I'd rather see Shields in title contention due to his fighting style.

Why?

GSP is just a better wrestler, so what will Shields have for him? (See: Fitch, Jonathan.) I'd much rather see a guy like Kampmann get the shot who could test Georges on the feet or threaten with submissions.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That gif is what made me think of Bob Sapp.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    And, while I thought Kampmann did the most in the fight despite being on his back, I'd rather see Shields in title contention due to his fighting style.

Why?

GSP is just a better wrestler, so what will Shields have for him? (See: Fitch, Jonathan.) I'd much rather see a guy like Kampmann get the shot who could test Georges on the feet or threaten with submissions.

GSP is a better wrestler than anyone in the division, sure, but if a gassed Shields continuously took him down, then a fit GSP will just dominate Kampmann.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited October 2010
    Well, supposedly Shields is a much better grappler than even Fitch. Perhaps he can take GSP down and work some of that nullifying blanket magic? Shields is really really slick on the ground and his biggest fault in the Kampmann fight was his gastank. I think a fully fueled Shields vs GSP could get interesting

I mean, it's not likely. It's GSP after all. But still, it's probably more competitive than Kampmann/GSP.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My other thought about this fight was that if they couldn't close that wound on Brock's cheek during the post-fight, what were the chances of them doing it between Round 1 and 2? I'm thinking the fight would have been stopped by doctor stoppage anyways even if Brock had lasted of the round.

I've never seen a fight stopped over a cut on a cheek, MMA or boxing. Fight-stopping cuts are usually above the eye, because blood dripping into the eye compromise a fighter's ability to see incoming punches.

rrriw.png

BubbaT on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't see Shields having anything for GSP after his performance last night. It'd probably be GSP vs Fitch all over again, but ending with Shields KOed, which is awesome because GSP striking is a joy to watch.

Wibod on
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did shields even really do enough to warrant a shot at the title, and what's all this gsp talk? We'll see what koscheck has to say...... Buahahaa, cant keep a straight face saying that.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    shields should get fitch for the boringest fight in the world
    lets just get it out of the way now

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It seems that a lot of people would like to see UFC champions Anderson Silva (26-4 MMA, 11-0 UFC) and Georges St-Pierre (20-2 MMA, 14-2 UFC) meet in the octagon. UFC president Dana White recently said that if enough people want that to be a reality, it is his job to try and make it happen.

UFC co-owner and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta is one of those people that is anxious to see the bout. He said: "I want to see that fight. That's probably the one fight I really want to see the most."

White initially has spoken against this match because of the huge size difference between Silva and St-Pierre, but has recently softened his position. He said: "They've got a couple of guys they've got to beat before we make that fight, but I'm not opposed to making it."

This can't actually happen until Silva faces Vitor Belfort in February and St-Pierre goes up against The Ultimate Fighter 12 coach Josh Koscheck in December.

Fertitta thinks that if they win both of those match-ups, the fight is inevitable. He continues: "'GSP' has to get past Koscheck; Anderson Silva has to get past Vitor Belfort. If that happens, there's a really good likelihood that we could see that fight – probably some time next summer. ... If these guys keep winning their fights, I think it will definitely happen. One of the things we wanted to do was allow both of these guys to continue to get through their divisions – meaning there were a lot of contenders that deserved title shots. Because they're in different weightclasses, we wanted to let that all play out before we put those two guys together. But I mean we're getting to a point where they've pretty much cleaned out the division. Maybe it's time to watch them and see what happens."

tl;dr If Silva beats Vitor in February and GSP beats Koscheck in December, there is a good chance we'll (finally) see Anderson Silva vs. GSP

Sweeney Tom on
    edited October 2010
    There also was never any severe punch to the back of the head either, which is why no one except you is talking about it here.

The ballerina routine was Lesnar stumbling after a failed takedown. Then they exchange and Lesnar eats a huge knee and a straight right in the face and falls down.
    Well I can't assume everyone is as experienced as I am, so I'm the one talking about it to help inform you about what you may have missed.

For example, you say that Lesnar was stumbling after a failed takedown. At that point you failed to notice the left uppercut that Cain unloaded on him as Lesnar dived forward into it. Even then, Lesnar stumbled but he stayed up. Even after that huge and incredibly quick knee he stayed up. What sent him down was a right straight at the back of his head, clearly not in his face.

back08.jpg

Just so you're informed, the face is not on the back of the head. You're welcome.

B:L and I finished top two for points again.
    You and I are fated rivals.
    Fated to be eliminated from PAFC before our time.

Congrats on the PAFC championship title, Spec!

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    And that the UFC is rigged because Herb Dean absolutely refused to warn Cain even once.

Dana White sure didn't look like it was rigged, he looked depressed.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2j3fk84.jpg

He didn't sound happy either.
    Every dog has his day.

Dana knows which fighters pay the UFC's rent, and it's not guys from AKA. Even for all the promoting of Cain as the first Mexican HW champ, Dana knows that he doesn't have an MMA version of Julio Caesar Chavez - Cain is American. His tattoo isn't even in Spanish.

BubbaT on
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    And that the UFC is rigged because Herb Dean absolutely refused to warn Cain even once.

Dana White sure didn't look like it was rigged, he looked depressed.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2j3fk84.jpg

He didn't sound happy either.
    Every dog has his day.

Dana knows which fighters pay the UFC's rent, and it's not guys from AKA. Even for all the promoting of Cain as the first Mexican HW champ, Dana knows that he doesn't have an MMA version of Julio Caesar Chavez - Cain is American. His tattoo isn't even in Spanish.
    Carlos Mencia.

Also, Shields/GSP would be an amazing grappling match ala Shields/Mayhem, if Shields can find his gas tank again after the weight cut.

• doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You need to give it up, B:L. Lesnar ran around like a chicken with it's head between it's legs. He couldn't hold Cain down for even five seconds.

Lesnar wasn't going to out strike Cain. He wasn't going to out wrestle Cain. He wasn't going to out last Cain. He had no answer for Cain.

Basically, even without "all the punches to the back of the head", it's pretty apparent Lesnar was screwed the first time Cain stood back up from the takedown.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    You need to give it up, B:L. Lesnar ran around like a chicken with it's head between it's legs. He couldn't hold Cain down for even five seconds.

Lesnar wasn't going to out strike Cain. He wasn't going to out wrestle Cain. He wasn't going to out last Cain. He had no answer for Cain.

Basically, even without "all the punches to the back of the head", it's pretty apparent Lesnar was screwed the first time Cain stood back up from the takedown.
    What are you talking about? I picked Cain to win, I have no love for Lesnar.

Brock still had his huge ham fists though, so anything could've happened had he not been repeatedly hit on the back of his head, forcing him to run around like a chicken with its head between its legs. I would still pick Cain to win, but Lesnar would have more of a fighting chance with a competent ref. But that's besides the point. All I'm trying to do is point out where the violations occured and why they had such a big effect on the fight.

I hate fights that are won via nut shots. I hate fights that are won via eye pokes. It's only consistent to hate fights that are won via shots to the back of the head.

• ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the original argument was that someone thought it was silly to say that Cain had pillow hands (a notion originating from the Sherdog forums after the Cheik Kongo fight).

B:L responded by saying that Brock has a Granite chin because he survived 4min against the Cain assault and then said Cain did indeed have pillow hands. It devolved from there

Basically, it is the silliest debate

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a question. What about Fedor? Surely, people will rank him over Lesnar now.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    Forumite wrote: »
    I think the original argument was that someone thought it was silly to say that Cain had pillow hands (a notion originating from the Sherdog forums after the Cheik Kongo fight).

B:L responded by saying that Brock has a Granite chin because he survived 4min against the Cain assault and then said Cain did indeed have pillow hands. It devolved from there

Basically, it is the silliest debate
    You're right, there is nothing to debate.

Cain constantly hit Brock on the back of the head. That's the fact. You can believe that those shots to the back of the head had no effect, but when even Diego Sanchez is stunned by one from Paulo Thiago who was under him, it's clear that those who believe that shots to the back of the head have no effect are wrong.

edited October 2010

What are you talking about? I picked Cain to win, I have no love for Lesnar.

Brock still had his huge ham fists though, so anything could've happened had he not been repeatedly hit on the back of his head, forcing him to run around like a chicken with its head between its legs. I would still pick Cain to win, but Lesnar would have more of a fighting chance with a competent ref. But that's besides the point. All I'm trying to do is point out where the violations occured and why they had such a big effect on the fight.

I hate fights that are won via nut shots. I hate fights that are won via eye pokes. It's only consistent to hate fights that are won via shots to the back of the head.

Lesnar did pretty well in the opening minute of the fight actually. He hit Cain a few times but just didn't last in the exchanges, because when Cain got hit he just powered forward and when Brock got hit he either did the ballerina dance or went into fetal position on his feet.

Unfortunately he reacted much the same way against Carwin. Hopefully this will not become a trend for him

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
    edited October 2010
    Forumite wrote: »
    Lesnar did pretty well in the opening minute of the fight actually. He hit Cain a few times but just didn't last in the exchanges, because when Cain got hit he just powered forward and when Brock got hit he either did the ballerina dance or went into fetal position on his feet.

Unfortunately he reacted much the same way against Carwin. Hopefully this is not a trend
    I've said it before.
    While I do not agree with B:L's assessment that Brock has no punching power
    Never said that.

Brock's fists are light.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Why?

I'm curious about this. Shields isn't so much a great wrestler as a great grappler. He beat Fitch in a grappling tourney, which seems to indicate he would be on a semi-even standing with GSP. I'm also fairly certain that Fitch would pillowhands Kampmann for 3 boring rounds with Kampmann landing 1-2 strikes and another 29-28, 30-27, 29-28-type decision for Fitch. Do you really want to see a guy who is not one of the three best @ his weight fighting GSP?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited October 2010
    Shields is a pretty good wrestler too, actually. His takedowns leave something to be desired, but once he's got people on the ground he can do some pretty excellent stuff

[edit] Also that recent video of him outwrestling Ben Askren, the olympian guy

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So after rewatching it, and as much as it pains me to agree with B:L, the shot that dropped Brock for the final time was a solid blow to the back of the head. It wasn't just behind the ear, it was clearly a solid back of the head hit.

I think Brock was gonna get his ass kicked anyway, but it was an illegal shot.

Cabezone on
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    So after rewatching it, and as much as it pains me to agree with B:L, the shot that dropped Brock for the final time was a solid blow to the back of the head. It wasn't just behind the ear, it was clearly a solid back of the head hit.

I think Brock was gonna get his ass kicked anyway, but it was an illegal shot.
    Thank you, that's all I'm trying to point out. Brock would still be outclassed by Cain, but it wouldn't have been utter domination without those shots to the back of the head.

After that last standing shot to the back of the head, notice that Cain gets on top and lands one more right to the back of the head, then two hammafists straight down to the back of the head, followed by Lesnar rolling over and then Cain landing one more left to the back of the head which bounces Lesnar's head forward.