As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TERA and Vindictus look kind of neat, but they're both very, very Korean.

Today's article is an art dump.

reVerse on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck yes. High res concepts arts, mmmmmm.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

I think rifts is shaping up to be a contender as well.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From their Facebook site: More art!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxIhTZEEWL8&hd=1

Athaedos on
    edited October 2010
    There was one more article from PCGamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/21/guild-wars-2-to-have-dlc-microtransactions/

Talks about the business model mostly.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As long as it's pay-for-content, and not pay-for-better-equipment, I'm ok with the system.

Peccavi on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Louie wrote: »

I think rifts is shaping up to be a contender as well.

TERA is pretty awesome, Vindictus is also very fun hack and slash. With better character options, I think Vindictus would be really really cool.

I won't play Rifts due to the art style and character models. Just not liking it.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Athaedos wrote: »
    From their Facebook site: More art!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxIhTZEEWL8&hd=1

This gave me chills. It's going in the OP Art section so hard.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another piece of art for the para-monk-thing at 2:50? Curious to see what that will actually be.

Really great stuff though, just makes me want to buy the art book even more. The one that comes with the original GW CE is worth taking a look at if you get the chance.

chasehatesbears on
  • Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another piece of art for the para-monk-thing at 2:50? Curious to see what that will actually be..

I was just coming here to posit that that was a mesmer wielding a scepter and a shield, but looking at it again, I see that he does seem to be wearing heavy armor. Damn, there goes my clever moment for the day.

Still, I think scepter + shield is a potentially interesting equipment option, and also that throwing down spectral weaponry as a mesmer would be rad. Yeah, I built a pretty elaborate story of what's going on in that concept art in my head. Sigh.

Architeuthis Dux on
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It looks more like a mace than a scepter to me, but either way it works for the second soldier class.

Jenosavel on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'm sure that's just a glowy mace and not a scepter.

Architeuthis Dux on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are there awards for Video Game concept art?

If there aren't, they better bloody well be invented just for Guild Wars 2.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
    edited October 2010
  • TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    2011: The first ape astronaut returns to earth after 20 years of being MIA

TheOrange on
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daniel Dociu is the kind of mad talented that I would be terrified to work under. Only artists and talented as ANet's can survive him passing by without cowering in awe.

Jenosavel on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's with all the Charr hype?

Maybe it's a personal thing, but the Norn seem cooler. Or maybe it's the fact that ever since I had a furry roommate in college, animal races in fantasy games have been ruined forever for me.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's just a matter of if you're into bestial races, and I don't mean like a furry. Me personally, I'm usually not into the animal races because I connect more with races that are closer to humans. Dwarves, Barbaric humans, stuff like that is what I like to play generally.

I do think the Charr seem pretty awesome, but chances are I'll be playing Norn.

Joshmvii on
  • AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I used to prefer slightly exotic races in my video games, but since playing Mass Effect 2, it's Yoomanity First all the way.

Auberon on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've never thought of Charr as especially furry-ish.
    I like to think they don't have a lot of role playing range outside of let's set this shit on fire.

For once, I am actually finding all the races in a game appealing. I'm just a little hesitant on the Sylvari since we only have a vague idea of what they're like.

Also curious to see the Human/Charr/Sylvari equivalent to Norn bear form and Asuran golems or whatever they're being called.

chasehatesbears on
    edited October 2010
    Anyone who likes the Asura is an enemy of freedom and democracy.

reVerse on
    edited October 2010
    I don't dislike the Asura. They are intellectual/scientific, which is something I value. Plus they have The Brain. That said, they are the race I am least interested in actually playing (I will have an alt for every race though).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Asura look like the kid from Hey Arnold banged an alien and had a kid, so yeah, not gonna play one of those.

Joshmvii on
    edited October 2010
    I'm surprised by how much I don't hate the asura. I usually can't stand "funny little people" races -- gnomes, halflings, motherfucking kender, etc -- but the asura seem to be rolling with the arrogance thing (like 50% elf, 50% engineer) rather than forced wackiness, and that's intriguing. I still don't want to play one, because they look like ambulatory mutant foetuses, but I can see there being cool story and even roleplay there.

Architeuthis Dux on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone who likes the Asura is an enemy of freedom and democracy.

So does that make Sylvari lovers baby-eaters and neo-nazis?

As far as the love for charr, I'd imagine the hype comes from an orc race that aren't goddamn orcs. Besides, how many of the other races are gonna STOMP?

Asura displease me, though seeing them in action after playing Guild Wars makes me antagonize 'em less. Cept the bookah thing.

Norn and humans are interesting enough. The norse feel is always welcome, though it'd be nice to see them in action. Humans always work as the best casters for me in MMOs.

naengwen on
  • VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have to agree on the hooman thing. But man, I'd love to play a Charr character, and one of those weird leafy duders too, rest of the races seem meh to me :/

Varethius on
    edited October 2010
    I find the Norn the least "interesting". They are a bit 1-dimensional as a race. Warrior-viking brawn-over-brains people. Ok? At least I can relate to the regular humans' diversity and such.

Asura are far better than, say, gnomes, which are more or less silly. I think ANet made a mistake in not making the Asura more vicious, albeit brilliant, goblin-types (note: NOT Warcraft goblins) though. I kind of expect them to be a bit rougher around the edges being an underground race.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I will justify my indominable support of the Charr in a sentence:

They are steampunk, gun wielding, Roman legioned, badass, horned cats who kick ass, take names and don't let anybody tell them what to do or how to do it, they just do it themselves and for themselves.

Norn are slightly less good but are up there too. Charr are just the best because of their originality and the way they blend things together well.

All the races, even the Asura, have attractive character and features, but for me, the Charr are the best.

Also, the next person to suggest that Charr are the "furry" race, I will find you with my Charr Gunslinger character when this goes beta/release, and I will fill your puny character full of holes. Cus that's how we roll.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited October 2010
    Do you not worry about the type of people who will roll the most badass/furry class? You have the potential to draw in some, how shall I put this, interesting characters.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    I find the Norn the least "interesting". They are a bit 1-dimensional as a race. Warrior-viking brawn-over-brains people.

Are they? I get the impression they're pretty spiritual. I'm working mainly off what we've heard about Eir from the races video, who is explicitly contrasted against the charr character's "guts and guts and more guts and maybe some glory but mostly guts, seriously you should see our cleaning bill" attitude.

Architeuthis Dux on
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, a lot of the Norn's background states that they're pretty serious about their spirituality with the various nature spirits they worship, especially The Bear. When creating a Norn player character, one of the personal story options will be which spirit you identify with/revere the most.

Though speaking of backgrounds and races/classes meshing, I wonder how they'll explain Asuran Warriors. I know there's Asuran Warrior NPCs in Eye of the North, but I wonder if they're considered the dumbasses of their society or if they just pride themselves on the study of tactics and anatomy of the "Which spot bleeds more when I cut it up?" variety.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

They are steampunk, gun wielding, Roman legioned, badass, horned cats who kick ass, take names and don't let anybody tell them what to do or how to do it, they just do it themselves and for themselves.

Norn are slightly less good but are up there too. Charr are just the best because of their originality and the way they blend things together well.

All the races, even the Asura, have attractive character and features, but for me, the Charr are the best.

Also, the next person to suggest that Charr are the "furry" race, I will find you with my Charr Gunslinger character when this goes beta/release, and I will fill your puny character full of holes. Cus that's how we roll.

By "we", I assume you mean furries.

Peccavi on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Louie wrote: »
    Do you not worry about the type of people who will roll the most badass/furry class? You have the potential to draw in some, how shall I put this, interesting characters.

The more you worry about shit like that, the less fun you'll have playing videogames.

Core's gonna have a nice juicy list by release. I'd help him hunt 'em down on my human elementalist, but I dunno if he'll be the elementalist yet.

EDIT: dag, nm. He just said next person :x

naengwen on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »

By "we", I assume you mean furries.

Yes he does, furries love to fill things with holes. And their dongs. Their furry dongs.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My ears were burning again. What's this? "Caedere, why haven't you featured Charr/Charr action in your avatar or sig yet?"

You people are why we can't have nice things. :x

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Thank goodness for Worgen-playable. I suspect it will act as a sizeable buffer against contamination of the Charr legions.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honestly, just play what you enjoy playing, who gives a fuck whether or not someone you dislike also plays the fictional race with the same 3d mesh as your own in a pretend world.

Glal on
    edited October 2010
    My comment wasn't really in all seriousness. I think mmos have changed a lot over recent years, however my experience in swg and wow when they both went live was that certain factions were definitely more mature which usually meant more fun and less bullshit encountered.

I honestly don't even know what race I would pick, the idea of having some sort of mech is appealing but the asuna ......

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Actually, the type of people I expect to roll Charr are your generic Night Elf Hunter / UD Rogue kids.

"lol cool, angry monster-cats, most badass race.. omg with guns!!!11 boom headshot!" etc.

That makes me much more sad than any potential rule-34 nonsense, or even the occasional weird RP.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited October 2010
    The Night Elf types aren't gonna roll Charr, they're gonna roll Sylvari.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.