As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[T.E.R.A] - So much plated thong your eyes will bleed

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aion is a visually inspired game with insipid gameplay.

Tera is a visually inspired game and if that video is any indication it might actually be fun too.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just disappointed the game isn't coming out till 2011. That's an awful long time to wait.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Mandres wrote: »
    Does look awesome! I'm looking forward to this one. Love the art style and the combat looks interesting. The Koreans sure are making some technically-advanced MMOs these days. Aion and TERA make our stuff (T.O.R. for example) look like Everquest in comparison.

If only they could avoid the horrid exp grinds that Asian MMO gamers seem to thrive in, they would be making godly MMOs that would murder WoW several times over in the NA and EU markets. Aion is correcting this now, slowly, but that was the main reason I gave it up within a few months. Too much grind after 30 with next to no endgame incentive to justify the investment.

Agree 100% I loved Aion until the mid-30s and then the grind became way too oppressive. If the lvl cap had been 40 at release instead of 50 I think it had the potential to make just as big a splash in NA as it did in Korea.

Hell, if I were running that game I would have lvl capped the population at 30 for the first month, then raised the cap 5 levels and released their accompanying content/zones every month after. It would have kept the majority of the population around the cap and made for some really kickass world-pvp, which was really the whole focus of the game.

Mandres on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I sort've agree on Aion... when I first started playing, I was really blown away by the awesome graphics, but it didn't take long for me to tire of the game play. I thought flight would bring an interesting new dynamic to MMO play, but instead it was just another way to make grinding mats even more tedious. I never even got to experience the post-30 grind because I got tired of it within my first month of play.

I am hoping that Korean developers are finally starting to 'get it' about North American players... we don't want to fucking grind all day. Most of us, anyways. If they put in a strong questing and levelling system to go along with that rockin' combat, this could be The New Hotness.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just don't understand the cultural divide. Can you actually and truthfully say that Asians love grinding all day? I think it's more complicated than that. I think they have some semblance of an imagination, but are just used to working longer to achieve their goals. I think in the West we're just more used to instant gratification. I think if they were introduced to our hedonistic way of life they could finally understand that it's okay to have fun in an online game.

I love the production values that go into Asian MMOs, but can't get over how shallow and grindy they are. Also, they're just far too shiny, immaculate. If we could combine two successful teams - one from the West and one from Korea - to make an MMO, I think the result would be amazing.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just don't understand the cultural divide. Can you actually and truthfully say that Asians love grinding all day? I think it's more complicated than that. I think they have some semblance of an imagination, but are just used to working longer to achieve their goals. I think in the West we're just more used to instant gratification. I think if they were introduced to our hedonistic way of life they could finally understand that it's okay to have fun in an online game.

I love the production values that go into Asian MMOs, but can't get over how shallow and grindy they are. Also, they're just far too shiny, immaculate. If we could combine two successful teams - one from the West and one from Korea - to make an MMO, I think the result would be amazing.

Yes. Korean gamers actually like grinding, brutally unfair open pvp, and a few other things that American gamers have rejected.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yes. Korean gamers actually like grinding, brutally unfair open pvp, and a few other things that American gamers have rejected.

Absolutely. I mean, you can turn it into a "Koreans are just harder workers than lazy americans" argument, but when it comes down to it... yes. They like grinds. And yes, TERA will probably be super grindy. And I don't think twitch combat will make you forget it's grindy. The problem isn't how cool the combat looks/feels. The problem, at least as I see it, is spending 45 seconds killing one enemy. That's the grind. If you fought, say, little groups of ten enemies, with the same total health, etc, and could just run through enemies after enemies, I think gamers would mind the grind far less. I have yet to see this really tried, though.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    For me grindy is "Go kill 20 of these dangerous creatures. Oh, now that you are done with that, go kill these other 20 dangerous creatures that were standing right next to the first batch but I conveniently forgot to mention them."

And then there is "Bring me 5 dangerous creature pelts that have a 16% drop rate despite it being the creature's SKIN."

Can't stand that. If I have to kill lots of creatures fine, whatever. Just don't try to dress it up all pretty like I am not actually just murdering everything I see for hours on end.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Absolutely. I mean, you can turn it into a "Koreans are just harder workers than lazy americans" argument, but when it comes down to it... yes. They like grinds. And yes, TERA will probably be super grindy. And I don't think twitch combat will make you forget it's grindy. The problem isn't how cool the combat looks/feels. The problem, at least as I see it, is spending 45 seconds killing one enemy. That's the grind. If you fought, say, little groups of ten enemies, with the same total health, etc, and could just run through enemies after enemies, I think gamers would mind the grind far less. I have yet to see this really tried, though.

Obviously you have not been watching the TERA videos. The very first ones they released from the first Beta showed exactly that. A group of little mobs that go down really easy and a regular mob.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Obviously you have not been watching the TERA videos. The very first ones they released from the first Beta showed exactly that. A group of little mobs that go down really easy and a regular mob.

I did watch the videos, but it was a few months ago, I admit. Is this a common theme, though... or just a few enemies in certain zones? If it's something you will run into often, awesome. I love the idea of just ripping through enemies by the dozen. What's more badass?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I love the way every enemy has a tell for each of their attacks. It's going to make every encounter like a boss fight or something.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

AoC has done this beautifully IMO. As a barbarian you can round up up to 5-6 same-level mobs and human-blender them into paste with the help of a few CCs. In fact, with the stances stacking over time the longer you fight the more badass you get, the more enemies you can take on. It's great fun. Plus the melee combat is focused on action with combos and dodges not unlike what they're trying to do with TERA. With the expansion things have gotten a bit grindy but the game still ranks as my favorite MMO (and nowhere near as grindy as games like Aion). It's a shame it's so overlooked by people who prefer the plastic, shiny look of Asian MMOs.

Seriously though, I don't understand that kind of mentality. Koreans are known to be some of the most skilled gamers in the world. Doesn't this seem like a lot of talent wasted on mindless repitition?

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aren't most games that are made now mindless repetition? i mean really when you break it down you don't really think very hard about playing a game, koreans are some of the best gamers in the world BECAUSE they are so good at mindless repetition, its all muscle reflex for them

edit: that said i love korean mmos and that makes me a giant whore D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's sort of specious to argue that "all games in the end are grinds". The only thing that really matters is how well the grind is hidden. If you feel like the game is a total slog and takes forever to do anything and is repetitive and boring, then it is a serious problem.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    MarkJWMarkJW Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh crap, I forgot this thread existed. Did you guys watch the demo that was featured on GameTrailers a few days ago? If not, go check it out. It's awesome. :)

MarkJW on
    PAX Prime 2013 Checklist   ➤   ✔ Enforcer Badge   ✔ Hotel   ✔ Flight

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aren't most games that are made now mindless repetition? i mean really when you break it down you don't really think very hard about playing a game, koreans are some of the best gamers in the world BECAUSE they are so good at mindless repetition, its all muscle reflex for them

edit: that said i love korean mmos and that makes me a giant whore D:

At least you can progress faster in a non-Korean MMO, so you get to see new mobs, zones, skills, and equipment about 10000 times faster than you would in a Korean MMO. Sure they are both grinds, but at least in one you get new shit every few hours to stimulate your brain a little bit, while the other you might as well be on an assembly line in a factory line without being paid for the rest of your life. It doesn't help that every Korean MMO uses the same engine.

But that isn't this game. Unless it was announced that they are adopting the one level per month grind rate, which will make even an action MMO boring.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not that Koreans enjoy grinding. That's false.

There are just a large group of people that enjoy management. Americans included.

It's not about "I LOVE KILLING 1000 MOBS OVER AND OVER IT'S THE BEST THING EVER."

It's the "Well, this zone seems to have a high respawn rate of these mobs, that give a certain amount of experiance, however it takes X amount of seconds longer to kill said mob, when I can just go to this zone, kill these mobs for lesser experiance, however their kill speed is indeed a bit faster, and with this consumable I'm getting X amount more EXP AN HOUR YES. LESTS DO THIS SHIT".

It's the sense of discovery and achievement when you do hit the "grinding zone" when hour's fly by like minutes, you're getting hilarious amounts of drops, and racking in good experiance.

Now, no one nowadays is paitent enough to ever do this again ever. Which is kind of sad, because it is fun.

Transporter on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

There are just a large group of people that enjoy management. Americans included.

It's not about "I LOVE KILLING 1000 MOBS OVER AND OVER IT'S THE BEST THING EVER."

It's the "Well, this zone seems to have a high respawn rate of these mobs, that give a certain amount of experiance, however it takes X amount of seconds longer to kill said mob, when I can just go to this zone, kill these mobs for lesser experiance, however their kill speed is indeed a bit faster, and with this consumable I'm getting X amount more EXP AN HOUR YES. LESTS DO THIS SHIT".

It's the sense of discovery and achievement when you do hit the "grinding zone" when hour's fly by like minutes, you're getting hilarious amounts of drops, and racking in good experiance.

Now, no one nowadays is paitent enough to ever do this again ever. Which is kind of sad, because it is fun.

I'm sure you understand why a lot of people don't enjoy that. I would have to turn my brain off or smoke a ton of weed before sitting in an area killing the same mobs over and over again with the same skills for hours becomes enjoyable, or even passable. It comes down to how many times I can do the same tedious action with no variation before I say "Fuck this!". There's patient and then there's working for a reward that never comes.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember playing Red Alert, Total Annihilation and some other games with a couple Korean guys. They were both very competitive. When I ran a troop transport full of Tanya units into their base and wreaked havoc, they spent a week practicing strategies to crush me.

Also recall them playing many hours to gain better equipment just to kill other players and then gloat about it.

Think it is a case where some people will spend a load of extra time "grinding" to obtain an advantage.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really hope there is some kind of spec system in place. I really loved the tactics idea in warhammer. Just little things that modify existing abilities allowing for different playstyles without dramatically changing a class.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I can see where it might be fun to figure out a good spot to get lots of XP and drops, because there's a sense of achievement there, like you've pulled one over on the game itself and other people.

Where that hits a wall face-first, though, is that it's not fun to just sit there and push the same couple of buttons over and over again for hours on end, watching the same animations (because lets face it, most MMOs don't have a ton of variety here) and inching your way forward to whatever minor goal all this effort might achieve.

All games (especially MMOs) have a certain amount of grind to them, but the good ones, as have been stated, try to mask the grind beneath a quest structure that not only breaks up the mob killing into smaller chunks, but also occasionally adds other challenges, as well as a narrative that helps to give context to the area the player is acting within.

TERA has some pretty rad combat, but if it's just all grinding, it's going to get boring fast. Hopefully the devs are gonna put some cool questing in to help match the frantic fighting.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is the one I've been looking out for, actually. If it's solid when it drops a bunch of rl buds and some guys from my WoW guild are planning on jumping ship. That's not to nay-say WoW, but something new is in order and if an action-mmo actually delivers on the 'action' part, well color me sold. I think I'd end up loving the grind since I'm the kind of person who buys every Dynasty Warriors (and spinoff!) and never gets bored of them (except for 6 because it sucks bad).

Fragarach on
  • Options
    FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    It's sort of specious to argue that "all games in the end are grinds". The only thing that really matters is how well the grind is hidden. If you feel like the game is a total slog and takes forever to do anything and is repetitive and boring, then it is a serious problem.

This is an excellent way to put it! I think most games where there is character development contain various levels of 'grind' and when you buy an MMO (with very few certain exceptions) you are pretty much signing up for just that. Just like you said, however, I don't want to feel like I'm grinding and certainly don't want the 'DEAR GOD IS IT OVER YET' stab-my-eyes out feelings certain games give me *cough L2 Aion cough*.

Fragarach on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Looks like they are making some pretty cool changes/additions. Adding more skills to each class, allowing for class customization with Glyphs (ability cooldown reduction, damage increase, etc.), and achievements.

http://www.tera-online.com/news/news_view.php?seq=315&cpage=1

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, I'm just now stumbling upon this. I've been getting an itch for something MMO'isk, used to play tons of Lineage 2 back in the day.. I was curious to see if Lineage 3 was in the works, did a quick Google search, which pointed me to Wiki, which told me about Lineage 3 = TERA. Here I am, excited for Q1 2011!!! Looks really good!

edit: oh, and I'm totally fine with tons of plated thongs as long as their not on any male builds haha ;)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah...soo...

I hope you intend on never playing a Male Castenic.

Or laying eye's on one. Ever.

If there is one thing about Tera it's that the exploitation is mutual.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I was just buzzing around on the TERA forums when I noticed something for the first time....

Warriors are going to be Evasion Tanks!

They start with the highest hit points and a bunch of aggro building skills. It's going to be weird seeing a light armor wearing, dual wielding tank bouncing around the battlefield.

Also, based on my experience in the backroom at PAX, it seems kind of weird since Lancer is the Tanky Tank, and Berserkers are stand still and fight with a dmg. reduction block (best in the game according to the TERA guys that were there) and they wear heavy armor, so they can be pretty Tanky too.

Lancer= Tank
    Warrior= Evasion Tank
    Berserker= Tank?
    Slayer= Melee DPS in heavy armor

Consider me confused and a bit disappointed. I was hoping that Warrior would be a dual wield melee DPS.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are you disappointed that you can't find a two-handed DPS class or just that the class named Warrior isn't it?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Are you disappointed that you can't find a two-handed DPS class or just that the class named Warrior isn't it?

I am disappointed that there doesn't appear to be a dual wield melee DPS class, no matter the name.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TERA_HalloweenArticleImage.jpg

Halloween contest. Win a bunch of stuff and also beta invites;

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11051

And some random new screenshots;
    2s0bv2o.jpg
    2nls3mp.jpg
    257osjb.jpg
    2w2imio.jpg
    fay5wy.jpg
    23hocq0.jpg

Looking good so far.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Those snow areas look exactly like the Canukistanian tundra.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Been watching some videos on their site and in the "Tera Character Class Debut Video" they show the raccoon guys but also there appears to be some squat little cat like characters. Am I mistaken or is this the western answer to the loli girl problem?

EDIT: In the elementalist bit briefly at 1:22 if anyone is interested.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pretty sure I read a post on their forums that they won't be changing the loli-girl for the westernization. The "racoon guys" race actually come in several animal forms. Cats, pandas, raccons, rabbits, etc. I think one of those character customization videos on an earlier page shows the combinations.

edit: yeah here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjnq6QJbyS0

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aha that will be that then, just watching through some other videos and I had no idea how varied in looks those guys could be and don't see how anyone can resist playing one of the funny little fuckers.

EDIT: bulldog with a pipe, yes please!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do the Loli girls just get different animal ears then?

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Little short bulldog carrying a HALBERD that is taller than he is!

Huzzah!!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Louie wrote: »
    Do the Loli girls just get different animal ears then?

I think only a few (less than 5) variations have been shown in screenshots or video. I would assume because they haven't put in the development time yet. The few variations do show the ears being different, but I'm sure you'll be able to change the hair/color, maybe the tail as well. Or maybe the tail type is linked to the ears so you'll only be able to change the ear/tail "set" during creation.

edit: I think it 's just the face that gives the loli impression. all the pics I've seen use the same face. Giving it a more adult face will just make it seem like a tiny person.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Of course the Teddy Bear that made an appearance in some promotional images doesn't help.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Haha, yeah that's probably an issue as well.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am not sure I will be able to resist playing a fat old bearded racoon with a hammer and a pipe. Beating up the big monstrous races with a fat old bearded racoon with a hammer and a pipe is essentially fantastic.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg