As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Crysis: Warhead - Big momma jamma (S6, final set)

• KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good job, just a small note; if you're going to snipe with the FY71 (or SCAR), don't use the silencer. It will reduce your damage greatly over long distances.

Also I know you're past that point now, but you get some funny dialogue if you try to paint the ship with the binoculars when you're still on it.

Karmond on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I know about the silencer things; it's one of the only things I absolutely detest about Crysis. The way they handle the suppressor is one of those idiotic things devs do because some group of idiots out there think suppressors somehow make the bullet slower. So rather than making suppressors work like they actually work, the devs made it work the way some people think they're supposed to work.

Normally it isn't a big deal, but sometimes I forget I have the suppressor on and wonder why the hell a regular KPA soldier is just eating bullets and not dying. Good thing the shotgun never, ever has that problem.

:twisted:

Ninja Snarl P on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In case no one else has told you good sir Snarl... the music and BOOM BOOM BANG get quite loud. So loud in fact I can barely hear the in game voice let alone yours sometimes.

Also...
    LOL Stalker. <3

npc.EXE on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd actually rather the game be louder than me most of the time so people can hear the game rather than myself. But the Crysis music does get really, really loud, even when I'm just recording. I won't mind turning that down at all; actually, I don't even really like dynamic music for games like Crysis. It's like having a huge, blaring indicator that something big is happening rather than just letting the game take care of telling you that. It's not like Halo's music where it's all designed for specific levels and cutscenes.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, Crysis. This game blew me away. I went in expecting some gimmicky, half-assed shooter, like everything else using the CryEngine.

Then I found myself in a great open expanse shooting stuff with water bottles, because my arms functioned like kinetic cannons. So good. I just wish I was able to play it above the second worst graphical setting.

Crysis showed me what playing as the Predator in AvP should have been. Shame about that whole alien mess in the second half. I mean, sure, you can grab them while in strength mode, but it just wasn't the same as going dual pistol, maximum speed and then zipping between crates and killing a squad one by one. It was like that scene in [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq85kxJfcLA&quot;]Batman Begins at the dock[/vidURL], except Batman had a cooler suit.

I just watched the sets, beginning to end. I love how the KPA just keeps showing up behind you at every turn. Your narration is what I expect Nomad, if he weren't some faceless PC, would be saying.

Will you be doing Warhead, after this?

Edit: Also, what does CryTek have against letting you hold onto your well earned gun-pieces? In both Crysis and Warhead, after acquiring every little gadget for your gun, you get captured and lose them. Then you don't even find most of them at any place in the game, afterwards. It was worst in Crysis than Warhead, though.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited September 2010
    Just a little bit of an update, but I'm struggling with Youtube right this very second to get the latest set uploaded. It's also double-sized like the last one, but Youtube is really making this one arduous. I'd like to say it will be up today, but sadly I really don't expect it to be finished until tomorrow.

And yeah, I'll be doing Crysis Warhead after this. I might just tack it on to the same LP because I hear it's shorter, but I'll have to do some checking first.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warhead is indeed shorter. It's about 1/3 the length of Crysis. Though it has about as much action packed into that. There's nearly no downtime.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    Wow, that's a lot shorter. Oh well, I got both games as part of a cheap Steam sale and haven't even gotten to try Warhead yet. Plus, wasn't it supposed to just be an expansion anyway? Can't really complain about an expansion being a third the size of the original.

I've also got something in mind to bridge the gap between the two which I think will go over quite well, so I'll be running Warhead LP just as an extension of the first game.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, Warhead is a standalone expansion. Basically covering Psychos adventure from when you get separated.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    Do you want an update? Well too bad, here's an update! In fact, it's another double-sized update! It is also the sneakiest set to date. Yeah, you might think somebody can't be stealthy in a front-line battle tank, but they can! Just keep in mind my definition of sneaky, which would involve something along the lines of dead men telling no tales.

So yeah, tanks. And an inverted chopper landing which I have nothing to do with. And incendiary ammo, which is both brilliant and I'm pretty sure is also a warcrime. Also, make sure you pay attention to your objectives; just because you think you have to go to this big open quarry doesn't mean you actually have to go there yet. Humvees are also less capable of jumping gaps than you might otherwise believe, but they are 100% capable of exploding specacularly in a highly amusing fashion.

Set 7 - How to sneak. In a tank.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Your part 2 and 3 links are showing the same video.

You have 3 in your playlist on youtube but you've got 2 linked twice.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited September 2010
    Alright, should be fixed up now. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh yeah, and for those so inclined, all of my LPs have now been consolidated into proper non-hideous continuous playlistss, Crysis included. I've gone through and checked everything manually but, if there's an issue feel free to let me know and I'll get it fixed.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, should be fixed up now. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh yeah, and for those so inclined, all of my LPs have now been consolidated into proper non-hideous continuous playlistss, Crysis included. I've gone through and checked everything manually but, if there's an issue feel free to let me know and I'll get it fixed.

:^:

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    Forget Moose un Squiverel! These commies needa worry about agents Frog and Turtle!

And sometimes Kiwi.

Edit: Gah, this makes me wanna run through Crysis again. I just beat it, Warhead and Far Cry 2. I still needa finish off Far Cry 1 (only about half way done). Power suits and weapon modding, though...

Klash on
    edited September 2010
    Upside down helicopters, jammed tank treads, and the protagonist getting jacked for attempting to sequence break? Schadenfreude lalapalooza.

Great set Snarl.

npc.EXE on
    edited October 2010
    Back to the usual time for sets, but now I have finally officially embraced the 15-minute limits; this means fewer parts but each one is obviously longer than before.

So the last set was a big tank battle and then this one has a big stack of soldiers I have to burn through at some kind of refinery or factory. The soldier/machinegun ratio turns out to almost be 1:1; I'm not talking about assault rifles here, I mean heavy machineguns and miniguns. Oh, and KPA supertroopers, but they aren't real bright and my shotgun is a fast talker. They can really take the hits, though, which I suppose is what happens when some Commie genius scientist decides to just bolt some plate armor onto the knockoff nanosuits. Which wouldn't bother me so much except I'm wearing on of the expensive actual supersuits and for some reason nobody could find a few extra grand in the budget for "metal plates" and "duct tape".

And I don't want to spoil things too much, but this petty little jerktator had no idea what he was getting into. Well, his face didn't. But my fist knew exactly what was going on.

Set 8 - THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE
    EDIT: If you're watching this right away, part 2 apparently still had some processing left to do but should be ready shortly.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited October 2010
    "...turn on your night vision."

"NO."

:^:

npc.EXE on
    edited October 2010
    Look, by that point, the same guy had ordered me halfway across the island as well as ordering me to take out I don't even know how many minor installations plus a couple of big ones. By myself. If he wants to see what's going on, he can march himself down into the caves and see for himself. I don't need green-o-vision getting in my way along with his bossy attitude.

And then he tells me that I'm just out of luck when it comes to helping me get out of the busted elevator stuck under a couple hundred feet of collapsing rock. They could have at least tied some ropes together to make a big rope to haul me out of the place. But no, I just have suck it up and hope my little elevator doesn't get crushed like a beer can under a steamroller.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • GFishyGFishy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if you've already tried this, but I seem to recall MAXIMUM STRENGTH making me like the minigun a whole lot more.

GFishy on
    edited October 2010
    Ah, the worst part of the game happens. You lose all your goodies and get stuck fighting aliens that can't be cloaked around, aren't fun to grab and also they smell bad.

Klash on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Strength would definitely kick up the minigun accuracy, but the problem is that if I use Strength over Armor I'll live about a half a second. Overall, the minigun is just a throwaway weapon anyway. You have to spin it up before you can even fire it, the firing accuracy without Maximum Strength is pretty bad, it chews through ammo pretty fast, and its damage really doesn't offset the fact that you can't reliably headshot with it.

So when I use the minigun, it basically boils down to burning through it in a single short fight. In comparison, I can kill about 500 soldiers, 83 tanks, a fighter wing, and an aircraft carrier with my trusty shotgun.

And yeah, the stuff with the aliens isn't great at first, but the scenery is pretty nice. However, I'm warning people right now that the zero-G parts may bother those who are affected by motion sickness. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but there is lots of darkness with pretty lights, no recognizable horizon points, no real ceilings or floors, and the first-person view while maneuvering in that environment. I don't know if it will bother anybody, but I also don't want people to make themselves queasy because they don't know what's coming up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Ah, the worst part of the game happens. You lose all your goodies and get stuck fighting aliens that can't be cloaked around, aren't fun to grab and also they smell bad.

You can cloak near them, they just have a larger detection range if you move. It does work, it's just harder.
    You can grab them and punch the shit out of them. You can also just beat them to death with your bare hands.
    They do smell bad though so I'll give you that one.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love the "boss" fight in the caves. Minigun vs Fist only goes one way.

EtherealWalrus on
    edited October 2010
    Today's set ended on such a cliff hanger. I thought I'd get to see Ninja spin in circles helplessly for a couple minutes at least. Now I have no choice but to come back for the next batch, if I want to see slimy, sparkly aliens getting shotgunned in their faceholes.

I never knew about the choke on Crysis the shotgun. It just flat out didn't occur to me that I could change the firing mode. I feel like I missed out, by always having the Gauss but never using it (gotta save it just in case there's a bigger giant grab after that giant grab I'm currently fighting). I could have been blowing people off of ridges, instead of throwing them.

You can cloak near them, they just have a larger detection range if you move. It does work, it's just harder.
    You can grab them and punch the shit out of them. You can also just beat them to death with your bare hands.

I know you can actually do these things, but its just not worth it or fun. For the most part they're being dropped on you, you're not converging on a base of theirs or anything.

It just completely ruined the great time I was having punching Korean dudes and pretending it was Aliens vs Predator. Seriously, Crysis was the best AvP game I've ever played.

And seriously, whats with that smell? I mean, sure, they've been inside a mountain-ship for thousands of years, but c'mon. They can turn all the water in the environment into insta-ammo, but they can't turn it into a shower? Yuck.

That isn't to say it was a bad time, though. It was just a completely different game than the one I had started. It went from AvP to a straight shooter.

Klash on
    edited October 2010
    I see the fortress as more of a neat exploration sequence than an annoying fight. It's fairly unique and is kind of a cool-down after a massive fight through tanks and an army and a bit of a breather before the pretty action-packed events which follow. Plus, I like how you're basically floating through what is basically an alien base where all the alien are walking around in their skivvies after just having woken up only to get murdered by some primitive ape using bits of high-speed metal as a weapon.

Personally, I probably would've gotten bored if the entire rest of the game was still killing the same KPA soldiers. While they're pretty neat as far as AI enemies, they still all basically just shoot at you with one of a few weapons. They're fine when you're fighting them, but too much longer and they would get pretty dull. Then the game changes everything up in a big way and, even though the twist isn't really unexpected, the gameplay changes go in a direction you don't expect.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited October 2010
    I'm not saying the game was bad, certainly not held against any other shooter in the last 5 years. However, I was really, really, really enjoying my AvP. Which made playing Warhead so fun, because I got to get back to it, temporarily.

I completely agree, though, too much KPA would have been boring. I was disappointed when I was done, because I had such a good time. I realized if the game went any longer, I would have gotten bored, though. Its weird how modern shooters are often very brief, even if very good, but I can't imagine playing them past the 10/12 hour mark for some reason.

I'm one of those weirdos that actually enjoyed AvP 2010 (although I'll easily admit it made big mistakes and omissions), but if I had to put up with more of it (despite wanting more of it), I think I would've hated it.

I guess what I'm saying is I like games that let me freak out humans by cloaking or otherwise disappearing and then watching them fire at every sound in the environment. Something about video game cruelty potential that just makes me happy.

Klash on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Today's set ended on such a cliff hanger. I thought I'd get to see Ninja spin in circles helplessly for a couple minutes at least. Now I have no choice but to come back for the next batch, if I want to see slimy, sparkly aliens getting shotgunned in their faceholes.

I never knew about the choke on Crysis the shotgun. It just flat out didn't occur to me that I could change the firing mode. I feel like I missed out, by always having the Gauss but never using it (gotta save it just in case there's a bigger giant grab after that giant grab I'm currently fighting). I could have been blowing people off of ridges, instead of throwing them.

I know you can actually do these things, but its just not worth it or fun. For the most part they're being dropped on you, you're not converging on a base of theirs or anything.

It just completely ruined the great time I was having punching Korean dudes and pretending it was Aliens vs Predator. Seriously, Crysis was the best AvP game I've ever played.

And seriously, whats with that smell? I mean, sure, they've been inside a mountain-ship for thousands of years, but c'mon. They can turn all the water in the environment into insta-ammo, but they can't turn it into a shower? Yuck.

That isn't to say it was a bad time, though. It was just a completely different game than the one I had started. It went from AvP to a straight shooter.

Oh well fun is another matter. That's up to you of course. I had fun. I agree it was a very different experience though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Let me just say how much I'm enjoying this LP. I followed your STALKER LP's, but at least my computer can run those games. With no chance of playing Crysis, I'm kind of catching up on what I've felt I've missed out on.

Keep up the good work.

Burgu on
    edited October 2010
    So here's another warning: if you get motion sick, you probably want to skip this set. FPS play in zero gravity probably won't play well at all with motion sickness.

Anyway, yeah, I venture on into the huge alien mountain fortress ship thing. And wouldn't you know it, these guys have blaring alarm systems too. Not to mention the smell; I bet Nomad can smell that one alien's breath right through his airtight future helmet. But as usual, my Universal 12-Gauge Diplomat smooths right over any cultural differences. Fire bullets help too, I suppose.

I'm also serious about the bit where the aliens are probably just pissed about not inventing directional signs. Massive ship, anti-gravity, weird alien guns, and then the dirty primates one-up the whole of the their advanced civilization by slapping words on signs telling people where to go. I bet it took the aliens a couple hundred thousand years just to figure out how to give directions in cities and towns where everyone flies and nothing is labeled.

Set 9 - Yuck, alien breath

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited October 2010
    The good news is a make a clean escape from the alien fortress. The bad news is that the aliens freeze the crap out of pretty much everything. The best news is that the shotgun still works against aliens in what I assume is the alien equivalent of power armor.

Having everything frozen like this is actually pretty neat. You spend all this time on a lush, verdant tropical island and a huge chunk of it is frozen in literally seconds. So not only is it a pretty big change of scenery, but you also see troops from both sides frozen mid-action. It's an interesting way to put an ice level in the middle of a tropical island. And on top of that, you also end up fighting a couple new varieties of enemy.

Oh yeah, and Prophet shows up with a great retro-fitted alien weapon, but who didn't see that coming? Getting to shoot the aliens with their own ice-needles is great, too. I imagine getting hit with those things is like getting punched in the ear when it's really cold, except also like getting stabbed and it hits you everywhere. Getting to return the favor is a nice touch.

Set 10 - I totally knew you weren't dead

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited October 2010
    Aha! Vindication!

See? It becomes Armour/Strength, cloak becomes pretty silly with the aliens. Warhead was a lot of fun to fight aliens, though. Something about it was just better, maybe the aliens were improved?

Also, I am certifiably insane and liked the flight sequence in Crysis. In fact, I might have to replay that mission. This may or may not reflect poorly on me.

Edit: Oh yeah, Strictland? Super badass. When I heard that line, I was just going "No! He's too badass to die!"

Klash on
    edited October 2010
    The flying part doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think Crysis does a great job overall of gradually escalating the scale of the game. You start off running around on foot, upgrade to bigger and bigger stages up to and including a big tank portion, and then end flying a VTOL aircraft over miles and miles of terrain to escape this massive non-explosion. But seriously, getting the top of a palm tree jammed in my aircraft? There's just no way that even makes sense.

As for the alien portion, I think it's actually pretty remarkable that so much effort went into something like the last eighth of the game. Yeah, they aren't a whole ton of fun to fight, but you really don't end up fighting them for that long anyway. And they're actually a lot more forgiving than the KPA troops, which means you don't instantly die because some guy is just out of your field of vision.

Anyway, this next set will probably be the last for Crysis and then the transition video to Warhead after that. Warhead supposed to be pretty short, so I'm going to go ahead and ask for suggestions for my next LP now. I'll be asking on my Youtube channel as well, but obviously Penny Arcade requests are going to carry a lot more weight.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ninja, are you dead D:?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

He's probably busy.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • BurnsBurns Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »

He's probably busy.

or dead.

Burns on
    I only posted here for the blue dot.
    edited October 2010
    Good call on the dead thing. But I got better.

No, I've actually been pretty busy. However, I do have the final set recorded and I am editing it right now for encoding and upload. As is plainly obvious, I've also been jailed until December, so that definitely settles the issue of continuing the Crysis: Warhead LP in this thread (can't make new threads when you're jailed). Part of the delay has been hoping I could get my infraction at least reduced, but alas, no response on that front so I'll just have to hope being jailed doesn't interfere too badly.

As for this set, there are some rather annoying technical issues. For one, Crysis just doesn't like to play nice with FRAPS so that caused some weird performance issues. Second, Crysis managed to hard lock my system a couple of times, requiring a complete and total system restart. This is a pretty impressive feat considering I managed to get through all three STALKER games in my LPs and not a one of them managed to completely lock my system up despite being a notoriously glitchy series. Third, Crysis will actually let you get to a point where you cannot beat it by locking you out of a path which lets you go back and get the magic gun you need to actually win. I'm sure the viewers will get a lot more enjoyment out of the moment than I did.

So. Keep an eye out for the final Crysis set which will likely be up tomorrow but I really hope I can have up by late afternoon/early evening. However, I don't expect Youtube to really cooperate with me this time around, especially after all the other annoying issues from this set.

EDIT: Huh, holy crap, I just realized that I have two sets recorded and I skipped over Set 11. So the bad news is that the final set probably won't be up until tomorrow, but the good news is that there will hopefully be a set out today and a final set out tomorrow. Good thing I decided to double-check.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Better jailed than dead I always say.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
    edited October 2010
    No, I have no idea how the hell a palm tree does something like this; I'm just the guy who has to deal with the results. Fighting ancient stranded flying aliens with a VTOL jet with a palm tree crammed in your fuselage sounds more like some bizarro mega-bachelor-party screwup than a video game. On the upside, Nomad's stories to his grandchildren about his days as a special forces guy are going to sound awesome.

I really wish I could just super-punch this admiral right in the mouth and make him choke on teeth. When the island you're attacking is covered in a nightmarish sub-Arctic icestorm, a guy in a super-suit shows up with hours of video regaling his crazy adventures with the high-tech aliens, and a science chick is telling you not to fire the nuke, DON'T FIRE THE NUKE. I don't care if it's authorized by the President because the President didn't just spend a couple of hours floating around in antigravity getting shot with space ice needles and brutally murdering groggy aliens. I'm sure if our situations were reversed, the President would be slightly more hesitant about dropping a nuke on the aliens without making sure it doesn't juice them up first. Also, he would probably come up with a more shotgun-based solution since shotgun apparently don't care about the color of your blood as long as you bleed. And even if you don't bleed, it still might not care.

Set 11 - Go to hell, palm tree

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited October 2010
    Alright, here's the concluding set to my Crysis Let's Play. As usual, thing went perfectly smoothly. "Perfectly smoothly", of course, representing the game managing to hard lock my system twice
    in the same fight and also allowed me to get locked into an unwinnable game situation. Oh, and just ignore the jibber-jabber about not having updated for a while at the beginning at this set; I actually forgot I had a set 11 so I thought it had been longer than I remembered since I'd recorded a set.

The total system locks were weird, but I assume it was some sort of mixup between Crysis, FRAPS, and my antivirus software. However, I was pretty suprised when I found out that the game will totally let you walk into an unwinnable situation and then basically lock the door behind you so you can't fix it. On the upside, Admiral Jerkface does get aliened to death right in front of me so there is a good bit of satisfaction there. Oh, and blow up a big alien ship with a shoulder-fired tactical nuclear warhead. And personally, I just would've let the chick fly out the open hatch for being dumb enough to stand up and watch a big alien ship get destroyed instead of buckling up. Nanosuit or not, my first order of business after getting on that VTOL would've been to strap in.

I'm also fairly certain Nomad suffered extensive hypothermia-related brain damage. There's just no other reasonable explanation for why he wants to go back to the island now that the aliens are pissed off, the KPA are pissed off, and the entire fleet is now gone so there is no backup. Not to mention the expanding alien sphere of ice consuming the island. Idiot.

Final thoughts about the game:
    I think the ending isn't especially impressive. There is really no good reason whatsoever for the nuke launcher to have to lock on to fire at that short of a range other than the devs trying to make the fight seem more perilous by forcing you to stand still for several seconds. On top of that, the deck ends up covered in the smaller alien enemies with the bigger ones constantly strafing you plus freeze rays here and there.

As for the game as a whole, I'd say it's pretty strong right up until you get outside the ice sphere and you're fleeing the aliens. Fighting the KPA is entertaining, the switchup to the aliens has a decent buildup (especially with things like the mountain falling apart and you seeing the structure underneath), and initially the alien sequence is pretty decent. I'd actually say the game peaks at the point where you've just exited the sphere and have to help a bunch of soldiers fend off the aliens. Past that point, most of the signature elements of the game are pretty much gone. After the VTOL escape, you lose all the neat scenery of the jungle and the frozen bits, virtually all the environmental destructability is gone, and the game basically turns into a corridor shooter with you killing a few aliens at a time. And because of how the major fights at the end are constructed, enemies which were at least tolerable to fight before become a huge annoyance since you just want to kill the big things and move on. Having to choose between getting constantly strafed while focusing on big baddies or constantly frozen while attacking the little ones is pretty aggravating.

Personally, I think the game should never have left the island. A big confrontation on the beach between the US forces and the aliens would've been much, much better. There's a big invasion hoopla right in the middle of the game which is pretty impressive, but it would've worked much better with some sort of beachhead assault.

Certainly not a bad game, but it just stumbles at the end. It seems to me like the devs just didn't really have a good idea of how to handle the aliens once they popped up so the game becomes a very standard "kill the aliens" FPS without all the other neat stuff the game has.

Set 12 - Shut the hatch! As for Crysis: Warhead, I'll have to use this thread with some sligh modifications. Mostly, I'll just be changing the title and adding a section in the OP for the Warhead sets. And it turns out that the fun thing I wanted to do as a transition between the games was far easier to accomplish than I expected. I've only dabbled slightly in working with 3D editors, but Crysis does actually have a pretty fantastic editor which made my idea take no more than a couple of hours to work out. It's nothing world-shattering, but I think the results will be worth at least a grin or two.

So keep an eye out for a return of this thread (under a new title), say, about some time in the latter half of next week for the Let's Play of Crysis: Warhead. And unlike Crysis, I've never played Warhead so I hope it has some surprises for me. Also, the armor voice will now be a sexy lady voice since [strike]Jason Statham[/strike] Psycho is obviously not the kind of guy who would put up with some bland guy voice for super-spandex suit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *Staring as you run out of the armory and get blocked from getting the TAC cannon, chuckles*

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil