As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh [chat]...

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like the part where she has a great rack.

Tav on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    "Stupid shit weeaboos say" is not a regional accent. It's not anything.

Depends how you define "regional".

It's perfectly possible for teenagers to have spent massive amounts of time communicating primarily with a social group that is not necessarily nearby in the geographical sense, and consuming media that doesn't necessarily reflect the accents and modes of speech of people in their immediate geographical area.

The way those kids talk isn't anything more linguistically noteworthy than the way sports fans communicate with one another.

If you say so. I'm just pointing out that there are influences on accent and mode of speech that can be just as, if not more significant than location.

Can you cite some of them?

Because the anime-fan subculture example is a pretty bad one, and as DK noted: It's forced, not genuine.

I have known a lot of people a few years younger than me who grew up with cartoons from the US who use US words for things quite naturally, phrase sentences in ways that seem familiar from US TV shows and suchlike. The big example is a friend of mine who has always used sidewalk instead of pavement.

That's far more genuine an example. I still think it falls well short of being grouped alongside regional accents (some of which are extremely distinct) and the african-american urban slang which we've come to call ebonics, which is at times so divorced from standard English as to render communication difficult to say the least.

Regina Fong on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's perfectly possible for teenagers to have spent massive amounts of time communicating primarily with a social group that is not necessarily nearby in the geographical sense, and consuming media that doesn't necessarily reflect the accents and modes of speech of people in their immediate geographical area.

The way those kids talk isn't anything more linguistically noteworthy than the way sports fans communicate with one another.

If you say so. I'm just pointing out that there are influences on accent and mode of speech that can be just as, if not more significant than location.

Because the anime-fan subculture example is a pretty bad one, and as DK noted: It's forced, not genuine.

Well, there are plenty of white guys in this city with strong Caribbean accents, despite the vast majority of people they encounter not having such an accent. If their social circle is such that they spend most of their time with a select group of people who have retained, or picked up from family, a particular Caribbean accent, chances are that's how they'll speak.

japan on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I may play as a lady for the express purpose of bedding alistair

Get the equal love mod and Alistair will love your penis.

ps3 : (

although I love that new vegas has a perk that gives you gay options in some conversations

Casual Eddy on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Well, that is no bad thing I guess. I'm not sure how I'd cope with such friends, if I had them. Although I guess I was able to hang out with a few Goths for a couple of years without catching it, or freaking out - so maybe it would be ok

Honestly it's far worse if you actually speak Japanese. If you don't, you can dismiss it as "Oh, that's kinda weird."

If you do it often feels like you're listening to text speak. Except instead of misspelling everything, it's grammatically nonsensical.

I hope you tell them off in fluent Japanese.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of my best friends in high school was pretty goth. But she was mature enough to not act like a moron. Just liked the fashion and enjoyed metal and dudes with long black hair and yelling.

Aldo on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    I like the part where she has a great rack.

an an added bonus, with the sound off that video if fantastically bizarre

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just shaved for the first time with a real razor and not an electric one and why the fuck didn't I do this sooner

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, that is no bad thing I guess. I'm not sure how I'd cope with such friends, if I had them. Although I guess I was able to hang out with a few Goths for a couple of years without catching it, or freaking out - so maybe it would be ok

Honestly it's far worse if you actually speak Japanese. If you don't, you can dismiss it as "Oh, that's kinda weird."

If you do it often feels like you're listening to text speak. Except instead of misspelling everything, it's grammatically nonsensical.

I have actually cussed out people in Japanese.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited October 2010

although I love that new vegas has a perk that gives you gay options in some conversations

Haven't played new vegas, is that console only? I am not a console gamer. PC all the way for me, and with all the glorious problems that go along with it, you get mods.

Regina Fong on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

oh?

hmm...

I suppose I should check this out

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Haven't played new vegas, is that console only? I am not a console gamer. PC all the way for me, and with all the glorious problems that go along with it, you get mods.

It's on Steam.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2010
    Wait, Japanese people cuss each other out? I thought they were as polite as Canadians.

Regina Fong on
    edited October 2010

Well, there are plenty of white guys in this city with strong Caribbean accents, despite the vast majority of people they encounter not having such an accent. If their social circle is such that they spend most of their time with a select group of people who have retained, or picked up from family, a particular Caribbean accent, chances are that's how they'll speak.

I know this short beef blond white dude

who speaks seriously heavy kebab-norwegian (young immigrants and immigrant's sons, generally from pakistan, speak this. They're like norwegian gangstas.)

it's fucking hilarious listening to him

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I just shaved for the first time with a real razor and not an electric one and why the fuck didn't I do this sooner

I went in the other direction because I don't like bleeding and am horrific at using things with actual blades.

Like, all things with blades. I'm ok with knives, but everything else is horrific. A couple weeks ago in jewelry I cut through a piece of metal and only later realized that I'd somehow positioned my hand so that I was sawing through my thumbnail.

Shivahn on
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I just typed into Google "What is desu speak?" and this thread /page was the third result

Kalkino on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

oh?

hmm...

there's a lesbian one too, I can't remember what it's called but the gay one is called "confirmed bachelor" and gives you unique chat options and 10% extra damage to other males

although as I understand it there's only a few people that react to this perk. mainly for flavor in that regard

Casual Eddy on
    edited October 2010

I went in the other direction because I don't like bleeding and am horrific at using things with actual blades.

Like, all things with blades. I'm ok with knives, but everything else is horrific. A couple weeks ago in jewelry I cut through a piece of metal and only later realized that I'd somehow positioned my hand so that I was sawing through my thumbnail.

I think he's talking about the gazillion blade razors man and not like a straight razor so

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010

oh?

hmm...

there's a lesbian one too, I can't remember what it's called but the gay one is called "confirmed bachelor" and gives you unique chat options and 10% extra damage to other males

although as I understand it there's only a few people that react to this perk. mainly for flavor in that regard

It was the same way for Lady Killer and Black Widow in FO3.

Shivahn on
    edited October 2010

I just typed into Google "What is desu speak?" and this thread /page was the third result

We're famous.

Regina Fong on
    edited October 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I think he's talking about the gazillion blade razors man and not like a straight razor so

It doesn't matter how many blades, I'll find a way to cut myself.

Shivahn on
    edited October 2010
    So I started playing Alpha Protocol and it turns out I'm terrible at being stealthy. Just awful. Should I stop now or can the game be played as someone who is... more violent and less stealthy?

Regina Fong on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

oh?

hmm...

I seduced a ton of people with Black Widow in F3, also 10% more damage to 90% of foes was p. good

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010

It doesn't matter how many blades, I'll find a way to cut myself.

as long as you don't slice with it you won't cut yourself

it's easy

also you can't really do a lot of damage without substantial effort

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited October 2010

We're famous.

Now we simply need to monetise this fame and we can all live like Z list kings

Kalkino on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I started playing Alpha Protocol and it turns out I'm terrible at being stealthy. Just awful. Should I stop now or can the game be played as someone who is... more violent and less stealthy?

let's combine all the conversations and note that not being able to play a woman in Alpha Protocol was pretty shitty

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I kind of want a straight razor but I'm worried it'd make me a wanker

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

oh?

hmm...

I seduced a ton of people with Black Widow in F3, also 10% more damage to 90% of foes was p. good

My game was so modded that that didn't really matter. The damage, that is. It was practically an FPS by the time I was done with it.

Shivahn on
    edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

let's combine all the conversations and note that not being able to play a woman in Alpha Protocol was pretty shitty

Well it's not like there are any women employed in the espionage field.

Regina Fong on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah I don't think I'm ready for a straight razor yet. or ever. I honestly don't care that much.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

We're famous.

Now we simply need to monetise this fame and we can all live like Z list kings

For a while my politics thread was the third or fourth result for "midterm midtacular". I think it's down to 7th now.

Captain Carrot on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Cut-throat razors are for the charming, sophisticated serial killer.

Aroused Bull on
    edited October 2010
    Also, duck videos!

Kalkino on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wouldn't worry about becoming a wanker if I were you. :whistle:

Aldo on
    edited October 2010
    Damn, one of my banks is really keen to lend me money.

I don't even get statements from them and they still send me a "Why not take out a personal loan!" letter once a fortnight. Now there is an interstitial ad for their personal loans between the log in page and the accounts screen of my online banking.

japan on
    edited October 2010
    yeah I don't think I'm ready for a straight razor yet. or ever. I honestly don't care that much.

I think it'd be nice to shave with one. I enjoy spending a lot of time shaving, it's basically zen meditation but with thousand-bladed plastic shit there's just so much you can do in terms of technique and whatever

also I want to have one in my shoe like the Bride

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited October 2010

I need this so I can use it to freak the shit out of my cats.

japan on
    edited October 2010

I don't even get statements from them and they still send me a "Why not take out a personal loan!" letter once a fortnight. Now there is an interstitial ad for their personal loans between the log in page and the accounts screen of my online banking.

Lloyds do this to me. I get most weeks an invitation to borrow 15k or an invitation to upgrade my account. What an awesome use of resources

Kalkino on
    edited October 2010

Lloyds do this to me. I get most weeks an invitation to borrow 15k or an invitation to upgrade my account. What an awesome use of resources

Same group of companies, so probably the same policy now being applied to the other brands.

japan on
    edited October 2010

Same group of companies, so probably the same policy now being applied to the other brands.

Well at least they are dedicated right? Keeping the mail companies in business etc.

Kalkino on
This discussion has been closed.